The Scream you just heard, was ME!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I offer a choice of meat for breakfast. I have tried several ways to get it across to people telling them and then in the Confirmation letter saying one per morning. Once again - a ONE_NIGHTER of all things, has chosen HIS meat choice and HER meat choice. I just went into my Conformation letter and changed it to read:

This year, guests may choose their breakfast meats (one choice per room, each morning of the stay please) from: ham, bacon, pork sausage, pork chops, or steak.

I have removed the venison sausage because no one got a deer for me this year and I am also now out of homemade pork sausage (until I get my 2021 pig I just purchased) so removed the word homemade from that - just used the last of that from 2019-2020. Need to investigate how a farm permit for a deer works. Sigh. Profit?

As a guest this would annoy me. I don’t want to argue with my traveling companion which breakfast meat we’re having that morning. Generally speaking, we have one option per day. Or, two, if you count nothing. We will do veggie sausage in place of pork, but not bacon instead of sausage, or vice versa.

I know you love offering a lot of choices, but offering pork chops and steak here would raise rates by $20/night.

Is there something that most people ask for?

As a guest this would annoy me. I don’t want to argue with my traveling companion which breakfast meat we’re having that morning. Generally speaking, we have one option per day. Or, two, if you count nothing. We will do veggie sausage in place of pork, but not bacon instead of sausage, or vice versa.

I know you love offering a lot of choices, but offering pork chops and steak here would raise rates by $20/night.

Is there something that most people ask for?

Bacon, venison sausage when it was on the list, and ham were the most popular. I offer steak because I buy it when it is on the manager markdown - then I vac-seal & freeze for when it is wanted. I bought another pig so when it gets processed the pork sausage will go back to being homemade. They are requested to choose the meat in advance, when they choose their coffee country. I do not care WHAT they choose, but would appreciate being reasonable. I am not charging $200 per night here. Sigh. I guess I am over my snit. It was 2 reservations - each 1-night at that - that made me scream.

If they can mess it up they will.. people think I’m crazy with my step by step room guest guide for the tv and ac but it works. I even leave the prominently positioned guest amenity box always OPEN in one bathroom because they otherwise can’t find the shampoos and soaps- I feel like I run an adult daycare some days.

We simply offer Ham one day sausage the next etc.... Your choice is meat or no meat. Simple and effective. Never had a problem is 8 years and our breakfasts are well known. J @ Oak Valley Inn & suites.

We simply offer Ham one day sausage the next etc.... Your choice is meat or no meat. Simple and effective. Never had a problem is 8 years and our breakfasts are well known. J @ Oak Valley Inn & suites.

You have not been around long enough to get to know my place. I have 3-guestrooms in a small city (pop 2300) next to a rail-trail. I am just under 7 miles from the Interstate with gobs of hotels between the exit and me. One room has a king bed with private ensuite bathroom, the other 2 have queens and share a bathroom that has a 60-inch shower. My "hook" is that I roast the coffee the guest chooses from between 20 and 24 countries (out of Yemen so right now it is 23). And since I bought a pig in 2019 and my friends harvested a deer for me in 2019, I also offer choice of meat. I am not a "high-end" nor gourmet cook. I use the choices to intrigue people. If that isn't enough, I DO offer them an opportunity to feed carrots to a camel and a zebra. I am also the only B & B in my County new - celebrating 25 years as a B & B in July - I am a VERY seasoned innkeeper who still loves what she does.

Our problem is people checking the box for both sausage and bacon. Even though I have a big “OR” Between them.

We see that too. I list a meat of the day, and people write that they’d prefer another meat. Huh? Not one of the choices.

Also, I say, pick ONE main course per person and I often get a request for two main courses per person. He’ll have the eggs and oatmeal and I’ll have the pancakes and parfait. Again, huh?

Our problem is people checking the box for both sausage and bacon. Even though I have a big “OR” Between them.
I'm not your guest, so my thoughts don't count, but would it be a value for you to serve both? I'm simple folks, fancy accommodations or breakfast presentation wouldn't move me but a generous country breakfast would get me every time.

