The next chapter of life

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Spiers

Reaction score
So, understanding and appreciating that innkeepers who move on are no failures, do any of you have "plans" for the next chapter of your lives? If so, is it in the industry? Is it less customer service?
Honestly, how do you move on from what is so intimately you (innkeeping) and something you are so passionate about, to something that is 9 to 5 and less personal?

Who says it will be 9 to 5?
I know there is something else I am "supposed" to do. I will not know what it is until I sell my B & B. It will be something I do alone - that I know. I cannot put my inn on the market while himself is still functioning - he has too much "stuff" and it must be where HE wants it - JB, I am a neatnik compared to him.
I think I am going to stay in this small City. I like my Podunk. But I also think about being a Nomad - getting a small RV and just traveling wherever the spirit moves me. Who knows - DH might plant ME.

We signed up for the 10 year plan, anticipating that we would put the inn on the market at year 7 giving us 3 years to sell. And then? We're still thinking on that... we've got 4 more years to work on it! We like this area but no family close by, so we'll probably move closer to one of the kids - GA or AR.

We are staying put...can't sell this place now...but even if a time comes when we do...we are staying here. We have our local things to keep us busy and that is all we plan to do.

I am slowly transitioning now...if it comes to fruition. I met the Director of our State Parks System this past week...not sure if I will make any sort of living, but will have some fun in what I am gearing up toward...If not, I will be happy to not work and actually have more money...go figure. LOL!
"A window of opportunity does not open itself" that was my fortune cookie I had in my purse for a few months.
For those who buy inns and want them to be an investment, you might want to rethink that after you have so much maintenance and reno's to do on them. In this current real estate climate anyway.

I am slowly going there. I love this job but I am wondering what the next chapter in my life will be. If someone came along and offered me a price I could not refuse I might be ready sooner than later. We have been doing this for 9 years and we think we have done it very well. There is a little town 10 miles from us that I love and want to live there before I am too old to enjoy it. We will see.

I am slowly transitioning now...if it comes to fruition. I met the Director of our State Parks System this past week...not sure if I will make any sort of living, but will have some fun in what I am gearing up toward...If not, I will be happy to not work and actually have more money...go figure. LOL!
"A window of opportunity does not open itself" that was my fortune cookie I had in my purse for a few months.
For those who buy inns and want them to be an investment, you might want to rethink that after you have so much maintenance and reno's to do on them. In this current real estate climate anyway..
Joey Bloggs said:
"A window of opportunity does not open itself"
I love this quote!

We already have the new house picked out, and a smaller house we will use as a rental property 5 miles away in a lovely mountain town. I am excited to use what I have learned about marketing and guest comfort to provide a great get-a-way where I get to do all the work BEFORE the people arrive and then I'm done! I will relish not speaking to anyone every again before at least my second cup of coffee!!!

What ever I do next, I know it will be something fun and rewarding! But right now is very happy doing the innkeeper dance.
wink_smile.gif

MTL "Innkeeper Song and Dance and Magic Tricks" the description seems to be growing. :)
Sidetrack: Our Russian guests were cold in the room that is the hottest room here, as it has two metal roofs right outside both windows from the porch. They checked in after 8pm and within 2 minutes said they wanted the room warmer.
I had to laugh, DH went up and it was 76 in their room, it was 80+ degrees,sunny and warm yesterday, so not like they were wet from the rain and got a chill. Anyway, I am always worried it is too hot in that one room, and was just in it before they checked in, there are windows and ceiling fan to circulate the air.
So all that to say, you can't make everyone happy 100% of the time. Any other guest would complain it was too warm in there. It was quite comfortable, better than down here. :) I would have loved to be in that room with all the light and comfort.

Well, I sold and moved this July after 19 years in business. I did not know what I would do when I quit and I still don't.
regular_smile.gif
While I'm looking for some kind of employment I am doing some volunteer work in my new community with immigrants and seniors. I don't think we ever know for sure what we will do in the future as life is always evolving and change is inevitible.

Well, I sold and moved this July after 19 years in business. I did not know what I would do when I quit and I still don't.
regular_smile.gif
While I'm looking for some kind of employment I am doing some volunteer work in my new community with immigrants and seniors. I don't think we ever know for sure what we will do in the future as life is always evolving and change is inevitible..
Good to hear from you NEWCAT.I guess after I do this I'll just shut the doors and put my feet up, I'am already almost 67. Plan to do this another 8 years ? Mary in Bwater.

JB Thanks for the quote
"A window of opportunity does not open itself"
I may post it on my fridge today-maybe on fb too.
This topic has amazing timing. I just created a website to sell my place www.indianapolisbandbforsale.weebly.com , not so much out of choice as much as it is out of a change in family situation/finances. -so if anyone knows anyone interested, please have them call me.
Nonetheless I am anxious - both nervous and excited to see what is around the bend, I hope to continue innkeeping in some capacity.

Domsmom did you put it on innshopper.com (free basic listing)
and the INNS FOR SALE section here, I think it is about buying or selling an inn, but you can still list it there! Pop some nice photos on there with the link! You will get quite a few clicks, there are more guest users on this forum than regular users...ya never know!

We figure when we get too old to run the inn we will sell and keep the wine tour business for travel money. We can block off tours when we're not in town if we don't have anyone to run them while we travel.
RIki

and the INNS FOR SALE section here, I think it is about buying or selling an inn, but you can still list it there! Pop some nice photos on there with the link! You will get quite a few clicks, there are more guest users on this forum than regular users...ya never know!.
I did list it on innshopper.com- thanks for reminding me about putting it on here as well. I did not even think about that.

and the INNS FOR SALE section here, I think it is about buying or selling an inn, but you can still list it there! Pop some nice photos on there with the link! You will get quite a few clicks, there are more guest users on this forum than regular users...ya never know!.
I did list it on innshopper.com- thanks for reminding me about putting it on here as well. I did not even think about that.
domsmom said:
yeah it's free, why not! There are 5 users on line and 8 guests online as I type this. Many guests are aspiring or lurking aspirings, so I would, add it in that section and maybe the aspiring section. Why not, aye! I wish you all the best, the time will be right for the sale. :)

No plans as of yet.....I'm just happy to FINALLY get my phone, cable and internet hooked up! Thanks goodness finding a job is not a pressing issue for me now....but definitely something days with no weekends or holidays. I could go to work where David works, but his boss is a turd, so we'll see about that.

You never know what door will open when you least expect it...
We are trying to figure out where we want to be in 3 years when my dh can retire from his second full-time job (that he did in addtion to helping me with innkeeping). We're looking at areas of the country where we used to live and loved it there and checking out other new areas. We've decided that we will NOT stay here.
I have a part-time job now working as a personal assistant for someone who is visually impaired with two young children. (She also has a part-time nanny.) I've committed to it until the end of this year. Who knows what's next?

9 to 5??? You've GOT to be kidding!!
LOL... but who knows where I'll end up?? Hopefully it's a long way off... but whenever and wherever... I've got skills and I'll make a living.
OK, my real plan... buy a cabin (or more than one) rent it out, and eventually sell this place and move into it. My dream cabin has a view and fishing... and significantly fewer than 6 toilets!
=)
Kk.

Back