The Guests from Hell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are not there to provide them with a good time...you are there to provide them a bed and breakfast..beyond that..they are on their own! I too hope they don't show up for your sake. PUt them on your PITA list!

Yes, but my very point was that they have NOT arrived yet. They may show up and act like nothing ever happened...if they show up and are as nasty as we're expecting, then she should not have to deal with them, or at least not alone..
We're probably nearing the kicking a dead horse point, but just because they haven't physically arrived yet, doesn't mean their attitudes, tone, demeanor and transgressions didn't occur. If all the trouble was coming only from the daughter and not also the actual two people coming for the stay, I'd be less inclined to keep going over this, but that isn't the case.
For some reason comparisons and analogies work for me when describing stuff or hoping to spur more ideas, so I hope you don't think I'm egging you on or purposely being antagonistic.
Maybe I'm not wrapping my head around this because frankly, after all that has transpired with all of them, I just can't picture myself as the guest being able to walk into this B&B and feel right knowing the kind of crap I, my wife and my daughter just hurled on this innkeeper.
Over $170?
I'm almost to the point of asking that we all take up a collection and send it to The Farmer's Daughter for her to give to her boss and be done with it, then go tell the guests that the house burned down over night and they needn't bother showing up.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We're probably nearing the kicking a dead horse point, but just because they haven't physically arrived yet, doesn't mean their attitudes, tone, demeanor and transgressions didn't occur. If all the trouble was coming only from the daughter and not also the actual two people coming for the stay, I'd be less inclined to keep going over this, but that isn't the case.
For some reason comparisons and analogies work for me when describing stuff or hoping to spur more ideas, so I hope you don't think I'm egging you on or purposely being antagonistic.
Maybe I'm not wrapping my head around this because frankly, after all that has transpired with all of them, I just can't picture myself as the guest being able to walk into this B&B and feel right knowing the kind of crap I, my wife and my daughter just hurled on this innkeeper.
Over $170?
I'm almost to the point of asking that we all take up a collection and send it to The Farmer's Daughter for her to give to her boss and be done with it, then go tell the guests that the house burned down over night and they needn't bother showing up.
That is a splendid and very generous idea, and I thank you all for your kindness and insight. It is not necessary, but appreciated. Thanks guys.
This couple is arriving tomorrow at 3pm. I will deal with these folks to the best of my ability. It was my suggestion to move them to another room because the room that the daughter chose is a corner room that has 2 things going against it.
#1) It face the street on one side (I'm the one with the road construction)
and
#2) It faces the neighbor with the drums on the other. (Ever wonder if the Universe is laughing at you? I have.)
I figured that moving them to the rear of the Inn would hopefully nip the potential 3rd problem of noise, in the bud. If they are squawking like wet hens before they even arrive, the noise factor will not help the situation.
I will let you know how it goes....(fingers crossed)
Ah. THAT would have been an excellent reason to let them off the hook from the get go. 'I'm glad you have decided not to come as construction has just begun on the street.'

Another post brought to mind a very unpleasent phone conversation I had several years ago. This person had been given a GC which was about to expire. If I recall it only had 1 week or so left. The call was heated on THEIR end from the beginning because THEY had procrastinated and were wanting to argue about the date. How dare I have an expiry date on and on... Due to the fact I only had one room, only one night left for that weekend, which was again my fault that I only had 5 rooms, I offered to extend the GC for one month, under the conditions he booked NOW for the time and that once the reservation was in the books, the GC would be applied and listed as void. At first THAT too was unreasonable but he went ahead and reserved. I dreaded that weekend to come...my stomach in knots.. They turned out to be a great couple, complementing at every turn, and have sent others. So Farmer's Daughter, the moral of this story is - don't worry it could turn into something positive. (I will contine to keep my fingers and toes crossed for you - just in case.
wink_smile.gif
)

UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
Quick question for you guys. The GFH will be arriving shortly. I was curious to know how you would handle the topic of the "upgraded room".
Would you not mention it and just show them to it.
Tell them you have decided to upgrade them.
or ?
260151.gif

Open to suggestions. I don't want to 'reward' them for being jackasses.
9529.gif

"Due to the nature of your stay (the anniversary) and the roadwork in progress, we have decided to arrange accommodations for you in a more secluded location of our inn. We hope you will enjoy the room."
I wouldn't give them any satisfaction in the deal. It is YOUR choice to move them; not your reaction to their demeanor.
Make sure they are aware of that, whether it's the roadwork or whatever.

UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
Quick question for you guys. The GFH will be arriving shortly. I was curious to know how you would handle the topic of the "upgraded room".
or ?
260151.gif

9529.gif
I like Penelope's answer. Something to the effect about the unexpected road construction and how you moved them so that they could enjoy their special day, not because they pitched a fit on the phone.
Good luck!!

UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
or ?
260151.gif

9529.gif
I would say "I know we got off on the wrong foot and would like to upgrade your room to make your stay more enjoyable" or something like that.

"Due to the nature of your stay (the anniversary) and the roadwork in progress, we have decided to arrange accommodations for you in a more secluded location of our inn. We hope you will enjoy the room."
I wouldn't give them any satisfaction in the deal. It is YOUR choice to move them; not your reaction to their demeanor.
Make sure they are aware of that, whether it's the roadwork or whatever..
I would not mention the roadwork... I would just show them to the room and not mention it. You know, you also run the risk of them being tee'd off because they aren't getting the room they ordered...if they chose it for a specific reason...Most of the time, we don't upgrade without asking first, especially in our bunk bed room, because they often choose it for kids, who would be dissappointed to not have the bunks...
You could always call back and offer them the voucher again, telling them that the roadwork is happening, and you think they might enjoy your place more at a different time... gives them time to cool off...and you don't have to worry about the noise on top of everything else...

UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
or ?
260151.gif

9529.gif
I would say "I know we got off on the wrong foot and would like to upgrade your room to make your stay more enjoyable" or something like that.
PERFECT!! Makes an effort without being a butt kisser

UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
or ?
260151.gif

9529.gif
Mr.Design said:
See, I wouldn't acknowledge the conversation at all. If you do, it might seem as though you are catering to their bad attitude. If you are just YOU and YOU have made the decision in THEIR best interests (wink, wink), you can show them that you won't be swayed by their lack of manners and civility. Don't ever let them see you sweat. That's what I've learned.
One other thing: people who offend you (general you, not specific you) don't think about you as much as you think they do. They were probably just reacting to the situation in their way. I wouldn't let them think that they got to you ONE IOTA. Make the switch on your terms, not theirs.

UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
or ?
260151.gif

9529.gif
Mr.Design said:
See, I wouldn't acknowledge the conversation at all. If you do, it might seem as though you are catering to their bad attitude. If you are just YOU and YOU have made the decision in THEIR best interests (wink, wink), you can show them that you won't be swayed by their lack of manners and civility. Don't ever let them see you sweat. That's what I've learned.
One other thing: people who offend you (general you, not specific you) don't think about you as much as you think they do. They were probably just reacting to the situation in their way. I wouldn't let them think that they got to you ONE IOTA. Make the switch on your terms, not theirs.
I think you have to acknowledge the phone incident. You know it happened, they know it happened. If neither one of you says anything the tension is going to be that much thicker.
I think if you just say you've made the decision to upgrade them and not mention the call then they're going to think you're trying kiss their butt and you're nervous about it all.
Acknowledge the call, show there's no hard feelings by giving them the upgrade and go from there or otherwise like I said, it's going to be very tense.

penelope said:
Ah I LIKE that. And I'd ignore the history of the phone call. I'd even pretend that I forgot it since we get so many booking requests that I can't remember all of the conversations.If they bring it up think a minute and then Oh yes! I recall now! Thank you for coming! YOur daughter obviously thinks the world of you yada yada
Like was mentioned before , you probably have them on your mind more than they have you on theirs.
We make things so much bigger than they are because we worry and care.
RIki

UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
or ?
260151.gif

9529.gif
Mr.Design said:
I think you have to acknowledge the phone incident. You know it happened, they know it happened. If neither one of you says anything the tension is going to be that much thicker.
I think if you just say you've made the decision to upgrade them and not mention the call then they're going to think you're trying kiss their butt and you're nervous about it all.
Acknowledge the call, show there's no hard feelings by giving them the upgrade and go from there or otherwise like I said, it's going to be very tense.
Mr.Design said:
I think there is a possiblilty that they wouldn't. So many guests think we have some kind of answering booking service. They'll be talking to me when they arrive and they'll mention talking to someone when they booked (also me) and have no idea that we are the same person. We're a three bedroom place but I would say the general assumption when people are on the phone is that we are some big resort with all kinds of employees doing all the work. The irony of that assumption is pretty comical ...if you like sadistic comedy... but I think it happens more often than not.

