The half cookie

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I really do wish guests would not act like they're home in re food. Every morning I come out to find a half cookie or a half piece of coffee cake sitting on the plate with the FULL pieces of cake or cookies that are left from the day before. NO ONE WANTS YOUR HALF A COOKIE OR CAKE! Take it with you and throw it away later!
Today I found the bottom half of several slices of coffee cake. Yes, they took the crumble part on the top and left the bottom cake part. No one is going to eat this and a lot of people are going to wonder if someone handled all of the pieces while picking the parts they wanted.
(PS - only one kid in the house and he ate his cake off a plate with a fork. He didn't leave half a piece of cake or cookie any of the days he was here!)

I wonder if your guest high-tailed it down here....we had the 1/2 cookie event this morning too! And they left all their leftovers in the refrig. I mean really, why bother with taking leftovers when you are on vacation and will be checking out in the morning?

Another dilemma - we have a freezer we let guests use for those ice blocks they put into coolers. (Keeps guests from emptying the ice into their cooler, too.)
This morning a guest grabbed all the freezer blocks and put them in her cooler. DH mentioned it to me and I said I thought she only had 2.
So, we have spares that have been forgotten. We threw them in the freezer in case Guest A took someone else's as well. Well, Guest B shows up and takes the 2 we put in there! Now I know they didn't have 2 because there were only 3 of them in there to start with!
I go to clean out the fridge and now we have 2 completely different freezer blocks in there! Maybe someone traded...

It's the sodas with two sips taken and left all over the house that send me into orbit.

We get the "clean plate clubbers" who must take a doggie bag because they cannot waste food - and then forget to take it with them when they leave. Do they thik WE will actually EAT it??? So it took up precious space in my fridge so I could throw it out after they leave. I don/t do cookies or coffee cake - now I have another reason not to.

Unfortunately for me, my take on the situation is - Oh good, I get to eat half a cookie. I draw the line at bottoms of coffee cake though
wink_smile.gif

I keep seeing this like an innkeeper riddle, or philosophical question:
Do you find the cookie a half or a whole?
Your answer could be very telling!

I keep seeing this like an innkeeper riddle, or philosophical question:
Do you find the cookie a half or a whole?
Your answer could be very telling!.
When they've eaten the side with the chocolate frosting (the cookie) or only the crumble top on the cake, then what's left is half.

Another dilemma - we have a freezer we let guests use for those ice blocks they put into coolers. (Keeps guests from emptying the ice into their cooler, too.)
This morning a guest grabbed all the freezer blocks and put them in her cooler. DH mentioned it to me and I said I thought she only had 2.
So, we have spares that have been forgotten. We threw them in the freezer in case Guest A took someone else's as well. Well, Guest B shows up and takes the 2 we put in there! Now I know they didn't have 2 because there were only 3 of them in there to start with!
I go to clean out the fridge and now we have 2 completely different freezer blocks in there! Maybe someone traded....
Did you write on yours in permanent ink? Maybe something you should do. And buy a few extras at the dollar store? Or just put 1c rubbing alcohol and 2c of water into a ziplock, seal and freeze. At least if they take them, it's nothing you have to worry about, financially.

Unfortunately for me, my take on the situation is - Oh good, I get to eat half a cookie. I draw the line at bottoms of coffee cake though
wink_smile.gif
Innkeep said:
wink_smile.gif
Hhahahahahahhaa

I've had people bring back left overs and hand them to me thinking I will eat it. This has happened more than once. I know I don't look deprived of a meal.
cry_smile.gif

I've had people bring back left overs and hand them to me thinking I will eat it. This has happened more than once. I know I don't look deprived of a meal.
cry_smile.gif
That one gets me. I am going to just throw it out but what am I supposed to say, 'Thanks!' or, 'Oh, I couldn't, please just throw it away if you don't want it.'
'Thanks' has the ewww factor going pretty strong. 'Just throw it away' is like slapping the person when they were trying to be nice. (And, yeah, I don't look like I'm missing any meals, either!)
I had the same thing in Bermuda. Do I leave the food in the fridge, is that condescending; do I throw it out, is that wasteful? Everything was so expensive there it seemed a tragedy to throw it out but why would the housekeepers want my leftover milk, bread and juice?

cry_smile.gif
That one gets me. I am going to just throw it out but what am I supposed to say, 'Thanks!' or, 'Oh, I couldn't, please just throw it away if you don't want it.'
'Thanks' has the ewww factor going pretty strong. 'Just throw it away' is like slapping the person when they were trying to be nice. (And, yeah, I don't look like I'm missing any meals, either!)
I had the same thing in Bermuda. Do I leave the food in the fridge, is that condescending; do I throw it out, is that wasteful? Everything was so expensive there it seemed a tragedy to throw it out but why would the housekeepers want my leftover milk, bread and juice?
How about something like... "Can you please throw that away, the health department won't let me take back anything that has been touched."

cry_smile.gif
How about something like... "Can you please throw that away, the health department won't let me take back anything that has been touched."
Eric Arthur Blair said:
They are trying to give me their leftovers from dinner, not breakfast. If it's breakfast I have no problem just tossing it. It's when they're standing there telling me how wonderful the dinner was but they just couldn't finish it, blah blah... It's personal at that point.

cry_smile.gif
Eric Arthur Blair said:
They are trying to give me their leftovers from dinner, not breakfast. If it's breakfast I have no problem just tossing it. It's when they're standing there telling me how wonderful the dinner was but they just couldn't finish it, blah blah... It's personal at that point.
Try "Thank you, unfortunately the health department doesn't allow us to touch outside food."

Back