The quandary of emotional blackmail

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i'm reading this right, that's exactly the kind of thing that could turn around and bite you. it's dirty. not recommended or endorsed by me.
no matter how tempting.
devil_smile.gif

Yes, but it would take you more time to track them down and not worth wasting your time. Gheeze...what nerve!.
Sometimes it's not that hard finding out where they went...we've had a few times where the guests have bragged to the innkeeper about how they talked us out of the cancel fee by saying there was a death in the family (yuk yuk) only to have THAT innkeeper tell me. There's a lot of emotional baggage that goes along with being 'taken.'
KNOWING the guest lied and then bragged about it is pretty draining.

Yes, but it would take you more time to track them down and not worth wasting your time. Gheeze...what nerve!.
Sometimes it's not that hard finding out where they went...we've had a few times where the guests have bragged to the innkeeper about how they talked us out of the cancel fee by saying there was a death in the family (yuk yuk) only to have THAT innkeeper tell me. There's a lot of emotional baggage that goes along with being 'taken.'
bragging to another innkeeper about fooling you????? OH MY..now that bites!!! Someone who would do that deserves something.
ghostsmiley.gif

bragging to another innkeeper about fooling you????? OH MY..now that bites!!! Someone who would do that deserves something.
ghostsmiley.gif

See, that's why Sharpe's answer to the problem, if we were all reading that correctly, piqued my interest. Of course I wouldn't DO anything like that, but it seems like an interesting resolution for someone (like me) who's been 'had.'

ghostsmiley.gif

See, that's why Sharpe's answer to the problem, if we were all reading that correctly, piqued my interest. Of course I wouldn't DO anything like that, but it seems like an interesting resolution for someone (like me) who's been 'had.'
just imagine the potential public relations damage and ramifications if she/he were found out. soooo not worth it.

This was interesting reading from Howard Levitan's (Quantum Hospitality) Blog. I especially liked the resulting comments from Eric Goldreyer, April from TripAdvisor, Innkeepers and others.
Do Cancellation Policies Hurt Bed and Breakfasts? .
Normally, we don't take deposits and we have a one week cancellation policy but we don't charge if we can rebook the room. We're pretty flexible and in six years here, we've only had a handful of charges most of which were accepted amicably by the other parties.
But for ten days in August, rooms are over subscribed and scarse as hen's teeth. We learned quickly to take a non-refundable one night deposit and increase the cancellation to two weeks because we would get booked up a year in advance and then face rebooking our rooms the day the cancellation policy kicked in. As it is, we still have to rebook rooms three or four times as corporate groups pull out.
Last year, with four rooms booked seven months in advance, I got the phone call. But this time they wanted their deposit on the four rooms back as well. I explained our policy which they had signed up to but they threatened me with the 1000 lb gorilla and were very very nasty. Long story short... I caved and refunded their card. Life is too short. I knew that I could rebook the rooms anyway.
But I suspected they had found another cheaper accommodation provider and one phone call to the big budget chain hotel/motel down the road proved my point. I cancelled their booking after 4 pm on their day of arrival using the contact details that they had provided me with. The budget hotel even provided me with a cancellation number.
Sharpe I hope you will remove this from the forum. This is an open forum open to not just innkeepers and aspirings but the entire world. It is not very difficult to track down a member on this forum to their real address/name/B&B. Please consider this. Perhaps we are reading this incorrectly, I sure hope so, I am not sure what the legal ramifications would be for you in your country, but I am sure there are laws against it.

sharpe ~ please clarify ~ are you saying YOU cancelled their reservation with the budget hotel?.
Well, for sheer chutzpah, that takes the prize. I'm kind of in awe. And wishing I had the nerve. I know this happens to us as well, place holders keep looking for the cheaper room.

