The Guests from Hell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task.
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
I am sorry, but I would NOT upgrade them. That is a blackmail pay-off. They are not going to like you no matter what you do. Give them the upgrade (and they will KNOW it was an upgrade) and they will now go home and tell everyone how to get a fancy upgrade. "Just complain and threaten and you will get wahtever you want." They are hearing the sound bite reports on the radio and TV about how to get the most for the least.
People who go some place with an I will not have a good time attitude do not have a good time - no matter what!
Just be yourself and smile twice as much as usual.
I disagree. Not all guests are "out to get us". And you don't know that they won't have a good time. But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get.
It seems that the Innkeepers with the most guest problems are the ones that are stiff and unbending. Not speaking of anyone in particular, just a general observation.
This is an opportunity to show what you are really made of as an Innkeeper.
"Not all guests are "out to get us"."
Well, these two and the daughter got off to a flyin' freakin' start in that department.
"And you don't know that they won't have a good time."
With all that has transpired already, the insults, threats, the refusal to abide by policy, etc.. I just don't see anything good coming out of it. Remember this is a cancellation that was to occur 24 hours from arrival to begin with and now looks like under very specious circumstances. What did they visit some magic healer the minute they knew some financial consequences were involved. They lied, were rude, threatening and blackmailing.
Just the kind of long term, repeat clientele I want to both reward and cultivate.
angry_smile.gif
(Tim's symbol for sarcasm.)
"But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get."
Sorry, but they WERE treated as if they'd have a good time from the START. They instigated the tension and acrimony by their actions, NOT the innkeeper who spent hours trying to smooth it over. Look where that approach got them.
I'm not a very "woo woo" or new agey kind of person, but that kind of "energy" has no place in our home, even for one night.
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go, especially when you already have their money and told them you would not refund it. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given a chance to have a nice time.
I don't think I heard anyone say don't be nice. They are saying and I agree- do not reward bad behavior. It is reinforcing them to continue to act bad to get even more. That doesn't mean one need be inflexible either.
We have 99.9% amazing guests, but every so often we find ourselves having to gently steer them away from a bad behavior. "How nice that you will leave us a great review- even though you are choosing to depart early to find sunny weather and giving up your last paid night. Most of our guests don't go there, but it has happened and being firm about the policy and offering them a choice to resolve (if that is possible) gives you the means to respond honestly later. In the end, the integrity you display and the faith you show in your own policies can mitigate a guests complaint if they figure out they are being unreasonable.
Guests are never wrong, but they are occasionally mistaken.
knkbnb said:
Guests are never wrong, but they are occasionally mistaken.
I totally disagree. Sometimes Guests are wrong, overdemanding and just plain A_holes! That's why we have policies: to protect ourselves. All guests do deserve respect and courtesy but there's nothing in the rules about making yourself a door mat.
smiley-angry013.gif

Whoa pardna! The ropin` event is next week!
Forgive me for being overly cryptic. This was totally in the cheek and you may have pulled this out of context. I think I agree with you. I was merely saying that we know guests are wrong but that a certain amount of tact in getting what you want from a guest can leave them unsuspecting that they were wrong.
A door mat! Please -that is kind of inflamatory. If you look through my postings, you will see that I almost always support innkeepers keeping their inn and not their guests. You'll find very little hand wringing about enforcing our policies and very limited areas of compromise on our rates etc.
knkbnb said:
Forgive me for being overly cryptic. This was totally in the cheek and you may have pulled this out of context.
Then please use your smileys to reflect that. We can see neither your tongue nor your cheek.
regular_smile.gif

knkbnb said:
If you look through my postings, you will see that I almost always support innkeepers keeping their inn and not their guests.
No thank you. I have better things to do than to read through all the postings on this forum, separate yours out and then guess when you're being witty or not. It would be easier if you used the smileys.
wink_smile.gif

