The Hired Help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have our names or photos on the website. Back when we had time, I generally would not click on that information on a B&B site. I wanted to see pix of the rooms, see the price, and where the inn was located in relation to whatever attraction we were going to the area to see.
Some of the owner descriptions seem a bit on the cutsy side, a little too much information about 'buildin the dream' and so forth.....do people really want this kind of information?
Weigh in please. If the majority think its a friendly, welcoming addition to a site, our photos will be on in a flash....well....maybe after dropping 20 pounds or so.
wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
"little too much information about 'buildin the dream' and so forth"
That's tells me that they are excited about Innkeeping, and are living their dream (or were at least when they wrote that page). I would consider those innkeepers to probably be more fun to be around than someone who doesn't even appear on their own website....and who are probably nothing like I'm forced to imagine they are. Again, I'm going to stay at their house, and give them my money....I want to know.
I'm with Skamokawa when I look for a place to stay...show me the rooms and the location. That's all I'm there for. Yeah, it would be nice if you helped me find some good places to eat, but I'm not there to be the innkeeper's new best friend. If it works out that way, all the better, but it's not important.
Which may be why I don't attach as much importance to making sure every guest has been greeted personally by me. They met hubs if they didn't meet me. I'm here if they need me, but because I'm not looking for a lot of interaction when I travel, I assume other people are like me and want to be on their own.
OTOH, I just had a good old chin wag with guests who just arrived. And they know my name. And I shook hands with the next guests and called them by name.
But, after all of this conversation I am going to make a huge effort (I'm shy in person with people I don't know) to greet everyone personally in the morning who I didn't meet the day before.
Bree said:
I'm with Skamokawa when I look for a place to stay...show me the rooms and the location. That's all I'm there for. Yeah, it would be nice if you helped me find some good places to eat, but I'm not there to be the innkeeper's new best friend. If it works out that way, all the better, but it's not important.
Which may be why I don't attach as much importance to making sure every guest has been greeted personally by me. They met hubs if they didn't meet me. I'm here if they need me, but because I'm not looking for a lot of interaction when I travel, I assume other people are like me and want to be on their own.
OTOH, I just had a good old chin wag with guests who just arrived. And they know my name. And I shook hands with the next guests and called them by name.
But, after all of this conversation I am going to make a huge effort (I'm shy in person with people I don't know) to greet everyone personally in the morning who I didn't meet the day before.
I totally understand the predicament. We had a week of all one nighters and they were ships in the night, as soon as I recognized one a new one was in it's place. It is understandable, you have more than one or two rooms to tend to. Sometimes when they are there late at night and check out the next moring we ask ourselves why bother...but we need to. I made $20 on a room who did just that, really appreciated everything - and I am thinking, WHAT? Sheesh you were barely even here!
Gotta roll with the punches.

We don't have our names or photos on the website. Back when we had time, I generally would not click on that information on a B&B site. I wanted to see pix of the rooms, see the price, and where the inn was located in relation to whatever attraction we were going to the area to see.
Some of the owner descriptions seem a bit on the cutsy side, a little too much information about 'buildin the dream' and so forth.....do people really want this kind of information?
Weigh in please. If the majority think its a friendly, welcoming addition to a site, our photos will be on in a flash....well....maybe after dropping 20 pounds or so.
wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
wink_smile.gif

No need to wait, use a 'skinny' pic, that's what I did!
You don't have to do a full body shot..just a little head shot would be fine. ANd yep..the other day I actually found a lesson on line on how to "reduce a fat photo to a skinny one:)"

If guests know who they're coming to stay with, or have taken the time to read that page of our site, they know that they're coming to a small place, that it's what we always wanted to do, that it's our home, a little about our background and that we have two dogs (and what they look like and their names). It just adds an additional dimension to the Inn ...attracts like minded folks, and maybe repels people who would not be happy here with us.
I could be altogether wrong, but I think I get so few problem guests because everyone knows just what to expect...and I don't have any fancy photo, just hubs and me in jeans and tshirts, sunburned, sitting with our heads together and smiling...and neither of us is skinny!

wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
That's tells me that they are excited about Innkeeping, and are living their dream (or were at least when they wrote that page). I would consider those innkeepers to probably be more fun to be around than someone who doesn't even appear on their own website....and who are probably nothing like I'm forced to imagine they are. Again, I'm going to stay at their house, and give them my money....I want to know.
Bree said:
I totally understand the predicament. We had a week of all one nighters and they were ships in the night, as soon as I recognized one a new one was in it's place. It is understandable, you have more than one or two rooms to tend to. Sometimes when they are there late at night and check out the next moring we ask ourselves why bother...but we need to. I made $20 on a room who did just that, really appreciated everything - and I am thinking, WHAT? Sheesh you were barely even here!
And we do get a lot of one nighters, late arrival/early departure sorts. Some of our best, longest running guests spend less than 12 hours in the house. They arrive when they want and depart when they want. They've been here 8 times this year alone and I might see them for 5 minutes.
A nice review we got said they liked it here because we weren't in their faces all the time. Obviously we worked for that couple. We don't work for couples who want a lot of attention or no attention.

wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
Bree said:
And we do get a lot of one nighters, late arrival/early departure sorts. Some of our best, longest running guests spend less than 12 hours in the house. They arrive when they want and depart when they want. They've been here 8 times this year alone and I might see them for 5 minutes.
A nice review we got said they liked it here because we weren't in their faces all the time. Obviously we worked for that couple. We don't work for couples who want a lot of attention or no attention.
Case in point...guest just arrived. Threw his cc on the counter, said hi, signed and was gone to 'his' room. 2 minutes flat. Early brekkie tomorrow and he's gone.

Okay so it is perception. A photo of the innkeepers does not mean in your face helo-hovering. It means "HEY YOU! WELCOME TO OUR BED AND BREAKFAST!"
You know me by now, I don't even want to chit chat with the innkeepers (unless they are friends from the forum). I am not wanting interaction AT ALL. Don't ask me how I liked something, don't try to tell me about the area, just leave me be. So you know if I say that, I really mean that. In fact I stay at hotels more than BnB's. Sounds horrible, I know it, I want to be off-the-clock when I am not working.
shades_smile.gif

Which is why I am thinking of using those gc's. I know I can stay with inn-mates, I just want to go inncognito again.

Okay so it is perception. A photo of the innkeepers does not mean in your face helo-hovering. It means "HEY YOU! WELCOME TO OUR BED AND BREAKFAST!"
You know me by now, I don't even want to chit chat with the innkeepers (unless they are friends from the forum). I am not wanting interaction AT ALL. Don't ask me how I liked something, don't try to tell me about the area, just leave me be. So you know if I say that, I really mean that. In fact I stay at hotels more than BnB's. Sounds horrible, I know it, I want to be off-the-clock when I am not working.
shades_smile.gif

Which is why I am thinking of using those gc's. I know I can stay with inn-mates, I just want to go inncognito again..
We just had a 4 night guest who didn't smile, didn't talk, barely acknowledged my presence. No idea why he picked a B&B. He & hubs had a great old natter, but he did not speak to me. Because I have a family member just like him, I ignored him, too. It worked for both of us!
And here he was one of the guests I greeted by name at the door. 'Hi! You must be ____. I'm ___.' And I called him by name everyday. 'Good morning, ____! Would you like hot cocoa today? Is there enough Splenda on your table?'
So, see, I had memorized what he liked to drink, how he needed a lot of Splenda, how many glasses of juice he drank and that he liked his toast burnt.
He DID say hi to me on the street one day, which surprised me no end. And he did say goodbye to me when he left.

wink_smile.gif

KathleenM.
I have a little bit about us. I do tell about what we are involved in so they might understand why I may greet and run and give an idea of what we are about, but I doubt if many read it or care. I put up a photo when this came up last time.
I hate it when someone goes into the "it was always a dream and after my divorce I raised 10 kids on my own while wrking and lovingly restoring this wonderful house step by step...." Who gives a flying flip? This makes me think you are going to bore the hell out of me talking about each board that was restored.
My guests come to see my area or visit friends - not to see me or to be bored by DH (I DO try to turn him off and sometimes even succeed).

i am very friendly - on the phone, in emails, in person. got lots of warm hugs at checkouts and follow up thank you's. as an interim innkeeper, i get them also.
but as solo female innkeeper, i had problems showing a picture and my name on the site, so i removed it. spam, obscene phone calls, etc.
lack of picture and name is not ALWAYS indicative of a hands off innkeeper. if some potential guests chose not to consider staying with me because of that, 'tis a shame.

