The Perception of Value

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I just read a review on TA from a neighboring inn, and a few more. It always makes me chuckle to find the guest's perception of value.
I had a BOGO and didn't get marked high for value, it was a savings of like $165.00. Another inn from this forum didn't get high marks for value after GIVING GUESTS A FREE STAY for the BnBforvets promotion. Another inn here got knocked on not having name brand sodas for the guest, when they had comp sodas for them.
I guess I will never understand it, if getting 50% off is not great value, and a free stay isn't great value, then what is?

I have to jump in here with something about TA. I recently posted a review of a restaurant. It was acknowledged and then NEVER posted. So, I went back several weeks later and posted another review. NOTHING...so I contact TA. They direct me to the Rules...I have read the rules and have followed everyone of them. Was not nasty, but was not good. Just stated the facts.
First response I get was this:
We do not accept reviews written by ownership or management; including past employees or anyone associated with/related to employees of the property with which they are affiliated. No reviews written by vendors employed by the property. Individuals affiliated with a property may not review other properties of the same type (accommodation, restaurant, or attraction) within the same city or town, or within 10 miles of that property.
I informed them this had nothing to do with me..NEVER HAS and NEVER WILL. So now I get this reply back:
It appears that your review has been caught up in our automatic filters, which set aside content that we feel might require special attention. Unfortunately, I cannot go into detail about what triggered the removal, nor can I publish your post.
So I have replied back once again. I need further explanation of WHY this particular post is a problem. Anyone ever encounter any thing like this? Any suggestions? I just wanted to give an honest review of the poor quality our group got. I guess I may have to have someone else in the group send in the review.

Some people you can not please no matter what you do. Some people have to have something to complain about and then there are those that never give top ratings just because there is ALWAYS room for improvement.
I don't understand it either! I want to be happy!!!

I have to jump in here with something about TA. I recently posted a review of a restaurant. It was acknowledged and then NEVER posted. So, I went back several weeks later and posted another review. NOTHING...so I contact TA. They direct me to the Rules...I have read the rules and have followed everyone of them. Was not nasty, but was not good. Just stated the facts.
We do not accept reviews written by ownership or management; including past employees or anyone associated with/related to employees of the property with which they are affiliated. No reviews written by vendors employed by the property. Individuals affiliated with a property may not review other properties of the same type (accommodation, restaurant, or attraction) within the same city or town, or within 10 miles of that property.
I informed them this had nothing to do with me..NEVER HAS and NEVER WILL. So now I get this reply back:
It appears that your review has been caught up in our automatic filters, which set aside content that we feel might require special attention. Unfortunately, I cannot go into detail about what triggered the removal, nor can I publish your post.
So I have replied back once again. I need further explanation of WHY this particular post is a problem. Anyone ever encounter any thing like this? Any suggestions? I just wanted to give an honest review of the poor quality our group got. I guess I may have to have someone else in the group send in the review..
EmptyNest said:
So I have replied back once again. I need further explanation of WHY this particular post is a problem. Anyone ever encounter any thing like this? Any suggestions? I just wanted to give an honest review of the poor quality our group got. I guess I may have to have someone else in the group send in the review.
What would be interesting to know is if another reviewer posted the same comments to see if they were rejected. Have you posted to YELP? I find more people check it for restaurant reviews.

So I have replied back once again. I need further explanation of WHY this particular post is a problem. Anyone ever encounter any thing like this? Any suggestions? I just wanted to give an honest review of the poor quality our group got. I guess I may have to have someone else in the group send in the review..
EmptyNest said:
What would be interesting to know is if another reviewer posted the same comments to see if they were rejected. Have you posted to YELP? I find more people check it for restaurant reviews.
Yes I went to YELP and posted it. :) But it has not shown up under their listing. How long does it take? If I send you my comments, will someone post to TA and see if they take it?

Do you live in the same town? If so, drive outside the city and post it fr there. They are filtering from your IP address is my guess.

If we gave everything for free and never charged anyone to stay, we would still get someone that would complain.

