The Guests from Hell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
We've got a doozy!!! (rolls eyes) I will try to give you folks a condensed version of about 1 dozen phone calls from 7 am to 11 am this morning.
A month ago, a woman called to book an anniversary getaway for her parents.
She (as everyone who books) was explained the booking procedures and cancellation policy for her parents for their reservation. Cancellation is 15 days prior to arrival date.
Her mother calls this morning and explains they are not coming. The husband is 'sick'. The cancellation policy was explained to her and she was offered a lodging voucher. That was 'absolutely not acceptable.' They are not coming. PERIOD. We better not charge her daughter a dime!!! Very nasty about it. 5 minutes later, the daughter calls and is upset that we were rude to her mother!!! (Not true) This goes back and forth for over an hour. The daughter then calls again and says she will take the lodging voucher. I explain the parameters around the voucher and that she can use it anytime mid week or weekend and its valid for ____________ months. Now that is "not acceptable!" What kind of place is this blah blah blah blah ad nauseum. Now she doesn't want the voucher! She says to charge her and she will dispute it with her CC company. Then I explain that she will be charged $178.00. She flips out about that because that is not the price of the room on the website. I explain that room rates do not include tax.
More pissing and moaning ensues. She hangs up on me.
10 minutes later, the father calls. Now they are coming (oh look...a sudden miraculous recovery!) and they better have a F*CKING GOOD TIME! We better bend over backwards for them...blah blah blah ... gee I can hardly wait for tomorrow. Personally, I hope they don't show up. I already charged the daughter....so...this should be fun.

All I can say is "Bless you, my child!" and bless their hearts.....
Now that they have already made up their minds that they will NOT have a good experience, you could have a res carpet for them to walk on, serve them the most delectable delicacies, and provide entertainment they would never have an opportunity to experience and they would still go home saying they did not have a nice anniversary. Just do what you normally do, smile, and write it off as one of those nights. You have my sympathy.

She (as everyone who books) was explained the booking procedures and cancellation policy for her parents for their reservation. Cancellation is 15 days prior to arrival date.
Is that spelled out in their written confirmation too? If it is, that would help defend against any chargeback dispute.
Sorry. It sounds like you are in for a doosey. :(

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task.

may the innkeeping force be with you! please let us know how things turn out tomorrow.

little blue ~ please offer suggestions to the farmers daughter of how to turn this around.

Is that spelled out in their written confirmation too? If it is, that would help defend against any chargeback dispute.
Sorry. It sounds like you are in for a doosey. :(.
swirt said:
Yes, it is.

What a story! Well you can already tell the class of these people by their blatant display on the phone - did the father really say that? Discusting.
Even so, I would greet them with kindness as you normally do. If they behave maybe even treat them with a little something extra for their anniversary. (That may just make them feel more of a heel for sounding off at you.)
I hope your weekend goes without any fireworks display under your roof..

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'

What a story! Well you can already tell the class of these people by their blatant display on the phone - did the father really say that? Discusting.
Even so, I would greet them with kindness as you normally do. If they behave maybe even treat them with a little something extra for their anniversary. (That may just make them feel more of a heel for sounding off at you.)
I hope your weekend goes without any fireworks display under your roof...
Sorry, but I'm gonna break company with everybody here.
Call them back immediately, tell them the pipes broke and the house is full of water, refund their money, do whatever it takes but you cannot reward that kind of insolence and rudeness.
I don't care if they show up with their hats in their hands and full of apologies, we deserve more respect than they afforded, period.

Copperhead said:
What a story! Well you can already tell the class of these people by their blatant display on the phone - did the father really say that?
Yes and more. His daughter is the same way. It seems that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The best way to handle someone who has decided they hate you already is to turn on the charm and forget any of the previous conversation ever happened. Greet them as you would complete strangers but make sure your spine is straight, your handshake is firm and you look them right in the eye. If shaking hands is not something you usually do, do it this time. You must make contact with them in an assertive way.
If your regular checkin involves signing any paperwork, make sure that is done as they may be vindictive and you want a signature. Not that you will be able to collect if they do damage as they are already threatening to call the credit card company and do a chargeback. But, you must be prepared that they will still do this. So get your signatures showing they agree to your policies and to prove they were there.
Be firm and always take the high road. No matter what sort of behavior they exhibit, take the high road even if you are tossing them and their bags into the yard!

All I can say is that sugah will melt in your mouth when you greet these folks...bless their hearts!
Best of luck!

Call them back immediately, tell them the pipes broke and the house is full of water, refund their money, do whatever it takes but you cannot reward that kind of insolence and rudeness.
I don't care if they show up with their hats in their hands and full of apologies, we deserve more respect than they afforded, period.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I appreciate your opinion on this. I am inclined to agree with you. I posted my opinion to senior management and found SM was disinclined to agree with me. In other words, I will be riding this storm out.

The best way to handle someone who has decided they hate you already is to turn on the charm and forget any of the previous conversation ever happened. Greet them as you would complete strangers but make sure your spine is straight, your handshake is firm and you look them right in the eye. If shaking hands is not something you usually do, do it this time. You must make contact with them in an assertive way.
If your regular checkin involves signing any paperwork, make sure that is done as they may be vindictive and you want a signature. Not that you will be able to collect if they do damage as they are already threatening to call the credit card company and do a chargeback. But, you must be prepared that they will still do this. So get your signatures showing they agree to your policies and to prove they were there.
Be firm and always take the high road. No matter what sort of behavior they exhibit, take the high road even if you are tossing them and their bags into the yard!.
MooseTrax said:
Be firm and always take the high road. No matter what sort of behavior they exhibit, take the high road even if you are tossing them and their bags into the yard!
See, I was thinking to avoid the signatures. That way I can claim them as a no show if it came to that....what is your opinion on that?

I wouldn't upgrade them myself. They are unhappy about coming there for whatever reason, and rude to you on the phone!

Be firm and always take the high road. No matter what sort of behavior they exhibit, take the high road even if you are tossing them and their bags into the yard!.
MooseTrax said:
See, I was thinking to avoid the signatures. That way I can claim them as a no show if it came to that....what is your opinion on that?
The Farmers Daughter said:
MooseTrax said:
Claim them as a no show even if they did show?

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
The Farmers Daughter said:
Sorry I would not do that. You are rewarding bad behavior so now they will repeat this on their next B&B.
I would however, try and kill them with kindness.
RIki

Two things: Kill 'em with kindness
and
You can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
I do whatever I have to do during the day so that I can lie down at night and did the right thing. I can look at myself in the mirror and know that I didn't stoop to their level. I take the high road and if people don't follow me to the high road or choose to take the low road, it wasn't ME. Let them suck on the lemons. You be your wonderful self and in the end, you'll probably feel better about it and yourself.
This, too, shall pass

Back