The overly helpful ----

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
We've all had them...those that want to help. They all mean well I know BUT!!!!
My latest arrived yesterday evening. They were making a heck of a lot of noise with in minutes of arriving, then came down to ask for ideas for dinner. I could not help but ask if there were problems in the room....
OH NO! We just flipped your Matress for you. WHAT!!!!
wow.gif
They said they do it everywhere they go. Well that had to be the case because this is a brand new set, no sagging in that one. I also have a wonderful memory topper on it. This morning they came down fully rested and assured us the flip is what did it...Well I am so happy it made their night!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

(With all the others this weekend, guess I must have ticked off the gods or something.)
Please add your own examples so I do not feel alone here.

Those guests need to tell owners that they will be doing that so that we can just leave the bedding in a neat pile for them (to make it easier on us and them)! That is one of the craziest things I have ever heard!

I wonder what they would do if they came across a pillowtop mattress? They won't be able to flip it!
It still amazes me after all these years how people think (or don't think).

HUH??? That is too weird. THere are many mattresses out there now that you CANNOT flip..what would they have done with those? THey'd have a tough time sleeping on one of ours if they flipped it.... I won't buy another one of those NO FLIP Ones again.

I'm guessing they left a stain of some sort, the sort of which will be left to our imagination, and thought they were being just too clever in covering it up.

thoughts ...
they were really checking for bed bugs and didn't want to offend you by telling you the truth.
they were hiding a stain (but not likely if they just checked in)

That beats anything I could come up with! Our guests stripped the beds and piled the wet towels on top of the mattress, but they were just being helpful.
So yours then they pretty much insulted you by telling you if they hadn't done that they would never have slept. Do they not think that the innkeepers also flip the mattresses and that anything they were trying to avoid is now back on top? Har har.

I wonder what they would do if they came across a pillowtop mattress? They won't be able to flip it!
It still amazes me after all these years how people think (or don't think)..
I have 3 pillowtops - and all can be flipped. They are pillowtop on both sides.

I'm guessing they left a stain of some sort, the sort of which will be left to our imagination, and thought they were being just too clever in covering it up..
They had just checked in. But if it had been that, wouldn't the stain also be on the linens?

That beats anything I could come up with! Our guests stripped the beds and piled the wet towels on top of the mattress, but they were just being helpful.
So yours then they pretty much insulted you by telling you if they hadn't done that they would never have slept. Do they not think that the innkeepers also flip the mattresses and that anything they were trying to avoid is now back on top? Har har..
My thoughts exactly Moarticia. When they told us this, they started explaining the "order" in flipping like if we didn't know this. I just chimed in and then told them the mattress was less than a month old.
I had thought about the bed bug issue too, SS. They arenot from the US so that may be how they determine if the place is clean. They also are the type to leave all sheets loose (nothing tucked in) so for them, remaking the bed was not a big issue. LOL
Still, weird!!!
The only other real weird guest we had was one that partially rearranged their room. This was several years ago. I walked in to freshen the room and I got a suprise. They were embarrassed as they did not realize I was going to go in the room and they had planned to put everything back before they left.

So yours then they pretty much insulted you by telling you if they hadn't done that they would never have slept. Do they not think that the innkeepers also flip the mattresses and that anything they were trying to avoid is now back on top? Har har..
My thoughts exactly Moarticia. When they told us this, they started explaining the "order" in flipping like if we didn't know this. I just chimed in and then told them the mattress was less than a month old.
I had thought about the bed bug issue too, SS. They arenot from the US so that may be how they determine if the place is clean. They also are the type to leave all sheets loose (nothing tucked in) so for them, remaking the bed was not a big issue. LOL
Still, weird!!!
The only other real weird guest we had was one that partially rearranged their room. This was several years ago. I walked in to freshen the room and I got a suprise. They were embarrassed as they did not realize I was going to go in the room and they had planned to put everything back before they left.
I am still unduly peeved by this. Obviously, we ALL have a schedule to do this. Given this is mid-Feb, they have just thrown the whole thing off. I think I might have told them that I would be flipping the mattress back over to keep MY schedule in place. They didn't WRITE on the mattress did they? To be REALLY helpful to you? (That's what Martha says to do...write in marker or use tags- Jan, Apr, July, Oct- facing in the correct direction so you can read it when the mattress is flipped correctly.)
Jeez that's annoying. Why do guests think they know better than we do? And think they have the right to do ANYTHING they want?

I'm guessing they left a stain of some sort, the sort of which will be left to our imagination, and thought they were being just too clever in covering it up..
They had just checked in. But if it had been that, wouldn't the stain also be on the linens?
Could be as simple as spilling water on the bed.
But the thing is, guests are full of quirks we will never understand no matter how we try.

Still, weird!!!
So, the next question is - did you flip it back again or just leave it?! Also, how often are you supposed to flip mattresses? I only flip ours cos it has a spring/summer side for coolness and a fall/winter side for warmness. My Mother never taught me to flip mattresses!

Still, weird!!!
So, the next question is - did you flip it back again or just leave it?! Also, how often are you supposed to flip mattresses? I only flip ours cos it has a spring/summer side for coolness and a fall/winter side for warmness. My Mother never taught me to flip mattresses!
Every 3 months.

Still, weird!!!
We flip every six months and rotate every three months (head to foot) for the guest beds. We do our own every 3 months because they are subjected to the same sleep patterns every night, but the guest beds do fine with every 6. I would have put this guest firmly in their place by letting them know they had disrupted MY schedule. It's so sad, people just have such a need to feel "special" somehow...it just comes off as weird.

Being only a month old, I am not really that worried about it and will just place it in my regular routine with the others.
I just thought it very wierd. This has been one really strange week. Here's hoping for some average Joes - PLEASE!

CH did you flip it back and find a stain?
My own examples - hm, had a lady rearrange the gift shop cabinet as she was going through it all the other week, I said no big deal, and left it that way, it needed some changes, but the gall to rearrange someones stuff is a strange one. She took things that I had grouped and spread them out everywhere, to my eye it doesn't work. But maybe she knows and I don't. So I left it.

My own examples - hm, had a lady rearrange the gift shop cabinet as she was going through it all the other week, I said no big deal, and left it that way, it needed some changes, but the gall to rearrange someones stuff is a strange one. She took things that I had grouped and spread them out everywhere, to my eye it doesn't work. But maybe she knows and I don't. So I left it..
Meaning well, my daughter rearranged my kitchen and dining room "stuff" last year (I had taken DH to a doc appt.). I am STILL looking for things. Found some in VERY interesting places that even I had not considered. Said nothing - but if she does it again......

My own examples - hm, had a lady rearrange the gift shop cabinet as she was going through it all the other week, I said no big deal, and left it that way, it needed some changes, but the gall to rearrange someones stuff is a strange one. She took things that I had grouped and spread them out everywhere, to my eye it doesn't work. But maybe she knows and I don't. So I left it..
No I did not flip but did look at everything when I stripped the bed. Everything is fine, no stains, nothing indicating even a water spill. I think they just did what they said, flip! Since they were international, it could be they were checking for bed bugs as they can be found in even the cleanest of places and just did not want to say the reason. Who knows, just found it strange.

Back