The quandary of emotional blackmail

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LB wrote: "I wonder sometimes if the restrictive policies are doing us more harm than good as an industry."
Don't wonder. You know the answer.
I can't get my mind around those super prohibitive penalizing policies. The ONLY reason I can see using those is if you are like travelocity or the many others online where you PREPAY IN FULL and get 25% (insert whatever amount) discount vs the going rate.
You have various rates for the same room: AAA, AARP, MILITARY, CORP and then PREPAY IN FULL with NO CANCELLATION or A STEEP CANCELLATION POLICY that INCURR FEES/PENALTIES.
I say stick by your policies unless it causes you too much grief, then by all means change them, make them something YOU can live with. That is what it is all about. When we bought this place like mentioned it was more of an event spot with few overnight guests - from all I have been able to piece together, so the cancellation period was 48hrs. There was no way I could live with that, so changed it to 7 days which I find to be "reasonable." That is all I am saying, reasonable. If 14 days is standard in your area - go with that. When in Rome.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

This was interesting reading from Howard Levitan's (Quantum Hospitality) Blog. I especially liked the resulting comments from Eric Goldreyer, April from TripAdvisor, Innkeepers and others.
Do Cancellation Policies Hurt Bed and Breakfasts? .
"This was interesting reading from Howard Levitan's (Quantum Hospitality) Blog. I especially liked the resulting comments from Eric Goldreyer, April from TripAdvisor, Innkeepers and others.
Do Cancellation Policies Hurt Bed and Breakfasts?"
Little Blue-May I ask about that? What did you like about Eric's comments?
I almost hate to answer your question, KNKBNB, because although I speak only for myself, I'm sure the majority of you will disagree and try to show me the error of my ways.
I liked that Eric did comment (you see bb.com making an effort everywhere...I've never seen anyone from bbonline discuss these types of things...in any format. I get the impression that they will never change, never innovate, and just keep collecting the checks). I even like that Eric challenges innkeeper thinking about policies. It seems to me that far too many places set their policies and then NEVER adjust them. It even becomes a matter of pride for some innkeepers that they are overly strict. If guests complain, then the guest is in the wrong, and considered ungrateful and not worthy of what's being offered.

He said:
"My concern is that having seen a fair amount of innkeeper cax policies over the years, I am certain that there are some properties that are losing more revenue because they have a very heavy cax policy and if they would lighten it up a little, they would undoubtedly get more reservations."
I agree that can be the case. Our area's newest Inn (a brand new build) just had their first full summer. He has a crappy non-informational website and a 14 day cancellation policy...he wanted a 30 day policy and I talked him out of it. His rooms are absolutely beautiful, huge, stuffed with all possible amenities and woefully underpriced. He's in the coolest town just steps from National Geographics "third most beautiful lake in the world". Yet, he was not as busy as he should have been, and I feel that his 14 day policy in the midst of a dozen other Inns ALL with 7-day policies (and that hideous website) caused him to have a far poorer summer than he could have had. Once his reputation and clientele become established, THEN he can adjust his policies to his own advantage.
For us, even our seven days notice rarely results in a rebooking. I think that stringent cancellation, check in and checkout policies is a large part of what stops the majority of the traveling public from booking with a B&B. I have toyed with the idea of different cancellation policies for different types of the year. Given my location relative to winter sports, I think a shorter winter cancellation period would help my advance bookings...weather is always a concern when you head into Northern Michigan in the dead of winter!
There has to be a fair balance between protecting ourselves and alienating guests with overly restrictive rules and policies if more travelers are going to be convinced to try B&B over the ever-convenient and lenient chain hotels. Though they might give us a feeling of control and peace of mind, I wonder sometimes if the restrictive policies are doing us more harm than good as an industry.
Well I for one am glad you answered. I really wanted to know. I am always very curious about how to strike the balance between the model we know is successful for hotels and the model that CAN be successful for bed and breakfasts. I like seeing and hearing how the industry folks are approaching this.
Industry execs side a bit towards the hotel side of things IMHO. Head in beds and all that. That is not a bad thing, but I often hedge when the model is applied to someone like us, with 4 suites. We lean more towards a "slow money" way of thinking, where the bottom line is a combination of profit, people, and pleasure. Maximizing profits is only a part of our formula, and that makes it hard for the industry to qualify and quantify the product (Us) they sell.
As you can imagine, Hawaii has it easier and harder regarding cancellations. In certain areas away from population centers, we have less walk-in and last minute bookers. That can be good since it steadies business. You can usually count on folks showing up as planned. Of course, if they don't, you are often stuck with a big hole in your schedule. Yet we know softer helps people book. What to do? We have tried to soften our 14 day no-refund (common here) policy by offering a 100% credit for 12 months. It is mostly a psychological thing, but we did use it once. The guests had a family health crisis. They paid for their room and rebooked a few months later.
I have always had a 48 hour cancel policy. What i have done is make it a full reservation charge if cancelled less than 48 hours because I do a lot of packages that include a dinner (extra purchases) and if there are horses involved the full charge includes the stable fee.
For holiday packages - like the 18th century thanksgiving it is a 15 day policy and likewise for events such as MountainFest. During the winter with the horses and possibility of really bad weather I have said that if they cannot come due to weather I will only charge the stable fee - I do not want to lose that stable privilege.

