The Meltdown

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
This is very personal.
In all other jobs we had, we had jobs, we did this we did that. This is the only career that calls for a major meltdown around this time every year. This is the 5th meltdown for us.
We are so tired, we have had no privacy and space and the guests come first all the time, the phone, the check ins, the honey-do list, there is no time for us. Even when we make time it never seems to be just for us.
This is a warning. You who have been there know what I mean, and those who are not yet there - beware. It takes its toll this business. People pass it off and say "We have had our own business before" or we have worked out of our home before. This is NOT THE SAME THING. Not the same as any of those.
I think there is a point when your politeness and always being "on" suddenly crashes and blows up.
Of course it gets aimed at those we love and that is simply wrong. But that is what we do.
I need to apologise to my entire family. Even tho I still feel like tearing someone's head off and crying at the same time. It is a very difficult situation. You MUST mark days off, you MUST use them on other than laundry and cleaning and maintenance. YOU MUST!

I think I will print this out and put it on my fridge to remind me, thank you!
You forgot to mention that we need to do this so we don't end up on the 5:00 news and it it won't be for our "Grand opening" it will be for our "Grand Exit! "
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

And now, I will go bite someone's head off, since I can't yell at the guests for showing up an hour early!

Here...hub's daughter was here yesterday. They talk about taking over for us when we 'retire'. I told her, 'Do you know what your father & I have said to each other in the past 4 weeks? This about sums is up..."where's this?" "dunno, you had it last." And most of the time we were snarling when we said it or talking thru gritted teeth.'
You're right. No one has any idea what hell this can be in season.
We talk in all capitals at this time of year. The only pleasant conversation we have is with guests. We speak slowly and deliberately to each other, like the other person's IQ has dropped 100 points in the past 4 weeks. What is bad in a relationship gets much, much worse and what's good disappears.
Thank goodness we like each other, because love can't stand up to the strain.
All that to say, 'You're not alone. I can sympathize deeply.'

Yep, short fuses when all the positive energy is going to the paying guests. Hard to hug someone when you really want to say, "off with their head!".
Hang in there....you'll take the necessary steps to make it right.
heart.gif

Amen to that, Junie. Just a few weeks ago, I found myself sitting outside on a dock box from 3AM to 5AM just wanting to walk away.

Thank you sooo much for posting this.
We don't even have any guests. We're in a lull for about a week... first real break in two month where we can walk around in pj's. Dh is in a total snit tonight, and I'm hurt and upset.
We're in our last phase of construction, and somehow it's pushed him over the edge. We're so close to being done, couldn't he just keep it together for one more week? And of course the contractor can't come tomorrow...
Tomorrow dh will apologize and we'll be fine again, but in the meantime it's rough around here, too.
=(
Kk.

We don't even have any guests. We're in a lull for about a week... first real break in two month where we can walk around in pj's. Dh is in a total snit tonight, and I'm hurt and upset.
We're in our last phase of construction, and somehow it's pushed him over the edge. We're so close to being done, couldn't he just keep it together for one more week? And of course the contractor can't come tomorrow...
Tomorrow dh will apologize and we'll be fine again, but in the meantime it's rough around here, too.
=(
Kk..
Last phase of construction??
That would be our bedroom and den/office...still not finished. It is an ongoing bone of contention as I clean something up & start to work on the project and then more stuff comes in there. I am never able to decrapify to get the project done. sigh....
All I can say is thank goodness we have a good sense of humor on our side
wink_smile.gif

=(
Kk..
That would be our bedroom and den/office...still not finished. It is an ongoing bone of contention as I clean something up & start to work on the project and then more stuff comes in there. I am never able to decrapify to get the project done. sigh....
wink_smile.gif