Do you live in the same town? If so, drive outside the city and post it fr there. They are filtering from your IP address is my guess..
Yes but what should that have to do with anything? I say right in my post I am a local. Locals have a right to post reviews too
wink_smile.gif

Do you live in the same town? If so, drive outside the city and post it fr there. They are filtering from your IP address is my guess..
Yes but what should that have to do with anything? I say right in my post I am a local. Locals have a right to post reviews too
wink_smile.gif

EmptyNest said:
wink_smile.gif
I agree. This is there filter. They are thinking if you are posting from your city you are the owner or employee. You could try turning off (or unplugging the power of) your Cable/DSL modem for five minutes. In many cases this will change your IP address. However, if that does not change your IP address, repeat the process for 8 hours (overnight works well) instead of 5 minutes. Hopefully this will result in an IP change. If this does not work. You will have to post from a different city.

If this is a local place you are reviewing you may need to use a different account than the one you used as an owner AND not post it from home (IP address).
If it isn't, then you might just have to get someone else to write it.
I have found a lot of guests have told me, 'I just wrote a review!' while they are sitting at the guest computer. That will never post online.

If this is a local place you are reviewing you may need to use a different account than the one you used as an owner AND not post it from home (IP address).
If it isn't, then you might just have to get someone else to write it.
I have found a lot of guests have told me, 'I just wrote a review!' while they are sitting at the guest computer. That will never post online.
I am using a different account then when I owned the B & B. This is just weird. I will take my tablet and try it from somewhere else. I am waiting for another reply from them to see if they can actually give me a reason.

Back on JB's original opening query, my working hypothesis is that guests don't judge value against what they actually paid, but against what they would have paid if they had paid full price. Staying at an Inn for half-price (BOGO) or even free (BnB4Vets) isn't deemed a great value if they are not getting what they think they should be getting for $165 (or whatever).

On Tri pAdv isor, the thing we have to remember is that there is not an army of people reading reviews and what not --- as much as possible it is all done by artificial "intelligence." The guy who founded TA studied physics and computer programming at Hahvahd. If you look at the careers section on the TA site, they are really only looking for clever computer programmers. They have a smarts quiz with a bunch of brain twisters and puzzlers for you to solve before you can even get to the application. Their motto is "fast, not right" (or something like that) -- in other words, it is more important that, as a programmer, your computer code come up with an answer (any answer) quickly than that it necessarily come up with the right answer (the bugs can be fixed later).
So EmptyNest, the TA computer didn't like something that it parsed in your review. They can't tell you what exactly because either (1) they don't know themselves, and/or (2) if they did, then you would (and everyone else presumably) would be able to out-smart their computer, and they don't want that.

On Tri pAdv isor, the thing we have to remember is that there is not an army of people reading reviews and what not --- as much as possible it is all done by artificial "intelligence." The guy who founded TA studied physics and computer programming at Hahvahd. If you look at the careers section on the TA site, they are really only looking for clever computer programmers. They have a smarts quiz with a bunch of brain twisters and puzzlers for you to solve before you can even get to the application. Their motto is "fast, not right" (or something like that) -- in other words, it is more important that, as a programmer, your computer code come up with an answer (any answer) quickly than that it necessarily come up with the right answer (the bugs can be fixed later).
So EmptyNest, the TA computer didn't like something that it parsed in your review. They can't tell you what exactly because either (1) they don't know themselves, and/or (2) if they did, then you would (and everyone else presumably) would be able to out-smart their computer, and they don't want that..
Harborfields said:
So EmptyNest, the TA computer didn't like something that it parsed in your review. They can't tell you what exactly because either (1) they don't know themselves, and/or (2) if they did, then you would (and everyone else presumably) would be able to out-smart their computer, and they don't want that.
WOW! Very informative post! Thanks!

