The power is back on...sort of...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Been off the grid all day here. Power went out at 4 AM and just came back on. It got pretty gosh darn chilly in here. Almost as bad as on my vacation where there was no heat on at all in the inn...another story for another day...

We've been wondering how you've been doing. No power stinks. How much snow, or was it all ice?
They were calling for us to get some snow but it was all rain - really hard rain and nasty, but not frozen. I hope it stays on so you can warm up.

We've been wondering how you've been doing. No power stinks. How much snow, or was it all ice?
They were calling for us to get some snow but it was all rain - really hard rain and nasty, but not frozen. I hope it stays on so you can warm up..
All ice. We have one very large branch on the tree over the parking area that is split in half, but still holding together. THAT ought to be an expensive job. Ugh. It's too big for us to do ourselves. I was sort of hoping it would come down on its own, but not likely.
I've warmed up now.
So here's a question...if you were in my shoes, with no power and no indication when it would be back on, given it is winter so no heat is included with no power, would you have called your incoming guests to let them know? They still wanted to come here (even tho a good chunk of the state is shut down) so I gave them the number of a place that had power. But other folks said no, their guests were toughing it out. No heat, no hot water, no lights. I didn't want the stress. But now I wonder if I was stupid to turn the money away.

Just got an automated call saying there is a temporary shelter open in the next town in case we need a place to go tonight. Yowza.

They were calling for us to get some snow but it was all rain - really hard rain and nasty, but not frozen. I hope it stays on so you can warm up..
All ice. We have one very large branch on the tree over the parking area that is split in half, but still holding together. THAT ought to be an expensive job. Ugh. It's too big for us to do ourselves. I was sort of hoping it would come down on its own, but not likely.
I've warmed up now.
So here's a question...if you were in my shoes, with no power and no indication when it would be back on, given it is winter so no heat is included with no power, would you have called your incoming guests to let them know? They still wanted to come here (even tho a good chunk of the state is shut down) so I gave them the number of a place that had power. But other folks said no, their guests were toughing it out. No heat, no hot water, no lights. I didn't want the stress. But now I wonder if I was stupid to turn the money away.
No, I would have called them. We have had three water main breaks here, bad ones, and I've called incoming guests to tell them not to come and made alternative arrangements for guests already here. Maybe lost 5 or 6 room nights with it. I think it was the right thing to do - one couple has even come back.

Glad you're OK...my dh & I were just wondering about our innkeeper friends up there! Stay warm!
I think you did the right thing by calling your guests.

I've warmed up now.
I would also have called my guests as you did. The extra stress on you worrying if they were comfortable would not be worth it. For ourselves we can do things we would never expect others to do. It would be different if they were people who were stranded and you gave shelter - but to have them come INTO a problem situation is foolish.
We had rain that turned to snow to be the top layer for the ice. I had final rehearsal for the Cantata tonight. Left my bari at the church and am VERY glad I did. It and I would have been on my keister had I been carrying it. Still do not know how I remained upright as I went to the car because I slid - actually it was more like SLID!
Stay warm!

Glad you got electric back on.
You did the right thing calling. From my point of view as long as you explain all that no electric means (in our case it means no water) and you offer to let them out of their reservation and offer to find them another place...or at least offer suggestions. I might leave it up to them to decide what they want to do. Some may like it even more. We have people that love the quaintness of our cabins when the electric goes out... though the quaintness wears off a bit after half a day.

You did the right thing calling. From my point of view as long as you explain all that no electric means (in our case it means no water) and you offer to let them out of their reservation and offer to find them another place...or at least offer suggestions. I might leave it up to them to decide what they want to do. Some may like it even more. We have people that love the quaintness of our cabins when the electric goes out... though the quaintness wears off a bit after half a day..
swirt said:
You did the right thing calling. From my point of view as long as you explain all that no electric means (in our case it means no water) and you offer to let them out of their reservation and offer to find them another place...or at least offer suggestions. I might leave it up to them to decide what they want to do. Some may like it even more. We have people that love the quaintness of our cabins when the electric goes out... though the quaintness wears off a bit after half a day.
One place in town, that never lost power, filled up last night. We still have water because we don't have a well. But I just could not take the chance that the building would be down to 40 degrees this morning and they would be miserable.

Back