Well, technically we're not touching our or the boy's bedrooms, although we did add a door between them and the trim needs painted, as well as some kind of threshhold put in between the rooms. Someday I'll have to paint them and deal with them, but not anytime soon. And there will always be the long, "someday-I-want-to-get-to-it list of things to install or paint or fix...
This phase is to convert my laundry/junk room into a laundry/kitchenette. The contractor was due yesterday, now coming Wednesday with new cabinets and countertop. Across from my washer and dryer I'm having a custom built laundry shelf installed with a custom ironing board... it's supposed to be about 48" wide and 22" deep, and will pull out from the shelf like a drawer. To the left of that runs a countertop with space for stools, then two base cabinets in the corner. Above the entire countertop will be more cabinets. Continuing to the left on the next wall there is an huge and ancient sink, beyond which is space for a fridge (not yet acquired). Once it's done we'll have everything down there but stove and oven, which won't really be needed. We already have acquired plenty of other appliances to use instead: microwave, popcorn popper, blender, toaster oven, etc., etc. Dh's coffee area will be there... no more worrying that the grinder will wake people, and the mess will be contained (maybe). The boys will be able to make a PB&J sandwich without having to come up and see people. And all of the clutter that tends to creep out in the upstairs kitchen will be given a designated spot down there (I hope!).
It's OK with me that the contractor's running late... today I finished scraping (hammering and chiseling) loose paint and mortar, and washing the walls with bleach. I have some hydro-something cement to fill the holes I found under the paint, then I need to paint about 2/3 of the room. If he was coming tomorrow I'd be doing that tonight instead of sitting in bed on the forum next to dh who is laughing out loud as he reads The Bachelor Brothers Bed and Breakfast. (We've made up already!)
All the junk that was in the laundry room is now in the family room, "office" (that is, the room that someday will resemble an office instead of a landfill), dining room, and garage. Dh had bad day at the factory, then came home to find out we have overdue videos to take back to the library that he couldn't find them in the mess. Poor guy! It just pushed him right over the edge. Not fun while it lasted, but all better now.
=)
Kk.

=(
Kk..
wink_smile.gif

Well, technically we're not touching our or the boy's bedrooms, although we did add a door between them and the trim needs painted, as well as some kind of threshhold put in between the rooms. Someday I'll have to paint them and deal with them, but not anytime soon. And there will always be the long, "someday-I-want-to-get-to-it list of things to install or paint or fix...
This phase is to convert my laundry/junk room into a laundry/kitchenette. The contractor was due yesterday, now coming Wednesday with new cabinets and countertop. Across from my washer and dryer I'm having a custom built laundry shelf installed with a custom ironing board... it's supposed to be about 48" wide and 22" deep, and will pull out from the shelf like a drawer. To the left of that runs a countertop with space for stools, then two base cabinets in the corner. Above the entire countertop will be more cabinets. Continuing to the left on the next wall there is an huge and ancient sink, beyond which is space for a fridge (not yet acquired). Once it's done we'll have everything down there but stove and oven, which won't really be needed. We already have acquired plenty of other appliances to use instead: microwave, popcorn popper, blender, toaster oven, etc., etc. Dh's coffee area will be there... no more worrying that the grinder will wake people, and the mess will be contained (maybe). The boys will be able to make a PB&J sandwich without having to come up and see people. And all of the clutter that tends to creep out in the upstairs kitchen will be given a designated spot down there (I hope!).
It's OK with me that the contractor's running late... today I finished scraping (hammering and chiseling) loose paint and mortar, and washing the walls with bleach. I have some hydro-something cement to fill the holes I found under the paint, then I need to paint about 2/3 of the room. If he was coming tomorrow I'd be doing that tonight instead of sitting in bed on the forum next to dh who is laughing out loud as he reads The Bachelor Brothers Bed and Breakfast. (We've made up already!)
All the junk that was in the laundry room is now in the family room, "office" (that is, the room that someday will resemble an office instead of a landfill), dining room, and garage. Dh had bad day at the factory, then came home to find out we have overdue videos to take back to the library that he couldn't find them in the mess. Poor guy! It just pushed him right over the edge. Not fun while it lasted, but all better now.
=)
Kk.
We survived here for several months when dh was here on his own & then before the stove was delivered with a microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker, and a clamshell grill :) I think the grill was the most useful of the 3 items :) I could really cook a lot of things on that! We were thinking that we'd have to find the Coleman stove in the camping gear but never did.
That sounds like a pretty big project you've got going there. That den/office is mostly decrapifying & organizing. Still have to paint the bedroom & our bathroom though and decrapify and organize in there too. Although there is that big hole in the drywall where there should be a fireplace & I had to rescue the dog when he fell down from the attic......

=(
Kk..
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
We survived here for several months when dh was here on his own & then before the stove was delivered with a microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker, and a clamshell grill :) I think the grill was the most useful of the 3 items :) I could really cook a lot of things on that! We were thinking that we'd have to find the Coleman stove in the camping gear but never did.
That sounds like a pretty big project you've got going there. That den/office is mostly decrapifying & organizing. Still have to paint the bedroom & our bathroom though and decrapify and organize in there too. Although there is that big hole in the drywall where there should be a fireplace & I had to rescue the dog when he fell down from the attic......
Samster said:
That sounds like a pretty big project you've got going there.
Yeah, that's why it counts as last phase of construction... and first phase of decrapifying! Once that room's in order I'll be decrapifying the office/landfill, the furnace/storage room (there's a furnace in there somewhere!), our bedroom (home to all the B&B crap that didn't make it to the basement), and the attic (needs done before the boys grow into the next size since that's where I keep their hand-me-downs in tubs), as well as generally re-organizing the pantry, hall closet, box room (storage area on the staircase), and boys room.
Samster said:
Still have to paint the bedroom & our bathroom though and decrapify and organize in there too. Although there is that big hole in the drywall where there should be a fireplace & I had to rescue the dog when he fell down from the attic......
Too funny! (Except the actual repair part... which is not so funny.)
=)
Kk.

