The 'New" White Noise

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each of our rooms has a standing oscillating fan (in the closet) and many of our guests use those at night for the white noise..
Yes we have fans in all of our guest rooms and lots of people used them for "noise" or to drown out a snoring partner, as I was told many times :)

I never understood the whole white noise thing. The sound of running water all night would drive me nuts.
I wonder if that guest did this at her home as well. I'd shudder to think how high her water bill must be..
I am with you on this one as well. I just want QUIET to sleep. Noises of any sort drive me bonkers:)
catlady said:
I am with you on this one as well. I just want QUIET to sleep. Noises of any sort drive me bonkers:)
I used to find the hum of the air system at work a great sleep-inducer!
I used to find the hum of the air system at work a great sleep-inducer!
The computer room hum will put me to sleep til this day! However, I have fallen asleep on school buses full of every age k thru 12, at the bowling alley, at the race track, any time I do not have to be alert for 5 minutes or more my body says Good night! All those years of working graveyard full-time and day part-time until the 2-legged animals were old enough to revse that schedule. I also chaperoned the field trips and did class home room parties, PTA, etc. So whether it is noisy or quiet, I can sleep.
And while I was part-time graveyard working weekends, my youngest had a heavy metal band that started practice in our living room (no other parent would allow it) at 5 PM - just one thin wall from my bedroom as I was getting to bed after working my day shift so I could be at work at 11 that night. One day DH came home and walked into the bedroom saying the noise the boys were making was very inconsiderate. I looked up at him and said, "I hate to tell you this, but YOU are the one who woke me up when you opened the bedroom door." True story! Since I went to sleep with them playing, I could sleep through them. And trust me, every fiber of wood in that house was vibrating.....

Timers for the individual showers? Someone mentioned that on here awhile ago. However, is there a need for white noise in that particular room or any room? If so, maybe getting one of those machines with sounds (like waterfalls, if that's what they were trying to recreate).
I thought we had that last week. It seemed like I heard water running for a very long time. Turns out all 4 occupants of the room wanted to shower one after the other, so the water WAS running, but it least it was being used. 2 hours is a long time, tho!.
Bree said:
If so, maybe getting one of those machines with sounds (like waterfalls, if that's what they were trying to recreate).
We just got a great white noise generator (after trying a few that we ended up not liking) for bwirt's room. The Sound Sleeper is pretty inexpensive but has great sounds to it. waves, stream, rain, thunder storms, birds... And you can layer the sounds on top of each other so you can have waves with a thunderstorm. The one wierd sound is the buoy-gong, I mean it makes sense layering on top of the waves, but I can't imagine trying to sleep with that clanging every so often.
Swirt, it might not be such a good idea to get him used to running water noises while going to sleep. It could create a problem later when it comes time to potty train him. I'm just sayin.
Swirt, it might not be such a good idea to get him used to running water noises while going to sleep. It could create a problem later when it comes time to potty train him. I'm just sayin.
LOL Nahh, the potty only makes water noises when you flush it, and by then he should be done ;)
We don't use the running water sound, we use the wave sound. Since we are at the waters edge, we often have the natural sounds of the waves coming through the windows. However some nights are really calm or and also when it is too cold to have the windows open we can't hear it, so the artificial version fills that in...and thanks to the baby monitor, we get the sound in our bedroom too for the price of just one wave machine ;)

interesting little video --- baby likes water running
(don't even bother looking at the other videos that show up on the page - sorry for those).
seashanty said:
interesting little video --- baby likes water running
That was cute. At that really young age it sort of goes along with the whole "Happiest Baby on the Block" approach. The running water shhhhooooshing is like the sound in the womb ...hairdryer and vacuum cleaner have similar effect.

Back