The Last Cancellation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We just had our last cancellation of the year, for tonight. It is also the last cancellation that goes unpaid. Tomorrow is the first day of our new deposit policy. Hallelujah.

Can you share with us your old policy and now the new one?.
Prior to tomorrow we did not collect a deposit and it's too hard to run the card after the fact. (Along with having to constantly argue with partner who believes every story the guest tells about the hardship involved in keeping their end of the bargain.) Starting tomorrow we collect the deposit and will refund it if the room is rebooked, but not otherwise. Then we already have the money. And we know if the card is good or not. It may mean fewer advance bookings but most people think we've already charged them anyway because they gave us their credit card number.

Can you share with us your old policy and now the new one?.
Prior to tomorrow we did not collect a deposit and it's too hard to run the card after the fact. (Along with having to constantly argue with partner who believes every story the guest tells about the hardship involved in keeping their end of the bargain.) Starting tomorrow we collect the deposit and will refund it if the room is rebooked, but not otherwise. Then we already have the money. And we know if the card is good or not. It may mean fewer advance bookings but most people think we've already charged them anyway because they gave us their credit card number.
thumbs_up.gif
That's exactly how we do it. I really don't believe you'll lose any bookings because of it. We're the only ones in our area that does it that way and it doesn't affect us as all.

You'll never look back. You'll be thanking yourself the next time a cancellation happens. And you'll be amazed how many people, once they realize that deposit isn't coming back into their pocket, will miraculously get well/unkill Grandma and be able to make their reservations after all.

YEAH!!! Time to move on and get it done. Charge those deposits ahead of time. And don't look back :) So where is this stated on your web site. Somehow I am not finding your policies page.

YEAH!!! Time to move on and get it done. Charge those deposits ahead of time. And don't look back :) So where is this stated on your web site. Somehow I am not finding your policies page..
It will be on the policy page later on today. (Slacker! But we don't get a lot of reservations at this time of year.) And on the booking site. And in the confirmation and told to anyone who calls to reserve. Link to policy page is listed 8 times on the rooms page, next to each room's photo.
wink_smile.gif
I don't have a separate tab for it. I may add another couple of links to it randomly scattered on the website.

YEAH!!! Time to move on and get it done. Charge those deposits ahead of time. And don't look back :) So where is this stated on your web site. Somehow I am not finding your policies page..
It will be on the policy page later on today. (Slacker! But we don't get a lot of reservations at this time of year.) And on the booking site. And in the confirmation and told to anyone who calls to reserve. Link to policy page is listed 8 times on the rooms page, next to each room's photo.
wink_smile.gif
I don't have a separate tab for it. I may add another couple of links to it randomly scattered on the website.
OOOPs I see it now..but it was very missable just scanning your page. I would make it a separate link on Navigation , or BOLD or call attention to it some way :)
Be sure to bold the NEW Cancellation/ Taking deposit up front that way they can't say they didn't see it...like me:-( Seeeeee... I don't read either..just skim :-(
But iF I was booking....I would be sure to read everything:)...but that is me.

Question: Does the cc prossing company/bank charge you for a deposit and for a refund? I.e. is it still costing out of pocket to refund someone's deposit when the room rebooks?

Question: Does the cc prossing company/bank charge you for a deposit and for a refund? I.e. is it still costing out of pocket to refund someone's deposit when the room rebooks?.
Ours charges when you run the deposit (and our fee is slightly higher for keyed transactions versus swiped) but they do not charge for a refund. We do charge a $25 cancellation fee to cover the deposit cost should they cancel.

Can someone share the verbage they use for the deposit charge? We are expanding and would like to start charging a deposit here as well. Most of the B&Bs here do, but looking at their websites I can't see where they mention it or how they mention it. I need to take the slow time right now to change my website to reflect the deposit too before we start getting slammed again.
Thanks,
RIki

Can someone share the verbage they use for the deposit charge? We are expanding and would like to start charging a deposit here as well. Most of the B&Bs here do, but looking at their websites I can't see where they mention it or how they mention it. I need to take the slow time right now to change my website to reflect the deposit too before we start getting slammed again.
Thanks,
RIki.
On the policy page:
Deposit of 1 night's stay required at time of booking. Stays of 4 or more nights require a 50% deposit.
On the online reservation system:
If reservation is accepted, your credit card will be charged today for 1 night lodging(stays of 4 or more nights will be charged 50%).

Thanks,
RIki.
On the policy page:
Deposit of 1 night's stay required at time of booking. Stays of 4 or more nights require a 50% deposit.
If reservation is accepted, your credit card will be charged today for 1 night lodging(stays of 4 or more nights will be charged 50%).
Breakfast Diva said:
On the policy page:
thank you! That makes sense, especially mentioning it on more than one page.
I have finally found a couple from B&Bs here to see how they do it. But some have it kind of hidden - you have to go to another page like Amenities and it's on the side. I want it to be seen up front right away.
Best,
ERika

Thanks,
RIki.
On the policy page:
Breakfast Diva said:
On the policy page:
thank you! That makes sense, especially mentioning it on more than one page.
I have finally found a couple from B&Bs here to see how they do it. But some have it kind of hidden - you have to go to another page like Amenities and it's on the side. I want it to be seen up front right away.
Best,
ERika
When I make a phone reservation, I always tell them that when I hang up, I will charge their deposit on their card and then send them an e-mail confirmation. You'll be amazed how many people will say "oh, you're going to charge my card today?" and sometimes they will ask if I can wait until payday. If it's a reservation months in advance, I'll wait, otherwise forget it...they don't have a reservation.
Good luck! You won't regret it!

Back