The Illusionist

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The Illusionist
You can communicate to people how your company really is. If you're bad at positioning and creating your image, you can make it look worse than it really is.
If you are smart (and especially if you're the underdog), you'll create the illusion that your company is better. People will feel more of whatever you need them to feel - professionalism, trust, reliability, experience, excitement, fun, more of...etc.
from Think Daily for Businesspeople http://www.larryjanesky.com/

If you are smart (and especially if you're the underdog), you'll create the illusion that your company is better. People will feel more of whatever you need them to feel - professionalism, trust, reliability, experience, excitement, fun, more of...etc
Since I do not know how to highlight I will settle for this way to indicate that YOU, JB, although not the underdog in ANY enterprise you choose to participate in, exude to people - professionalism, trust, reliability, experience, excitement, fun, more of...etc especially the FUN

For I while, I used to tell curious guests all about the nitty gritty of opening and running a Bed and Breakfast whenever they asked.
One day it dawned on me: Letting people see the inner workings of our business is like going to Disneyland and seeing the actor playing Mickey Mouse with his head off and smoking a cigarette. It kind of ruins the magic. I've since started giving brief, polite, canned answers.
A great deal of what we do is presentation, especially those of us working on a shoestring budget. As most of us have discovered, the things that guests appreciate the most don't cost a thing. So, if a little "smoke and mirrors" will help my guest have a better experience, then what's wrong with that?

For I while, I used to tell curious guests all about the nitty gritty of opening and running a Bed and Breakfast whenever they asked.
One day it dawned on me: Letting people see the inner workings of our business is like going to Disneyland and seeing the actor playing Mickey Mouse with his head off and smoking a cigarette. It kind of ruins the magic. I've since started giving brief, polite, canned answers.
A great deal of what we do is presentation, especially those of us working on a shoestring budget. As most of us have discovered, the things that guests appreciate the most don't cost a thing. So, if a little "smoke and mirrors" will help my guest have a better experience, then what's wrong with that?.
I too experienced this. I told this great story of how we rescued this B&B from foreclosure etc etc. Their eyes would glaze, now I show them the photo as the falls used to be and they get all excited hahahaha.

Back