And if ANYONE, not just an innkeeper, allows someone to walk all over them, then they are a doormat. Nothing inflammatory about that. It's a plain and simple fact.
p.s. "Whoa pardna! The ropin' event is next week"??? Please don't stereotype. Not everyone in Texas rides horses or owns cows etc.
smiley-char124.gif

UPDATE # 3 -
Still lovely people. No weird morphing into madness. I still believe they are transplants. Happy as clams. Now I can't get them to leave.
Check out is at 11 and they are still here.
rolleyes.gif
The Farmers Daughter said:
UPDATE # 3 -
Still lovely people. No weird morphing into madness. I still believe they are transplants. Happy as clams. Now I can't get them to leave.
Check out is at 11 and they are still here.
rolleyes.gif
I am coming to this gargantuan thread late - I think you are amazing for accepting them and not ending up in the hospital. My number 1 rule, you swear AT ME and I will not allow you to step foot in this place. You have created a new VOCAB word for the innspiring dictionary "transplants" not the same as jekyll and hyde guests, but "replacement guests." I think this is something we should ask for "If you can't make it then feel free to send in "transplants."
I had this situation one time - a gc given to a couple. She called and said he smokes in bed and therefore they won't be coming - refund THEM the money. I have on the gc "no cash value-non refundable" and now it has expired. She got all up in my face about it on the phone, SHE being the ...well never mind her profession, race and attitude, but basically she should have been a very nice person. The replacements/transplants they sent were one of my all time favorite guests! He was a firefighter in a nearby city and just lovely people. I had no idea how in the world these couples were friends. I never spoke a word about the other couple.

# 4 - The Story Ends.
They have departed. Not one word about the telephone conversations, or anything that transpired. At first I thought they were transplants, but that was put to rest as they were walking out the door.
The husband said "I'm glad we came. We really DID have a good time."
Shook my hand and slipped me $20.
In retrospect, I think they had never been to a B & B and didn't know what to expect. Therefore they tried to get out of it only to find they couldn't.
Turns out they had a good time and maybe come back.
I'm glad this had a happy ending. The whole episode had me concerned.
Thanks for all your advice and insight. Hugs to all..
The Farmers Daughter said:
# 4 - The Story Ends.
They have departed. Not one word about the telephone conversations, or anything that transpired. At first I thought they were transplants, but that was put to rest as they were walking out the door.
The husband said "I'm glad we came. We really DID have a good time."
Shook my hand and slipped me $20.
In retrospect, I think they had never been to a B & B and didn't know what to expect. Therefore they tried to get out of it only to find they couldn't.
Turns out they had a good time and maybe come back.
I'm glad this had a happy ending. The whole episode had me concerned.
Thanks for all your advice and insight. Hugs to all.
YOU DESERVE A TROPHY! Well done!

Here's a doozey...which a friend emailed me about this morning
"We have a real PITA in the downstairs room this weekend. Took it for 3 nights with our anniversary package and has bombarded me with emails every
since...even sending them while enroute wanting info and than access to a fax machine.
Late this AM for breakfast, hardly spoke. Now she is sending me emails from the bedroom right here in the house...complaining that she wanted a room on 2nd floor and can't sleep because of the noise of people walking upstairs. I have no solution."
You would have thought all of this would have been hashed out before they arrived??? And..to email the innkeeper from her room???? What is up with that??? My poor friend.....he gets lots of these PITA's !!!!! I feel so sorry for him...getting burned out fast...they want to sell...but can't with this economy right now. OH well. I am sure he will placate her with something.

"We have a real PITA in the downstairs room this weekend. Took it for 3 nights with our anniversary package and has bombarded me with emails every
since...even sending them while enroute wanting info and than access to a fax machine.
Late this AM for breakfast, hardly spoke. Now she is sending me emails from the bedroom right here in the house...complaining that she wanted a room on 2nd floor and can't sleep because of the noise of people walking upstairs. I have no solution."
You would have thought all of this would have been hashed out before they arrived??? And..to email the innkeeper from her room???? What is up with that??? My poor friend.....he gets lots of these PITA's !!!!! I feel so sorry for him...getting burned out fast...they want to sell...but can't with this economy right now. OH well. I am sure he will placate her with something..
He should either reply back to the email with a request that she meet him in person in the dining room or go knock on the door and ask her what's up with the emails? I've had guests call me on the phone but only because they said they didn't know where the buzzer was (even tho they were standing right next to it). I think some people have an aversion to ringing bells.