I seem to remember you saying that you don't always personally greet guests at check-in, or introduce yourself as the owner...do you think that's why?.
So, it's ok to be rude to me because they don't realize I'm the owner? Or treat other guests like they are their personal doormen?
However, point taken. I should not only greet them in the morning, ask how they are doing, etc I should make it very clear that I am not the serving wench.
Bree....
I hope you know that I didn't mean to offend you...just seems that some people are more likely to treat what they see as "the help" differently than they would the owner...not saying that makes it right...just saying it might be the case here. And some "hotel people" and some of the "I've stayed in B&B's all over the world people" both tend to be a little bit of a pita. While these two sound like the passive agressive type, at least they're not being really horrible....and least the PA types are easier to ignore, because you can pretend that you don't even notice.
If they don't know who the owner is, they're likely to think "absentee owner" and assume disinterested ownership. And many guests choose a B&B expecting close contact with the Innkeepers. I've stayed at places with no innkeeper contact, and I'm always a little disappointed.
And, if they DO somehow see you around the Inn and find out that you are the owner, but you have never introduced yourself as such, or inquired about their stay, that might send mixed signals.
Again, just my personal observations, based on what I were to think as a guest.
No, no offense taken. I realize that some people may just not realize that I'm the owner/innkeeper and I should be more aggressive in letting them know that. I have taken to letting guests know who I am when I check them in. It's the ones I don't check in, like you said, who don't know who I am.
Then again, a lot of guests don't really care who I am as long as they're being fed and housed with some semblance of nicety. We've had guests here for a week who were introduced to us, our names are in the room books, we have our biz cards right on the desk, etc and they still say, 'So, what did you say your name was?' after a week's stay! Just not important to them.
Bree said:
No, no offense taken. I realize that some people may just not realize that I'm the owner/innkeeper and I should be more aggressive in letting them know that. I have taken to letting guests know who I am when I check them in. It's the ones I don't check in, like you said, who don't know who I am.
Then again, a lot of guests don't really care who I am as long as they're being fed and housed with some semblance of nicety. We've had guests here for a week who were introduced to us, our names are in the room books, we have our biz cards right on the desk, etc and they still say, 'So, what did you say your name was?' after a week's stay! Just not important to them.
I'll bet if you answered the door in a dominatrix outfit and riding crop, they wouldn't pull that crap!
evil2.gif

Thanks PT, I just snorted coffee out my nose! Yup, they would have no doubt who's in charge from the git-go, wouldn't they??!!
I notice that some Inns, including some on this forum with featured ads and links, have websites that don't mention the Innkeepers, and one has photos of the innkeepers, and a background blurb, but doesn't give their names. If I'm B&B shopping for a trip, or even checking out other Inns for whatever reason, the first thing I do is look for the Innkeepers on the website. If I don't see 'em, I'm likely to move on to the next place after the most cursory glance at rooms and/or rates, as I will assume absentee or corporate ownership.
AGAIN, I'm not looking to offend anyone, don't need any tirades from the usual suspects. I'm genuinely curious and directing this question to the forum in general.....but I'm wondering, If you don't mention yourselves on your Inn's website, why not? Oversight or intentional?
I am like you. I want to see at least a photo of the innkeepers and maybe a brief bio..that is enough. I think it shows you care enough about your inn and your guests. LIke you...if I see nothing...I will usually move on.
catlady said:
I am like you. I want to see at least a photo of the innkeepers and maybe a brief bio..that is enough. I think it shows you care enough about your inn and your guests. LIke you...if I see nothing...I will usually move on.
We have a brief bio and pic on our website and in the room book. We know people read them, because they act like we're old friends by the time they get to breakfast. Everyone seems genuinely interested and I guess it does make it more personal.

i am very friendly - on the phone, in emails, in person. got lots of warm hugs at checkouts and follow up thank you's. as an interim innkeeper, i get them also.
but as solo female innkeeper, i had problems showing a picture and my name on the site, so i removed it. spam, obscene phone calls, etc.
lack of picture and name is not ALWAYS indicative of a hands off innkeeper. if some potential guests chose not to consider staying with me because of that, 'tis a shame..
We used to get a lot of Friday night drunken calls and the drunks all asked for the female half of the PO's by name. Because it was still on the website while we waited to get things updated? I don't know.

lack of picture and name is not ALWAYS indicative of a hands off innkeeper. if some potential guests chose not to consider staying with me because of that, 'tis a shame..
We used to get a lot of Friday night drunken calls and the drunks all asked for the female half of the PO's by name. Because it was still on the website while we waited to get things updated? I don't know.
Bree said:
Bree! Any other excuses? Just say you don't want it on there.
cry_smile.gif
Stop the insanity.

