The prove-it-to-me callers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Something that really gets my goat are the callers who want me to sell it to them over the phone, prove to them why they should stay with us over another B&B. FYI if you recall there aren't other places here - we are not located on a B&B row or anything - I mean there are a few B&B's miles away that are totally different, a mountain retreat totally secluded, waterfront (again a long long drive in and out each time to go anywhere not near amenities etc). As we always state - B&B's are unique.
She then said she would be sending someone by who lives in the area to double check the rooms as she doesn't want something that will be claustrophobic or unacceptable. I told her, "No we would not like you to be claustrophobic either!" I mentioned having this person call first to make sure we are home and #2) there might be guests in the rooms she chooses to see. She didn't like hearing this. She was calling all the shots, not me.
Oh yeah, and of course, I needn't mention she did see the website and wondered what BETTER rates I could give her, since she was thinking of gracing us with her presence.
cry_smile.gif

For the record, I have never ever in my life called any lodging establishment EVER and asked them what better rates could they give me? EVER. What does this say about a guest? She was certainly not the first and won't be the last.
Do we really have secret rates we don't post on our websites? Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but the rooms are really only $25 a night. We just post them online for more.

For the record, I have never ever in my life called any lodging establishment EVER and asked them what better rates could they give me? EVER. What does this say about a guest? She was certainly not the first and won't be the last.
Do we really have secret rates we don't post on our websites? Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but the rooms are really only $25 a night. We just post them online for more..
I am with you. I would NEVER even think of asking such a thing. If the rates are too high for my tastes..then I don't even bother looking further on their site. GHEEZ...I feel a PITA is booking with you....maybe you should be full that night :)

I would be fully occupied for the dates she wants and if I'd already said I had vacancies I would be back tracking and say "oops, looked at the wrong month. I'm fully booked, sorry!"

Do we really have secret rates we don't post on our websites? Shhh! Don't tell anyone, but the rooms are really only $25 a night. We just post them online for more..
Actually I do call and ask if there are any unposted specials, especially if it's at the last minute.
I don't try to bargain them down but I do ask about specials.
Surprisingly often the inn does have a special that's not posted.
Your website is kept up-to-date so any specials you'd have are already up. Many inns, though, aren't so diligent.
So I must admit that I do call and ask if there's no special online that catches my eye.

Oooh I'd suddenly be booked, you betcha. Sounds like a for sure PITA
riki

I hear you, I was thinking the same thing. This is for middle of June, so not a last minute special request.
The truth is I do have a special that is something in another nearby city - it is a color-card they must obtain and if they stay midweek they get the third night free. I don't have it on the website, I have it posted on that Visitor Center/Chamber website as it is a promotion the are offering and we opted in. On our website I have OUR specials and promotions.
Let's say it is like the Stash Tea Promotion or Iloveinns, it is on THOSE websites, not on our own, although we can put them on our own if we wish.
Thanks for the feedback y'all. Red flag guest antenna did go up.
pita.gif
pita.gif
pita.gif

I hate these calls. I wish I could think of more to say about the topic. I can't. I just hate these calls. My guess is that's the last you've heard anyway.

What grinds me are the ones who want to see the rooms to check us out. I understand my locals - especially when we first opened - had no idea what a B & B was and needed to see. One old guy actually stayed at a B & B in PA because of us having one here and brought me back a rack card from the place to show me!
What makes me seethe is that they will go to the front desk of ANY hotel/motel, pay their money and go to the room. But a B & B, they want to see it first to make sure it is nice enough. And WE are supposed to smile sweetly and be honored they are even considering staying here.

What grinds me are the ones who want to see the rooms to check us out. I understand my locals - especially when we first opened - had no idea what a B & B was and needed to see. One old guy actually stayed at a B & B in PA because of us having one here and brought me back a rack card from the place to show me!
What makes me seethe is that they will go to the front desk of ANY hotel/motel, pay their money and go to the room. But a B & B, they want to see it first to make sure it is nice enough. And WE are supposed to smile sweetly and be honored they are even considering staying here..
Actually ....in my younger traveling days...pre Internet...when i would just go somewhere....I would always ask to see the room first before booking in a hotel.
Now I depend on the photos on the websites...which in most cases hopefully will be accurate.