I'm not your guest, so my thoughts don't count, but would it be a value for you to serve both? I'm simple folks, fancy accommodations or breakfast presentation wouldn't move me but a generous country breakfast would get me every time.

The problem with that is I do not have it thawed out AND if I do take both out of the freezer, they have to be used within a short time. I do not have a revolving door of guests (nor do I want to be that busy at my age - those days are behind me). The meat is a big expense and it is a pound of bacon and a pound of sausage I would be doing - each for one person. Plus the extra hassle of getting that ready (cannot cook in the same pam) and clean-up. THIS year it has been easier to do for them because when the freezer died I had to cook like a madman to save everything and then packaged it into serving sizes to freeze once cooked. I prefer to do fresh - it does lose something having been pre-cooked. It is still tasty, just in my estimation, not what I want it to be. Even though I am generous with servings (4 slices of bacon per person is what I serve), there is still more slices in that pound and I do not serve half pound sausage patties.

Oatmeal is not expensive, but it is a pain to have to do extra and pancakes require TIME and the syrup is the ka-ching part. IF others are there and have ordered so it is just an extra portion, it is not as difficult but as a special order? Grrrr.. (I would do it most likely but would not be happy about it. As we say all the time, we are not a restaurant.

You have not been around long enough to get to know my place. I have 3-guestrooms in a small city (pop 2300) next to a rail-trail. I am just under 7 miles from the Interstate with gobs of hotels between the exit and me. One room has a king bed with private ensuite bathroom, the other 2 have queens and share a bathroom that has a 60-inch shower. My "hook" is that I roast the coffee the guest chooses from between 20 and 24 countries (out of Yemen so right now it is 23). And since I bought a pig in 2019 and my friends harvested a deer for me in 2019, I also offer choice of meat. I am not a "high-end" nor gourmet cook. I use the choices to intrigue people. If that isn't enough, I DO offer them an opportunity to feed carrots to a camel and a zebra. I am also the only B & B in my County new - celebrating 25 years as a B & B in July - I am a VERY seasoned innkeeper who still loves what she does.

Sound like a very nice place. Maybe we'll come visit sometime. Stay healthy and happy

Not being rude but...Quit asking...
This has served us well. It’s ‘meat of the day’ around here and the options are ‘yes, thanks’ or ‘no, thanks.’ (Or, the veggie option.) We cook the sausage from frozen so we don’t take too many out. The bacon rarely gets turned down so we just cook enough for the guests. If there’s any left over it’s mine! (I don’t eat it all winter. I save up for the season.)

I buy bulk bacon and sausage then vacuum pack and freeze into 2guest size packs. Choice would be possible that way without waste, but I too don’t give a choice in advance. What’s set before you is what there is. That said, all guests (even Air) are asked in advance about food restrictions, allergies or preferences.

The venison was a big hit which is why I am out of it. Sigh! My friends did not harvest a deer for me this year.

If you heard another scream, it was one of joy. One of my repeats who gave me some venison in 2019 when I was out of venison just made a rez to come up in July. He just told me they are bringing me some ground venison!!! Woohoo!!!!! Venison sausage will be back on the menu soon! (for a while anyway)

Being from the South, I see no problem having a breakfast composed exclusively of pork and pork-related products. ;)
We were on vacation on Tybee Island and in Savannah. After five days I never wanted to see another pork product again. I started asking in advance because it was wasteful to serve me pork chops for breakfast.

We were on vacation on Tybee Island and in Savannah. After five days I never wanted to see another pork product again. I started asking in advance because it was wasteful to serve me pork chops for breakfast.

That is why I offer venison or steak

I’m in the NW. a few years ago one dinner guest requested - “Please - no salmon. We’ve had salmon everywhere!”
Good thing she said something. When the fishers were right across the creek I did a lot of salmon dinners!

Back