The Invisible Guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I received another call today from my invisible guest. She extended her reservation for another week. She has yet to arrive.
I knew she was going to be here just some nights but she wanted a whole week - possibly 2 weeks so I gave her the weekly rate telling her up-front the bathroom could possibly be shared and then calling her when the couple booked that it would be shared (figuring she would cancel). Rather than cancel, she booked a second week and told me to charge her card for the first week. It was declined. I figured I would get it when she arrived. She did not. So when she called next, I told her it was declined. SHE figured it out - the card is associated to a different zip code and she gave it to me. Bob's yur uncle - charge completed. Week 2 - still have not seen her. She called today to extend for another week - maybe she will come this week. I am not concerned about charge backs because she had to give me the zip for it to work. No A/C running. No lights or water used..... woohoo. I am truly blessed.

So far so good, as long as she doesn't try to get a chargeback from the cc company later. I just wish people would do things the regular way. When they do unusual stuff, like paying more than required up front, I get suspicious.
Had one cancel late last week for a reservation late next week, saying the weather forecast didn't look good for next week. She's relying on an extended forecast 2 weeks away to make decisions? Sounds odd, especially when the extended forecast for her planned stay was mid to upper 80's and some chance of rain. You're not going to find much better weather than that here in July.
And, she'd paid in full up front, half with CC, half with a check. So wants it all back less the $25 cancellation fee. The check seems OK; deposited it a week ago and so far haven't heard back.
I'll give the check a few more days, just to be sure it's good, then I'll refund the amount charged on the card via Authorize.net and hold the $25 fee out of the refund I send by check on that portion. That way I don't have to worry about some still being on the card that could be chargedback later.
See why I hate it when they don't do things the regular way!

So far so good, as long as she doesn't try to get a chargeback from the cc company later. I just wish people would do things the regular way. When they do unusual stuff, like paying more than required up front, I get suspicious.
Had one cancel late last week for a reservation late next week, saying the weather forecast didn't look good for next week. She's relying on an extended forecast 2 weeks away to make decisions? Sounds odd, especially when the extended forecast for her planned stay was mid to upper 80's and some chance of rain. You're not going to find much better weather than that here in July.
And, she'd paid in full up front, half with CC, half with a check. So wants it all back less the $25 cancellation fee. The check seems OK; deposited it a week ago and so far haven't heard back.
I'll give the check a few more days, just to be sure it's good, then I'll refund the amount charged on the card via Authorize.net and hold the $25 fee out of the refund I send by check on that portion. That way I don't have to worry about some still being on the card that could be chargedback later.
See why I hate it when they don't do things the regular way!.
You stilling taking cheques? People still pay by cheque?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
We take checks. We use checks. We pay all of our bills by check.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
I pay all my bills by check too!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Wow. I have cheque books so old that they still have the 19__ on them.
For the business, I think we use about 10 a year for companies that still aren't electronic.

I take checks and pay by check. The week started on Sunday and I did not charge until Thursday each week. The billing in my records is done in such a way that the rate is billed for Sun/Mon/Tues so if the job ends on Wednesday, goodbye. I am paid. The rest of the week has a zero rate.
I believe it would be very difficult for her to charge back as I had no way to know about the other zip code if she did not give it to me. It is not her current zip - the one on her reservation. I think I am hoping to actually meet her. She has a business so understands the you reserved, you pay.
It is just strange.

I take checks and pay by check. The week started on Sunday and I did not charge until Thursday each week. The billing in my records is done in such a way that the rate is billed for Sun/Mon/Tues so if the job ends on Wednesday, goodbye. I am paid. The rest of the week has a zero rate.
I believe it would be very difficult for her to charge back as I had no way to know about the other zip code if she did not give it to me. It is not her current zip - the one on her reservation. I think I am hoping to actually meet her. She has a business so understands the you reserved, you pay.
It is just strange.
gillumhouse said:
I believe it would be very difficult for her to charge back as I had no way to know about the other zip code if she did not give it to me.
Yes, that should prove it's not a fraudulent charge. But we all know the public have other ways to get their cc company to do a chargeback, even making stuff up to say the innkeeper breached a contract or didn't notify them up front about the cancellation policy. I just don't trust anybody anymore!!

She can certainly try to chargeback if she wants. It's whether or not she would win. As you do not have a signature on any of this the chances of her winning are very good. Who cares if you know the right zip code? You could look it up.

She can certainly try to chargeback if she wants. It's whether or not she would win. As you do not have a signature on any of this the chances of her winning are very good. Who cares if you know the right zip code? You could look it up..
Madeleine said:
She can certainly try to chargeback if she wants. It's whether or not she would win. As you do not have a signature on any of this the chances of her winning are very good. Who cares if you know the right zip code? You could look it up.
The Pittsburgh metro area has way too many zip codes for that.

She can certainly try to chargeback if she wants. It's whether or not she would win. As you do not have a signature on any of this the chances of her winning are very good. Who cares if you know the right zip code? You could look it up..
Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
Sorry, I assumed you had a physical address for the guest but with the wrong zip.

Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
Sorry, I assumed you had a physical address for the guest but with the wrong zip.
I do have a physical address for her - but she moved there about a year ago she says. the card apparently has the old address zip attached to it. The wrong zip code is why it kept being declined. After she gave me the zip code of the card, everything went through perfectly.

Madeleine said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
I do have a physical address for her - but she moved there about a year ago she says. the card apparently has the old address zip attached to it. The wrong zip code is why it kept being declined. After she gave me the zip code of the card, everything went through perfectly.
Oh boy, I hope you're ok. My warning flags are flying high on this one!

I pay all my bills by check also. My bank here has a very cumbersome and antiquated online bill pay system. Can you say "time warp"? I do get free checking through this bank with my dh's direct deposit. So, I am forced to still be low tech with my bill payments. Sigh....
When we move, I already have plans for banking... haha!

Sneaking in this comment here, Arks...
What a wonderful place you have created there! Don't know if I'll ever get your way, but if I do, I will be sure to book a stay with you.

What a wonderful place you have created there! Don't know if I'll ever get your way, but if I do, I will be sure to book a stay with you.
Samster said:
Thanks! Yes, it turned out well. Innkeep seemed to enjoy it, and I've acted on several of her suggestions (for instance, just added hand mirrors to the bathrooms today so people can use them to see the back of their head, and added more shelving in "her" bathroom so people have more room to put out their stuff). Making improvements daily, in fact! Would love to have you visit!

Samster said:
Thanks! Yes, it turned out well. Innkeep seemed to enjoy it, and I've acted on several of her suggestions (for instance, just added hand mirrors to the bathrooms today so people can use them to see the back of their head, and added more shelving in "her" bathroom so people have more room to put out their stuff). Making improvements daily, in fact! Would love to have you visit!
[/quote]
[/quote]
thumbs_up.gif

Back