The Importance of ‘Me Time’

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The Importance of ‘Me Time’
from BnB Edition
Excerpt:
Stepping away from a heavy workload can often be difficult for many of us, whether you’re used to the traditional 9-5 working week, changing shift patterns or working from home, but it becomes often even more so when your home is also your business! Opening your house to visitors can often mean the line between work and leisure becomes blurred and B&B hosts can really struggle to find time to relax.
People who work outside of their planned hours on a regular basis can often find it hard to switch off, which can lead to high stress levels and even physical ailments. To make sure you don’t burn out, take a look at our advice on the importance of making time for yourself, as well as some handy tips and tricks for working that much needed me time into even the most hectic of schedules.

Things are even worse when you are trying to run your business while at the same time holding down a "real" job, and add to that when your "real" job (and home) are 4 hours away from your business!

I think my involvement in my city is my version of me-time. There is such a variety of things I do that it keeps me from being in a rut. My routine has me reading most nights until I get sleepy (unless I am near the end of the book and then I read TOO long!) because if I do not read I feel empty.
I am currently re-doing the City Business Directory in WORD (we had a grant to have the first ever printed professionally) so in the future we can update and print as needed. The first one was a run of 5000 so we could pass them out at events and make people aware of the businesses and variety of businesses in the city. Now we just need them for new residents or on request. so we can make 10 at a time in-house. I have been doing some data entry for the water dept. I teach knitting at the Library, am on Boards and Commissions, in the Community Band, etc. This gives me enough variety that i do not get bogged down. (My version of JB & photography I guess). Actually, since my pro photographer friend told me what camera to buy years ago, I have also evolved into being the City photographer - the camera takes clear photos and I will go take them was the criteria. I NEED variety.

This is great advice to avoid burnout, especially in a business where you are "on" all the time and constantly greeting people. Imperative for innkeepers who are shouldering the brunt of the work themselves! Innkeepers spend so much time taking care of guests, that they forget to take care of themselves! And their own family...
One of the best things that I started to do for myself was to take a hot soak in the evening (as suggested in this article) every once in awhile. Saved my back and feet on more than one occasion. I had to consciously tell myself to take "breaks" during the day and sit down for 5 or 10 minutes and not do something related to the biz because it's everywhere you turn. Even flipping through a magazine took effort.
But good to do to maintain your health and sanity!!

I think my involvement in my city is my version of me-time. There is such a variety of things I do that it keeps me from being in a rut. My routine has me reading most nights until I get sleepy (unless I am near the end of the book and then I read TOO long!) because if I do not read I feel empty.
I am currently re-doing the City Business Directory in WORD (we had a grant to have the first ever printed professionally) so in the future we can update and print as needed. The first one was a run of 5000 so we could pass them out at events and make people aware of the businesses and variety of businesses in the city. Now we just need them for new residents or on request. so we can make 10 at a time in-house. I have been doing some data entry for the water dept. I teach knitting at the Library, am on Boards and Commissions, in the Community Band, etc. This gives me enough variety that i do not get bogged down. (My version of JB & photography I guess). Actually, since my pro photographer friend told me what camera to buy years ago, I have also evolved into being the City photographer - the camera takes clear photos and I will go take them was the criteria. I NEED variety..
Why didn't you do it in a database or at least excel? Then you can import and sort do mailings labels, etc etc.You have limited yourself by doing it just in word.

I am currently re-doing the City Business Directory in WORD (we had a grant to have the first ever printed professionally) so in the future we can update and print as needed. The first one was a run of 5000 so we could pass them out at events and make people aware of the businesses and variety of businesses in the city. Now we just need them for new residents or on request. so we can make 10 at a time in-house. I have been doing some data entry for the water dept. I teach knitting at the Library, am on Boards and Commissions, in the Community Band, etc. This gives me enough variety that i do not get bogged down. (My version of JB & photography I guess). Actually, since my pro photographer friend told me what camera to buy years ago, I have also evolved into being the City photographer - the camera takes clear photos and I will go take them was the criteria. I NEED variety..
Why didn't you do it in a database or at least excel? Then you can import and sort do mailings labels, etc etc.You have limited yourself by doing it just in word.
It needs to be in a booklet. We have lists. But I am doing it so we can make it a book stapled in the middle with cover. They do not know how to make the booklet.

It needs to be in a booklet. We have lists. But I am doing it so we can make it a book stapled in the middle with cover. They do not know how to make the booklet.
Microsoft Publisher will do a booklet, too.

You can still do a booklet by importing the excel file into a booklet. MS TEMPLATES has lots of free templates for just about anything you need. By doing it in a spreadsheet, you allow yourself a variety of options for the future rather than being tied to having to redo the booklet. Update the spreadsheet and import it into whatever you need whether it be a mailing list, form letters, booklet, envelopes etc etc. By just putting it into a word document you have limited the use.

