The Lord Giveth - and the Lord Taketh Away!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I was blessed with at 2-night all tree rooms reservation coming in today. Woohoo!
Then today, the Lord taketh away. RAIN!!!!! I have a leak somewhere that is coming in - sometimes - just inside the door of my now budget room. At first I thought I had dodged the bullet, that this ould be one of the rains that did not leak. Afraid not. I have the plastic down with the towels over it now but the rain shows no sign of stopping. It is a steady drip in one place, not all over.
I know there are no rooms anywhere else and only the son's room is going to be affected. I am going to comp that room for both nights and hope that will be enough to take care of the problem for them. I hope taking $200 off their bill will suffice. Pray for me that it does. I do not know what else I can do until I can get a roofer in. I needed the money, but I guess not enough. SIGH!!!
DH's latest new doctor gave him some info - according to this doc, one of the meds masks a reading for something and THIS doc automatically doubles the readings of the previous blood test results. Naturally THIS had DH in a dither - so I am trying to NOT tell him about the roof until after this Doc does HIS blood test - in January with the appt with doc in Feb. I will do what I have to do, and right now I hope I can keep DH untroubled by anything else.

Oh noooo! this is why i am saving every penny for next year as I don't think our roof is going to make it through another year. I am paranoid about it every time there is heavy rain or wind! fingers crossed it isn't too expensive.

We have just been through 2 years of roof problems with leaks into dining room and living room. After 3 rubber roof installations and rebuilding a corner of the old house we have FiNALLY managed to stay dry in a windy rain.
In the meantime we have learned a few lessons. If you can not afford to replace a roof you can slap on a product called "Through the Roof" a clear sealant by Sashco...works like a charm to seal a large area of the roof until you can repair it and it is colorless so it doesn't look awful in the interim. You can buy the stuff on-line at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=through+the+roof&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4644435747&ref=pd_sl_2785ze6dql_b
But we order it from our local hardware store.
Good luck with the leak!

We have just been through 2 years of roof problems with leaks into dining room and living room. After 3 rubber roof installations and rebuilding a corner of the old house we have FiNALLY managed to stay dry in a windy rain.
In the meantime we have learned a few lessons. If you can not afford to replace a roof you can slap on a product called "Through the Roof" a clear sealant by Sashco...works like a charm to seal a large area of the roof until you can repair it and it is colorless so it doesn't look awful in the interim. You can buy the stuff on-line at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=through+the+roof&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4644435747&ref=pd_sl_2785ze6dql_b
Good luck with the leak!.
Thanks for the info, however this is a 2-story and there is no way I can get up there. DH is doing good to walk. I have a call in to the roofer I found. When I find out if he can come over while everything is wet, I will tell DH about the problem.
We have a 1989 roof and had a wind storm bad enough a year ago (maybe a bit longer) that ripped the roof off the school gym and blew down the greenhouse at the school. I never thought about it having caused damage here but perhaps.... Anyway, I plan to go with a tin roof. They told me they put down strips on the current roof for breatabilty and then put the tin over that. The tin has a 40 warranty - more than I will need - and is cheaper because they do not have the labor of removing shingles, the dumpster, and tipping fees plus the labor of outting shingles on.
Guests are here and they seemed OK with my problem as I informed them there is no charge for the third room. Not leaking at the moment, but since I cannot be sure it will not in the night, etc, I showed their son who will be in that room how it needs to be during the night. As I told them, I cannot control the rain and a house just short of being 100 years old has its problems.

Thanks for the info, however this is a 2-story and there is no way I can get up there. DH is doing good to walk. I have a call in to the roofer I found. When I find out if he can come over while everything is wet, I will tell DH about the problem.
We have a 1989 roof and had a wind storm bad enough a year ago (maybe a bit longer) that ripped the roof off the school gym and blew down the greenhouse at the school. I never thought about it having caused damage here but perhaps.... Anyway, I plan to go with a tin roof. They told me they put down strips on the current roof for breatabilty and then put the tin over that. The tin has a 40 warranty - more than I will need - and is cheaper because they do not have the labor of removing shingles, the dumpster, and tipping fees plus the labor of outting shingles on.
Guests are here and they seemed OK with my problem as I informed them there is no charge for the third room. Not leaking at the moment, but since I cannot be sure it will not in the night, etc, I showed their son who will be in that room how it needs to be during the night. As I told them, I cannot control the rain and a house just short of being 100 years old has its problems.
Sounds like a plan. But really, if the roofer can not do the work immediately and the problem is localized, ask him to throw a coat of the stuff I mentioned on until he can get to it. It saved our bacon for sure for several months until the weather improved and the roof could be replaced.

Sounds like a plan. But really, if the roofer can not do the work immediately and the problem is localized, ask him to throw a coat of the stuff I mentioned on until he can get to it. It saved our bacon for sure for several months until the weather improved and the roof could be replaced.
Thanks. IF I can get him to call me and IF he can figure out where it is, that is exactly what I am going to ask him to do.
I feel sorry for the lady in the room above me, I can hear snoring down here!

I also have a mainia about roofs as when I was little we had a bad storm which pulled a lot of tiles off the roof and my mum made me crawl in the tight places in the loft space to put out buckets (very dickensian) and we couldn't get a roofer out for 2 weeks cos everyone was in the same boat!

Back