This was interesting reading from Howard Levitan's (Quantum Hospitality) Blog. I especially liked the resulting comments from Eric Goldreyer, April from TripAdvisor, Innkeepers and others.
"This was interesting reading from Howard Levitan's (Quantum Hospitality) Blog. I especially liked the resulting comments from Eric Goldreyer, April from TripAdvisor, Innkeepers and others.
I almost hate to answer your question, KNKBNB, because although I speak only for myself, I'm sure the majority of you will disagree and try to show me the error of my ways.
I liked that Eric did comment (you see bb.com making an effort everywhere...I've never seen anyone from bbonline discuss these types of things...in any format. I get the impression that they will never change, never innovate, and just keep collecting the checks). I even like that Eric challenges innkeeper thinking about policies. It seems to me that far too many places set their policies and then NEVER adjust them. It even becomes a matter of pride for some innkeepers that they are overly strict. If guests complain, then the guest is in the wrong, and considered ungrateful and not worthy of what's being offered.

He said:
"My concern is that having seen a fair amount of innkeeper cax policies over the years, I am certain that there are some properties that are losing more revenue because they have a very heavy cax policy and if they would lighten it up a little, they would undoubtedly get more reservations."
I agree that can be the case. Our area's newest Inn (a brand new build) just had their first full summer. He has a crappy non-informational website and a 14 day cancellation policy...he wanted a 30 day policy and I talked him out of it. His rooms are absolutely beautiful, huge, stuffed with all possible amenities and woefully underpriced. He's in the coolest town just steps from National Geographics "third most beautiful lake in the world". Yet, he was not as busy as he should have been, and I feel that his 14 day policy in the midst of a dozen other Inns ALL with 7-day policies (and that hideous website) caused him to have a far poorer summer than he could have had. Once his reputation and clientele become established, THEN he can adjust his policies to his own advantage.
For us, even our seven days notice rarely results in a rebooking. I think that stringent cancellation, check in and checkout policies is a large part of what stops the majority of the traveling public from booking with a B&B. I have toyed with the idea of different cancellation policies for different types of the year. Given my location relative to winter sports, I think a shorter winter cancellation period would help my advance bookings...weather is always a concern when you head into Northern Michigan in the dead of winter!
There has to be a fair balance between protecting ourselves and alienating guests with overly restrictive rules and policies if more travelers are going to be convinced to try B&B over the ever-convenient and lenient chain hotels. Though they might give us a feeling of control and peace of mind, I wonder sometimes if the restrictive policies are doing us more harm than good as an industry.
As someone who regularly gets unfillable last minute cancellations, I would rather not have those people book. If the 7 day policy keeps 90% of them away from here, then that's good. It allows the person who wants a room to get a room.
I know there are areas & B&B's that have a low volume of cancellations, this is not one of them. Lots of my comp will email on a Sat morning to let me know they just got a cancel for that night. This happens pretty much every weekend. It happens to the places with the 7 day cancel policy, the places with the 14 day cancel policy, the places that have a cancellation charge, the places with no charges.
It does take some experience to get a proper policy for the location you're in. We started with a 2 week cancel policy. Then we went to a one week policy. The majority of our cancels are inside the week or just at the 8-9 day mark. Placeholders. They held rooms everywhere and then picked which B&B/hotel they wanted. I know this happens because sometimes I'M the place they decide to take. And they are happy to tell me (that they are gracing us with their presence) by letting me know they cancelled elsewhere to stay with us!
So in going from 2 weeks to 1 week, what we did to ourselves was make it harder to rebook. Some places are down to 4 days. In high volume areas it can be as high as a month.
Hotels and B&B's are not comparable for cancellation policies. If hotel X loses one room night at 6 PM, they have lost (around here) 1% of their revenue for that night. I've lost 15%. Some B&B's it can be 33%.
And I say it that way because I don't know any local B&B's who actually charge the guest for the lost revenue.
It's nice that Eric takes an interest in B&B polices. It would be nicer if he ran a small 7 room B&B for a month in the summer and had to realistically deal with what he's talking about. It's easy to say what should be done when you don't have to do it. (Heck, I do that all the time!)