This was interesting reading from Howard Levitan's (Quantum Hospitality) Blog. I especially liked the resulting comments from Eric Goldreyer, April from TripAdvisor, Innkeepers and others.
Normally, we don't take deposits and we have a one week cancellation policy but we don't charge if we can rebook the room. We're pretty flexible and in six years here, we've only had a handful of charges most of which were accepted amicably by the other parties.
But for ten days in August, rooms are over subscribed and scarse as hen's teeth. We learned quickly to take a non-refundable one night deposit and increase the cancellation to two weeks because we would get booked up a year in advance and then face rebooking our rooms the day the cancellation policy kicked in. As it is, we still have to rebook rooms three or four times as corporate groups pull out.
Last year, with four rooms booked seven months in advance, I got the phone call. But this time they wanted their deposit on the four rooms back as well. I explained our policy which they had signed up to but they threatened me with the 1000 lb gorilla and were very very nasty. Long story short... I caved and refunded their card. Life is too short. I knew that I could rebook the rooms anyway.
But I suspected they had found another cheaper accommodation provider and one phone call to the big budget chain hotel/motel down the road proved my point. I cancelled their booking after 4 pm on their day of arrival using the contact details that they had provided me with. The budget hotel even provided me with a cancellation number.
I cancelled their booking after 4 pm on their day of arrival using the contact details that they had provided me with. The budget hotel even provided me with a cancellation number.
Sorry, but that is just NOT a practice anyone in the 'hospitality' business should do... I can understand THINKING about it but DOING it is something else entirely.
Sharpe, one thing you should think about since you do get group bookings so far in advance is to have a large (not just one room night) deposit which becomes NON-REFUNDABLE 3,4 or even 6 months (based on the demand during booking) prior to check in... Vacation rental properties do this for peak periods. Instead of getting even, use the education to make your policy work better for YOU.

Hope nothing comes of the threat but I was thinking about this. Even if you have a Google alert set up it won't tell you about TA reviews or anything else unless your inn name is mentioned in the review..
Well there is nothing posted so far on her TA listing...so much for being trashed on line in 48 hours.
catlady said:
Well there is nothing posted so far on her TA listing...so much for being trashed on line in 48 hours.
Wondering how old the person was, assuming 20-30 something and figuring 'trashing' might take on the Twitter, blogging & FB crowd as well as other review sites besides TA.
I've seen a couple of scathing blogs about lodging places that show up if you search on the inn itself. Those don't die or get buried and you can't really respond to them on the writer's turf.
A few years ago we had a young couple book in for a night. I discovered - because someone looked at my web site from it - that they had blogged about us. I was described as the elderly rotund innkeeper. Boy! did that rock me! I am NOT elederly - old I admit to but elderly is ancient! And I am not rotund 0 I am much taller than wide!

Hope nothing comes of the threat but I was thinking about this. Even if you have a Google alert set up it won't tell you about TA reviews or anything else unless your inn name is mentioned in the review..
catlady said:
Wondering how old the person was, assuming 20-30 something and figuring 'trashing' might take on the Twitter, blogging & FB crowd as well as other review sites besides TA.
I've seen a couple of scathing blogs about lodging places that show up if you search on the inn itself. Those don't die or get buried and you can't really respond to them on the writer's turf.
A few years ago we had a young couple book in for a night. I discovered - because someone looked at my web site from it - that they had blogged about us. I was described as the elderly rotund innkeeper. Boy! did that rock me! I am NOT elederly - old I admit to but elderly is ancient! And I am not rotund 0 I am much taller than wide!
wink_smile.gif

For FD: What happened? Did you rebook? Did you charge him? Did you hear back at all?

"This was interesting reading from Howard Levitan's (Quantum Hospitality) Blog. I especially liked the resulting comments from Eric Goldreyer, April from TripAdvisor, Innkeepers and others.
Do Cancellation Policies Hurt Bed and Breakfasts?"
Little Blue-May I ask about that? What did you like about Eric's comments?