I'm more like Seashanty. We love our guests and interact with them throughout their stay, if they want that. If they want to be left alone, that's o.k. too. We are warm and friendly and give hugs when they leave. But we don't have photos or bio's of ourselves on our website. It just never occurred to us to do it. Also, when we go away, we really don't need to know everything there is to know about the innkeepers. It adds a little curious anticipation to each place we visit. I get a good or bad feel from the website alone.

went back to bree's original post ~~ i wonder why some people act that way ~~ towards the innkeepers, towards other guests.
they just have no class ~~

I don't look for innkeeper info when in search of a B&B. First thing I go to on a site is the rooms & rates page. I also want to know if it is a full breakfast or a continental. If it's a continental, I move on!

I'm more like Seashanty. We love our guests and interact with them throughout their stay, if they want that. If they want to be left alone, that's o.k. too. We are warm and friendly and give hugs when they leave. But we don't have photos or bio's of ourselves on our website. It just never occurred to us to do it. Also, when we go away, we really don't need to know everything there is to know about the innkeepers. It adds a little curious anticipation to each place we visit. I get a good or bad feel from the website alone..
My Library is the room by the door and at the bottom of the steps. I have my desk facing the window so I can watch for guests, see what is happening in the world, and have abundant light. The door to this room is always open and to my immediate left.
This makes me Madame LaFarge at the beck and call of my guests or not - as they choose. I joke with the guests that I am Madam LaFarge minus the knitting.

Bree said:
cry_smile.gif
Stop the insanity.
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
cry_smile.gif
Stop the insanity.
But it is on there. But there are reasons it took so long for me to decide to do it. Just showing both sides!

I like having a picture of the owner(s) or Innkeeper on the website. It doesn't even have to really say anything, I just like seeing it. It doesn't stop me from booking at your place if there's no picture, I just like it. Although if there's a long blurb about your college degrees, all the places you used to work, etc., then i don't read all that, boring!

I like having a picture of the owner(s) or Innkeeper on the website. It doesn't even have to really say anything, I just like seeing it. It doesn't stop me from booking at your place if there's no picture, I just like it. Although if there's a long blurb about your college degrees, all the places you used to work, etc., then i don't read all that, boring!.
GeorgiaGirl said:
I like having a picture of the owner(s) or Innkeeper on the website. It doesn't even have to really say anything, I just like seeing it. It doesn't stop me from booking at your place if there's no picture, I just like it. Although if there's a long blurb about your college degrees, all the places you used to work, etc., then i don't read all that, boring!
A B&B bio should be written to be engaging and not some narcissistic drivel that serves to puff the innkeeper up. The whole point of it should be to make your B&B seem warm and welcoming.
Some of the many comments we receive are how much the guest, when reading our bio, relate to our journey to get here. I think nearly everyone who visits a B&B sometimes muses to themselves about owning one "someday."

I like having a picture of the owner(s) or Innkeeper on the website. It doesn't even have to really say anything, I just like seeing it. It doesn't stop me from booking at your place if there's no picture, I just like it. Although if there's a long blurb about your college degrees, all the places you used to work, etc., then i don't read all that, boring!.
GeorgiaGirl said:
A B&B bio should be written to be engaging and not some narcissistic drivel that serves to puff the innkeeper up. The whole point of it should be to make your B&B seem warm and welcoming.
Some of the many comments we receive are how much the guest, when reading our bio, relate to our journey to get here. I think nearly everyone who visits a B&B sometimes muses to themselves about owning one "someday."
Proud Texan said:
GeorgiaGirl said:
Well put.
The human-ness of innkeeping. That is what I want as well. Drivel sends me onto the next on the list.
Guests yesterday mentioned how difficult and headachy it was for them to book their vacation and they nearly ended up just staying in hotels. They said "No prices on the rooms, no description of where the rooms are" one lady had medical issues and preferred downstairs rooms... I looked at them like a deer in the headlights. YES! I said, I am on my soapboax about it all the time.
They said "Don't innkeepers know we are looking at dozens of websites at a time!"
Apparently not. I have done a search recently and I really did plan to stay SOMEPLACE if I could just find it.

Back