The Guests from Hell

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Moosetrax and Samster and Cooperhead. Before they arrive, remember that they are coming for their anniversary, and focus on the positive and not the negative circumstances...you get what you expect to get...if you're uptight and stand with fists clenched at the door, you're gonna get a fistfight.
Greet them personally and warmly at the door, and by all means acknowledge the circumstances. You cannot pretend that it never happened. Explain to them about the upgrade, if that's what you choose to do, and make sure they know that you appreciate the fact that their daughter chose your place for their special occasion and that you are making an attempt to smooth things over and to ensure that they have the best possible time for their anniversary. The extras are a very nice touch, and for the cost, well worth it. If you have some flowers you can pluck out of the garden and put in a little vase, all the better.
MANY MANY positive experiences have come out of negative beginnings. Kill them with kindness and give them an anniversary they'll never forget. Regardless of how the whole thing turns out, you'll know that you did all you could to make their stay spectacular. If they can unclench enough to enjoy it, all the better! If they don't, it won't be because you didn't do everything possible. After all, you have the money, you have to hold up your end of the bargain, right?
You never know...do it right and they (and/or their daughter) may turn out to be great repeat guests.

Two things: Kill 'em with kindness
and
You can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
I do whatever I have to do during the day so that I can lie down at night and did the right thing. I can look at myself in the mirror and know that I didn't stoop to their level. I take the high road and if people don't follow me to the high road or choose to take the low road, it wasn't ME. Let them suck on the lemons. You be your wonderful self and in the end, you'll probably feel better about it and yourself.
This, too, shall pass.
well said penelope...I was typing just about the same thing below, but didn't read yours until I posted.

and
I do whatever I have to do during the day so that I can lie down at night and did the right thing. I can look at myself in the mirror and know that I didn't stoop to their level. I take the high road and if people don't follow me to the high road or choose to take the low road, it wasn't ME. Let them suck on the lemons. You be your wonderful self and in the end, you'll probably feel better about it and yourself.
This, too, shall pass.
well said penelope...I was typing just about the same thing below, but didn't read yours until I posted.
Little Blue said:
Great minds and all that! ;)

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task.
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
I am sorry, but I would NOT upgrade them. That is a blackmail pay-off. They are not going to like you no matter what you do. Give them the upgrade (and they will KNOW it was an upgrade) and they will now go home and tell everyone how to get a fancy upgrade. "Just complain and threaten and you will get wahtever you want." They are hearing the sound bite reports on the radio and TV about how to get the most for the least.
People who go some place with an I will not have a good time attitude do not have a good time - no matter what!
Just be yourself and smile twice as much as usual.

I wouldn't upgrade them myself. They are unhappy about coming there for whatever reason, and rude to you on the phone!.
Yes, but we are in the hospitality business...and a truly professional Innkeeper can handle rude guests without responding in kind.
Wikipedia's definition of "hospitality" (emphasis mine):
Hospitality refers to the relationship process between a guest and a host, and it also refers to the act or practice of being hospitable, that is, the reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers, with liberality and goodwill. Hospitality is also known as the act of generously providing care and kindness to whoever is in need.

I think any situation could be made into a positive...if you're up to the task..
Little Blue said:
I have already decided to upgrade them from the room that the daughter chose to a luxury suite with a jacuzzi. With this they will get a complimentary bottle of wine and a 3 course gourmet breakfast by candlelight served on fine china and crystal in our formal dining room the next morning. That is quite a deal for a $155 room (less taxes). I hope this doesn't turn around to bite me in the butt. I think they have already decided to have a lousy time, because they are 'forced to be here against their will.'
The Farmers Daughter said:
Little Blue said:
This is not the road I would take. You have taken enough abuse from them, do not reward that abuse. Give them what they paid for but do not let them think the way to get more is to be belligerent. Like that Tim_Toad fellow says all the time, you're training them to treat the rest of us poorly.

