The Lesson from Stepford

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Here I am...another Friday night in Stepford.
The guests roll in with their usual grimace and furrowed brow, with their aches and pains, raw nerves, dehydration, frustration, hunger pangs and GPS overload and I am here to greet them with a smile and a firm handshake. As I open the door, I welcome them to the inn.
To the disbelief of the aspirings of late, I actually have not had my feet up all day sucking down bon bons or lemonade on the porch. I was up at 6am for a 7am breakfast today. The inn is check-in ready...the flowers are in the rooms, the ice is in the bucket, the sodas are chilled, the brownies plated...Welcome, come on Inn! I say as I hold the door for them.
Is it really THAT hard to say "Thank you" to utter a small word of "This is nice, thank you" Is it impossible to upturn even a partial corner of your mouth? Not a smile, even a wee smirk would be accepted.
Well they are all in, what will I find tomorrow when I bring the coffee out? Will they have been replaced with happy-go-lucky-guests? Will I recognize who went with who and which room is which?
The lesson from Stepford for me is, maybe we should stop along the way, stretch our legs, take a breather, so when we arrive we are not so mean. I am always thankful for the metamorphoses that takes place in our guests, I just wish it could happen in the car on the way here (instead of at THE PLAZA, ie my inn)... ugh
Why do we feel it is okay to be grouchy and ugly to other people, people we do not know, people who are NICE TO US! People who offer us homemade desserts and cold refreshing drinks? WHY?!

If someone in my family ever acted this way to someone nice like me I would slap them upside the head. There I said it. I can't help how other people are raised, but as for me and my house we will be nice and friendly and smile BACK at someone who smiles at us. Its called common courtesy.
Done with perky for the night, as Mortie says.
sad_smile.gif
I should ban perky from now on...no more missus nice guy.

I don't get these people. (Not that I don't understand them, they don't come here.) You know I don't get them because I hit them the minute they walk in the door with, 'Hi, I'm Morticia! Let's go over your registration form and then I'll show you around.' Payment ensues, small talk ensues, tour ensues. The only thing I'll leave out is small talk.
If I let them 'get away' before all of that ensues they are ringing the bell at all hours because they can't get in the house, they are mad they didn't know where to find ice, they didn't know they could help themselves to tea and coffee, etc. Only if I know you and know you know the house will I let you get away without registering first.
They can smile or not. Be grumpy or not. Because it's the rare few that even notice where they are when they walk in the door. (I know this is true because we are standing in the dining room and they ask where they're supposed to go in the morning for breakfast!)
I look at it this way (now, not years ago)- I have prepared as lovely a stay for them as I can. THEY choose to enjoy it or not.
I do sympathize, tho, because we DO put ourselves out and it's not nice to be treated like the doorpost when they come in. I don't just work here, I live here. And, yes, they should pee before they arrive, stretch a little and put a smile on. It couldn't hurt to be nice to the person making your breakfast!

I get the whole tired thing, I am tired. If I didn't have the super nice genuine couple ahead of them I might think everyone was this way! They were road weary and delightful! They will be even better tomorrow. :)
There is a reason there was a stepford, that is all I'ma sayin'...
Let's be careful so we are not sent off there too. Although right now it might be a nice little vacation.

I don't get these people. (Not that I don't understand them, they don't come here.) You know I don't get them because I hit them the minute they walk in the door with, 'Hi, I'm Morticia! Let's go over your registration form and then I'll show you around.' Payment ensues, small talk ensues, tour ensues. The only thing I'll leave out is small talk.
If I let them 'get away' before all of that ensues they are ringing the bell at all hours because they can't get in the house, they are mad they didn't know where to find ice, they didn't know they could help themselves to tea and coffee, etc. Only if I know you and know you know the house will I let you get away without registering first.
They can smile or not. Be grumpy or not. Because it's the rare few that even notice where they are when they walk in the door. (I know this is true because we are standing in the dining room and they ask where they're supposed to go in the morning for breakfast!)
I look at it this way (now, not years ago)- I have prepared as lovely a stay for them as I can. THEY choose to enjoy it or not.
I do sympathize, tho, because we DO put ourselves out and it's not nice to be treated like the doorpost when they come in. I don't just work here, I live here. And, yes, they should pee before they arrive, stretch a little and put a smile on. It couldn't hurt to be nice to the person making your breakfast!.
Morticia said:
It couldn't hurt to be nice to the person making your breakfast!
Truer words were never said.

