THE post-Labor Day question...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
"Are these your off season rates?"
Guests are stunned when I tell them off season starts (for me) Nov 1. This is a tough time of year for walk-ins. They ALL think the prices will be (tomorrow) $100 or less. Walk in today thought they might stay tomorrow and asked if the rates go down tomorrow. (And hubs didn't even charge full price, he forgot what the rates were.)

Yeah walk-ins have a hard time sometimes. We charge $250 a night here. Their jaws drop and they move on down the road. Oh well. If they want the bed and breakfast experience they need to pay up! It is a lot of work to do this. I like reservations much better. They have researched and know they want to stay here so I never have a problem with rates when they book ahead.

Yeah walk-ins have a hard time sometimes. We charge $250 a night here. Their jaws drop and they move on down the road. Oh well. If they want the bed and breakfast experience they need to pay up! It is a lot of work to do this. I like reservations much better. They have researched and know they want to stay here so I never have a problem with rates when they book ahead..
oceans said:
Yeah walk-ins have a hard time sometimes. We charge $250 a night here. Their jaws drop and they move on down the road. Oh well. If they want the bed and breakfast experience they need to pay up! It is a lot of work to do this. I like reservations much better. They have researched and know they want to stay here so I never have a problem with rates when they book ahead.
I find the same thing. Advance booking, they know what the score is. Are you actually near an ocean?

Yeah walk-ins have a hard time sometimes. We charge $250 a night here. Their jaws drop and they move on down the road. Oh well. If they want the bed and breakfast experience they need to pay up! It is a lot of work to do this. I like reservations much better. They have researched and know they want to stay here so I never have a problem with rates when they book ahead..
oceans said:
I find the same thing. Advance booking, they know what the score is. Are you actually near an ocean?
Yes across the street from it.

oceans said:
Yes across the street from it.
Which one?

Hopefully, not one that's going to get a scrubbin' this week or next. The tropics are lined up with one storm after another. The map is starting to look like a game of Twister with all the colorful circles.
We head back into "the hole" tomorrow for I don't know how long. It is spectulated that Ike could be a Cat 4 by the time it reaches us.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
If that's the case, Tommy Kitty and I leave, head for the nearby building and watch from there.

Hopefully, not one that's going to get a scrubbin' this week or next. The tropics are lined up with one storm after another. The map is starting to look like a game of Twister with all the colorful circles.
We head back into "the hole" tomorrow for I don't know how long. It is spectulated that Ike could be a Cat 4 by the time it reaches us.
If that's the case, Tommy Kitty and I leave, head for the nearby building and watch from there..
Prayers are with you.

If that's the case, Tommy Kitty and I leave, head for the nearby building and watch from there..
Just saw the storms lined up on the map posted by CNN. Yikers! Take care!

yes, our off season rates begin on November 1 as well. OUr on season rates begin on May 1. We are thinking of changing on season rates to begin somewhere around end of May 1st of June. Any advice? Thanks

We also notice that walkins are "shocked" that B&B rates are not in the $55. - $60. range. We are shocked that they are expecting a price like that. We have had poeple ask if we would sell our $245.00 suite for $75.00 ( in July!!) Not even in January would i sell it for that price.

yes, our off season rates begin on November 1 as well. OUr on season rates begin on May 1. We are thinking of changing on season rates to begin somewhere around end of May 1st of June. Any advice? Thanks.
Hey Mollysmom! Want to narrow down where you are located for advice on rates?
If not, that's ok, but what do your bookings look like thru May? That's a good indicator of where the prices could be. How about a 'between season' rate that splits the diff between winter & summer? We did something like that for May & June this year and then raised the rates again in July for the rest of the season (until Nov 1).

We also notice that walkins are "shocked" that B&B rates are not in the $55. - $60. range. We are shocked that they are expecting a price like that. We have had poeple ask if we would sell our $245.00 suite for $75.00 ( in July!!) Not even in January would i sell it for that price..
LOL These are the same people who are shocked when they call on Friday morning to find that you have no openings for that night. :)
Welcome to Innspiring.com

We also notice that walkins are "shocked" that B&B rates are not in the $55. - $60. range. We are shocked that they are expecting a price like that. We have had poeple ask if we would sell our $245.00 suite for $75.00 ( in July!!) Not even in January would i sell it for that price..
LOL These are the same people who are shocked when they call on Friday morning to find that you have no openings for that night. :)
swirt said:
"But you HAAAAAVE to take us . . . the Motel 6 just threw us out, and, and, (sniff), and, you're the last one on the list, and we don't mind puttin' all 8 of us in 1 room . . . . "

what do places in your area do for seasonal rates? i first imitated a couple nearby places that had quiet, shoulder and busy ... but that got really complicated since the rates for each of my rooms are different so i went to two rates.

Welcome, mollysmom!
We have been opened less than a year and decided to wait one calendar cycle to adjust (if needed) our rates, discounts, high/low seasons, etc.
Best of luck.

We never did off season rates either. I don't care when it is...I still have to do the same amount of work, cleaning, cooking etc..so why should I give a discount?? Sorry, that may not go down well with some folks here, but that worked for us and if they don't like it, they can stay somewhere else. The only folks here that do off season rates are the dumpy motels.

Welcome, mollysmom!
We have been opened less than a year and decided to wait one calendar cycle to adjust (if needed) our rates, discounts, high/low seasons, etc.
Best of luck..
Redbirds said:
Welcome, mollysmom!
Yes, welcome to the forum! And welcome Redbirds!
I'm new, too... one year with one room, only a few months running with all four.
=)
Kk.

Jaws were on the floor when the guests asked if this was slow season, I said nooooo, this is our busiest month of the year, we are booked solid! I guess they think once Labor Day hits that's it, everyone shuts down! NOT!
And no seasonal rates here either...Just like breakfast, take it or leave it!

Back