Little Blue said:
I am sorry, but I would NOT upgrade them. That is a blackmail pay-off. They are not going to like you no matter what you do. Give them the upgrade (and they will KNOW it was an upgrade) and they will now go home and tell everyone how to get a fancy upgrade. "Just complain and threaten and you will get wahtever you want." They are hearing the sound bite reports on the radio and TV about how to get the most for the least.
People who go some place with an I will not have a good time attitude do not have a good time - no matter what!
I disagree. Not all guests are "out to get us". And you don't know that they won't have a good time. But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get.
It seems that the Innkeepers with the most guest problems are the ones that are stiff and unbending. Not speaking of anyone in particular, just a general observation.
This is an opportunity to show what you are really made of as an Innkeeper.

I agree that you have to kill them with kindness! I'm not sure I would do the upgrade, but that's totally your call. I probably would give them the secluded breakfast just in case they still have an attitude the next morning and you don't want it to ruin breakfast for your other guests.
Good luck, and we'll all be dying to know how it goes!!!

and
This, too, shall pass.
I am a firm believer in kill them with kindness - but not with giving away the store to reward people who are jerks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that the conversations of today should be remembered to "fuel the fire" tomorrow, but I do not believe one thing that would not have been done for ANY anniversary couple should be done. Anything more will be met with a self-satisfied smirk that "They made you kiss their butt" because of what they said.
Smile, be pleasant, and treat them as any guest would be who chose to stay with you.

Little Blue said:
I would kill them with kindness, but I would re-think the upgrade. That is definitely rewarding bad behavior, imvvho. If you give a complimentary bottle of wine for an anniversary as a standard, that is a different story. Please don't let these belligerant, nasty people get a better deal for treating you poorly. I think that it might set up an expectation for the future that they can act like jerks to get more than what they (or whomever) paid for.
Show them a great experience for their anniversary just like you would anyone else and be done with it. Just my 2 cents.... :)

I agree that you have to kill them with kindness! I'm not sure I would do the upgrade, but that's totally your call. I probably would give them the secluded breakfast just in case they still have an attitude the next morning and you don't want it to ruin breakfast for your other guests.
Good luck, and we'll all be dying to know how it goes!!!.
NW BB said:
Good luck, and we'll all be dying to know how it goes!!!
Hey that is a super idea. Tell them they will have the "anniversary breakfast" in bed, on the deck whatever. I'd rather work getting coffe stains out of the sheets than have them poison the others' breakfast.
RIki

Little Blue said:
I disagree. Not all guests are "out to get us". And you don't know that they won't have a good time. But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get.
It seems that the Innkeepers with the most guest problems are the ones that are stiff and unbending. Not speaking of anyone in particular, just a general observation.
I was not implying in any way that HER attitude would be they are out to get her. I know that people who say when they leave the house - I am not going to have a good time tonihgt - will NOT have a good time. They will fulfill their prophesy.
SMile, smile, smile is the answer. I also like Sam's suggestion about the special secluded breakfast. That will truly isolate complaining problems for other guests in the morning.

Playing the Devil's Advocate here -
devil_smile.gif

Given the details you have provided, I would most definitely have them sign in and agree to all policies. This may make them think twice about causing any trouble while there or by the daughter by trying to initiate a chargeback. The problem you have (and any of us have under this type of purchase) is the fact that there is no signature of the CARD HOLDER at any time... They can just deny the whole charge saying she did not make the purchase nor did she give her parents permission to use the card. - Your word against hers unless there is a solid paper trail. Emails are a source but we all know how our email addresses can be forged so it is not full proof with the CC company. Phone records are most likely your best form of proof so keep tabs of the numbers they called from through your caller ID, and if she trys a chargeback, dig up your records from the time of the original purchase through these last calls she made to you. This is your best evidence, then along with their signature you have a good paper trail.
It aggravates me deeply because it makes me have to think on their level in order to deal with the issue.
angry_smile.gif

