The quest for the perfect Christmas Tree

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Every year I agonize over the perfect live tree. My criteria is that is must hold its needles for 4 to 6 weeks and look lush and full. I have tried Blue Spruce, but never again. Decorating that was like dancing with a porcupine. I have tried white pine and although it held it needles, it was too soft to hold normal decorations. Enough with the ranting and moaning. What live tree varieties have you had success with?

If you have a place that has cut-your-own the needles will stay on because it is fresh - Tree-lot trees are cut a month earlier to get them to the lots. Found an artificial tree in a second-hand shop in 2002 and have not looked back. Many places do not allow a real tree in a commercial establishment.

Seriously, consider fake. My sister swore she'd never have a fake... got one a year or two ago and she's never looked back. Up earlier, stay longer, look great, less cost.
I'm never had a live tree since I left home.
=)
Kk.

I can go one better than the typical artificial tree. I have a "pull-up" tree. Pull out of the big flat box, pull it up and hook at the top of the pole, and is already lighted and decorated. I have no room anywhere for a large tree, and live trees make me nervous. Far too many stories of house fires around Christmas time. Here it is in a photo (yes, in the corner of the Dining Room).
Copy%20of%20Tree.jpg

A guide from the Sunday paper on what to expect fron different types of trees.
The most important part is proper care. You MUST trim off the bottom when you are ready to set up the tree. Ask how long ago the tree was cut as the sap 'scar' will be deepr into the trunk the longer it has been down.
So, example, we got our tree and it was cut a week to 10 days ago. We took 2" off the bottom and started with a fresh cut.
Next most important is to never let the tree be out of the water once it is set up. That sap scar forms quickly. Once the tree stops taking on water, you have to cut the bottom of the trunk again. You should always cover several inches of the bottom of the trunk with water.
I've always had the balsams. To me, that's the tree that says 'Christmas.'

I can go one better than the typical artificial tree. I have a "pull-up" tree. Pull out of the big flat box, pull it up and hook at the top of the pole, and is already lighted and decorated. I have no room anywhere for a large tree, and live trees make me nervous. Far too many stories of house fires around Christmas time. Here it is in a photo (yes, in the corner of the Dining Room).
Copy%20of%20Tree.jpg
Hey I always wondered about those. It looks good...at least from what I can see:)

Sorry...husband is allergic..only artificial trees allowed here..
Blue Spruce were our favorites. But in my County in VA we are not allowed real trees in any public places like restaurants and B&Bs. Fire hazard.
RIki

Sorry...husband is allergic..only artificial trees allowed here..
Blue Spruce were our favorites. But in my County in VA we are not allowed real trees in any public places like restaurants and B&Bs. Fire hazard.
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
Anything like garland has to be treated here. But a live tree is ok as long as it's kept watered.

We always had good luck with Frazier Firs when we used to have a cut Christmas tree. We've had an artificial tree for years now.

I went out today and got a Frazer Fir. We only have live trees. There is just nothing to compare to the smell and appearance of a real tree.

I went out today and got a Frazer Fir. We only have live trees. There is just nothing to compare to the smell and appearance of a real tree..
Fraser is your answer...short soft needles and they hold 'em for a really long time. You will love it!
Also, try to cut it yourself so you can be sure it's as fresh as possible. Ours typically last 4-6 weeks no problem...it wouldn't feel like Christmas to me without the look and smell of a live pine.

Yep, Frasier Fir is a good one that's sturdy enough to hold your decorations, plus they are pretty! Speaking of trees, I better check the water in mine before I go to bed! It's a chore once you have the skirt all attached around the base and gifts under it.....
confused_smile.gif

Back