The quest for wellness

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wren

Reaction score
How do you stay well when everyone else is sick? If you are greeting a guest and they are obviously sick, do you shake their hand or avoid contact? What about cleaning rooms where guests are sick? Touching dishes, doorknobs, etc. I know its sounds paranoid, but if I'm not well, I can't work. Advice?

LYSOL
My weekend guests appreciated it as I told them "you will be smelling lysol when you get back" I lysoled door knobs, railings, etc BEFORE going into each room. Just common areas to get me started - then did the rooms as I freshened them.
We have already had H1N1 here in our family and it is NOT as bad as the media/gvmt is trying to make everyone believe. Unless of course you have a weak immune system. 36,000 people die annually from the regular flu in this United States.

I have an awesome product called "EmergenC", it is powdered vitamin C (I think like 1000mgs) and I take one a day during this season...when I start feeling a scratchy throat or runny nose coming on I take it 2-3 x per day. It seems to work really well.
And Lysol and many hand-washings, also we wear latex gloves for cleaning in guest rooms so not directly touching anything.

Two years ago I had the plates in my hand and was walking into the dining room - halfway there legs already stepped in when this woman started coughing out into the room, not into her sleeve or hand. I held my breath as much as I could and raced back out, but had to get RIGHT into her zone to put the plate down.
I was sick, yep, sicker than sick. Nearly ruined my Christmas plans and a trip to NYC and a stop at an innmates in PA. It was really horrible and I have never before been able to trace a cold or flu directly to someone, I did with that one! There was zero doubt.
Now, if it happens, stuff it, I will turn around and walk out and let the food go cold til it dissipates...it is NOT WORTH IT!
So just take precautions everyone...the season is upon us. Fortunately we are slowing down with guests in a month.

Our dishes go through a bleach rinse. We use a plastic tub and all dishes are in the bleach rinse for a couple minutes (Health Dept says 1 minute is enough) minimum and then they air dry. I use hospital grade wipes for the toilet seat, faucet handles, door knobs etc in the bathrooms and a spray form of it to clean the showers and the tub. I also use the wipes on the door knobs, light switches, and remotes in the rooms. Lysol gets used downstairs. I wash my hands often. Actually I am rarely sick. A few weeks ago I had a bout of needing a box of Kleenex sewed into my side. Went to bed early - for me anyway - and the next day all was well. I am fortunate to be healthy no matter what is going around.

For me, the key is not to allow myself to get too run down - sleep deprived, on my feet too many hours of the day, pulled in too many directions with the biz, family, volunteer work, etc. I rarely get sick but when I do, I can usually trace it to that plus being around someone who is sick OR taking a plane flight! I'm trying to get better at taking short rests when I can.

I work in many different enviroments. I handle sheets, dishes, towels, greet guests, shake hands (eeeek!) etc. Obviously I can't wrap myself in saran wrap. Guess I'll just have to take extra vitamin C and Ecinatia and hope for the best. Right now I have a room to turn that had 2 people in there sick as dogs. ugh!
sad_smile.gif

I work in many different enviroments. I handle sheets, dishes, towels, greet guests, shake hands (eeeek!) etc. Obviously I can't wrap myself in saran wrap. Guess I'll just have to take extra vitamin C and Ecinatia and hope for the best. Right now I have a room to turn that had 2 people in there sick as dogs. ugh!
sad_smile.gif
run in there and open the windows and spray lysol everywhere - bed, bathroom, knobs as fast as you can. Then come out and wash your hands in super hot water. Then wait as long as possible (at least a day) before going back in there. I think cold viruses can only live about 24 hours. Definately use gloves.

I'm not a hand shaker or a hugger, so that's not a problem here. BUT, if a guest was obviously ill I wouldn't shake hands at all and I would wipe down the desk and the pen after they signed in.
As for cleaning the rooms when a guest is hacking up a lung or sniffling all over, I go into the room with a Clorox wipe in hand and wipe down all the metal, plastic and wood surfaces before I do anything else. Including light switches on lamps. And I open the windows.
Sheets, etc into the bleach wash and high temp dry.
WASH YOUR HANDS with hot water and soap frequently during the day. (Hum Twinkle Twinkle to yourself while you wash. That's long enough.)
If I start to feel tired or my throat gets achy I lie down and rest. Best thing I can do for me, my family and the guests because, like everyone else, I can't afford to be down and out sick.

I forgot to add drink TONS of water, in addition to resting when you can...it really keeps your system moving at peak efficiency and kicks up your immune system.

Back