Do Cancellation Policies Hurt Bed and Breakfasts? [FONT= &quot]"Then again, several Tweets seemed to feel that a strict policy on its own may drive business from the Inn. [/FONT]In other words, guests who really wanted to make a reservation, might hold off from doing so if they were a little uncertain as to whether they could really make it to the Inn. In today’s world of economic worry, stress and high pressure jobs, with people working longer hours and not taking their full vacation time, it is clearly understandable why strict cancellation policies might be actually stopping people from making reservations in the first place. "
Exactly why I have my cancellation policy as I do.... I do NOT want people blocking my rooms who are toying with the idea of a get-a-way or vacation and any whim will distract them... I want those that ARE planning to make it to the Inn.

Plans change. Stuff Happens. Then you book a hotel so you can make changes when you need to...charging a $45 cancellation fee to cancel at any time - even 1 month in advance, is not good, it is NOT bringing in bookings, I can promise you that.
This has gone far off track from some rude pig abusing the innkeeper over being charged when he should be charged. But just want to remind everyone - PLANS CHANGE. STUFF HAPPENS.
Innkeepers need to hit the road, plan a road trip and then go and might appreciate some of the circumstances guests fall into while travelling. We just want them to follow the rules to a t. I am fine as long as they can call and say "Change in plans, won't be there til 10pm."

I just had the reverse. A donated package - 2-nights, packed lunch, dinner booked in to arrive Friday. They called to let me know they had stopped off to see something interesting but were on their way - well withing my published check-in. Between that call and their arrival DH does another I want to go to the ER. Tried to call gest - out of cell - so I write a note to put on door as to where the room was (I turned on lights to welcome and let them know which room) and as I go to tape it to the door they arrive. So I take them up, show where the thermostats are if they need to adjust the heat, tell where the extra pillows are, please leave me a note with what time you want breakfast, and we leave.
In the morning, although I assured him this was nothing new and did not affect their stay although I asked if they would mind if I packed their lunch for on the way home Sunday because the bread was a new recipe that did not turn out the way that satisfied me and I needed to make a different batch, he told me she was really not feeling well and they were going home. We sat and talked until 1. They said they will be coming back. When they do, I guarantee you they will be getting a packed lunch and a dinner. HE was upset that they were putting me out by leaving because I had made all the preparations....
Dang, I get nice guests!

"This was interesting reading from Howard Levitan's (Quantum Hospitality) Blog. I especially liked the resulting comments from Eric Goldreyer, April from TripAdvisor, Innkeepers and others.
I almost hate to answer your question, KNKBNB, because although I speak only for myself, I'm sure the majority of you will disagree and try to show me the error of my ways.
I liked that Eric did comment (you see bb.com making an effort everywhere...I've never seen anyone from bbonline discuss these types of things...in any format. I get the impression that they will never change, never innovate, and just keep collecting the checks). I even like that Eric challenges innkeeper thinking about policies. It seems to me that far too many places set their policies and then NEVER adjust them. It even becomes a matter of pride for some innkeepers that they are overly strict. If guests complain, then the guest is in the wrong, and considered ungrateful and not worthy of what's being offered.

He said:
"My concern is that having seen a fair amount of innkeeper cax policies over the years, I am certain that there are some properties that are losing more revenue because they have a very heavy cax policy and if they would lighten it up a little, they would undoubtedly get more reservations."
I agree that can be the case. Our area's newest Inn (a brand new build) just had their first full summer. He has a crappy non-informational website and a 14 day cancellation policy...he wanted a 30 day policy and I talked him out of it. His rooms are absolutely beautiful, huge, stuffed with all possible amenities and woefully underpriced. He's in the coolest town just steps from National Geographics "third most beautiful lake in the world". Yet, he was not as busy as he should have been, and I feel that his 14 day policy in the midst of a dozen other Inns ALL with 7-day policies (and that hideous website) caused him to have a far poorer summer than he could have had. Once his reputation and clientele become established, THEN he can adjust his policies to his own advantage.
For us, even our seven days notice rarely results in a rebooking. I think that stringent cancellation, check in and checkout policies is a large part of what stops the majority of the traveling public from booking with a B&B. I have toyed with the idea of different cancellation policies for different types of the year. Given my location relative to winter sports, I think a shorter winter cancellation period would help my advance bookings...weather is always a concern when you head into Northern Michigan in the dead of winter!
There has to be a fair balance between protecting ourselves and alienating guests with overly restrictive rules and policies if more travelers are going to be convinced to try B&B over the ever-convenient and lenient chain hotels. Though they might give us a feeling of control and peace of mind, I wonder sometimes if the restrictive policies are doing us more harm than good as an industry.

