The Psychology of Business Card Design

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the 2-side printable card stock and do my biz cards as needed. (I can also do my City cards with one job on each side) I have my logo and contact info on one side (text ink the same color as my logo - a line drawing by my DH) and on the back - again with my logo - I have my tag line and bullet points of what we do. When I give the card, I point out the front just has our contact info, the back is the important side as it tells what we do.

Of course, I made up my cards 10 years ago and have never changed them. Comic Sans. I should be shot. And I redid the rack cards in the wrong color. Sigh.
The biz cards are getting low. I should rethink them.

And, not that anyone asked, I was intrigued by the 'I'm not a doctor' example until I started reading the keywords. They should have picked a word type and stuck with it. Switching from adjectives to verbs to nouns is annoying.

I also do design my own business cards, but it never crossed my mind that there some psychology behind them. Usually I have QuikPrintonline.com print them, but there were times when I did even that myself and my business is flourishing. I think as long as your clients are satisfied any kind of business card will do, as long as you keep it clear your clients will have no difficulty in reaching you.

We have a color photo, logo and contact information on the front of our cards and a QR code for our URL and list of amenities on the back.

Timely - how did you know???.
I just designed some for a couple of places. I used the back fo QR code for their website and oneto do a trip advisor review. They don't use facebk or I would have done that too.
full color photo of inns with great scenery shot. they love them:-

For us the vast majority of cards are taken by people checking out so, it's our business that sell our business cards, not the other way around. If people didn't want to remember us, or tell others they wouldn't take the cards.
Example: Last week we had a couple staying from Australia. She told us she was having a casual chat with a stranger in a cafe back home, told her she was coming to Scotland / Loc hnes s, the other lady said "Oh, you have to stay at xxx" and produced one of our cards out of her handbag.
I can't think of any situation where our cards sell our business, so as long as they look reasonably professional and serve the purpose (ie. you can ready the text), clever designs with oodles of marketing physcology behind them are not worth worrying about.

I agree with Highlands John 100%. If people don't like you they don't want to do business with you. It doesn't matter what psycho magical tricks you put on a business card. Business cards a quick way to give your customers your contact details. Nothing more, nothing less.

In many ways a good designed business card replaces the need to carry brochures around. Wish they could completely replace them but tourist centers still need them, that is until they area totally replaced with kiosk technology which I see happening over the next few years. Forcing those young and old to jump into today's tech world.

Back