The Hired Help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to remember you saying that you don't always personally greet guests at check-in, or introduce yourself as the owner...do you think that's why?.
So, it's ok to be rude to me because they don't realize I'm the owner? Or treat other guests like they are their personal doormen?
However, point taken. I should not only greet them in the morning, ask how they are doing, etc I should make it very clear that I am not the serving wench.
Bree....
I hope you know that I didn't mean to offend you...just seems that some people are more likely to treat what they see as "the help" differently than they would the owner...not saying that makes it right...just saying it might be the case here. And some "hotel people" and some of the "I've stayed in B&B's all over the world people" both tend to be a little bit of a pita. While these two sound like the passive agressive type, at least they're not being really horrible....and least the PA types are easier to ignore, because you can pretend that you don't even notice.
If they don't know who the owner is, they're likely to think "absentee owner" and assume disinterested ownership. And many guests choose a B&B expecting close contact with the Innkeepers. I've stayed at places with no innkeeper contact, and I'm always a little disappointed.
And, if they DO somehow see you around the Inn and find out that you are the owner, but you have never introduced yourself as such, or inquired about their stay, that might send mixed signals.
Again, just my personal observations, based on what I were to think as a guest.
No, no offense taken. I realize that some people may just not realize that I'm the owner/innkeeper and I should be more aggressive in letting them know that. I have taken to letting guests know who I am when I check them in. It's the ones I don't check in, like you said, who don't know who I am.
Then again, a lot of guests don't really care who I am as long as they're being fed and housed with some semblance of nicety. We've had guests here for a week who were introduced to us, our names are in the room books, we have our biz cards right on the desk, etc and they still say, 'So, what did you say your name was?' after a week's stay! Just not important to them.
Bree said:
No, no offense taken. I realize that some people may just not realize that I'm the owner/innkeeper and I should be more aggressive in letting them know that. I have taken to letting guests know who I am when I check them in. It's the ones I don't check in, like you said, who don't know who I am.
Then again, a lot of guests don't really care who I am as long as they're being fed and housed with some semblance of nicety. We've had guests here for a week who were introduced to us, our names are in the room books, we have our biz cards right on the desk, etc and they still say, 'So, what did you say your name was?' after a week's stay! Just not important to them.
I'll bet if you answered the door in a dominatrix outfit and riding crop, they wouldn't pull that crap!
evil2.gif

Thanks PT, I just snorted coffee out my nose! Yup, they would have no doubt who's in charge from the git-go, wouldn't they??!!
I notice that some Inns, including some on this forum with featured ads and links, have websites that don't mention the Innkeepers, and one has photos of the innkeepers, and a background blurb, but doesn't give their names. If I'm B&B shopping for a trip, or even checking out other Inns for whatever reason, the first thing I do is look for the Innkeepers on the website. If I don't see 'em, I'm likely to move on to the next place after the most cursory glance at rooms and/or rates, as I will assume absentee or corporate ownership.
AGAIN, I'm not looking to offend anyone, don't need any tirades from the usual suspects. I'm genuinely curious and directing this question to the forum in general.....but I'm wondering, If you don't mention yourselves on your Inn's website, why not? Oversight or intentional?

I despise the people who show up acting like what you've described above. What happens a lot is that they will settle into their room, read the guest binder which tells a little about myself & DH, then the next time I see them, they are all buddy, buddy! It seems that after they have read about us, we have "come up to their level". NO THANKS! Like Egoodel said, everyone should be treated with the same respect. When I get those types of people, I stay as far away from them as I can..
So, then you rebuff their friendly overtures??
Little Blue said:
So, then you rebuff their friendly overtures??
I wouldn't say I rebuff exactly, but I'm certainly not as open and genuinely gracious. With these types, I put on my gracious academy award winning persona and then make myself scarce. They don't know the difference, but I do.
I've dealt with these types my entire life in my previous career. Superficial, shallow and spoiled. It's an instant turn off for me and fortunately, we don't get them very often.

I seem to remember you saying that you don't always personally greet guests at check-in, or introduce yourself as the owner...do you think that's why?.
So, it's ok to be rude to me because they don't realize I'm the owner? Or treat other guests like they are their personal doormen?
However, point taken. I should not only greet them in the morning, ask how they are doing, etc I should make it very clear that I am not the serving wench.
Bree....
I hope you know that I didn't mean to offend you...just seems that some people are more likely to treat what they see as "the help" differently than they would the owner...not saying that makes it right...just saying it might be the case here. And some "hotel people" and some of the "I've stayed in B&B's all over the world people" both tend to be a little bit of a pita. While these two sound like the passive agressive type, at least they're not being really horrible....and least the PA types are easier to ignore, because you can pretend that you don't even notice.
If they don't know who the owner is, they're likely to think "absentee owner" and assume disinterested ownership. And many guests choose a B&B expecting close contact with the Innkeepers. I've stayed at places with no innkeeper contact, and I'm always a little disappointed.
And, if they DO somehow see you around the Inn and find out that you are the owner, but you have never introduced yourself as such, or inquired about their stay, that might send mixed signals.
Bree said:
I'll bet if you answered the door in a dominatrix outfit and riding crop, they wouldn't pull that crap!
evil2.gif

Please. I reserve that stuff for AFTER check-in hours!
Plus, I snapped the heel off the boots last week and they're still in the shop.

