The Hotel Inspector

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
This is really more of a vent than anything so here goes.
Tomorrow the hotel inspector is coming. I have tried in vain to reschedule him because we have just come off a Holiday weekend, we still have guests here, we have more guests coming in, my housekeeper quit, the landscaper will be here, the roofer is coming and the inspector will be arriving when I am serving breakfast.
Not a good time I told him.
He said he rarely gets up to my area and he can not come another time.
I explained that the only time that would be worse than this, is if we were actually on fire.
Just before he hung up the phone he said he looks forward to me exceeding his expectations! Hows that for nerve?
I am sooo p*ssed off! grrrrrrrrr!

Wow! I guess you can't even offer to feed him for fear of that being seen as a bribe. Hopefully, he's delayed enough that breakfast is over, otherwise I certainly hope he doesn't think you're going to drop everything to wander around with him! And that he also understands he cannot enter occupied guest rooms without their express permission.

Wow! I guess you can't even offer to feed him for fear of that being seen as a bribe. Hopefully, he's delayed enough that breakfast is over, otherwise I certainly hope he doesn't think you're going to drop everything to wander around with him! And that he also understands he cannot enter occupied guest rooms without their express permission..
Morticia said:
Wow! I guess you can't even offer to feed him for fear of that being seen as a bribe. Hopefully, he's delayed enough that breakfast is over, otherwise I certainly hope he doesn't think you're going to drop everything to wander around with him! And that he also understands he cannot enter occupied guest rooms without their express permission.
I told him that he can walk the property and look at the common areas, but I can't allow him in the kitchen when we are working and he can't see any occupied guest rooms. The only ones he can see are the ones that have been vacated, but they will not be turned around.
I don't know what else to do. I have to leave it to fate and hope I am in their good graces.
omg....I just had a horrible vision of the neighbors doing something stupid or blasting thrash metal music at a million decibels.
cry_smile.gif

Probably not a good time to mention it, but my favorite Fawlty Towers episode is the one where Basil's nervous because the hotel inspector is coming.

Wow! I guess you can't even offer to feed him for fear of that being seen as a bribe. Hopefully, he's delayed enough that breakfast is over, otherwise I certainly hope he doesn't think you're going to drop everything to wander around with him! And that he also understands he cannot enter occupied guest rooms without their express permission..
Morticia said:
I told him that he can walk the property and look at the common areas, but I can't allow him in the kitchen when we are working and he can't see any occupied guest rooms. The only ones he can see are the ones that have been vacated, but they will not be turned around.
I don't know what else to do. I have to leave it to fate and hope I am in their good graces.
omg....I just had a horrible vision of the neighbors doing something stupid or blasting thrash metal music at a million decibels.
cry_smile.gif

I would think that other than the neighbors loosing rats into your yard or piling trash on the fence, there's not much the inspector can say to you about them. Entirely different property. If he mentions anything, suggest he pay them a visit...
The best thing we've found is to be nice to the inspector. 'Sorry this is such a busy time of day that I cannot accompany you around. Please let me know if anything needs my immediate attention. I'll join you as soon as I can.'
If you have any particular regs you need to be following, be sure everything that is required to meet those regs is easily visible to the inspector. Bleach? Make sure it's on a shelf near where it is supposed to be used. Thermometers in the guest fridges? Easy to find, not shoved in the back. Mop sink? Make sure it's not full of anything other than a mop. Gloves for any purpose? Make sure they're out.
Our inspector doesn't care if the stuff we're supposed to have is where WE can find it, it has to be where HE can find it. Unaided. He told us at the outset, if he doesn't see it immediately, it's not there.

Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif

The VFD has a semi-trailer (minus truck) parked dead-center sight-line from the glider on my porch. It has been there for a week now. I know it is nothing compared to the noise level and shenigans you have had. Just wanted to let you know there are others in a similar boat.
The did tear down the house across the street AFTER City Council sent a letter demanding demolition. they had stripped it of everything usable (including the copper waterlines) and had used it for "entry practice". After it was nothing but parking lot, they put up a sign on my corner regarding designated parking only and on weekend nights the "boys' club gathers to whoop & holler. The thump - thump of their bass speakers vibrates my walls.

