The nerve!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
Here is an email I just got..... The nerve of some people! Do they think we are that stupid????
angry_smile.gif

Hello
I am chris freeman
i run a breast cancer foundation (healthy living foundation)
I want to make a hotel reservation for two of our beneficiaries from Haiti, they are coming to your state for a cancer treatment. After the operation they intend stay in your facility for 7 days to enable her to be visiting the hospital for medical check up. Arrival date 21st January 2011 departure 27TH JANUARY 2011.
please confirm availability and get back to me with your price so that we can proceed payment with credit card.
regards,Chris
DG healthy living foundation(H.L.F)

bottom dwellers ~ a cancer sufferer from haiti no less. shameful.
and apparently there are scammers primed to go whenever a real tragedy strikes ... they immediately become the (blank) relief fund

I feel bad for anyone who is legit and trying to make arrangements for others - I just delete stuff like that when I get it. I do wonder, though, if I've ever ignored something that might have been on the up and up. Doubt it.

If you didn't know such emails were a scam......what harm would be in responding?
Is it that the inquiry was done by email......not booked through online sources ?

If you didn't know such emails were a scam......what harm would be in responding?
Is it that the inquiry was done by email......not booked through online sources ?.
The harm is..you open yourself up to a ton more of spammers...
As much as you may like to tell a spammer quite what you think of them - the problem is:
1. They usually send from invalid email addresses - either 'made up' or belonging to someone else!
2. If their address is valid - you will have just confirmed your email address is valid and you are a "live one" open to more on the other end.
And of course, you should never respond to spam solicitations.

OK.....
Just doing online ordering, you're open for junk mail.
I would be more concerned with links.

OK.....
Just doing online ordering, you're open for junk mail.
I would be more concerned with links..
Not necessarily. It all depends on who you are doing business with. Most reputable companies will not sell or give your emails away. Check their policies. If they do, I wouldn't deal with them. I guess I have a great SPAM filter with my email as I hardly ever get any spammers or soliticitations. The ISP takes care of them before they get to me and any questionable ones go into my SPAM box where I can check them out on line without having to download them to my computer.

Well.........I'm not necessarily getting alot of spam mail.......those get filtered.........I do get alot of junk email.....from places I have done and do business with, or I had made inquiries with.....Most times I do check off I don't want updates from them........still get them.
I'm to lazy to find where to in their email promotions to have them stop.....some I actualy don't mind.
Sorry thing is.....I have been using the same email for decades.....in 30 days I get over 1,200 emails that I just run through and delete...I don't check emails anymore.....unless it is something very important.
I realy do have to set up another email account.

Well.........I'm not necessarily getting alot of spam mail.......those get filtered.........I do get alot of junk email.....from places I have done and do business with, or I had made inquiries with.....Most times I do check off I don't want updates from them........still get them.
I'm to lazy to find where to in their email promotions to have them stop.....some I actualy don't mind.
Sorry thing is.....I have been using the same email for decades.....in 30 days I get over 1,200 emails that I just run through and delete...I don't check emails anymore.....unless it is something very important.
I realy do have to set up another email account..
I have a couple of emails. One for friends and family. One for buying stuff online. That way, all the spam goes to one place and I never use that account except to check for the receipt and shipping info when I buy something.
The biz account gets all the spam all the time. That account is published everywhere. Plus, the spambots don't even need to know the real address, they just start off with 'a @ thisbiz.com' and move on to 'b @ thisbiz.com'. All the way thru the alphabet and then on to 'aa @ thisbiz.com' and 'ab @ thisbiz.com'.
Eventually they hit a real address. Now, worst of all they are playing with periods and underbars, which was very useful up until now at keeping the spam out. 'a.a @ thisbiz.com' or 'a_a @ thisbiz.com'.
You could have one that is 'one_day.buys_stuff @ gmail' (or some other free account). It would take a long while for the spambots to come up with that one. But you'll still get all the mail from where you buy stuff.
Oh, and 'info@' is the most common biz email address so don't use that if you can avoid it. (Not just you personally, but anyone.)

I realy do have to set up another email account..
I have a couple of emails. One for friends and family. One for buying stuff online. That way, all the spam goes to one place and I never use that account except to check for the receipt and shipping info when I buy something.
The biz account gets all the spam all the time. That account is published everywhere. Plus, the spambots don't even need to know the real address, they just start off with 'a @ thisbiz.com' and move on to 'b @ thisbiz.com'. All the way thru the alphabet and then on to 'aa @ thisbiz.com' and 'ab @ thisbiz.com'.
Eventually they hit a real address. Now, worst of all they are playing with periods and underbars, which was very useful up until now at keeping the spam out. 'a.a @ thisbiz.com' or 'a_a @ thisbiz.com'.
You could have one that is 'one_day.buys_stuff @ gmail' (or some other free account). It would take a long while for the spambots to come up with that one. But you'll still get all the mail from where you buy stuff.
Oh, and 'info@' is the most common biz email address so don't use that if you can avoid it. (Not just you personally, but anyone.)
Thanks for posting this, I'm making note of it.

Back