The 'no changes allowed' policy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Just bringing this up on its own...how does everyone think this would fly in their market? The 'book it now at the lower rate, pre pay, don't even think about a refund' lodging option.
Yes, it would work where you are.
No, it wouldn't work.
Interesting idea you might try?

Oh come on...I know you are not a southuhner, but you can say "lock and load" we won't tell anyone. Amen pass the ammo. :)
On a more serious not, I might do it. It is in essence what, a GIFT CERTIFICATE. No refunds, no cash value.

I say give it a try. Folks are looking for deals now. With the prepaid option, they can get a deal - and the innkeeper gets a truly guaranteed payment.
Why not?

I think it might fly, too. Go for it. Maybe only for the month of XX... see if it works for you. If it doesn't, no harm, no foul.

You could call it the GRINCH SPECIAL. :)
The Scrooge Special (Referring to innkeepers or guests? Hm they would have to make the call)

I can't say if it would fly here, but I just did it for the first time myself. Used a Priceline bid for a 4-star Inner Harbor Baltimore Hotel of $90 (ave. rate $265) for the night we were going to a concert there, without knowing which hotel I'd get. Got it right away at the Marriott Waterfront, no extra charges at the hotel other than parking (which we knew in advance) - no problem. So, I guess I would look at it seriously at a B&B as well.

Oh come on...I know you are not a southuhner, but you can say "lock and load" we won't tell anyone. Amen pass the ammo. :)
On a more serious not, I might do it. It is in essence what, a GIFT CERTIFICATE. No refunds, no cash value..
Actually I was thinking that the lock and load granny special was a bit more than a gift certificate.
I was thinking more of an actual reservation with an actual date that cannot be changed for any reason.

Haven't given this much thought. But I am trying to think out of the box a little more lately so my answer (today) is:
I might give it a try...

On a more serious not, I might do it. It is in essence what, a GIFT CERTIFICATE. No refunds, no cash value..
Actually I was thinking that the lock and load granny special was a bit more than a gift certificate.
I was thinking more of an actual reservation with an actual date that cannot be changed for any reason.
Innkeeper To Go said:
Yes, I am saying to an innkeeper it is the SAME as a gift certificate SALE. No refunds.

This is exactly why I sold extensively on ebay in our ealy years. Brings the revenue in NOW when I need it, the GC had a generous "10 month of the year" stay parameter, and there were no refunds whatsoever. About half booked their stay as soon as they won, some waited and reserved later, however. But I had their money going into slow season.
Are you talking pay now, reserve now for whatever date, and the guest cannot cancel or change dates for any reason? It would have to be really cheap for me to buy something with that kind of restriction.

As a guest I might book it....I have booked that way a few times at hotels. BUT, I would only do it if I were going to use the room within a month and only if it were for 1 or 2 nights as I wouldn't take the risk of something happening and loosing too much money. Usually I will prepay for a room with no cancellation if it's about $15 or more a night. Doesn't sound like much but if I know I will use it it's worth the savings!

This seems like something that would work here in the shoulder and off seasons...for last minute type bookings. More and more of the chain hotels seem to be doing this, and not necessarily at a huge discount (For a $150/night room I've seen max 10% discount).

This seems like something that would work here in the shoulder and off seasons...for last minute type bookings. More and more of the chain hotels seem to be doing this, and not necessarily at a huge discount (For a $150/night room I've seen max 10% discount)..
InnsiderInfo said:
This seems like something that would work here in the shoulder and off seasons...for last minute type bookings. More and more of the chain hotels seem to be doing this, and not necessarily at a huge discount (For a $150/night room I've seen max 10% discount).
Yes it is not a huge discount. just go to any of them and look, bu tit has to be more than aaa to get bites. I did it in Charleston to get a river view high up room, we were going no matter what so I prepaid it.

This is exactly why I sold extensively on ebay in our ealy years. Brings the revenue in NOW when I need it, the GC had a generous "10 month of the year" stay parameter, and there were no refunds whatsoever. About half booked their stay as soon as they won, some waited and reserved later, however. But I had their money going into slow season.
Are you talking pay now, reserve now for whatever date, and the guest cannot cancel or change dates for any reason? It would have to be really cheap for me to buy something with that kind of restriction..
Little Blue said:
Are you talking pay now, reserve now for whatever date, and the guest cannot cancel or change dates for any reason? It would have to be really cheap for me to buy something with that kind of restriction.
I think the hotels have that online...book your stay today, pay today, no refunds for any reason. And THEIR discounts were about $10, definitely not worth the risk.
But, yes, that's what I was thinking. Book it and be done with it.
And, yes, it is very restrictive. But the hotels wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't working for them.

Are you talking pay now, reserve now for whatever date, and the guest cannot cancel or change dates for any reason? It would have to be really cheap for me to buy something with that kind of restriction..
Little Blue said:
I think the hotels have that online...book your stay today, pay today, no refunds for any reason. And THEIR discounts were about $10, definitely not worth the risk.
But, yes, that's what I was thinking. Book it and be done with it.
And, yes, it is very restrictive. But the hotels wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't working for them.
It's definitely working for the hotels and, yes, I think it will work just as well for B&Bs.
And since the discount doesn't have to be that enormous to get nibbles, and since B&Bs are undervalued by much of the traveling public who don't recognize them for the bargains that they are, I say go for it. Get that value message out there.
Guests need just the littlest of pushes to make the decision, as long as they're leaning in a certain direction already.
Prepaid is just the push for some folks. And there's no whining later on about cancellations.
Why not?

bree ~ i was in your area (sort of) and i did it. and it worked. i didn't get masses of reservations but i did get some. i would have to rummage through my stuff to find the exact wording. it was on the idea of 'book early and save big' but i don't think i used the word 'big' ... i also 'sweetened' the offer by telling them premium in-room treats would be waiting for them when they got here.

Anyone who is doing the lock and load, would you mind sharing the verbiage for us. I would like to do this as well, of course on webervations I can only have one set of policies, so I guess I would need to add another specific for the prepaid no cancellation special. Any wording on that would be appreciated. I can go look at a hotel directory site to find it too. Although I notice MOST policies are not provided until you hit BOOK.

Hot Deals:
Standard Room with 1 King Bed Non Smoking - Advance Purchase Rate
Note: this special rate is non-changeable and non-refundable

Do you do multiple discounts? ie- long time guests who regularly get a discount book this 'special rate'. Do they also get their repeat discount on top of the discounted rate?

Back