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

Thanks PT, I just snorted coffee out my nose! Yup, they would have no doubt who's in charge from the git-go, wouldn't they??!!
I notice that some Inns, including some on this forum with featured ads and links, have websites that don't mention the Innkeepers, and one has photos of the innkeepers, and a background blurb, but doesn't give their names. If I'm B&B shopping for a trip, or even checking out other Inns for whatever reason, the first thing I do is look for the Innkeepers on the website. If I don't see 'em, I'm likely to move on to the next place after the most cursory glance at rooms and/or rates, as I will assume absentee or corporate ownership.
AGAIN, I'm not looking to offend anyone, don't need any tirades from the usual suspects. I'm genuinely curious and directing this question to the forum in general.....but I'm wondering, If you don't mention yourselves on your Inn's website, why not? Oversight or intentional?
I am like you. I want to see at least a photo of the innkeepers and maybe a brief bio..that is enough. I think it shows you care enough about your inn and your guests. LIke you...if I see nothing...I will usually move on.

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

Well, usual suspect reporting in here...no info on website about owners because I got too many calls from scammers and spammers asking to speak with me by name. After a back and forth with someone else on here who said she wouldn't book at a place that didn't at least show a photo of the owners, I added a photo. The number of hits on that page? Miniscule. So it's not a big deal for a lot of guests. I have yet to have a guest show up and say, 'You don't look a thing like your photo!' (I don't.)
However, if you want chapter and verse about who we are and what we're like, the blog is out there for all to read. Most scammers won't take that much time.
I should just give up, tho, because I've found a lot of scams/spams arise from directory listings where it is zip-zip, name, email address, phone number, everything right there.
Plus, I've rarely stayed at a place that had innkeeper photos and even some of those that did the owners were not present except for a brief walk-thru at a scheduled time. It just never struck me as important.

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

Our lack of innkeeper info on our website is intentional. We have the private, romantic niche with breakfast delivery. Our guests are attracted to us because of the amenities in the rooms and the privacy. Typically, they are not here to do much socializing with the innkeepers. But I must say, that after they stay with us, they almost always mention us in both the in room journals and on their online reviews. It's just not what attracts them here their first time.
Again, we're a specialized B&B experience and we don't usually get your traditional B&B guest.

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

Well, usual suspect reporting in here...no info on website about owners because I got too many calls from scammers and spammers asking to speak with me by name. After a back and forth with someone else on here who said she wouldn't book at a place that didn't at least show a photo of the owners, I added a photo. The number of hits on that page? Miniscule. So it's not a big deal for a lot of guests. I have yet to have a guest show up and say, 'You don't look a thing like your photo!' (I don't.)
However, if you want chapter and verse about who we are and what we're like, the blog is out there for all to read. Most scammers won't take that much time.
I should just give up, tho, because I've found a lot of scams/spams arise from directory listings where it is zip-zip, name, email address, phone number, everything right there.
Plus, I've rarely stayed at a place that had innkeeper photos and even some of those that did the owners were not present except for a brief walk-thru at a scheduled time. It just never struck me as important.
I have yet to have a guest show up and say, 'You don't look a thing like your photo!' (I don't.)
That's not true, I said that..but that was before you put your photo up and I assumed you were the cute elderly couple in the photo sitting on your porch. ;)

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

I am like you. I want to see at least a photo of the innkeepers and maybe a brief bio..that is enough. I think it shows you care enough about your inn and your guests. LIke you...if I see nothing...I will usually move on.
Bree....you're not one of the usual suspects!! :)
When I travel and stay in a B&B, I want to know in advance who's home I'm staying at. Since guests are going to be staying in my home, I want them to know a little bit about me too.
To me, the Innkeeper is what gives an Inn it's personality. If I don't see anything about keepers on a website, the Inn has no more personality than a hotel in my mind, and because it doesn't feel like a B&B, I pass it by.
Conversely, too much blah blah blah, preaching or horn-tooting on the Innkeepers page will also scare me away.

LB Wrote: notice that some Inns, including some on this forum with featured ads and links, have websites that don't mention the Innkeepers, and one has photos of the innkeepers, and a background blurb, but doesn't give their names.
I AGREE THERE! I feel that guests might think they will encounter hired innkeepers if there is not personal stitch about the owners on the website. I have not read the other posts in this thread and feel myself jumping a leg up on the soapbox...I better be careful.

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

Bree said:
hold me back...
wink_smile.gif

I feel so strongly abou t this that I WILL go to BedandBreakfast.com to see the owner's names on the listing - if their website does not have any info about you. Is it a single innkeeper, a gay couple, a pair of old fogeys, a couple with young kids...Sorry but it DOES matter to me. I am going to be in your home. Guests OFTEN talk to me about personal stuff I have posted on the website, in fact even just today...
The other thing is the blog. If you have a blog you are sharing more of yourself, I feel 100% more confident in all areas reading a couple blog articles. Honestly, those who blog rock! I mean I read some of the stuff and immediately really like you. Seriousely.