Agreed JB. For all we do to prepare for them a little smile would be nice. You described a couple that was here this past week...hummm, well maybe? Said they were in bad traffic all the way due to heavy construction. They asked if they were going to be in bad construction all the way to their next stop. (Well let me get my eagleeye focused on that for ya! They both were transformed the next morning at breakfast (well after she cleaned her plate) a nice satisfied smile...
regular_smile.gif

We just must focus on the ones that come in all bubbly and excided from the moment they hit the door to make us feel good during those times. We also do feel good knowing those that came in all sour, were sweetened by our hard work - beautiful and relaxing rooms, lovely yards and wonderful homemade breakfasts and are leaving with the smiles that were unatainable on arrival - a job well done.
wink_smile.gif

I have done this almsot 17 yr and decided about 16 yr ago to not react to how people behave when they check in, most have driven 9hr and are tired and next day at brekkie hey are all happy and when they leave they all want to hug you so we did something right and I still enjoy it after 16 yr but i do get tired, who wouldnt, I do get fed up, but theres a connection.Ii treat each guests as though they have a story and I am going to learn something about life and it makes it easier on me.I take winters off and live in the south where its hot. I worked full house almsot 100% ocupancy from May till end of Sept so can afford to do that.

UPDATE:
First off, they were here for a graduation. First red flag.
I believe this was the woman a month ago who drilled me over the phone and was going to send someone over to inspect the place to make sure it met her needs.
I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say at 1130 LATE last night they left. We were up all night with this one. They were completely miserable and threatening to us. AT one point we both went to their room and stated it would be better if they left.
I cannot emphasize the relief.
I cannot emphasize how lovely the other rooms are, how happy to be here, loving every minute. This morning, breakfast will be lovely, the way it should be.

UPDATE:
I believe this was the woman a month ago who drilled me over the phone and was going to send someone over to inspect the place to make sure it met her needs.
I won't go into detail, but suffice it to say at 1130 LATE last night they left. We were up all night with this one. They were completely miserable and threatening to us. AT one point we both went to their room and stated it would be better if they left.
I cannot emphasize how lovely the other rooms are, how happy to be here, loving every minute. This morning, breakfast will be lovely, the way it should be..
Sorry to hear they turned out as badly as they started...at least they're gone. Let them rain somewhere else.

Quote for the day:
[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']"Something deep in my character allows me to take the hits and get on with trying to win." - Lionel Messi[/FONT]

Quote for the day:
[FONT= 'Lucida Grande']"Something deep in my character allows me to take the hits and get on with trying to win." - Lionel Messi[/FONT].
That's a good one for today.
So so so glad those folks are outta there. They could have spread a lot of misery around over the next 2 days...

UPDATE:
I cannot emphasize how lovely the other rooms are, how happy to be here, loving every minute. This morning, breakfast will be lovely, the way it should be..
threatening to us.
Oh no....what happened? Glad you told them to hit the road...you don't need that kind of grief. Good for you!

Congrats on tossing the ungrateful sourpusses. They do not deserve people as nice as you!

UPDATE:
People like that are never happy they derive happyness from sucking the happyness out of people and places glad you are shot of them or they will spread their poop to all your other guests. Sad they booked with you when they are like that I am tempted to say whatever they want we can't do in the hope they just go away.

UPDATE:
Good for you to be rid of those who do not know a good thing when they see it.
Hope they are quickly forgotten and you will be able to enjoy the guests that are full of smiles and gratitude.

What a difference a day makes
A new couple in the same room the difficult guests were in. Happy to be here, thank you this is lovely, asking about dinner and visiting the lake, these guests have been to the plaza...these are the guests I like! Ahhhhh

People like that just like to be miserable...sorry for them. Good that you got rid of them...bad karma is bad karma for everyone.
I like the quote...:)

Back