The last innkeeper in the woods...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
That would be me.
I bought it, yes I finally succumbed and bought it.
No not the farm, but a Keurig individ coffee machine. For every negative reason to NOT have one there has been a positive reason TO HAVE ONE! I just wanted ot make it one cup size, put it in and go, not electronic with gadgets and confusion. Maybe I only get the "simple minded" guests, but have to keep it simple.
As I glanced at the plethora of brands from donut shop to green mountain to all the many others...I decided I would ask you all what you find guests enjoy the most? I will be purchasing at our local grocery store, since they seem to have them in stock full time now.
Our guests today will be the first, once I set it up. I have a sample kit of coffees for today.

We buy whatever is the best price. Everyone finds something they like in the bowl. We especially use it when we have just ONE decaf coffee drinker for breakfast that usually only drinks ONE cup of coffee. Love it!
Riki

We buy whatever is the best price. Everyone finds something they like in the bowl. We especially use it when we have just ONE decaf coffee drinker for breakfast that usually only drinks ONE cup of coffee. Love it!
Riki.
We have them in all our Suites. We always put in regular coffee, decaf coffee, tea & decaf tea as well as different flavour Moo Cows.
We usually get more coffee than tea drinkers. To make sure they can do their own coffee, we have photocopied the instructions & made an instruction sheet with pics & placed them next to the Kerig Coffee Maker.
If you prefer to use your own coffee instead of buying pods, you can do so using the little pod style wire mesh baskets sold in WalMart & elsewhere.

DH walked in and said "What is this! I thought we weren't going to cave..."
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

haha
Yes, I know...it is an amenity, I realize that. The horror stories of the couple using 18 pods in one day freaked me out. And people not being able to use them, but many people have them at home now, so it is okay. Right? They are more affordable now, but I am only putting a handful out at a time in a basket. I decided against the fancy schmancy turn table of choices.

When our Brit went back to England, she bought a Keurig for City Hall. It IS really nice. I recently went online to A-zon and bought an assortment for the office of all sorts. The City Manager and I prefer the Creme Caramel so i bought a box of those too. Cr a zy C up s coffee only 70 ct sampler was $36..48 plus s/h and a box of 24 cafe caramel for Deb & me was $19.99 = $66.67 for everything.

Green mountain French roast. Breakfast blend. Italian roast. Decaf French roast.
And we get Tully's to support the local guy who bought the company. Dr McDreamy.
So we have a dark roast, a lighter option and the breakfast blend.
Green mountain i's buying up a lot of the smaller companies and we can no longer find a lot of the blends we liked.

DH walked in and said "What is this! I thought we weren't going to cave..."
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

haha
Yes, I know...it is an amenity, I realize that. The horror stories of the couple using 18 pods in one day freaked me out. And people not being able to use them, but many people have them at home now, so it is okay. Right? They are more affordable now, but I am only putting a handful out at a time in a basket. I decided against the fancy schmancy turn table of choices..
We have the fancy schmancy turn table. Even with 17 guests last night only 3 pods were used last night.
Decaf. At night. Decaf. Geezers.
Don't get hot cocoa, it clogs the machine.
Turn table holds 36 pods.
If you have a wb mason supply the pods are cheap. Comparatively speaking.

BTW - you are not the last as I have yet to get one. Perhaps I will investigate those "baskets" mentioned. It will beat the heck out of getting up at 5 AM to make coffee for the long-terms. Hmmmmm!

I have never used one since I don't drink coffee. Do they taste good? I was just looking at their website and it shows many different flavors like Hot Apple Cider, Hot Chocolate and Tea. Anyone try those? I would be willing to try it just for the alternatives to coffee.

We stock decaf and flavoured. We use reusable for the regular strong coffee, though we brew a pot of strong coffee.
Around here, it sits idle most of the time. The pods that did move best were Van Houtte Midnight Express, the Green Mountain Dark Magic, Timothy's Midnight Magic, Parisian Nights, Rainforest Espresso and Sugar Maple. Newman's Own Special Blend Decaf. Gloria Jean's French Vanilla and Butter Toffee.
I can tell you that anything with chocolate never moved. Same with anything fruity, like raspberry or blueberry. We stock a medium and a dark extra bold in decaf. And the only flavoured decaf we ever kept was vanilla. And it all moved very slowly around here. We found the pods, even on the smallest cup to be quite weak.

We stock decaf and flavoured. We use reusable for the regular strong coffee, though we brew a pot of strong coffee.
Around here, it sits idle most of the time. The pods that did move best were Van Houtte Midnight Express, the Green Mountain Dark Magic, Timothy's Midnight Magic, Parisian Nights, Rainforest Espresso and Sugar Maple. Newman's Own Special Blend Decaf. Gloria Jean's French Vanilla and Butter Toffee.
I can tell you that anything with chocolate never moved. Same with anything fruity, like raspberry or blueberry. We stock a medium and a dark extra bold in decaf. And the only flavoured decaf we ever kept was vanilla. And it all moved very slowly around here. We found the pods, even on the smallest cup to be quite weak..
I just tired decaf by St ar bu cks . WOW! It really tastes like coffee. The first decaf I have found tastes so good they sell a few different kinds too. So when this one is done I am sure going to try another one of theres. I am not a decaf person I like mine good and strong. Most people from the Vancouver area like strong coffee. We buy an assortments of different coffees and teas. I also provide press coffee if they wish to have their coffee that way.
We tired the ice tea ones too. They were used a fair amount in Aug. when it was good and hot out. With our tea well let just say thanks to a great gal here we are also providing loose tea . They can use tea maker , it works great!!

