The older I get...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The more I cannot understand people coming down to breakfast at 9am on the dot (and midweek, it is not even a weekend!), not enjoying the coolness of this beautiful morning, mountain views and mockingbirds on the porch with a nice coffee! It boggles my mind, no, my guests are not young (two rooms).
As you can see it is 8:58am and no one is down, so I wait, I don't serve cold food, they need to be here before I finish cooking.

I must make you insane. If breakfast is at 9, that's when you'll see me. I do not get up early when I don't have to!

Some people aren't morning people...unless they have to be. It's just their clock.
Also, I used to get up really early for work, day after day after day, and the last thing I wanted to do was get up early on vacation.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy the porch in the evening and watch the fireflies.....
regular_smile.gif

You miss the best part of the day, you miss the freshness...
You miss everything that is good before people get all sweaty and tired and irritable.

You miss everything that is good before people get all sweaty and tired and irritable..
Depends on what type of vacation I am taking...
When we are camping, I am up early. When I'm at the beach, I'm up early to take a walk on the beach before others are there. When I am visiting someplace that is a totally new experience, I am up early. If I'm in a super comfy bed, I might just relish in the softness of more slumber. Just depends...
Everyone drinks in life and experiences differently...we are all unique that way!
regular_smile.gif

You miss everything that is good before people get all sweaty and tired and irritable..
Joey Bloggs said:
You miss everything that is good before people get all sweaty and tired and irritable.
I have listened to people telling me this for 50+ years. 'The day's half gone!' (At 6 AM.) 'You're sleeping your life away.' (And yet I have had some wonderful experiences.) 'Morning is the best part of the day!' (Not to me it isn't. It's the time of day when I'M grumpy and out of sorts.)
I like to pace myself. Ease into the day.

I'm not a morning person. When I get out of bed, I'm not chipper and bright and cheerful. I don't want to talk to people. That's some of the reasons we deliver breakfast instead of guest interaction in the mornings. It's also another reason why we stay in hotels when we're on vacation. I don't want a deadline for breakfast.
For those folks who do book a b&b and are like me in the morning, well, they're nuts! It would drive me bonkers if I had to hold breakfast on folks like you do.

I'm not a morning person. When I get out of bed, I'm not chipper and bright and cheerful. I don't want to talk to people. That's some of the reasons we deliver breakfast instead of guest interaction in the mornings. It's also another reason why we stay in hotels when we're on vacation. I don't want a deadline for breakfast.
For those folks who do book a b&b and are like me in the morning, well, they're nuts! It would drive me bonkers if I had to hold breakfast on folks like you do..
Breakfast Diva said:
For those folks who do book a b&b and are like me in the morning, well, they're nuts! It would drive me bonkers if I had to hold breakfast on folks like you do.
That's why we have an open breakfast time. I get up at 7:30. In the dining room by 7:50. Set the tables, get the juices out, blah, blah, blah. I cannot carry on a conversation for more than a few minutes at that hour. It is VERY stressful for me to come into the dining room and find it full of guests who are waiting for food. Or, I just roll in and they are clamoring for the third pot of coffee! But, getting up earlier is worse. If I get up early and then sit I am out like a light.
We do stop seating at 9:30. Does not mean you can't sit down at 9:30 and get fed, but it's pushing it. Most of our guests are GONE by 9:30 but there are a few who are dragging themselves to the table at that point and THEN go and shower.
It was a joke in my family that we should open a place called 'Lodging & Lunch' just so I would be awake for it.

For those folks who do book a b&b and are like me in the morning, well, they're nuts! It would drive me bonkers if I had to hold breakfast on folks like you do..
Breakfast Diva said:
That's why we have an open breakfast time. I get up at 7:30. In the dining room by 7:50. Set the tables, get the juices out, blah, blah, blah. I cannot carry on a conversation for more than a few minutes at that hour. It is VERY stressful for me to come into the dining room and find it full of guests who are waiting for food. Or, I just roll in and they are clamoring for the third pot of coffee! But, getting up earlier is worse. If I get up early and then sit I am out like a light.
We do stop seating at 9:30. Does not mean you can't sit down at 9:30 and get fed, but it's pushing it. Most of our guests are GONE by 9:30 but there are a few who are dragging themselves to the table at that point and THEN go and shower.
It was a joke in my family that we should open a place called 'Lodging & Lunch' just so I would be awake for it.
Madeleine said:
Oh man! If you did that, I'd stay there for sure!!!
cheers.gif

You all are missing the point, breakfast today midweek was at 9am, not 6am! And the same people are the ones who roll in after 9am and sit and talk for over an hour or more...you know me by now, as I say I would be chewing my foot off to get out of the trap!
My opinion and I am stickin' to it! You all can do and be however you want.

You all are missing the point, breakfast today midweek was at 9am, not 6am! And the same people are the ones who roll in after 9am and sit and talk for over an hour or more...you know me by now, as I say I would be chewing my foot off to get out of the trap!
My opinion and I am stickin' to it! You all can do and be however you want..
I do understand. 9 AM breakfast - even if they come down on time - means they will probably not clear the door befor noon amd YOUR day is a shambles. If you have inn-coming, you are now behind in cleaning, laundry, etc and if you are blessed with a no check-in day, you do not have time to go/do anything by the time you clean up from them.
I may dread getting up to do a 4 AM or 6 AM breakfast, but those folks will be out of here within the hour or less and I have the day.

Joey Bloggs said:
My opinion and I am stickin' to it! You all can do and be however you want.
Not missing the point at all. Breakfast at 9, that's when I show up. I would have gotten out of the bed at 8:40. I would not have been up with the birds. (4 AM here)
IF I got up at 6, what would you want me doing? Stomping up and down the stairs to go for a walk? Sitting on the front porch on the phone blabbering away? Getting in my car and driving off so you have no idea if I'm coming back? Smoking out by the pond? Pacing around waiting for you to serve? Trying to get into the kitchen to chat because it's such a wonderful day and I want to share that with you? All things you have complained guests do that drive you spare.
Be happy they left you alone. They didn't wake you or anyone else by getting up to enjoy the morning!
wink_smile.gif

Not missing the point at all. I totally get it. You are a morning person, but maybe your guests are not. It is what it is...
You're totally experienced now to gracefully get out of that trap without having to chew off your foot.
wink_smile.gif

Back