The Popeye Principle of destination branding

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The Popeye Principle of destination branding. [/COLOR]http://bit.ly/AeXFpU
(We have spoken about this before, marketing what we really are, not a facade, so visitors experience what they thought they would, not disappointed, this is great advice from one I respect as a re-brander in this industry!)

Excellent advice and very true about the civic leaders who want to oversell the town. They tend to think the "real" town is nothing special, so they want to create an unrealistic view.
The fact is, if you show people what you're really like, then the ones who come will be coming just to see that, and they won't leave disappointed or disillusioned. And they will come, because every town has unique aspects that outsiders enjoy sampling.

As always you find the most insightful and interesting things to share with us. Some really great information! Thank You!!!!

Excellent advice and very true about the civic leaders who want to oversell the town. They tend to think the "real" town is nothing special, so they want to create an unrealistic view.
The fact is, if you show people what you're really like, then the ones who come will be coming just to see that, and they won't leave disappointed or disillusioned. And they will come, because every town has unique aspects that outsiders enjoy sampling..
Arkansawyer said:
The fact is, if you show people what you're really like, then the ones who come will be coming just to see that, and they won't leave disappointed or disillusioned. And they will come, because every town has unique aspects that outsiders enjoy sampling.
I had to chuckle at this. When I came here people said why did you come to Shinnston? Then when I opened the B & B the question was - Who is going to come to Shinnston? Well once I got the word out about what we had - the rail-trail - and that we were the HUB of this area with all the things that are withing 60 miles of (mostly) less, the tune changed.

Back