The reason no guest rooms should have a sofa

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
vent
I really wonder why we have, gee I don't know $500-$2000+, sofas in a guest room when they are simply used as luggage racks? Luggage racks are only $50, but for some reason the luggage will never make it onto the luggage rack, only onto the sofa.
and while I have the vent thread open...here is another one - Why must used washcloths be left saturated in a shower on the floor - with the "cleaner" having to stand there half in the shower and squeeze the friggin' things out before removing them and replacing with new ones. Then you have people who complain about towels not smelling fresh - well if we don't wash these immediately they will stink. But they have to get in line in the laundry room, so they are not washed immediately today.
and another...sorry if this is getting anyone down...btw
cry_smile.gif

For every guest who wants to read in bed, another ones to read in a chair and another wants to read on the sofa (or insert use laptop in lieu of read) so we need in every single room outlets and lamps in every spot in the room, this means like 6 lamps in a room, plus overhead. Meanwhile guess what this house was built in the 1800's! DOH!

Same goes with the daybed in our largest room. Rarely gets slept in, always gets used for a guest catch-all. Since I no longer accept three people in that room, am considering taking the daybed out and rearranging the room...don't want to get rid of the daybed, but don't know where I would store it either. Garage is already packed with all the porch furniture! sigh.....

We get that with the second bed in each room. And I just put the duvets out, so get ready for winter-time rants as I see filthy suitcases thrown onto the white duvets. Sometimes thrown right over the luggage rack, like it's not even there. You've really gotta heft that bag up and over these racks!
Sorry, guilty about the facecloths...I only use them, tho, if there isnt any bar soap. If I have to use body wash, I have to have a facecloth and if there's no shelf in the shower, I drop it on the floor and forget it's there.

My cottage has a chocolate colored velvet sofa in front of the fireplace. What a stupid idea. It never gets used for a luggage rack... I wish!
Instead, its the preferred place for guests to have their little fantasy in front of the fire.
Chocolate velvet shows everything!

My cottage has a chocolate colored velvet sofa in front of the fireplace. What a stupid idea. It never gets used for a luggage rack... I wish!
Instead, its the preferred place for guests to have their little fantasy in front of the fire.
Chocolate velvet shows everything! .
The Farmers Daughter said:
Chocolate velvet shows everything!
I would imagine it does.

Well, I'm right there with you on no sofas in guest rooms after having an antique sofa broken by a couple who apparently were on a one-night marathon! I do have a room with a sofa that I don't care about and another 2-room suite with a sleep sofa in the living room.
I'd rather have the sopping wet washcloths on the bottom of the shower than thrown over the shower curtain rod. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? There are shelves or towel racks in all the showers and all the stand alone showers have seats. Good grief!
As a guest, I'm guilty of wanting the lights everywhere in the room. I don't always want to read or use the laptop in bed. :)

Well, I'm right there with you on no sofas in guest rooms after having an antique sofa broken by a couple who apparently were on a one-night marathon! I do have a room with a sofa that I don't care about and another 2-room suite with a sleep sofa in the living room.
I'd rather have the sopping wet washcloths on the bottom of the shower than thrown over the shower curtain rod. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? There are shelves or towel racks in all the showers and all the stand alone showers have seats. Good grief!
As a guest, I'm guilty of wanting the lights everywhere in the room. I don't always want to read or use the laptop in bed. :).
Samster said:
I'd rather have the sopping wet washcloths on the bottom of the shower than thrown over the shower curtain rod.
Silly, that's what the antique wooden furniture is for.
confused_smile.gif

oooh, a lovely velvet sofa in front of a fireplace? how you can expect anyone to resist?

Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
I have sofas in both unites.Look between the cushions ,between guest.You might find "things" there. I'am not suggesting money(I wish).Mary in Bridgewater...
haha ... 'unites' ..... oh my.

Have made this comment before, so sorry for the repeat... One of my larger rooms had a sleeper sofa in it, well no more. Seems that a honeymoon couple had decided there wedding night was not complete without a 3rd individual!! And on top of breaking the bed part, they forced it back as a sofa afterwards. The 3 came down for breakfast (yes to my surprise) and during the conversation stated that the 3rd slept on top of the sofa, did not use the bed. A couple of weeks passed before I the sleeper was needed again and I attempted to open it to place on fresh sheets....WE still have choice words for that COUPLE!

Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
I have sofas in both unites.Look between the cushions ,between guest.You might find "things" there. I'am not suggesting money(I wish).Mary in Bridgewater...
haha ... 'unites' ..... oh my..
O.K. I changed the spelling. Aint it good now. What do you want from an art major ....Mary in Bwater.
wink_smile.gif

So, my rant about the duvets...go to clean a room and the 4' luggage rack has a pair of pants & a sweater on it. The second bed, with the white duvet has 2 dirty suitcase on IT. Ditto in the next room, clothing on the luggage rack, dirty suitcase on the bed.
Think about this people. OTHER guests are just like you and THEY, too, have thrown their dirty suitcases on the bed. Let's all band together and stop the insanity!

So, my rant about the duvets...go to clean a room and the 4' luggage rack has a pair of pants & a sweater on it. The second bed, with the white duvet has 2 dirty suitcase on IT. Ditto in the next room, clothing on the luggage rack, dirty suitcase on the bed.
Think about this people. OTHER guests are just like you and THEY, too, have thrown their dirty suitcases on the bed. Let's all band together and stop the insanity!.
Morticia said:
Think about this people. OTHER guests are just like you and THEY, too, have thrown their dirty suitcases on the bed. Let's all band together and stop the insanity!
What do you suggest?
One room this year made me laugh, same scenario as you describe only she had the luggage rack next to the bed with a pillow on it. What the!

Think about this people. OTHER guests are just like you and THEY, too, have thrown their dirty suitcases on the bed. Let's all band together and stop the insanity!.
Morticia said:
What do you suggest?
One room this year made me laugh, same scenario as you describe only she had the luggage rack next to the bed with a pillow on it. What the!
For me it's simply stop putting out the duvets. My other thought is to get small, moveable luggage racks that wouldn't hold a purse and let guests grouse about how we don't provide them with luggage racks they can use! Will actually be testing that in 2 rooms this year. These are rooms where the luggage rack just takes up too much visual space.
But, I have the duvets done differently this year. Instead of being folded at the end of the bed, I now have the quilt folded at the end of the bed and the duvet is acting as the coverlet. Oh, so much easier to make the beds! Same amount of 'stuff' but so much easier!

Morticia said:
What do you suggest?
Our luggage racks seem to be exclusively used to hold the decorative shams...it's an epidemic
regular_smile.gif

Same goes with the daybed in our largest room. Rarely gets slept in, always gets used for a guest catch-all. Since I no longer accept three people in that room, am considering taking the daybed out and rearranging the room...don't want to get rid of the daybed, but don't know where I would store it either. Garage is already packed with all the porch furniture! sigh......
We had one guest suggest we get rid of our new daybed in our new suite and replace it with 2 chairs! It usually does catch luggage. Only used 2-3 times for sleeping.

As a guest, I'm guilty of wanting the lights everywhere in the room. I don't always want to read or use the laptop in bed. :).
What irritates me is when folks flop their damp towels over the bedposts! We do have both towel racks and shower curtain rods for that purpose.

Morticia said:
What do you suggest?
Our luggage racks seem to be exclusively used to hold the decorative shams...it's an epidemic
regular_smile.gif

You mean the guests don't use the decorative shams as pillows????? Lucky you!

Minus a sofa, an armless rocking chair seems to be a favorite for romantic trysts.

Back