I almost hate to answer your question, KNKBNB, because although I speak only for myself, I'm sure the majority of you will disagree and try to show me the error of my ways.
I liked that Eric did comment (you see bb.com making an effort everywhere...I've never seen anyone from bbonline discuss these types of things...in any format. I get the impression that they will never change, never innovate, and just keep collecting the checks). I even like that Eric challenges innkeeper thinking about policies. It seems to me that far too many places set their policies and then NEVER adjust them. It even becomes a matter of pride for some innkeepers that they are overly strict. If guests complain, then the guest is in the wrong, and considered ungrateful and not worthy of what's being offered.

He said:
"My concern is that having seen a fair amount of innkeeper cax policies over the years, I am certain that there are some properties that are losing more revenue because they have a very heavy cax policy and if they would lighten it up a little, they would undoubtedly get more reservations."
I agree that can be the case. Our area's newest Inn (a brand new build) just had their first full summer. He has a crappy non-informational website and a 14 day cancellation policy...he wanted a 30 day policy and I talked him out of it. His rooms are absolutely beautiful, huge, stuffed with all possible amenities and woefully underpriced. He's in the coolest town just steps from National Geographics "third most beautiful lake in the world". Yet, he was not as busy as he should have been, and I feel that his 14 day policy in the midst of a dozen other Inns ALL with 7-day policies (and that hideous website) caused him to have a far poorer summer than he could have had. Once his reputation and clientele become established, THEN he can adjust his policies to his own advantage.
For us, even our seven days notice rarely results in a rebooking. I think that stringent cancellation, check in and checkout policies is a large part of what stops the majority of the traveling public from booking with a B&B. I have toyed with the idea of different cancellation policies for different types of the year. Given my location relative to winter sports, I think a shorter winter cancellation period would help my advance bookings...weather is always a concern when you head into Northern Michigan in the dead of winter!
There has to be a fair balance between protecting ourselves and alienating guests with overly restrictive rules and policies if more travelers are going to be convinced to try B&B over the ever-convenient and lenient chain hotels. Though they might give us a feeling of control and peace of mind, I wonder sometimes if the restrictive policies are doing us more harm than good as an industry.
Little Blue said:
LittleBlue, I think you really hit the nail on the head here. When I'm advising an inn that I see has restrictive booking policies, what I always hear from the innkeeper is that they won't have control of their inn if they shorten/ease the existing policy.
And they mean it, even if there is nothing to indicate that it would be true.
What I generally see in those situations is a fear that's based not on past experience, but from having that message reinforced by other innkeepers: the fear that guests will walk all over them if given half a chance.
Needless to say, I think most guests are delightful and respectful and won't do that. Whenever I've loosened the policies, the result has been more reservations - not more cancellations.
I think there is nothing that hurts the B&B industry more than the predominance of restrictive booking policies. IMHO.