BTW, there are posters on here from bbonline.
As to leniency in the winter...I saw an interesting policy I wanted to copy...'The no worries snow policy' if you cancel due to snow, you can use the deposit at anytime before the end of April. That seems reasonable.
Bree said:
As someone who regularly gets unfillable last minute cancellations, I would rather not have those people book. If the 7 day policy keeps 90% of them away from here, then that's good. It allows the person who wants a room to get a room.
I know there are areas & B&B's that have a low volume of cancellations, this is not one of them. Lots of my comp will email on a Sat morning to let me know they just got a cancel for that night. This happens pretty much every weekend. It happens to the places with the 7 day cancel policy, the places with the 14 day cancel policy, the places that have a cancellation charge, the places with no charges.
It does take some experience to get a proper policy for the location you're in. We started with a 2 week cancel policy. Then we went to a one week policy. The majority of our cancels are inside the week or just at the 8-9 day mark. Placeholders. They held rooms everywhere and then picked which B&B/hotel they wanted. I know this happens because sometimes I'M the place they decide to take. And they are happy to tell me (that they are gracing us with their presence) by letting me know they cancelled elsewhere to stay with us!
So in going from 2 weeks to 1 week, what we did to ourselves was make it harder to rebook. Some places are down to 4 days. In high volume areas it can be as high as a month.
Hotels and B&B's are not comparable for cancellation policies. If hotel X loses one room night at 6 PM, they have lost (around here) 1% of their revenue for that night. I've lost 15%. Some B&B's it can be 33%.
And I say it that way because I don't know any local B&B's who actually charge the guest for the lost revenue.
It's nice that Eric takes an interest in B&B polices. It would be nicer if he ran a small 7 room B&B for a month in the summer and had to realistically deal with what he's talking about. It's easy to say what should be done when you don't have to do it. (Heck, I do that all the time!)
BTW, there are posters on here from bbonline.
As to leniency in the winter...I saw an interesting policy I wanted to copy...'The no worries snow policy' if you cancel due to snow, you can use the deposit at anytime before the end of April. That seems reasonable.
You took the words from my fingertips and could not have been said better.... What policies work in one area may not be well suited for another.
As far as Eric's comments go, yes I too am glad he takes the time to be part of the industry.. but I also agree with Bree...on this end he has NO experience base in which to voice an opinion.
In my experience for my area and my inn (10 years), I have found that most cancellations come within 48 hours before my cancellation policy kicks in. I do not get many cancellations in general but some periods are heavier than others. My cancellation is 14 days, longer for events/holidays. I did a trial period of reducing it down to 7 days...and you guessed it, what cancellations came in were still within that 48 hrs before the cancellation kicked in. In 14 days, my odds are better to rebook... 7 days my odds are down to about 10-15% that I will rebook. This part protects ME.. I do not have a non-refundable deposit fee and do no take a deposit until the 14 day window is reached, if they cancel after the deposit is taken, it is forfeited unless we rebook.... As I said I have tried other policies, this one works for ME, MY Inn, in MY area.... YOU have to know what your market will take and go from there...

He said:
It seems unreasonable to me to attribute this Inn's "less busy than they should have been" status to a cancellation policy when you are saying they have a bad website. It seems to me if the website is bad no one is even getting far enough into it to even look at the CX policy.
We started with a 10 day cancellation policy...we had TONS of cancellations at the 10 day mark. We increased to 14 days, and since doing that have enjoyed unprecedented occupancy and far fewer cancellations within that 14 day time frame.
The bottom line...each Inn has to do this valuation for itself. Eric's comments are made from an incredibly broad viewpoint, and as someone who might think that volume is better than a lower occupancy filled with a more desirable guest. Blanket statements on this topic are simply irrelevant, it depends entirely on the particular Inn, the Innkeepers wants and needs, and the demo of the desired type of guest.
I am also so happy to see more and more hotels moving to a more restrictive cancellation policy...particularly when they offer an internet discount, you are locked and loaded, no changes to your reservation can be made at all. It just promotes a more researched and prepared consumer...make your plans concrete before involving your lodging destination. That's only fair to me as both an innkeeper and a frequent traveler.