UPDATE PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
or ?
260151.gif

9529.gif
Mr.Design said:
Mr.Design said:
I think there is a possiblilty that they wouldn't. So many guests think we have some kind of answering booking service. They'll be talking to me when they arrive and they'll mention talking to someone when they booked (also me) and have no idea that we are the same person. We're a three bedroom place but I would say the general assumption when people are on the phone is that we are some big resort with all kinds of employees doing all the work. The irony of that assumption is pretty comical ...if you like sadistic comedy... but I think it happens more often than not.
If it happened a few weeks ago I might agree; however, this was only yesterday morning.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
IF, and I repeat, IF we were to ever have an employee and hoped to have them stick around very long, I can without say hesitation, our loyalty to and support for that employee is worth much more than a one night stay for a couple of louts. Bad PR fallout or not.
This is so important. Employee support is so crucial. I am fiercely loyal and supportive of my employers...in turn, they are supportive of me and my quest to be an innkeeper one day.
However, no matter which way you cut it, FD has probably lost a little sleep over the incident and no one else has.
BTW, it's after 3 p.m. EST, wonder if they've checked in yet.

penelope said:
Ah I LIKE that. And I'd ignore the history of the phone call. I'd even pretend that I forgot it since we get so many booking requests that I can't remember all of the conversations.If they bring it up think a minute and then Oh yes! I recall now! Thank you for coming! YOur daughter obviously thinks the world of you yada yada
Like was mentioned before , you probably have them on your mind more than they have you on theirs.
RIki
"I'd even pretend that I forgot it since we get so many booking requests that I can't remember all of the conversations."
That approach might work better if:
a.) The hours worth of abusive phone calls from the three of them didn't just happen yesterday.
b.) It was only the daughter calling and NOT also both of the two standing in front her who undoubtedly WILL remember what transpired and given their insolence and hostility may even enjoy rubbing her nose in it a little if its brought up in any way.
"If they bring it up think a minute and then Oh yes! I recall now!"
See above. What is FD supposed to do, act like those wasted, highly stressful and abusive several hours were like some pleasurable chat with these folks?
"Thank you for coming!"
Yup, that should come off incredibly sincere given the circumstances.
"YOur daughter obviously thinks the world of you yada yada"
Why would you think that? Because she chose this B&B?
Or because she went on a multiple hour, threatening, abusive, disrespectful tirade ruining the day of someone who now has to suck it up and put on a front for two people that also jumped into the brawl and piled on.
Two people, I might add who are now the beneficiaries of FD's boss's lack of consideration for and devalueing of his or her employee to the tune of $178.00
IF, and I repeat, IF we were to ever have an employee and hoped to have them stick around very long, our loyalty to and support for that employee is worth much more than a one night stay for a couple of louts. Bad PR fallout or not.
In fact, unless FD's boss isn't in the same state today, that person should be the ONLY person required to have any dealings with these guests from the minute they check in until they check out.
For me, as soon as we were reminded that FD simply works for someone as an employee, this issue stopped being about to upgrade or not, putting on a happy face or positive spin on things, etc.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
IF, and I repeat, IF we were to ever have an employee and hoped to have them stick around very long, I can without say hesitation, our loyalty to and support for that employee is worth much more than a one night stay for a couple of louts. Bad PR fallout or not.
This is so important. Employee support is so crucial. I am fiercely loyal and supportive of my employers...in turn, they are supportive of me and my quest to be an innkeeper one day.
However, no matter which way you cut it, FD has probably lost a little sleep over the incident and no one else has.
BTW, it's after 3 p.m. EST, wonder if they've checked in yet..
"I am fiercely loyal and supportive of my employers...in turn, they are supportive of me and my quest to be an innkeeper one day."
So, just for the sake of this discussion, if this had happened at the B&B you work at, when exactly would your employers have stepped in and taken over the reins on handling this incredibly difficult and tense situation?
After the first irate phone call?
I hope so.