I hear you sister!!! We were fortunate to have our own private space and to callt he shots when we wanted guests and when we did not..but it still happens and that is exactly why I have retired. I don't miss it in the least.

=(
Kk..
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
Samster said:
Yeah, that's why it counts as last phase of construction... and first phase of decrapifying! Once that room's in order I'll be decrapifying the office/landfill, the furnace/storage room (there's a furnace in there somewhere!), our bedroom (home to all the B&B crap that didn't make it to the basement), and the attic (needs done before the boys grow into the next size since that's where I keep their hand-me-downs in tubs), as well as generally re-organizing the pantry, hall closet, box room (storage area on the staircase), and boys room.
Samster said:
Still have to paint the bedroom & our bathroom though and decrapify and organize in there too. Although there is that big hole in the drywall where there should be a fireplace & I had to rescue the dog when he fell down from the attic......
=)
Kk.
The story is funny now but it was not so funny when I was in hysterics running around the house looking for the dog!! I had left the door to the small attic above our bedroom in the back of the house (the door is actually located in our guest room upstairs on the back of the house) to go get something & the dog wandered in there. He took a wrong step somehow near the fireplace vent where it was cut through the attic floor and apparently slid down it and the firebox and landed on the first floor. A fall of over 12 feet!! Remarkably, he was unharmed after sliding down all that sharp metal. He just sat down there in the wall and didn't make a sound. After realizing that I was missing one dog out of the 2, I found him by shining a flashlight from up above. Then, I had to cut out the 2 layers of sheetrock and pull it aside to get him out. He ran out in a flash! Took him to the vet to have him checked out since there was a little bit of blood but he only cut his lip. This is a 27 lb Cocker Spaniel....who would probably be just as curious a second time, given the chance.
Anyhoo...we were going to pull off the mantle that's there & repair the wall anyway (it's a zero clearance gas fireplace on the other side in the den, so non-functional on the bedroom side). The plan was to just have a solid wall for either bookcases or a piece of furniture.
It's on the list......the still loooooooooooooooooooong list
teeth_smile.gif
The list that I avoid talking about with my dh as every time I do it develops into a major discussion and meltdown!

=(
Kk..
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
Samster said:
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
The story is funny now but it was not so funny when I was in hysterics running around the house looking for the dog!! I had left the door to the small attic above our bedroom in the back of the house (the door is actually located in our guest room upstairs on the back of the house) to go get something & the dog wandered in there. He took a wrong step somehow near the fireplace vent where it was cut through the attic floor and apparently slid down it and the firebox and landed on the first floor. A fall of over 12 feet!! Remarkably, he was unharmed after sliding down all that sharp metal. He just sat down there in the wall and didn't make a sound. After realizing that I was missing one dog out of the 2, I found him by shining a flashlight from up above. Then, I had to cut out the 2 layers of sheetrock and pull it aside to get him out. He ran out in a flash! Took him to the vet to have him checked out since there was a little bit of blood but he only cut his lip. This is a 27 lb Cocker Spaniel....who would probably be just as curious a second time, given the chance.
Anyhoo...we were going to pull off the mantle that's there & repair the wall anyway (it's a zero clearance gas fireplace on the other side in the den, so non-functional on the bedroom side). The plan was to just have a solid wall for either bookcases or a piece of furniture.
teeth_smile.gif
The list that I avoid talking about with my dh as every time I do it develops into a major discussion and meltdown!
There was just a story in the news a week or so back about a girl who fell from the roof of her apt building DOWN the chimney and landed in a couple of feet deep pile of soot. The fire dept was called and thought they'd be doing a body recovery and she was alive and well in the bottom of the shaft.

=(
Kk..
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
Samster said:
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
teeth_smile.gif
There was just a story in the news a week or so back about a girl who fell from the roof of her apt building DOWN the chimney and landed in a couple of feet deep pile of soot. The fire dept was called and thought they'd be doing a body recovery and she was alive and well in the bottom of the shaft.
Whoa! That's amazing! That's a lot longer fall.

Back