Little Blue said:
"Not all guests are "out to get us"."
Well, these two and the daughter got off to a flyin' freakin' start in that department.
"And you don't know that they won't have a good time."
With all that has transpired already, the insults, threats, the refusal to abide by policy, etc.. I just don't see anything good coming out of it. Remember this is a cancellation that was to occur 24 hours from arrival to begin with and now looks like under very specious circumstances. What did they visit some magic healer the minute they knew some financial consequences were involved. They lied, were rude, threatening and blackmailing.
Just the kind of long term, repeat clientele I want to both reward and cultivate.
angry_smile.gif
(Tim's symbol for sarcasm.)
"But, if you treat them from the start like they are out to get you and are not going to have a good time, you'll deserve what you get."
Sorry, but they WERE treated as if they'd have a good time from the START. They instigated the tension and acrimony by their actions, NOT the innkeeper who spent hours trying to smooth it over. Look where that approach got them.
I'm not a very "woo woo" or new agey kind of person, but that kind of "energy" has no place in our home, even for one night.

I'm totally relaxed and having a wonderful day. Just chit chattin' with ya' all.
My opinions and internal policies on showing flexibility, patience and empathy with our guests can stand up to anyone's scrutiny, but we have our limits here.
Rewarding this kind of egregious rudeness and hostility does not fall under my definition of hospitaility. Its a give and take thing and a guest like this has to give a little in order to receive some back.
They didn't give it and frankly, one night's revenue under these circumstances isn't worth it and if it was us, wouldn't have been worth it after even the first hour of phone calls back and forth on the diplomacy front.
Way too many red flags to try and work around.

What a story! Well you can already tell the class of these people by their blatant display on the phone - did the father really say that? Discusting.
Even so, I would greet them with kindness as you normally do. If they behave maybe even treat them with a little something extra for their anniversary. (That may just make them feel more of a heel for sounding off at you.)
I hope your weekend goes without any fireworks display under your roof...
Sorry, but I'm gonna break company with everybody here.
Call them back immediately, tell them the pipes broke and the house is full of water, refund their money, do whatever it takes but you cannot reward that kind of insolence and rudeness.
I don't care if they show up with their hats in their hands and full of apologies, we deserve more respect than they afforded, period.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Call them back immediately, tell them the pipes broke and the house is full of water, refund their money, do whatever it takes but you cannot reward that kind of insolence and rudeness.
I don't care if they show up with their hats in their hands and full of apologies, we deserve more respect than they afforded, period.
I appreciate your opinion on this. I am inclined to agree with you. I posted my opinion to senior management and found SM was disinclined to agree with me. In other words, I will be riding this storm out.
You just brought up a very important issue for those of us working with our spouses at this. Do your utmost to not let this become an issue between you two. If it does, then this kind of guest gets off scot-free for acting the way they did and all that energy drain is on you both. That type of person thrives on that. Its like they can't breath because the air around them is so polluted and you just handed them the oxygen tank.
My much better half has had decades more direct customer service experience than I have. In her current outside the BB job, she routinely deals with extraordinarily demanding, rude and inconsiderate people, so is light years more adept at the tightrope walking than I am.
One of our problems is that I'm the one here most of the time and the employment picture for both of our skillsets in our area is much more fruitful and higher paying for her than me so its been tough to try and switch places.
When she ends her day and is finally home for the evening exhausted, dealing with some late check in, guest behavior issue, etc. is my arena and like I said 99% of the time is handled very well.
Anyone who was to go read any of our guest comment books, online reviews, etc. would see that we make a really complimentary team and we each receive equal praise from our guests, so something is working.
I try to mimic her approach at times, but it can come off clumsy or phony because as most here would agree I'm a pretty direct and blunt personality type, so I'm trying to learn from her and practice as much patience with people as possible.
99% of the time it works fine even in my own style, but that darn 1% of the troublesome people like you've encountered today make it really tough.