He said:
It seems unreasonable to me to attribute this Inn's "less busy than they should have been" status to a cancellation policy when you are saying they have a bad website. It seems to me if the website is bad no one is even getting far enough into it to even look at the CX policy.
We started with a 10 day cancellation policy...we had TONS of cancellations at the 10 day mark. We increased to 14 days, and since doing that have enjoyed unprecedented occupancy and far fewer cancellations within that 14 day time frame.
The bottom line...each Inn has to do this valuation for itself. Eric's comments are made from an incredibly broad viewpoint, and as someone who might think that volume is better than a lower occupancy filled with a more desirable guest. Blanket statements on this topic are simply irrelevant, it depends entirely on the particular Inn, the Innkeepers wants and needs, and the demo of the desired type of guest.
I am also so happy to see more and more hotels moving to a more restrictive cancellation policy...particularly when they offer an internet discount, you are locked and loaded, no changes to your reservation can be made at all. It just promotes a more researched and prepared consumer...make your plans concrete before involving your lodging destination. That's only fair to me as both an innkeeper and a frequent traveler.
InnsiderInfo said:
Eric's comments are made from an incredibly broad viewpoint, and as someone who might think that volume is better than a lower occupancy filled with a more desirable guest.
After hearing him speak at one workshop about the perfect B&B experience - one that would allow him to bring his kids to a place that would have loads for everyone to do, plus all the high-end amenities, and then afford an opportunity for he and his wife to have a nice romantic evening maybe by providing babysitting - I decided he wasn't ever really going to be in touch with the average innkeeper or average B&B experience. His comments may be interesting but they come from his own place, which doesn't include the experience or desire to be an innkeeper.

He said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Eric's comments are made from an incredibly broad viewpoint, and as someone who might think that volume is better than a lower occupancy filled with a more desirable guest.
After hearing him speak at one workshop about the perfect B&B experience - one that would allow him to bring his kids to a place that would have loads for everyone to do, plus all the high-end amenities, and then afford an opportunity for he and his wife to have a nice romantic evening maybe by providing babysitting - I decided he wasn't ever really going to be in touch with the average innkeeper or average B&B experience. His comments may be interesting but they come from his own place, which doesn't include the experience or desire to be an innkeeper.
muirford said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Wow...that is really enlightening. I can't think of a LESS desirable b&b experience for myself than to have someone's kids even at the same property, let alone being babysat by strangers. This is making the whole "Diamond Collection" thing make a lot more sense...

He said:
InnsiderInfo said:
hotels moving to a more restrictive cancellation policy...particularly when they offer an internet discount, you are locked and loaded, no changes to your reservation can be made at all.
Good terminology, locked and loaded. I like it. You could make that the PREPAY terminology. Save $15 per night LOCKED AND LOADED (no cancellation) vs 14 day cancellation period. :)
PS For anyone not interested in this, it is good food for thought for all of us who wonder if we should change our policies or keep them in place or tweak them. Just because we hash them over doesn't mean anyone is arguing or being mean. Just thought I should clarify, I truly appreciate hearing all the viewpoints on this. Maybe there is someone who DOES have a way restrictive policy and is sending guests away rather than booking. Or maybe someone is letting too many "off the hook" so to speak and needs to tighten the hatches.

He said:
InnsiderInfo said:
someone who might think that volume is better than a lower occupancy filled with a more desirable guest.
"a more desireable guest".
As an industry, we will never get past that 4% of travelers by pigeonholeing a large number of them as undesirable. For instance, some Inns don't see the advantage of exposure on Expedia, etc, because of the "type" of guest they're convinced will result. That's almost as bad as all B&B Innkeepers being stereotyped by hotel travelers because of what they see on the sitcoms or in a bad review or two.