FD ... 1. smile brightly
2. tell him (?) you appreciate his understanding
3. ditto to all that morticia said
you do NOT want to antagonize this person. you want him to be on YOUR side. inspections are done when they are done and usually mapped out so that the inspector can do the visits on a route. i am sure the inspector knows you are busy ... you are in business, after all. my inspections were always carried out when there were guests here and i never had one insist on entering a guest room while occupied. also, the septic had to be pumped out ... coincidentally ... at the same time as our state inspection.
assume and expect the best

Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif

I would think that other than the neighbors loosing rats into your yard or piling trash on the fence, there's not much the inspector can say to you about them. Entirely different property. If he mentions anything, suggest he pay them a visit...
The best thing we've found is to be nice to the inspector. 'Sorry this is such a busy time of day that I cannot accompany you around. Please let me know if anything needs my immediate attention. I'll join you as soon as I can.'
If you have any particular regs you need to be following, be sure everything that is required to meet those regs is easily visible to the inspector. Bleach? Make sure it's on a shelf near where it is supposed to be used. Thermometers in the guest fridges? Easy to find, not shoved in the back. Mop sink? Make sure it's not full of anything other than a mop. Gloves for any purpose? Make sure they're out.
Our inspector doesn't care if the stuff we're supposed to have is where WE can find it, it has to be where HE can find it. Unaided. He told us at the outset, if he doesn't see it immediately, it's not there.
Morticia said:
Ditto.
And cookies are probably not considered a bribe. Or coffee. Both are usually very much appreciated as is a warm welcome.

I probably have nothing to add as it concerns this particular type of inspection.
However.......I have had more than a life times experience with government agencies and their inquiries.
Don't sweat it..........you can't worry about something that hasn't happened yet..........and when that time comes........be accomodating and go with the flow.......if there are issues...............no big deal. It will be pointed out to you for your correction............possibly a later inspection to see that the issues were handled........ask questions if you have any, wether it be about the momment or something planned dow the road. One thing I learned early on with Government.........if who ever you are dealing with identifies you as one who is engaged with what is going on. Knowledgeable, informative, has questions and genuinely concerned. They tend to be more pleasant.
As important this inspections is...............it's not the IRS.

FD ... 1. smile brightly
you do NOT want to antagonize this person. you want him to be on YOUR side. inspections are done when they are done and usually mapped out so that the inspector can do the visits on a route. i am sure the inspector knows you are busy ... you are in business, after all. my inspections were always carried out when there were guests here and i never had one insist on entering a guest room while occupied. also, the septic had to be pumped out ... coincidentally ... at the same time as our state inspection.
assume and expect the best.
seashanty said:
FD ... 1. smile brightly
you do NOT want to antagonize this person. you want him to be on YOUR side.
Exactamente.

FD ... 1. smile brightly
assume and expect the best.
Edited to delete duplicate.

update:
He spent 2 hours here and looked at everything from the ice in my freezer compartment to check for dust on my ceiling fans.
His suggestion to me was I need to increase my social networking by use of social media such as facebook and to create a blog.
That was it. Now I have 4 rooms to do before 3 oclock!

update:
He spent 2 hours here and looked at everything from the ice in my freezer compartment to check for dust on my ceiling fans.
His suggestion to me was I need to increase my social networking by use of social media such as facebook and to create a blog.
That was it. Now I have 4 rooms to do before 3 oclock!.
What the hell does the inspector care about FB and blogging other than as a way to 'catch' you doing something you shouldn't be? My guess is that FB and blogs have made his job a lot easier. TWO HOURS??? Holy cow.

update:
A pat on the back to you FD - he spent 2 hours trying to find something to tell you to do better and in the end all he could do is give you networking advise!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

update:
A pat on the back to you FD - he spent 2 hours trying to find something to tell you to do better and in the end all he could do is give you networking advise!
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

copperhead said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
awwww. Thanks CH!

update:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

copperhead said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
Very true!

I'm so glad everything worked out well for you FD!
I'm right now in inspector limbo. Our inspections are not announced. They can show up any time they want with no notice and since she came this time a year ago, I'm constantly on pins and needles every time someone drives up. Like the others, I'm baffled why your inspector even cares about your social media. It really could be like Mort said....trying to catch you at something. Last year my inspector showed up with my website printed up and wanted to question me about my add-ons which contained food. In my location, I can't cook anything other than breakfast, so my picnic basket and fondue package has to have all it's items purchased. The inspector was trying to catch me cooking the fondue, but I surprised her when I pulled the box of imported cheese fondue out of the pantry!
I'll sure hope my inspection happens soon!

update:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

copperhead said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
awwww. Thanks CH!
copperhead said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
Ditto.

hmmmm ... i remember an almost 'gotcha' .... i had the mini moos and coffee mates in baskets on the counter and an inspector hustled over saying, 'these are supposed to be refrigerated' ... til i showed him where it said 'no refrigeration needed' .... whew!

Back