Emails from inhouse? That has to be a first. I would be concerned that she is building a paper trail for further actions down the road.

You would have thought all of this would have been hashed out before they arrived??? And..to email the innkeeper from her room???? What is up with that??? My poor friend.....he gets lots of these PITA's !!!!! I feel so sorry for him...getting burned out fast...they want to sell...but can't with this economy right now. OH well. I am sure he will placate her with something..
He should either reply back to the email with a request that she meet him in person in the dining room or go knock on the door and ask her what's up with the emails? I've had guests call me on the phone but only because they said they didn't know where the buzzer was (even tho they were standing right next to it). I think some people have an aversion to ringing bells.
I have had cell phone communication with in-house guests only tewicw that I can think of - the newlyweds the other night called to ask about the hot water - gotta let it run a while in these old houses to get the hot stuff water through the pipes and upstairs.
The other was a guest/friend and I called her cell phone as a wake-up call and to tell her breakfast was ready. She had an appointment to keep.

I think I recall someone else with an experience like this. For some, it is just THE way they communicate but I think in this case it may very well be not wanting to confront the innkeeper in person so they hide behind email. It is just a good thing this innkeeper is checking his email constantly or it would not be noticed by others for a while.

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task.
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
I am sorry, but I would NOT upgrade them. That is a blackmail pay-off. They are not going to like you no matter what you do. Give them the upgrade (and they will KNOW it was an upgrade) and they will now go home and tell everyone how to get a fancy upgrade. "Just complain and threaten and you will get wahtever you want." They are hearing the sound bite reports on the radio and TV about how to get the most for the least.
People who go some place with an I will not have a good time attitude do not have a good time - no matter what!
Just be yourself and smile twice as much as usual.
I disagree. Not all guests are "out to get us". And you don't know that they won't have a good time. But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get.
It seems that the Innkeepers with the most guest problems are the ones that are stiff and unbending. Not speaking of anyone in particular, just a general observation.
This is an opportunity to show what you are really made of as an Innkeeper.
"Not all guests are "out to get us"."
Well, these two and the daughter got off to a flyin' freakin' start in that department.
"And you don't know that they won't have a good time."
With all that has transpired already, the insults, threats, the refusal to abide by policy, etc.. I just don't see anything good coming out of it. Remember this is a cancellation that was to occur 24 hours from arrival to begin with and now looks like under very specious circumstances. What did they visit some magic healer the minute they knew some financial consequences were involved. They lied, were rude, threatening and blackmailing.
Just the kind of long term, repeat clientele I want to both reward and cultivate.
angry_smile.gif
(Tim's symbol for sarcasm.)
"But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get."
Sorry, but they WERE treated as if they'd have a good time from the START. They instigated the tension and acrimony by their actions, NOT the innkeeper who spent hours trying to smooth it over. Look where that approach got them.
I'm not a very "woo woo" or new agey kind of person, but that kind of "energy" has no place in our home, even for one night.
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go, especially when you already have their money and told them you would not refund it. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given a chance to have a nice time.
I don't think any of the posters meant it that way
This is a great oportunity to make these guests see the good in what their daughter tried to do for them. I can just imagine how that went at the house when the couple was told that they were to have a great time away at a bnb and so on. The old people didn't want their daughter to spend the money and said they'd cancel. I bet the daughter was very upset. Maybe a note to the daughter might be a good idea too?
(Ok, I wonder if I should have waited until I came to the end of the thread to see how it went)

Back