The Innkeepers' Crystal Ball

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
I love it when people ask me to tell them when the leaves will be changing. It's my second favorite question, right behind 'Is it going to be cold/rainy/snowy/foggy/hot that weekend?'
My name is Jeanne, but I don't actually own a crystal ball...

Guests always walk down grab their coffee and ask ME about the weather forecast for the day. Like only I know, as I live here.
I think to myself, "hm, weren't you the one up in your room watching tv while I was down here at 6am cooking your breakfast?"
It is one of those funny slips that people don't think about, or aren't thinking, period. Madame J - your new name. :)

LOL Yah the leaf changing question is the worst....especially when they are asking about something when it is still months away.
I bought a Kodak Photo Frame a few months ago that has built in WiFi and it has a weather feature on it where it will display the weather (current conditions / forecast / current satelite map). I figure if we go back to serving breakfast next year (no breakfast this year due to bwirt) I will set it to rotate through the weather forecast while guests are at the table.

Oh yes...got that every year about this time...when will the leaves be at their peak???
GOT ME!!! I just gave them the standard "usally the 3rd week in Oct" but it just depends on the weather.

I don't think guests asking about the weather forecast for the day is untoward. I print a 7 day forecast each morning and put it in the information binder.
As for the peak for the fall color season, I always say "the middle of October". It seems that no matter how early leaves start to turn, or how slowly they come on, they always peak here right about October 15. But, if a guest has to ask, they're not getting a room. Our fall regulars already have the middle two weekends of October all booked up for it!

We've been spotters for www.foliagenetwork.com for many years now and it is pretty good site for tracking the changes and seeing the change progression across the state.
(oddly enough I just noticed that we're not listed as a spotter at the moment...I must have missed the re-commitment email...hmm something to follow-up on today)
added: Being a spotter is pretty easy and if you are a spotter your B&B does get listed with a link. It is not a great source of traffic, but it contributes.

You should install a webcam so they can follow the leave changing real-time on your website and directly book when they think the leave color is right for them.
wink_smile.gif

Just too bad for them when you are fully booked at this time.

Guests always walk down grab their coffee and ask ME about the weather forecast for the day. Like only I know, as I live here.
I think to myself, "hm, weren't you the one up in your room watching tv while I was down here at 6am cooking your breakfast?"
It is one of those funny slips that people don't think about, or aren't thinking, period. Madame J - your new name. :).
I actually painted a portion of my wall, in my kitchen with chalkboard paint, I write the weather for the next three days there everyday (well, lets be honest, mostly everyday) I never get asked, 'what's the weather.' :)

It is one of those funny slips that people don't think about, or aren't thinking, period. Madame J - your new name. :).
I actually painted a portion of my wall, in my kitchen with chalkboard paint, I write the weather for the next three days there everyday (well, lets be honest, mostly everyday) I never get asked, 'what's the weather.' :)
four at four forty four said:
444 that is cool and you will be glad to hear there is an innkeeper on the forum who has done that in panels on their room doors...I still think that paint is incredible, so many neat uses. I have thought of doing that to something framed outside near the front door but never got around to it.

We've been spotters for www.foliagenetwork.com for many years now and it is pretty good site for tracking the changes and seeing the change progression across the state.
(oddly enough I just noticed that we're not listed as a spotter at the moment...I must have missed the re-commitment email...hmm something to follow-up on today)
added: Being a spotter is pretty easy and if you are a spotter your B&B does get listed with a link. It is not a great source of traffic, but it contributes..
swirt said:
I refer people to that website all the time. I figure they have way more information than I do. Most of those calling live with 75 miles of here; there really isn't that much difference in the weather from where they are.

added: Being a spotter is pretty easy and if you are a spotter your B&B does get listed with a link. It is not a great source of traffic, but it contributes..
swirt said:
I refer people to that website all the time. I figure they have way more information than I do. Most of those calling live with 75 miles of here; there really isn't that much difference in the weather from where they are.
I was a spotter for them too. oops..and I see I am gone as well now. That's ok....guess I didn't respond to something as well:-(

You should install a webcam so they can follow the leave changing real-time on your website and directly book when they think the leave color is right for them.
wink_smile.gif

Just too bad for them when you are fully booked at this time..
That's a good idea. If only we could get a webcam that showed 6 weeks into the future, then people might actually have a shot at picking the right weekend to visit ;)

wink_smile.gif

Just too bad for them when you are fully booked at this time..
That's a good idea. If only we could get a webcam that showed 6 weeks into the future, then people might actually have a shot at picking the right weekend to visit ;)
And we really have enough rooms for all who decide to come THAT WEEK...

When I first saw this topic, I didn't see the word "crystal". I thought you were talking about some kind of gala :)

I have the weather channel on my desktop for actual 'weather'. The leaves are always a crapshoot, so I usually just give a range from first to 3rd week in October. This year may be different because we have had so much rain. They may go longer....is there a science to this?

Back