The 'New" White Noise

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Much to my annoyance, I have guests who have discovered a new type of white noise. Running the shower...FOR HOURS. Suggestions on how to handle this with out turning off the water in all rooms???

Yikes!!! Do they have a CD of that? If so it would be worth getting and putting in the rooms. Maybe we need a whole new set of amenities labeled Whtie Noise CDs.

Timers for the individual showers? Someone mentioned that on here awhile ago. However, is there a need for white noise in that particular room or any room? If so, maybe getting one of those machines with sounds (like waterfalls, if that's what they were trying to recreate).
I thought we had that last week. It seemed like I heard water running for a very long time. Turns out all 4 occupants of the room wanted to shower one after the other, so the water WAS running, but it least it was being used. 2 hours is a long time, tho!

Oh my... I think I would have to say something to them....running water for hours on end is expensive and very inconsiderate. Perhaps knocking and asking...something like " our well pump has been running for hours and that isn't normal, is there water running in here from a toilet or something we need to fix?? ...we need to check on this as running water this long will cost us a fortune.!

Oh my... I think I would have to say something to them....running water for hours on end is expensive and very inconsiderate. Perhaps knocking and asking...something like " our well pump has been running for hours and that isn't normal, is there water running in here from a toilet or something we need to fix?? ...we need to check on this as running water this long will cost us a fortune.!.
thumbs_up.gif

You have to say something to them!
That kind of inconsideration could deprive others and the general water needs of your ktichen and private quarters of water at some point. What if you blow out a well pump and it took several days for the service to come out to replace it AND you had other guests at that time?
Very messy situation in that case.
I'd steer clear of the "financial" rationale as that could trigger the "Its our room, we're paying for it" response and even if not spoken, its in their heads and possibly in any follow up reviews, critique, etc.
You don't have to lecture them on the global clean water shortage, but water conservation is not that radical of a concept for anybody with a pulse to consider or identify with.
Our last well pump relacement was over $1,000. Maybe a quick run to Bed, Bath & Beyond or somewhere close that sells little water fountains is in order.

Timers for the individual showers? Someone mentioned that on here awhile ago. However, is there a need for white noise in that particular room or any room? If so, maybe getting one of those machines with sounds (like waterfalls, if that's what they were trying to recreate).
I thought we had that last week. It seemed like I heard water running for a very long time. Turns out all 4 occupants of the room wanted to shower one after the other, so the water WAS running, but it least it was being used. 2 hours is a long time, tho!.
Bree said:
If so, maybe getting one of those machines with sounds (like waterfalls, if that's what they were trying to recreate).
We just got a great white noise generator (after trying a few that we ended up not liking) for bwirt's room. The Sound Sleeper is pretty inexpensive but has great sounds to it. waves, stream, rain, thunder storms, birds... And you can layer the sounds on top of each other so you can have waves with a thunderstorm. The one wierd sound is the buoy-gong, I mean it makes sense layering on top of the waves, but I can't imagine trying to sleep with that clanging every so often.

I bet at this b&b you don't need white noise! viking inn dot com
They were on The Travel Channel a few weeks ago

I thought we had that last week. It seemed like I heard water running for a very long time. Turns out all 4 occupants of the room wanted to shower one after the other, so the water WAS running, but it least it was being used. 2 hours is a long time, tho!.
Bree said:
If so, maybe getting one of those machines with sounds (like waterfalls, if that's what they were trying to recreate).
We just got a great white noise generator (after trying a few that we ended up not liking) for bwirt's room. The Sound Sleeper is pretty inexpensive but has great sounds to it. waves, stream, rain, thunder storms, birds... And you can layer the sounds on top of each other so you can have waves with a thunderstorm. The one wierd sound is the buoy-gong, I mean it makes sense layering on top of the waves, but I can't imagine trying to sleep with that clanging every so often.
We have a homedics clock/radio with white noise sounds in the guest rooms (and one in our room). You can't layer the noises but there's about five to choose from, including wind - which is a pretty steady fan-like noise. I can't handle any of the chirping or ribbit soundtracks, personally, or the water noises.

I never understood the whole white noise thing. The sound of running water all night would drive me nuts.
I wonder if that guest did this at her home as well. I'd shudder to think how high her water bill must be.

