The Hotel Inspector

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours complained we had weeds in the car park where I am people are so happy to have somewhere to park the last thing they could care about is weeds! Plus we were having the car park resurfaced in 2 weeks so I wasn't about to make a majour effort in that respect.

weeds in the parking lot .... website .... honestly, this is really stretching things, isn't it?

There are weeds and there are WEEDS! Next door has weeds in the car park that adjoins ours and they make Jack's Bean stock look tiny. It is an eye sore and is the cause of a guest asking "Is my vehicle safe out there?" it is called maintenance. It is common around here, for every house that has meticulous gardens there is a business with weeds overrunning their place.
Just because FD mentioned the inspector making small talk about social media is in no way implied it was part of the inspection. We need to be careful here not to read things into every single comment, he was probably just discussing the B&B and maybe others he has inspected or even visited himself. I would give anything for a spot inspection next door.
Whatever they find is just something that needs to be fixed, unless people are dying at your place, they are usually very fair. Standards are standards, wish more inns had them across the board.

You never mentioned what inspector this was other than hotel was it AAA? Association inspection? Local health dept? 2 hours is a long inspection, he must have done more talking than inspecting.
FYI you can find most inspections online from your local health dept, B&B's won't be under the normal restaurant/catering category usually, although some are. When you (collectively all innkeepers) are even worried about dust go look and see the minor and major violations at your local eateries for a gross out.

There are weeds and there are WEEDS! Next door has weeds in the car park that adjoins ours and they make Jack's Bean stock look tiny. It is an eye sore and is the cause of a guest asking "Is my vehicle safe out there?" it is called maintenance. It is common around here, for every house that has meticulous gardens there is a business with weeds overrunning their place.
Just because FD mentioned the inspector making small talk about social media is in no way implied it was part of the inspection. We need to be careful here not to read things into every single comment, he was probably just discussing the B&B and maybe others he has inspected or even visited himself. I would give anything for a spot inspection next door.
Whatever they find is just something that needs to be fixed, unless people are dying at your place, they are usually very fair. Standards are standards, wish more inns had them across the board..
Joey Bloggs said:
Whatever they find is just something that needs to be fixed, unless people are dying at your place, they are usually very fair. Standards are standards, wish more inns had them across the board.
that sounds fair
FD?

You never mentioned what inspector this was other than hotel was it AAA? Association inspection? Local health dept? 2 hours is a long inspection, he must have done more talking than inspecting.
FYI you can find most inspections online from your local health dept, B&B's won't be under the normal restaurant/catering category usually, although some are. When you (collectively all innkeepers) are even worried about dust go look and see the minor and major violations at your local eateries for a gross out..
Yes, I am amazed at what the inspector looked at here, how we have done our very best to keep it as clean as is humanly possible and then the kitchens I've seen in other places (restaurants, inns, etc) that actually made me decide to never eat there again. And I'm pretty casual about my personal food.

Whatever they find is just something that needs to be fixed, unless people are dying at your place, they are usually very fair. Standards are standards, wish more inns had them across the board..
Joey Bloggs said:
I don't take anything the inspector says as 'small talk'. Unless the book is closed and he's on his way out the door. From the way she wrote it, he was telling her to get more social media going. Why? Why would he care? Was he really trying to help her business? She'll have to comment on how she felt in that moment. (You know me, I jump to all the wrong conclusions!)

This inspector was the inspector for the state lodging association. He was a former B & B owner turned inspector. He looked at the oddest things. He stood in the showers and looked out through the glass doors. Checked the toilets and how long they took to refill. Turned on the hot water and counted the seconds to see how lomg it took the water to turn hot. Looked in the fridge and checked the ice in the freezer.
Didn't want to see any housekeeping supplies or the dishwasher to see if it had a sanitation cycle. He did look at the mattresses and then pounded on them. Why? No idea.
He walked the gardens and checked the outside social areas. Never saw the parking lot. Never even asked us what kind of breakfasts we serve.
The whole thing was kind of weird.

So......it wasn't a code inspection..........more like a nuisance inspection

So......it wasn't a code inspection..........more like a nuisance inspection.
One Day said:
and 2 hours of my life
confused_smile.gif

This inspector was the inspector for the state lodging association. He was a former B & B owner turned inspector. He looked at the oddest things. He stood in the showers and looked out through the glass doors. Checked the toilets and how long they took to refill. Turned on the hot water and counted the seconds to see how lomg it took the water to turn hot. Looked in the fridge and checked the ice in the freezer.
Didn't want to see any housekeeping supplies or the dishwasher to see if it had a sanitation cycle. He did look at the mattresses and then pounded on them. Why? No idea.
He walked the gardens and checked the outside social areas. Never saw the parking lot. Never even asked us what kind of breakfasts we serve.
The whole thing was kind of weird..
So your state group does inspections? And the other 'B' isn't important? That's odd.
It makes more sense that the state lodging inspector might discuss how you could 'improve' your social media presence. More than the health inspector saying that. Or the AAA folks. Or the Mobil folks. Or any of the travel book people who have stopped in.

The whole thing was kind of weird..
So your state group does inspections? And the other 'B' isn't important? That's odd.
It makes more sense that the state lodging inspector might discuss how you could 'improve' your social media presence. More than the health inspector saying that. Or the AAA folks. Or the Mobil folks. Or any of the travel book people who have stopped in.
In VA, our inspector does nothing with the kitchen. That is up to the local health dept. We have a checklist of items that must be inspected and approved before they can become members and then are inspected every 2 years after that. But we certainly don't pound on the beds, or flush toilets....hmmmm...

Was this an initial inspection or was it a re-inspection? Seems pretty severe for a re-inspection!

He blatently did not have enough to do with his day what a waste of your time. I am sure you passed everything with flying colours and that is all that really matters.

One Day said:
and 2 hours of my life
confused_smile.gif

Is it from this organization? Here is there inspection form.
catlady said:
Yes, that is similar to the one he used. We pay $50 out of our yearly dues towards the inspection and we get inspected every 2 years. Its always a different person. The last one was even worse. She crawled under the beds checking for dust bunnies. *sigh* some people just have too much time on their hands.

One Day said:
and 2 hours of my life
confused_smile.gif

catlady said:
Yes, that is similar to the one he used. We pay $50 out of our yearly dues towards the inspection and we get inspected every 2 years. Its always a different person. The last one was even worse. She crawled under the beds checking for dust bunnies. *sigh* some people just have too much time on their hands.
Sorry, but if I was inspecting, I too would be looking for dust bunnies. I might not be crawling on the floor, but I sure would be lifting dust ruffles. This is an inspection...that is what they are supposed to do. This fellow sounds lke it went to extreme, but if our association claims our members meet certain standards, then they have to meet them...if just for the day we inspect :)

well, this is very different from a health inspection, fire inspection or state inspection ... this is an association you pay to belong to and that actually does inspections ... i thought it was an inspection having to do with one of aforementioned conditions of being licensed and couldn't understand the social media comment. now i do.
also, as someone said .. there are weeds and then there are WEEDS.

well, this is very different from a health inspection, fire inspection or state inspection ... this is an association you pay to belong to and that actually does inspections ... i thought it was an inspection having to do with one of aforementioned conditions of being licensed and couldn't understand the social media comment. now i do.
also, as someone said .. there are weeds and then there are WEEDS..
It was 6 large dandilions in a 10 space parking lot do I pass or fail on the maintenance? They were big ones to be fair but I have a soft spot or dandilions as they have bright sunny flowers.

Back