The next chapter of life

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been on our 5 year exit strategy for about 5 years now! Now that the market is low and filled with overpriced b&bs for sale, it will probably be another 3-4 years before we really exit. We won't even put it on the market for a couple more years.
As part of our exit strategy, we bought a wonderful house about 2 hours away that we will "retire" in. At first we were going to rent it, but after a few months I realized that it quickly became my "home", even thought it was still empty of furniture. It made me really realize that our b&b & our separate innkeepers house (on the same property) is not my home and never has been. It's where I live and work.
We have nicknamed it "the happy house" and are looking forward to being able to spend a few days there each month in the slower winter time. It makes our budget pretty tight to not rent it, but it's worth every penny to be able to get to my "happy house".

Can you explain what you mean by overpriced B&B's for sale? You mean for sale much more than the value of the property?
We too have a happy house, although it is just land waiting to be built upon. We go there, and never want to come back here, just because it is there and not here. Sounds weird, but you know exactly what I mean.
I have always felt the same, this is not our home, if it was I would kick out all these guests! The ones who chip the wood on the railing and walls with their VW Sized luggage, the ones who vomit in the sink, the ones who...and oh this is a new one ya'll...for those who have been here and see that I park 100 feet further away so our guests can have the closest spots - "You need a mountain goat to bring the bags in here!" Yes this was said just this week.
The parking lot is even with the house, you go up three steps onto the porch. ugh. Yeah mountain goat, that's me, try going up and down these stairs carrying stuff up and down 50 times a day like I do.

Can you explain what you mean by overpriced B&B's for sale? You mean for sale much more than the value of the property?
Yes, there are a lot of properties for sale that not only are priced much more than their property value, but wouldn't be able to even pay the mortgage with the revenue they bring in. There are 4 room properties that are for sale for over a million that bring in $35,000-$65,000 gross income. It's pretty crazy. There's a 2 room b&b for sale that is ocean front listed for more than $2 million!
We too have a happy house, although it is just land waiting to be built upon. We go there, and never want to come back here, just because it is there and not here. Sounds weird, but you know exactly what I mean.
I do know exactly what you mean. It's where your heart is and you're biding time until you can get there...someday. I was at the happy house recently for 4 days. I almost cried the day I had to leave. I'm fine once I get back to the b&b, but it's tough to leave...it's a window into the next phase of my life. I'm looking forward to it, but am not desperate to get there. I figure it will happen when it's ment to be.

Well, I sold and moved this July after 19 years in business. I did not know what I would do when I quit and I still don't.
regular_smile.gif
While I'm looking for some kind of employment I am doing some volunteer work in my new community with immigrants and seniors. I don't think we ever know for sure what we will do in the future as life is always evolving and change is inevitible..
Good to hear from you NEWCAT.I guess after I do this I'll just shut the doors and put my feet up, I'am already almost 67. Plan to do this another 8 years ? Mary in Bwater.
You CANNOT possibly be 66 years old! You've knocked my socks off! I hope I age as gracefully as you.

Yes, there are a lot of properties for sale that not only are priced much more than their property value, but wouldn't be able to even pay the mortgage with the revenue they bring in. There are 4 room properties that are for sale for over a million that bring in $35,000-$65,000 gross income. It's pretty crazy. There's a 2 room b&b for sale that is ocean front listed for more than $2 million!
I do know exactly what you mean. It's where your heart is and you're biding time until you can get there...someday. I was at the happy house recently for 4 days. I almost cried the day I had to leave. I'm fine once I get back to the b&b, but it's tough to leave...it's a window into the next phase of my life. I'm looking forward to it, but am not desperate to get there. I figure it will happen when it's ment to be..
We made our Happy House our B&B! I guess the next step would be the Nut House!

I do know exactly what you mean. It's where your heart is and you're biding time until you can get there...someday. I was at the happy house recently for 4 days. I almost cried the day I had to leave. I'm fine once I get back to the b&b, but it's tough to leave...it's a window into the next phase of my life. I'm looking forward to it, but am not desperate to get there. I figure it will happen when it's ment to be..
MTLLodge said:
cheers.gif
Too funny!

MTLLodge said:
You're already there! B&B=Nut House
wink_smile.gif

Don't know how long we'll be doing this. We've only been going at it for two years. We have talked about how we can scale back when it starts to become too much. We have a twenty year plan: we're going to cram as much living as we can into life because the next stop is an assisted living community.

Back