I can tell you that anything with chocolate never moved. Same with anything fruity, like raspberry or blueberry. We stock a medium and a dark extra bold in decaf. And the only flavoured decaf we ever kept was vanilla. And it all moved very slowly around here. We found the pods, even on the smallest cup to be quite weak..
That is what DH said "Too weak" but for those who want to get a cup at 6am and sit on the porch, I think it will be okay. The real coffee is out at the regular appointed time.
So do you keep mini moos as well near the machine or just the flavored coffee that have the creamer in them?

i dogsat for my son and his wife last week ... they went to aruba ... and the only coffee making option was a keurig. i warned them i'd use up all their coffee but she works for a supply house, gets it by the CARTON and always stocks up when there is a promotion running. i noticed she had different kinds ... green mountain, newman's own, emeril BAM big easy bold, etc. thank goodness, because making individual coffees i saw how much coffee i drink! he doesn't drink coffee. they had a few tea pods but i went for the tea kettle.
i am crazy for hazelnut and used the green mountain
the only thing i had to remember was to refill the reservoir. so you need a water supply nearby. i didn't find the coffee weak at all.

I have never used one since I don't drink coffee. Do they taste good? I was just looking at their website and it shows many different flavors like Hot Apple Cider, Hot Chocolate and Tea. Anyone try those? I would be willing to try it just for the alternatives to coffee..
scrambled_eggs said:
I have never used one since I don't drink coffee. Do they taste good? I was just looking at their website and it shows many different flavors like Hot Apple Cider, Hot Chocolate and Tea. Anyone try those? I would be willing to try it just for the alternatives to coffee.
Don't get the hot cocoa, it clogs the machine. I haven't tried the other things. I don't drink coffee, either but I also don't stock tea pods. I have 20 different kinds of tea bags available. The pods make me crazy, throwing all that plastic out.

That is what DH said "Too weak" but for those who want to get a cup at 6am and sit on the porch, I think it will be okay. The real coffee is out at the regular appointed time.
So do you keep mini moos as well near the machine or just the flavored coffee that have the creamer in them?
I keep milk in the fridge for the guests. But, if I didn't have that I would have the mini moos, yes.
If DH is finding the coffee from the machine too weak, dial back on the water and get the stronger coffees. Italian roast or espresso.

Joey Bloggs said:
I haven't chimed in here because I don't have a K machine, but I do have a different brand with different type of packets. You will love the feeling that you no longer have to worry about those early rising people! Just make sure every night you fill the reservoir up with water.
I have a small bowl on the table that has different flavors of creamer and mini-moos. The mini-moos and vanilla creamer seem to be the most popular.
Our most popular coffees seem to be the very strong, decaf and vanilla.

Tully's any flavor 18 (ie breakfast or Italian roast etc) $10.98 at stuffmart. How does that compare to you all? It is $12.98 for Starbucks Pike Place blend 14 pods.
I decided on the Tully's which was a Seattle brand who came up against Starbucks in the coffee scene. There was a Tully's out in the middle of nowhere where we lived that bought out a local coffee house. We went there every Sunday afternoon for years, where we met up with a gaggle of friends, prior to kids and then with kids. It was part of our PacNorthWET lifestyle. After diving the Puget Sound "Tully's" after Costco "Tully's" it was always there.
heart.gif

Tully's any flavor 18 (ie breakfast or Italian roast etc) $10.98 at stuffmart. How does that compare to you all? It is $12.98 for Starbucks Pike Place blend 14 pods.
I decided on the Tully's which was a Seattle brand who came up against Starbucks in the coffee scene. There was a Tully's out in the middle of nowhere where we lived that bought out a local coffee house. We went there every Sunday afternoon for years, where we met up with a gaggle of friends, prior to kids and then with kids. It was part of our PacNorthWET lifestyle. After diving the Puget Sound "Tully's" after Costco "Tully's" it was always there.
heart.gif
It's about the same price here thru the catalog. I get it dropped at the door the next day, which I just LOVE!

I sashayed (haha) into a Lexus dealership last year and THEY have the highbrow model with waterline hookup. Put in your pod, press the button, it closes the hatches, pours the coffee, and disposes of the pod all by itself. I looked for the "add cream and sugar" button....but ....not yet. They'll probably have a voice activated one some day. Just say "Bolivian Dark Roast please"....and whirrrrrrrr......it selects the pod, brews, spits, dumps the pod, and a chrome-plated hand elevates it into my palm. You watching, George Jetson????

My favorite: Jamacian Me Crazy. When we were in MA, there were different brands than what I can get here in the midwest. Most notably was New England Coffee. Can't get that around here.

Back