penelope said:
RIki
"I'd even pretend that I forgot it since we get so many booking requests that I can't remember all of the conversations."
a.) The hours worth of abusive phone calls from the three of them didn't just happen yesterday.
b.) It was only the daughter calling and NOT also both of the two standing in front her who undoubtedly WILL remember what transpired and given their insolence and hostility may even enjoy rubbing her nose in it a little if its brought up in any way.
See above. What is FD supposed to do, act like those wasted, highly stressful and abusive several hours were like some pleasurable chat with these folks?
"Thank you for coming!"
Or because she went on a multiple hour, threatening, abusive, disrespectful tirade ruining the day of someone who now has to suck it up and put on a front for two people that also jumped into the brawl and piled on.
Two people, I might add who are now the beneficiaries of FD's boss's lack of consideration for and devalueing of his or her employee to the tune of $178.00
IF, and I repeat, IF we were to ever have an employee and hoped to have them stick around very long, our loyalty to and support for that employee is worth much more than a one night stay for a couple of louts. Bad PR fallout or not.
In fact, unless FD's boss isn't in the same state today, that person should be the ONLY person required to have any dealings with these guests from the minute they check in until they check out.
For me, as soon as we were reminded that FD simply works for someone as an employee, this issue stopped being about to upgrade or not, putting on a happy face or positive spin on things, etc.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I prefer to look at the glass half full. It is highly probable that they will be miserable guests. But I would still give it a go and not mention anything in hopes they are that 1% that will let it go as well. Plus, there are bullies that are cowards and will be terrible on a phone but not in front of others, maybe this innkeeper will get lucky!
Mr. Toad you remind me of my father's attitude when I told him that
I saw the glass half full - and my dad always saw it half empty
To that, my darling and wonderful dad would retort: "Not at all. I know the water's polluted."
Hee Hee
RIki

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
BTW, it's after 3 p.m. EST, wonder if they've checked in yet..
"I am fiercely loyal and supportive of my employers...in turn, they are supportive of me and my quest to be an innkeeper one day."
So, just for the sake of this discussion, if this had happened at the B&B you work at, when exactly would your employers have stepped in and taken over the reins on handling this incredibly difficult and tense situation?
I hope so.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I hope so.
Yes, you would be correct. They would have stepped in because it's THEIR business. I am an employee who is support staff only. I am not the owner, nor am I the whipping boy. By Grace, I have bosses who would step in. It remains to be known if FD is as lucky as I am.

penelope said:
RIki
"Thank you for coming!"
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I prefer to look at the glass half full. It is highly probable that they will be miserable guests. But I would still give it a go and not mention anything in hopes they are that 1% that will let it go as well. Plus, there are bullies that are cowards and will be terrible on a phone but not in front of others, maybe this innkeeper will get lucky!
Mr. Toad you remind me of my father's attitude when I told him that
To that, my darling and wonderful dad would retort: "Not at all. I know the water's polluted."
Hee Hee
RIki
"Mr. Toad you remind me of my father's attitude when I told him that
Hee Hee"
I have no idea how to perceive that.
As with the total of what I or most others contribute regularly here, I'd like to think that some days the cup is full, some days less than full, some days half empty, some days nearly empty.
Many days the water is crystal clear and tasty, other days it has some muck in it, that you can ignore if you like, try to filter it out, or not care what it tastes like.
I believe my fire and passion are qualities not curses and I try to filter the water in order to hopefully make sure you and I can share a better full glass another day.
If even one thing of the total being said here resonates with anybody here and especially the folks with staff, I hope it is to not skirt your duties as the business owner and allow your employees to be treated like this or throw them under the bus when put in a difficult position by an extraordinarily rude, hositle guest.
Its been said here that we need to give this type of guest the benefit of the doubt until they arrive. What if a potential guest had theatened your employee during a series of phone exchanges and you forced them to take the reservation anyway and the guest arrived and assaulted or worse, your employee and maybe a house full of innocent guests, would we still give them the benefit of the doubt?
Its a very extreme rhetorical and hypothetical question, but our society has unstable people going off and killing people in their places of worship over some perceived slight.

Back