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

When I travel and stay in a B&B, I want to know in advance who's home I'm staying at. Since guests are going to be staying in my home, I want them to know a little bit about me too.
To me, the Innkeeper is what gives an Inn it's personality. If I don't see anything about keepers on a website, the Inn has no more personality than a hotel in my mind, and because it doesn't feel like a B&B, I pass it by.
Conversely, too much blah blah blah, preaching or horn-tooting on the Innkeepers page will also scare me away.
Little Blue said:
YES! Lengthy diatribes send people running. If you dedicated 30 years to a certain service then guests like to know that without listing the letters after your name.

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

Our lack of innkeeper info on our website is intentional. We have the private, romantic niche with breakfast delivery. Our guests are attracted to us because of the amenities in the rooms and the privacy. Typically, they are not here to do much socializing with the innkeepers. But I must say, that after they stay with us, they almost always mention us in both the in room journals and on their online reviews. It's just not what attracts them here their first time.
Again, we're a specialized B&B experience and we don't usually get your traditional B&B guest.
Breakfast Diva said:
No one is saying our photo attracts guests...ugh
But you expressed it well, if you don't have any personal info that means hands off innkeepers, lack of interaction. In your case privacy and seclusion for their romantic escapade. It is not easy sharing a part of yourself with strangers, but this is the business we are in. Otherwise we ARE maids and butlers. The guests are the best part of this business. The money certainly is not.
wink_smile.gif

Superficial, shallow and spoiled...
Definitely a horrible combination!
We've had some lately that dh calls "high maintenance." We've been trying to figure out why they rub him the wrong way and why he gets annoyed at every little request they make. We still haven't completely figured it out... something about gimme gimme gimme mixed with dumb as a brick and a little presumption, perhaps.
=)
Kk.

We don't have our names or photos on the website. Back when we had time, I generally would not click on that information on a B&B site. I wanted to see pix of the rooms, see the price, and where the inn was located in relation to whatever attraction we were going to the area to see.
Some of the owner descriptions seem a bit on the cutsy side, a little too much information about 'buildin the dream' and so forth.....do people really want this kind of information?
Weigh in please. If the majority think its a friendly, welcoming addition to a site, our photos will be on in a flash....well....maybe after dropping 20 pounds or so.
wink_smile.gif

KathleenM

We don't have our names or photos on the website. Back when we had time, I generally would not click on that information on a B&B site. I wanted to see pix of the rooms, see the price, and where the inn was located in relation to whatever attraction we were going to the area to see.
Some of the owner descriptions seem a bit on the cutsy side, a little too much information about 'buildin the dream' and so forth.....do people really want this kind of information?
Weigh in please. If the majority think its a friendly, welcoming addition to a site, our photos will be on in a flash....well....maybe after dropping 20 pounds or so.
wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
"little too much information about 'buildin the dream' and so forth"
That's tells me that they are excited about Innkeeping, and are living their dream (or were at least when they wrote that page). I would consider those innkeepers to probably be more fun to be around than someone who doesn't even appear on their own website....and who are probably nothing like I'm forced to imagine they are. Again, I'm going to stay at their house, and give them my money....I want to know.

wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
maybe after dropping 20 pounds or so..photoshop, baby!

Bree....
Bree said:
evil2.gif

I have yet to have a guest show up and say, 'You don't look a thing like your photo!' (I don't.)
That's not true, I said that..but that was before you put your photo up and I assumed you were the cute elderly couple in the photo sitting on your porch. ;)
swirt said:
Ha, ha, ha! The problem is I DO look like that elderly couple, they're my parents! So , you have a good idea what I'll look like 20 years hence!

wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
That's tells me that they are excited about Innkeeping, and are living their dream (or were at least when they wrote that page). I would consider those innkeepers to probably be more fun to be around than someone who doesn't even appear on their own website....and who are probably nothing like I'm forced to imagine they are. Again, I'm going to stay at their house, and give them my money....I want to know.
"...Again, I'm going to stay at their house, and give them my money....I want to know."
OK 'Blue, good point. So far, our copy on the site was written to answer the kinds of questions we usually get over the phone..., well, back to the keyboard for our brief description. Maybe the guests this coming weekend will take a photo of us!
KathleenM

wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
wink_smile.gif

No need to wait, use a 'skinny' pic, that's what I did!

wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
I'm with Skamokawa when I look for a place to stay...show me the rooms and the location. That's all I'm there for. Yeah, it would be nice if you helped me find some good places to eat, but I'm not there to be the innkeeper's new best friend. If it works out that way, all the better, but it's not important.
Which may be why I don't attach as much importance to making sure every guest has been greeted personally by me. They met hubs if they didn't meet me. I'm here if they need me, but because I'm not looking for a lot of interaction when I travel, I assume other people are like me and want to be on their own.
OTOH, I just had a good old chin wag with guests who just arrived. And they know my name. And I shook hands with the next guests and called them by name.
But, after all of this conversation I am going to make a huge effort (I'm shy in person with people I don't know) to greet everyone personally in the morning who I didn't meet the day before.

Back