He said:
InnsiderInfo said:
someone who might think that volume is better than a lower occupancy filled with a more desirable guest.
As an industry, we will never get past that 4% of travelers by pigeonholeing a large number of them as undesirable. For instance, some Inns don't see the advantage of exposure on Expedia, etc, because of the "type" of guest they're convinced will result. That's almost as bad as all B&B Innkeepers being stereotyped by hotel travelers because of what they see on the sitcoms or in a bad review or two.
I'm not suggesting categorizing large groups of people as "this way" or "that way". By "more desirable" I meant better suited to that particular Inn. What I'm suggesting is that because each inn is such a personal experience, the innkeepers themselves need to decide if they want to attract any type of customer with a "heads in beds" philosophy, or wants to entice a very particular customer who they feel will most enjoy the experience of their Inn.
Eric's comments on the article you posted, I feel, reflect an opinion that values maximum occupancy as the primary goal. That is not my goal. My goal is to run a profitable business that I enjoy and which my guests enjoy, and I have found through our experience here at our Inn that I am happiest (and luckily most profitable) when marketing towards a very specific guest type...and that type do not have qualms about the details of a cancellation policy because they have made definitive plans before booking.

He said:
InnsiderInfo said:
The problem with getting Expedia, et al exposure is that it is closed to B&B's.

He said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Bree said:
Unless you go though that certain directory
confused_smile.gif

He said:
InnsiderInfo said:
muirford said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Wow...that is really enlightening. I can't think of a LESS desirable b&b experience for myself than to have someone's kids even at the same property, let alone being babysat by strangers. This is making the whole "Diamond Collection" thing make a lot more sense...
InnsiderInfo said:
- a place he can bring his kids...with lots to do.. plus high end amenities, opportunity for him to go out with his wife for a romantic evening...provided babysitting?
That's a chain hotel. Hilton. Weston. etc. And he would be paying lots for all those services too.
Riki

For FD: What happened? Did you rebook? Did you charge him? Did you hear back at all?.
InnsiderInfo said:
For FD: What happened? Did you rebook? Did you charge him? Did you hear back at all?
This is how it played out. I contacted him the Monday after the weekend in question and explained that despite my best efforts, I was unable to rerent the room and therefore he was responsible for 50% of the reservation.
I emailed him an invoice withthe total and explained that he could send me a check or use his cc on file and again appologized for the circumstances surrounding his necessity to cancel.
His reply was as follows (edited):
I must thank you for giving me this ridiculous notice after I had already left for work and did not have my check book. The check will be in the mail tomorrow so do not charge my credit card! I promise I will never consider giving your establishment anymore business, not to mention I will inform my sphere of influence of the kind of "understanding" you have given me. I can only hope you conduct business in a more transparent and honest way or that you simply go out of business.
Nice guy .... huh? *rolls eyes*

For FD: What happened? Did you rebook? Did you charge him? Did you hear back at all?.
InnsiderInfo said:
For FD: What happened? Did you rebook? Did you charge him? Did you hear back at all?
This is how it played out. I contacted him the Monday after the weekend in question and explained that despite my best efforts, I was unable to rerent the room and therefore he was responsible for 50% of the reservation.
I emailed him an invoice withthe total and explained that he could send me a check or use his cc on file and again appologized for the circumstances surrounding his necessity to cancel.
I must thank you for giving me this ridiculous notice after I had already left for work and did not have my check book. The check will be in the mail tomorrow so do not charge my credit card! I promise I will never consider giving your establishment anymore business, not to mention I will inform my sphere of influence of the kind of "understanding" you have given me. I can only hope you conduct business in a more transparent and honest way or that you simply go out of business.
I don't think you can get more transparent than having stated policies you follow. You told him on the phone when he cancelled, you informed him you tried to rebook but didn't and here is his charge. Here's hoping the check doesn't bounce and that his 'sphere of influence' (how OLD is this kid anyway?) is minimal and used to his outbursts.
Still have to wonder why the wedding was called off...there's a story in and of itself!

For what it is worth, the guest who chose not to stay, but didn't tell me until the following morning, has not challenged her charges nor blacklisted me. I hope that you can be as fortunate.

InnsiderInfo said:
FD not that we should rejoice in his dire situation - but what better reason to be a jerk to someone they do not know. I mean, if he is gonna be a jerk, then at least you know why and a small smirk is allowable at this time. Right? tee hee
devil_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
FD not that we should rejoice in his dire situation - but what better reason to be a jerk to someone they do not know. I mean, if he is gonna be a jerk, then at least you know why and a small smirk is allowable at this time. Right? tee hee
devil_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
devil_smile.gif
Yes, its indeed smirk worthy! (providing his check clears)

Back