The Hired Help

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Ever get those guests who ARE B&B people, who ALWAYS stay at B&B's but who treat you like medieval serfs? I'm getting a little tired of one pair who are doing that. They've looked down their noses over the paper for 2 days now. Sniffed the breakfast before eating. And now they are 'allowing' other guests to open and close the outside door for them. Heaven forbid they should open the door for themselves. I just 'caught' them standing on the porch waiting for guests inside the house to open the door. Hands were not full, keys were in hand, but someone else was available for doorman duty so why not.
And it doesn't help that I'm getting tired. After giving away over $200 in unexpected discounts this weekend (due to totally idiotic mistakes on my part) I'm ready for a break.

You poor thing. May they depart soon and never bother any of us in their travels. Maybe they will find some St Bernards.......

Come stay with me for a few days. It's a pretty slow week for me so I can wait on you so you can take a break!
regular_smile.gif

You poor thing. May they depart soon and never bother any of us in their travels. Maybe they will find some St Bernards........
Departed sooner than expected. I guess they really didn't like us.

Reminds me of that problem Lenora had that time. Remember that?

I seem to remember you saying that you don't always personally greet guests at check-in, or introduce yourself as the owner...do you think that's why?

I seem to remember you saying that you don't always personally greet guests at check-in, or introduce yourself as the owner...do you think that's why?.
Little Blue said:
I seem to remember you saying that you don't always personally greet guests at check-in, or introduce yourself as the owner...do you think that's why?
But that should not make a difference! Everyone deserves to be treated with respect! If I had emplyees I would not expect them to take any more *&^%$$ than I would myself!
They were just creeps.
Riki

I seem to remember you saying that you don't always personally greet guests at check-in, or introduce yourself as the owner...do you think that's why?.
So, it's ok to be rude to me because they don't realize I'm the owner? Or treat other guests like they are their personal doormen?
However, point taken. I should not only greet them in the morning, ask how they are doing, etc I should make it very clear that I am not the serving wench.

Some people are just arrogant, it has nothing to do with you or your presentation, it has to do with them, and the aura of exaggerated self opinion/superiority complex - aka airs. There are innkeepers who also boast some of these qualities, unfortunately.

I despise the people who show up acting like what you've described above. What happens a lot is that they will settle into their room, read the guest binder which tells a little about myself & DH, then the next time I see them, they are all buddy, buddy! It seems that after they have read about us, we have "come up to their level". NO THANKS! Like Egoodel said, everyone should be treated with the same respect. When I get those types of people, I stay as far away from them as I can.

Some people are just arrogant, it has nothing to do with you or your presentation, it has to do with them, and the aura of exaggerated self opinion/superiority complex - aka airs. There are innkeepers who also boast some of these qualities, unfortunately..
Joe Bloggs said: There are innkeepers who also boast some of these qualities, unfortunately.
Yeah, that would be me. NOT!!!
Well, we can't really take it personally if we're not the right "fit" for every guest. But, we are human and most times we do. Sorry this happened to you :-(

I despise the people who show up acting like what you've described above. What happens a lot is that they will settle into their room, read the guest binder which tells a little about myself & DH, then the next time I see them, they are all buddy, buddy! It seems that after they have read about us, we have "come up to their level". NO THANKS! Like Egoodel said, everyone should be treated with the same respect. When I get those types of people, I stay as far away from them as I can..
So, then you rebuff their friendly overtures??

I despise the people who show up acting like what you've described above. What happens a lot is that they will settle into their room, read the guest binder which tells a little about myself & DH, then the next time I see them, they are all buddy, buddy! It seems that after they have read about us, we have "come up to their level". NO THANKS! Like Egoodel said, everyone should be treated with the same respect. When I get those types of people, I stay as far away from them as I can..
Breakfast Diva said:
I despise the people who show up acting like what you've described above. What happens a lot is that they will settle into their room, read the guest binder which tells a little about myself & DH, then the next time I see them, they are all buddy, buddy! It seems that after they have read about us, we have "come up to their level". NO THANKS! Like Egoodel said, everyone should be treated with the same respect. When I get those types of people, I stay as far away from them as I can.
We've had them like that. They think that their sh
potty-mouth.gif
it smells better than everyone else's.

So, it's ok to be rude to me because they don't realize I'm the owner? Or treat other guests like they are their personal doormen?
However, point taken. I should not only greet them in the morning, ask how they are doing, etc I should make it very clear that I am not the serving wench.
Bree....
I hope you know that I didn't mean to offend you...just seems that some people are more likely to treat what they see as "the help" differently than they would the owner...not saying that makes it right...just saying it might be the case here. And some "hotel people" and some of the "I've stayed in B&B's all over the world people" both tend to be a little bit of a pita. While these two sound like the passive agressive type, at least they're not being really horrible....and least the PA types are easier to ignore, because you can pretend that you don't even notice.
If they don't know who the owner is, they're likely to think "absentee owner" and assume disinterested ownership. And many guests choose a B&B expecting close contact with the Innkeepers. I've stayed at places with no innkeeper contact, and I'm always a little disappointed.
And, if they DO somehow see you around the Inn and find out that you are the owner, but you have never introduced yourself as such, or inquired about their stay, that might send mixed signals.
Again, just my personal observations, based on what I were to think as a guest.

Bree....
I hope you know that I didn't mean to offend you...just seems that some people are more likely to treat what they see as "the help" differently than they would the owner...not saying that makes it right...just saying it might be the case here. And some "hotel people" and some of the "I've stayed in B&B's all over the world people" both tend to be a little bit of a pita. While these two sound like the passive agressive type, at least they're not being really horrible....and least the PA types are easier to ignore, because you can pretend that you don't even notice.
If they don't know who the owner is, they're likely to think "absentee owner" and assume disinterested ownership. And many guests choose a B&B expecting close contact with the Innkeepers. I've stayed at places with no innkeeper contact, and I'm always a little disappointed.
And, if they DO somehow see you around the Inn and find out that you are the owner, but you have never introduced yourself as such, or inquired about their stay, that might send mixed signals.
No, no offense taken. I realize that some people may just not realize that I'm the owner/innkeeper and I should be more aggressive in letting them know that. I have taken to letting guests know who I am when I check them in. It's the ones I don't check in, like you said, who don't know who I am.
Then again, a lot of guests don't really care who I am as long as they're being fed and housed with some semblance of nicety. We've had guests here for a week who were introduced to us, our names are in the room books, we have our biz cards right on the desk, etc and they still say, 'So, what did you say your name was?' after a week's stay! Just not important to them.

Bree....
No, no offense taken. I realize that some people may just not realize that I'm the owner/innkeeper and I should be more aggressive in letting them know that. I have taken to letting guests know who I am when I check them in. It's the ones I don't check in, like you said, who don't know who I am.
Then again, a lot of guests don't really care who I am as long as they're being fed and housed with some semblance of nicety. We've had guests here for a week who were introduced to us, our names are in the room books, we have our biz cards right on the desk, etc and they still say, 'So, what did you say your name was?' after a week's stay! Just not important to them.
Bree said:
I'll bet if you answered the door in a dominatrix outfit and riding crop, they wouldn't pull that crap!
evil2.gif

Back