Little Blue said:
Jeez Tim, take a breath and unclench, willya?
shades_smile.gif
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go.......especially when you are being paid to do so. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given the chance to have a nice time.
You certainly have a wealth of generosity. Given these guests practically jumped thru the phone and throttled the innkeeper, all THREE of them mind you, I'd say they have already shown they are rude and belligerent. There's no benefit of the doubt to be given here. That went out with the lies (about the sickness, altho maybe we could just chalk that up to a 'polite mistruth'); the threats (you've already said you don't get guests like this so you really don't know what it's like to be screamed at and sworn at on the phone by an irate guest) and then the swearing and implied threats from the father.
You could be the world's best innkeeper but it doesn't sound like you've really had any trials by fire.
Tim has had those guests, I've had those guests, some of the sweetest people on here have had those guests. We're offering an opinion to Farmer's Daughter from a wealth of experience. And I don't think anyone implied they should be treated less than any other guest.

Little Blue said:
Jeez Tim, take a breath and unclench, willya?
shades_smile.gif
Are you saying that being nice in this situation is the wrong way to go? I don't think being nice is ever the wrong way to go.......especially when you are being paid to do so. Some of you may think differently, but excuse me for giving people the benefit of the doubt until they actually arrive and are given the chance to have a nice time.
Oooh I am waiting for when you get your first one that comes in ready for a fight....and trashes your room...and then pulls a chargeback.....
Riki

That really isn't fair or called for.
I've made my mistakes here and have had to sleep in my bed over them, but we're just talkin' and spending some time here banging ideas off the walls with each other on how to deal with stuff that comes up.

What a story! Well you can already tell the class of these people by their blatant display on the phone - did the father really say that? Discusting.
Even so, I would greet them with kindness as you normally do. If they behave maybe even treat them with a little something extra for their anniversary. (That may just make them feel more of a heel for sounding off at you.)
I hope your weekend goes without any fireworks display under your roof...
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I appreciate your opinion on this. I am inclined to agree with you. I posted my opinion to senior management and found SM was disinclined to agree with me. In other words, I will be riding this storm out.
You just brought up a very important issue for those of us working with our spouses at this. Do your utmost to not let this become an issue between you two. If it does, then this kind of guest gets off scot-free for acting the way they did and all that energy drain is on you both. That type of person thrives on that. Its like they can't breath because the air around them is so polluted and you just handed them the oxygen tank.
My much better half has had decades more direct customer service experience than I have. In her current outside the BB job, she routinely deals with extraordinarily demanding, rude and inconsiderate people, so is light years more adept at the tightrope walking than I am.
One of our problems is that I'm the one here most of the time and the employment picture for both of our skillsets in our area is much more fruitful and higher paying for her than me so its been tough to try and switch places.
When she ends her day and is finally home for the evening exhausted, dealing with some late check in, guest behavior issue, etc. is my arena and like I said 99% of the time is handled very well.
Anyone who was to go read any of our guest comment books, online reviews, etc. would see that we make a really complimentary team and we each receive equal praise from our guests, so something is working.
I try to mimic her approach at times, but it can come off clumsy or phony because as most here would agree I'm a pretty direct and blunt personality type, so I'm trying to learn from her and practice as much patience with people as possible.
99% of the time it works fine even in my own style, but that darn 1% of the troublesome people like you've encountered today make it really tough.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
You just brought up a very important issue for those of us working with our spouses at this. Do your utmost to not let this become an issue between you two. If it does, then this kind of guest gets off scot-free for acting the way they did and all that energy drain is on you both.
This is why hubs and I get on like a house afire. I'm the blunt one and he's the nice one. We make a great 'good cop, bad cop' team and it's a manifestation I've seen over and over with all of our innkeeping friends.
You have to be yourself because it's the only person you can be. (BTW, I meant that nicely.
teeth_smile.gif
)

Back