I never understood the whole white noise thing. The sound of running water all night would drive me nuts.
I wonder if that guest did this at her home as well. I'd shudder to think how high her water bill must be..
Its primarily big city folks accustomed to a lot of background noise in their life going to a very quiet setting and having a hard time sleeping in such silence.

I wonder if that guest did this at her home as well. I'd shudder to think how high her water bill must be..
I am with you on this one as well. I just want QUIET to sleep. Noises of any sort drive me bonkers:)

I am with you on this one as well. I just want QUIET to sleep. Noises of any sort drive me bonkers:)
catlady said:
I used to find the hum of the air system at work a great sleep-inducer!

A few years ago we had this couple from the heart of Manhattan for a week. He was a stock broker, she an artist. I Googled their address and it was three blocks from Wall Street, the epitome of the belly of the urban beast in terms of noise, congestion and population density.
Mornings, 1-3 they'd come out for breakfast and looked like death warmed over. We could just tell they weren't sleeping well. Doing the fluff each day, we saw the multiple sleep aids on the bathroom counter. Those first few mornings we got questions like, "Do people in NM disconnect their car alarms?" or "Do fire trucks, ambulances and taxis respond to calls without their sirens or horns here?"
They were both just amazed at just how ingrained those particular sounds were in their heads.
Day 4, they came out for breakfast and we barely recognized them.
Shoulders dropped, very relaxed appearances, glowing faces, big smiles, etc..
They were that way the rest of time and on the last morning, the wife cried and revealed that those last four nights of sleep were the best she had gotten in 20 years of living in New York including during any other vacations they had taken.

Interesting. That's something I wouldn't have thought of! My kids had to sleep thru their dad's rock band practicing in the same room.

i need white noise to sleep. i've been this way as long as i can remember. birds wake me. stirrings within the house wake me. a car outside wakes me. and sounds around me ... little tiny sounds ... i can't fall asleep. i am not from new york or a loud, noisy place. no alarms and traffic outside. but i use a small fan ... something that hums, always.
i would never run someone's water like that!
a couple years ago, i went and stayed at my sister's camp in maine for a week ... it has no electricity ... total darkness except for stars or moon at nite. no traffic. they have over 100 acres. but there are some wild animals around - making occasional sounds. and crickets. so no fan, and it was a hard week. i slept poorly the whole time, there was no switch in my head .. like on the fourth nite or something ... where i could suddenly go to sleep which is what i was hoping for. it was nine nites and i was a wreck.
my family thinks it's because i was in an oxygen tent a lot as a young child. it made a fairly loud shusshing sound. i don't know. that gives me an explanation for me, but not for other people.

Each of our rooms has a standing oscillating fan (in the closet) and many of our guests use those at night for the white noise.

Each of our rooms has a standing oscillating fan (in the closet) and many of our guests use those at night for the white noise..
NW BB said:
Each of our rooms has a standing oscillating fan (in the closet) and many of our guests use those at night for the white noise.
We have guests who stay every year and their request is for a fan in the room. The fan on the A/C isn't loud enough, they want a cheap box fan that hums.

i need white noise to sleep. i've been this way as long as i can remember. birds wake me. stirrings within the house wake me. a car outside wakes me. and sounds around me ... little tiny sounds ... i can't fall asleep. i am not from new york or a loud, noisy place. no alarms and traffic outside. but i use a small fan ... something that hums, always.
i would never run someone's water like that!
a couple years ago, i went and stayed at my sister's camp in maine for a week ... it has no electricity ... total darkness except for stars or moon at nite. no traffic. they have over 100 acres. but there are some wild animals around - making occasional sounds. and crickets. so no fan, and it was a hard week. i slept poorly the whole time, there was no switch in my head .. like on the fourth nite or something ... where i could suddenly go to sleep which is what i was hoping for. it was nine nites and i was a wreck.
my family thinks it's because i was in an oxygen tent a lot as a young child. it made a fairly loud shusshing sound. i don't know. that gives me an explanation for me, but not for other people..
I put the fan in the window here and run it pretty much thru Oct. (Altho it is still too cool to need it yet!) I can't sleep with just the window open because I hear the cars and guests coming and going and people talking wakes me up. Not sure how I would do with just nature noises in the woods.

Bree said:
Swirt, it might not be such a good idea to get him used to running water noises while going to sleep. It could create a problem later when it comes time to potty train him. I'm just sayin.

Back