So EmptyNest, the TA computer didn't like something that it parsed in your review. They can't tell you what exactly because either (1) they don't know themselves, and/or (2) if they did, then you would (and everyone else presumably) would be able to out-smart their computer, and they don't want that..
Harborfields said:
WOW! Very informative post! Thanks!
Ok, so maybe there is a little bit of hyperbole in my description (I just double checked the TA careers site), but the nuggets are all there -- the emphasis on web engineering, the puzzles, and the "Speed WIns!" mantra. But programming is not the only job they are looking to fill, and you don't necessarily have to solve the puzzles to get to the application.

I was reading TA reviews for a resort in the Caribbean. They get great reviews with a smattering of negatives as usual. One review on there was very harsh and critical and gave them a value of 2. Here's the kicker...the reviewer had won the stay and was staying for free! It just doesn't make sense.

I assumed everyone rated value on what "they would have paid" versus what they did. The reviews wouldn't make sense if that column was adjusted for what you did pay. You would have to read every review and figure out what they paid versus the value rating and then look at if you are paying full price or not to see if that rating was a plus or not.

I assumed everyone rated value on what "they would have paid" versus what they did. The reviews wouldn't make sense if that column was adjusted for what you did pay. You would have to read every review and figure out what they paid versus the value rating and then look at if you are paying full price or not to see if that rating was a plus or not..
toddburme said:
I assumed everyone rated value on what "they would have paid" versus what they did. The reviews wouldn't make sense if that column was adjusted for what you did pay. You would have to read every review and figure out what they paid versus the value rating and then look at if you are paying full price or not to see if that rating was a plus or not.
YES!
So if someone got a night free would the value not be much higher than the person who PAID FULL ROOM RATE? Surely so. We are talking about V A L U E. I get what you are saying, but the VALUE WAS MUCH GREATER!! :)
If you gave me a free smoked pork bbq dinner and all the fixin's I sure would review you and thank you and love you. I wouldn't say "Well the value wasn't very good" and mark you down. The value could NOT have been better.
Of course we don't know what people paid, but in the two examples I gave WE DO KNOW.
Should it be the same for someone here on a gift certificate? Not many people review, so it is almost a moot point, but those who did, and got a free night, should not mark less bubbles for value.
With the BnBforvets thing, just like the BOGO from Stash Tea or any other promotion where guests assume we/the inn are being reimbursed. They are not thankful to the inn, they are thankful to the program. Which, as we know, isn't the case.

I assumed everyone rated value on what "they would have paid" versus what they did. The reviews wouldn't make sense if that column was adjusted for what you did pay. You would have to read every review and figure out what they paid versus the value rating and then look at if you are paying full price or not to see if that rating was a plus or not..
The problem is that it's perceived value. So if you are looking online for a room in rural MN and 1* and 2* hotels on h0tw!re come back as $35-$40 a night and then you compare this to a room in NYC where the same dates and the same reservation system comes back with rooms for $129-$139, the guy from rural MN might rate your "value" as very low.
It's a meaningless statistic...
PS: Not a good choice in either case. In NYC you hit $280 before you hit one with 90% happy people. Those it's $55 or so in MN for something that makes 90% of people happy.

toddburme said:
YES!
So if someone got a night free would the value not be much higher than the person who PAID FULL ROOM RATE? Surely so. We are talking about V A L U E. I get what you are saying, but the VALUE WAS MUCH GREATER!! :)
If you gave me a free smoked pork bbq dinner and all the fixin's I sure would review you and thank you and love you. I wouldn't say "Well the value wasn't very good" and mark you down. The value could NOT have been better.
Of course we don't know what people paid, but in the two examples I gave WE DO KNOW.
Should it be the same for someone here on a gift certificate? Not many people review, so it is almost a moot point, but those who did, and got a free night, should not mark less bubbles for value.
With the BnBforvets thing, just like the BOGO from Stash Tea or any other promotion where guests assume we/the inn are being reimbursed. They are not thankful to the inn, they are thankful to the program. Which, as we know, isn't the case.
Joey Bloggs said:
We're certain everyone thinks we're just writing this off on our taxes. And most people do not even understand what that means. So, they 'assume' we are getting $1500 BACK from the gov't when we get our tax return. We just do it because we like to. I wish more people understood what it means from the biz side to do this.

Back