Gillum - What grinds me are the ones who want to see the rooms to check us out. .....[but] they will go to the front desk of ANY hotel/motel, pay their money and go to the room.
Catlady - Now I depend on the photos on the websites...which in most cases hopefully will be accurate.
This in it's self is the problem. They go to a hotel, pay and get the key then if things are not right, feel stuck as they did not feel comfortable asking to see the room first when others are in line to check in as well. But at a B&B it is different, no lines and most importantly no national name that gives one that false feeling of comfort.
And time and time again we have someone stay with us that tells a story about staying at another B&B where the website pictures were anything but accurate. - We have disucssed this on several other threads.

What makes me seethe is that they will go to the front desk of ANY hotel/motel, pay their money and go to the room. But a B & B, they want to see it first to make sure it is nice enough. And WE are supposed to smile sweetly and be honored they are even considering staying here..
I would never take offense at this. Especially if we have another room open and someone wants to see if there is another room that they might like better, despite having booked a room after seeing them online. All of our rooms are different, so you never know.
When you stay at hotels, they're pretty much cookie-cutter and you know what you're getting. If the room isn't up to par, we trot ourselves back to the desk and ask for another room.

oops...posted twice with a weird format.

I just saw a place in Durham with awful reviews and then there is the website:
http://www.bloominggardeninn.com/The%20First%20Floor.htm
link is removed cut n paste. TA said it is in a ghetto, with boarded up houses and to avoid it.
There is another inn nearby Duke which is astonishingly beautiful, the website has all the bells and whistles too. Lovely reviews, lovely place. Very inviting - link removed cut n paste and view the VAST differences:
http://www.thekingsdaughtersinn.com/accommodations/rooms-rates/

link is removed cut n paste. TA said it is in a ghetto, with boarded up houses and to avoid it.
There is another inn nearby Duke which is astonishingly beautiful, the website has all the bells and whistles too. Lovely reviews, lovely place. Very inviting - link removed cut n paste and view the VAST differences:
http://www.thekingsdaughtersinn.com/accommodations/rooms-rates/.
Two things caught my eye:
  1. For the first place, of the six main navigation buttons on their website, one is reserved for their cancellation policy.
  2. At the second inn, bicycles are available for guests' use without charge.

http://www.thekingsdaughtersinn.com/accommodations/rooms-rates/.
Two things caught my eye:
  1. For the first place, of the six main navigation buttons on their website, one is reserved for their cancellation policy.
  2. At the second inn, bicycles are available for guests' use without charge.
I knew you would see that! (The bicycle part) :)

for me .... it's all in the attitude. saying they want to send someone to view the rooms to be sure they aren't 'claustrophobic or unnacceptable' ... well, that doesn't sound very nice, does it?
yes, hotels and b&b's are different. but i have found that people assume there is a LOT less work involved with a b&b. that innkeepers are mostly casual with an open door policy. people don't realize an innkeeper might do most or all of the work without staff and has LESS time to be showing rooms than the front desk clerk at a hotel ... if they even WOULD show you a room.
i guess that's why the staying public like reviews ... because pictures can be deceiving. but, at some point, the guest has to trust that the place is what the innkeeper says it is.

for me .... it's all in the attitude. saying they want to send someone to view the rooms to be sure they aren't 'claustrophobic or unnacceptable' ... well, that doesn't sound very nice, does it?
yes, hotels and b&b's are different. but i have found that people assume there is a LOT less work involved with a b&b. that innkeepers are mostly casual with an open door policy. people don't realize an innkeeper might do most or all of the work without staff and has LESS time to be showing rooms than the front desk clerk at a hotel ... if they even WOULD show you a room.
i guess that's why the staying public like reviews ... because pictures can be deceiving. but, at some point, the guest has to trust that the place is what the innkeeper says it is..
Yeah, that 'open door' thing hit today. Guest is telling me the time they will be arriving while I am telling him I guarantee the guest I will be here between these hours. He was dumbfounded. 'You won't be there at noon? Why not?'

Back