The inevitable decline due to clutter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The inevitable decline due to clutter[/h3]
JB - Reminds me of the old adage about having a neat orderly classroom for less distractions.
I believe the same holds true in all areas of our lives, in everything we encounter. We are battling an ADD society, instead of simplifying we clutter-it-up and hope people can see through it all. The new Google preview will show us that clutter is NOT better, that K.I.S.S. is always the best methodology.

Along those same lines - I heard someone say today that we can never really get caught up...remember when you had a choice of going out to dinner or staying home to watch a tv show. You had to decide - now you don't...you can do both - you can record as many tv shows as you want. Our lives are filled with too much stuff and distractions. The older I get the more I like the K.I.S.S. mentality - I want to get back to basics in the worst way! My stuff is stressing me out!

Along those same lines - I heard someone say today that we can never really get caught up...remember when you had a choice of going out to dinner or staying home to watch a tv show. You had to decide - now you don't...you can do both - you can record as many tv shows as you want. Our lives are filled with too much stuff and distractions. The older I get the more I like the K.I.S.S. mentality - I want to get back to basics in the worst way! My stuff is stressing me out!.
I'm one of those people. You know me- I live in the past! In the past 3 days I have read 3 books. That Cheapskate book I mentioned, The Arsonist's Guide to the Homes of New England Authors and The Bee's Kiss. I have watched about a couple of hours of TV. And that was to see the guys on Top Gear run a Mini down a ski slope and to watch To Kill a Mockingbird. (Love that book & the movie is pretty good but short.)
Get rid of the stuff. Sell it and spend the money on a vacation. I've always hated my stuff but thought having stuff meant I was accomplishing things. Wrong.
I just started a 4th book- This Book Is Overdue- about librarians in the digital age. The author wrote another book that was really good- The Dead Beat- about the people who write obituaries. The long, involved ones, not the fill in the blank kind.
I'd rather read than breathe sometimes.

Along those same lines - I heard someone say today that we can never really get caught up...remember when you had a choice of going out to dinner or staying home to watch a tv show. You had to decide - now you don't...you can do both - you can record as many tv shows as you want. Our lives are filled with too much stuff and distractions. The older I get the more I like the K.I.S.S. mentality - I want to get back to basics in the worst way! My stuff is stressing me out!.
I'm one of those people. You know me- I live in the past! In the past 3 days I have read 3 books. That Cheapskate book I mentioned, The Arsonist's Guide to the Homes of New England Authors and The Bee's Kiss. I have watched about a couple of hours of TV. And that was to see the guys on Top Gear run a Mini down a ski slope and to watch To Kill a Mockingbird. (Love that book & the movie is pretty good but short.)
Get rid of the stuff. Sell it and spend the money on a vacation. I've always hated my stuff but thought having stuff meant I was accomplishing things. Wrong.
I just started a 4th book- This Book Is Overdue- about librarians in the digital age. The author wrote another book that was really good- The Dead Beat- about the people who write obituaries. The long, involved ones, not the fill in the blank kind.
Thank you for the book titles - I am always looking for titles to recommend to my Mother - she'll be all over both of them I am sure!

Alibi Ike said:
Same here. Audiobooks help me with a fix while I'm doing laundry. I don't listen to as many now that I'm not 'mangling' as much but I still spend plenty of time folding and putting away. Currently I'm listening to "The Help" unabridged - it is a great book. I recommend it highly.

Alibi Ike said:
Same here. Audiobooks help me with a fix while I'm doing laundry. I don't listen to as many now that I'm not 'mangling' as much but I still spend plenty of time folding and putting away. Currently I'm listening to "The Help" unabridged - it is a great book. I recommend it highly.
Now that I have my MP3 player, I can download books from the library to listen to.

Alibi Ike said:
Now that I have my MP3 player, I can download books from the library to listen to.
Alibi Ike said:
I can get some from the library, but almost all their new audio books are coming in on the individual players - one little piece that looks like a small ipod with one book on it, and you plug your earbuds right into that. I can't load them onto my ipod, unfortunately. I belong to audible.com - have had my subscription for years, so I get one audiobook a month plus a subscription of some kind.

My kids knew that if they wanted to ask me something - as in can I go somewhere - they had to touch me if I was reading. I was "IN" the book. Failure to touch me to ask was grounds for an automatic - you were told no and the consequenses that entailed. I cannot grant permission if I did not hear you ask.....
This house is filled with books! I have a built-in 5-shelf in my Library/Office that is 2 rows deep on every shelf. DH built floor-to-ceiling shelves in our "living room" (his studio), built a floor-to-ceiling bookcase in our room in the space between the wall and where the fireplace mantle/shelf stick out to the hearth (at the side of it), and we both have books stacked everywhere in the bedroom (have to move the stack to get into the file cabinet by the bed), the Lbrary hearth, chairs, etc, and there are 2 bookcases upstairs of books for guests to "steal". We "can't" move to another house - DH can no longer build book shelves!

FYI this thread is about WEBSITES. Just thought I would mention it to all those who are not reading it, but commenting. HAHA! SIDE TRACKER ROUND UP THE CATS YAHOO!

FYI this thread is about WEBSITES. Just thought I would mention it to all those who are not reading it, but commenting. HAHA! SIDE TRACKER ROUND UP THE CATS YAHOO!.
Joey Bloggs said:
FYI this thread is about WEBSITES. Just thought I would mention it to all those who are not reading it, but commenting. HAHA! SIDE TRACKER ROUND UP THE CATS YAHOO!
Think about it- how can we organize our websites if our lives are so confused? You can certainly see why people want streamlined websites when their desks and their minds are so confused!

FYI this thread is about WEBSITES. Just thought I would mention it to all those who are not reading it, but commenting. HAHA! SIDE TRACKER ROUND UP THE CATS YAHOO!.
My web site may be the ONLY place in my life that is NOT cluttered!
I know of one that is so cluttered I wonder what they are selling - if there is a badge, logo, whatever - it is there. It is so bad I took down the link i had to it as quickly as I gracefully could.

I keep thinking about this. As web browsing got faster, more designers threw more stuff on the pages. Back in the day, you were really pushing the limits with 1-2 thumbnails and some text. Now? Anything goes.
Just check the way back machine to see everyone's old site.

Back