He said:
As someone who regularly gets unfillable last minute cancellations, I would rather not have those people book. If the 7 day policy keeps 90% of them away from here, then that's good. It allows the person who wants a room to get a room.
I know there are areas & B&B's that have a low volume of cancellations, this is not one of them. Lots of my comp will email on a Sat morning to let me know they just got a cancel for that night. This happens pretty much every weekend. It happens to the places with the 7 day cancel policy, the places with the 14 day cancel policy, the places that have a cancellation charge, the places with no charges.
It does take some experience to get a proper policy for the location you're in. We started with a 2 week cancel policy. Then we went to a one week policy. The majority of our cancels are inside the week or just at the 8-9 day mark. Placeholders. They held rooms everywhere and then picked which B&B/hotel they wanted. I know this happens because sometimes I'M the place they decide to take. And they are happy to tell me (that they are gracing us with their presence) by letting me know they cancelled elsewhere to stay with us!
So in going from 2 weeks to 1 week, what we did to ourselves was make it harder to rebook. Some places are down to 4 days. In high volume areas it can be as high as a month.
Hotels and B&B's are not comparable for cancellation policies. If hotel X loses one room night at 6 PM, they have lost (around here) 1% of their revenue for that night. I've lost 15%. Some B&B's it can be 33%.
And I say it that way because I don't know any local B&B's who actually charge the guest for the lost revenue.
It's nice that Eric takes an interest in B&B polices. It would be nicer if he ran a small 7 room B&B for a month in the summer and had to realistically deal with what he's talking about. It's easy to say what should be done when you don't have to do it. (Heck, I do that all the time!)
BTW, there are posters on here from bbonline.
As to leniency in the winter...I saw an interesting policy I wanted to copy...'The no worries snow policy' if you cancel due to snow, you can use the deposit at anytime before the end of April. That seems reasonable.

I just had the reverse. A donated package - 2-nights, packed lunch, dinner booked in to arrive Friday. They called to let me know they had stopped off to see something interesting but were on their way - well withing my published check-in. Between that call and their arrival DH does another I want to go to the ER. Tried to call gest - out of cell - so I write a note to put on door as to where the room was (I turned on lights to welcome and let them know which room) and as I go to tape it to the door they arrive. So I take them up, show where the thermostats are if they need to adjust the heat, tell where the extra pillows are, please leave me a note with what time you want breakfast, and we leave.
In the morning, although I assured him this was nothing new and did not affect their stay although I asked if they would mind if I packed their lunch for on the way home Sunday because the bread was a new recipe that did not turn out the way that satisfied me and I needed to make a different batch, he told me she was really not feeling well and they were going home. We sat and talked until 1. They said they will be coming back. When they do, I guarantee you they will be getting a packed lunch and a dinner. HE was upset that they were putting me out by leaving because I had made all the preparations....
Dang, I get nice guests!.
I believe nice Innkeepers generally attract nice people. Treat people with the same kindness you would like to have bestowed upon yourself. Put yourself in others shoes once in a while - you might be surprised how differently you react. And like JB said, go out and travel - stuff happens beyond our control sometimes.
My advice to the original question would have been to just let the guy rant, then calmly say "I am sorry that your wedding is not going to work out the way you planned. Perhaps you need to take a few days to regroup and then call me - I would be willing to hold this deposit for you for a year and you can apply it to a future stay. Maybe things will work out with "x" - if not is there someone you would like to give a gift of a B&B stay to?" (Someone who might have put a lot of energy into planning this wedding also)

He said:
Well I for one am glad you answered. I really wanted to know. I am always very curious about how to strike the balance between the model we know is successful for hotels and the model that CAN be successful for bed and breakfasts. I like seeing and hearing how the industry folks are approaching this.
Industry execs side a bit towards the hotel side of things IMHO. Head in beds and all that. That is not a bad thing, but I often hedge when the model is applied to someone like us, with 4 suites. We lean more towards a "slow money" way of thinking, where the bottom line is a combination of profit, people, and pleasure. Maximizing profits is only a part of our formula, and that makes it hard for the industry to qualify and quantify the product (Us) they sell.
As you can imagine, Hawaii has it easier and harder regarding cancellations. In certain areas away from population centers, we have less walk-in and last minute bookers. That can be good since it steadies business. You can usually count on folks showing up as planned. Of course, if they don't, you are often stuck with a big hole in your schedule. Yet we know softer helps people book. What to do? We have tried to soften our 14 day no-refund (common here) policy by offering a 100% credit for 12 months. It is mostly a psychological thing, but we did use it once. The guests had a family health crisis. They paid for their room and rebooked a few months later.

Back