I have switched to publisher. Was avoiding it because the City does not have Publisher.

I have switched to publisher. Was avoiding it because the City does not have Publisher.
Not a good move. Lots don't have or use Publisher. Good if you create a pdf from it but if the town doesn't have it. Don't use it. GO here for a booklet template. There are lots of others as well.

You can still do a booklet by importing the excel file into a booklet. MS TEMPLATES has lots of free templates for just about anything you need. By doing it in a spreadsheet, you allow yourself a variety of options for the future rather than being tied to having to redo the booklet. Update the spreadsheet and import it into whatever you need whether it be a mailing list, form letters, booklet, envelopes etc etc. By just putting it into a word document you have limited the use.
I agree that a spreadsheet is the way to go, but not always the easiest for someone to work with. I think that folks just have to figure out what tool works best for them!

I agree that a spreadsheet is the way to go, but not always the easiest for someone to work with. I think that folks just have to figure out what tool works best for them!
excel is a lot easier than access. Just create the columns you want, name them and start filling them in with the text :)

excel is a lot easier than access. Just create the columns you want, name them and start filling them in with the text :)
I am giving up and going Excel. I hate data entry and have been doing a copy/paste from the list I have but the spacing sucks and that has been taking more time than just typing it. IF I had been successful with Publisher she would have just bought the software which I was trying to avoid. I know that I am going to be doing for the next couple weeks.

I am giving up and going Excel. I hate data entry and have been doing a copy/paste from the list I have but the spacing sucks and that has been taking more time than just typing it. IF I had been successful with Publisher she would have just bought the software which I was trying to avoid. I know that I am going to be doing for the next couple weeks.
What is the text you have? Is it in WORD or just plain text. You could do a find and replace and get rid of excess spaces, etc.

What is the text you have? Is it in WORD or just plain text. You could do a find and replace and get rid of excess spaces, etc.
No, it is in blocks like address labels. The person who set it up is an (in my opinion) idiot who is no longer with the City. There is no easy way to do it. Once done, it will be there - as has been suggested - for all sorts of uses and easy to update as new business starts/change hands/close.

Probably each "block" is separated by two return characters, with each line in each block separated by a single return character -- do a find and replace all occurrences of two return characters with a some other special character (e.g. •). Then do a find a replace of all occurrences of a single return with a tab character. Then go back and do a find and replace of all occurrences of your special character with a single return character. The resulting text you should be able copy and paste as a whole block right into an Excel spreadsheet, with each block from the original file now on its own line in the spreadsheet, and each line within each block now in its own column.
Once you have all the data in Excel you can add, delete, update, sort, etc... however you want. When you need to create a final directory booklet, you can do a mail merge from the Excel file into a Word document to get whatever formatting you want.
Just an idea....

Probably each "block" is separated by two return characters, with each line in each block separated by a single return character -- do a find and replace all occurrences of two return characters with a some other special character (e.g. •). Then do a find a replace of all occurrences of a single return with a tab character. Then go back and do a find and replace of all occurrences of your special character with a single return character. The resulting text you should be able copy and paste as a whole block right into an Excel spreadsheet, with each block from the original file now on its own line in the spreadsheet, and each line within each block now in its own column.
Once you have all the data in Excel you can add, delete, update, sort, etc... however you want. When you need to create a final directory booklet, you can do a mail merge from the Excel file into a Word document to get whatever formatting you want.
Just an idea.....
Thanks. After I got home from inputting another meter book I started in on it. I am down to Stylists already (I am faster than I thought) and that is going back and adding some categories that we did not have before and looking up some web sites not listed. I quit for now, I know one thing was sold and need to check if there is a new name and I know there will be a new phone number. It is going faster than I expected. Now I have no excuse to procrastinate further on my office. JB & Innkeep - I am making headway!!! I am shocked also!

Side track continuing...
Oh, I agree, I use Excel all the time to manipulate data. I currently have a problem with getting someone to be consistent with their data entry into an Excel spreadsheet that is sent to me. It creates snafus for me when I extract the data into other forms.
Access is a database and gives me a headache sometimes.
It just depends on what tools you are comfortable with using.

Just an idea.....
Thanks. After I got home from inputting another meter book I started in on it. I am down to Stylists already (I am faster than I thought) and that is going back and adding some categories that we did not have before and looking up some web sites not listed. I quit for now, I know one thing was sold and need to check if there is a new name and I know there will be a new phone number. It is going faster than I expected. Now I have no excuse to procrastinate further on my office. JB & Innkeep - I am making headway!!! I am shocked also!
Good luck! Hopefully, you found a format that works for YOU! :)

Just an idea.....
Good luck! Hopefully, you found a format that works for YOU! :)
Thanks. That is the next step. Got the info this morning from the one I knew had changed hands so name/phone changed also. All done with entry. Now comes booklet. A project for tonight. Going back to enter meter books this afternoon. Did 3 of them this morning.

Back