The Second B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is there some law that states BREAKFAST is included in the stay at a B&B or is this just something we throw in there to get bookings?
I am looking at a B&B website who is charging per person for breakfast. Guests have mentioned this to me as well, and also that if you wanted a HOT breakfast you had to pay, otherwise it was costco-muffin-ville.

I am not aware of any laws, but as a client I would "expect" Breakfast to be included. We stayed at one in Victoria, BC once that you paid for the second meal but it was very reasonable (I want to say $6-7). They have a lot of single business travelers so it made sense for them to do this. They are within walking distance to the Parliament Building.
Is it just me or do I see a LOT of really bad web sites? Research is becoming painful at some of these sites I am visiting...

Headaches will ensue if you look at many B&B websites, esp when you can't find prices, terrible photos and music or dancing leprechauns shoot across your monitor...
I was on a mission a couple months ago as I truly was trying to book a getaway and for the life of me couldn't find any websites that even gave me the info I needed to book a room. It was terrible. "Why pay someone when little Joey is real good at computers! He can make one of them up for us!" ugh!

There are no laws. I guess everyone assumes as tradition dictates..the a breakfast is included with a stay. If they are charging for a breakfast, then that would actually have to be declared as extra income...because most provide it "complimentary"...But that is not to say...it is not correct...if they get away with it...then hey...more $$ for them. Not what the majority expect though.
I know some "inns" who provide a light continental breakfast..and if you want more...a full breakfast....you pay for it.

I am not aware of any laws, but as a client I would "expect" Breakfast to be included. We stayed at one in Victoria, BC once that you paid for the second meal but it was very reasonable (I want to say $6-7). They have a lot of single business travelers so it made sense for them to do this. They are within walking distance to the Parliament Building.
Is it just me or do I see a LOT of really bad web sites? Research is becoming painful at some of these sites I am visiting....
Yes, it is hard to believe but there are some really bad B & B sites out there and many mediocre ones. And those are the folks you hear say " oh my guests tell us they just love our website!" RIght...they are going to say "your web site really sucks!"...what else would they say??? We are beating our heads against a rock on this one...they will not pay what it takes to have a good site.

In Michigan, breakfast cannot be charged for, or you are considered a restaurant, and have to have a commerical kitchen and all that entails.
To not include breakfast, we would need to call ourselves a "Guest House" or rent "Tourist Rooms". However, many big directories (like bb.com) require that breakfast be served to be listed. If you can't list on the big directories, you might as well plan on that "one guest a month" hobby thing.

I have 2 kinds of packages available.
The 'gourmet package' includes our signature 3 course breakfast by candlelight and complimentary bottle of wine ensuite (theres that word again) upon arrival. This is included in our weekend/holiday rates and is complimentary.
Midweek I have a package for corporate folks available M-Thurs called 'Lodging only' which is a reduced rate and exclusive of breakfast or wine because so many of them are out at the crack of dawn. (and to fit into corporate budgets).
I have never heard of charging per head for breakfast.

I would expect breakfast at a bed and breakfast.
I would not expect breakfast at an Inn or Lodge or Cabins (I think a couple people here have little cabins set up - very nice).

I would not expect breakfast at an Inn or Lodge or Cabins (I think a couple people here have little cabins set up - very nice)..
Crystal B said:
I would not expect breakfast at an Inn or Lodge or Cabins (I think a couple people here have little cabins set up - very nice).
There is breakfast, a muffin and coffee... if you want a hot cooked meal then you pay for it. That is the question - would you expect to PAY for a hot breakfast at a B&B? Seems many are doing this and guests are not happy!
smileystooges.gif

I would not expect breakfast at an Inn or Lodge or Cabins (I think a couple people here have little cabins set up - very nice)..
Crystal B said:
There is breakfast, a muffin and coffee... if you want a hot cooked meal then you pay for it. That is the question - would you expect to PAY for a hot breakfast at a B&B? Seems many are doing this and guests are not happy!
smileystooges.gif

I certainly would hope not "many"...I haven't seen this at all.

Crystal B said:
smileystooges.gif

catlady said:
Enough that guests are now talking about it at breakfast. So there are quite a few out there, unfortunately.

See, I actually like this trend...let enough b&b's do this and then guests will be most pleasantly surprised with the full hot breakfasts that we all do.

Crystal B said:
smileystooges.gif

catlady said:
Enough that guests are now talking about it at breakfast. So there are quite a few out there, unfortunately.
Hmmm wonder if Sandy Soule is seeing this trend. If you are Sandy, let us know what is up:)

From a guest point of view, if you call yourself a B&B, I would expect breakfast to be included. If I was staying at an "Inn" then
I would think it would be a nice touch but would not expect it.

It was always my understanding that the difference between a B & B and an Inn was that an Inn provides service for other meals. Not just breakfast.
http://www.visithudsonvalley.com/articles/lodge/inn_bedandbreakfast.shtml

It was always my understanding that the difference between a B & B and an Inn was that an Inn provides service for other meals. Not just breakfast.
http://www.visithudsonvalley.com/articles/lodge/inn_bedandbreakfast.shtml.
I think you are correct and that was the original definition of an "Inn". Every b&b here has "Inn" in the name, including us, but none of us serves meals besides breakfast.

Crystal B said:
smileystooges.gif

I would expect a hot breakfast at a B and B.

My idea of a bed and breakfast is that it not only offers breakfast free, but that it offers a HOT breakfast. I am so amazed at those B&Bs (I have seen a lot of them in the east) who charge $200+ a night and then offer a continental. Nope, not me, I'm not staying there!
There are no laws that I'm aware of that spell out exactly what a B&B is. IMHO, if a place charges for breakfast, then it's not a B&B.

It's not a law here but serving complimentary breakfast is in the definition of a "bed and breakfast" in our City ordinances. It doesn't tell you what breakfast should consist of though! I think that some folks will look at the room rate and if it's much over $100/night, they expect a pretty decent breakfast to be included. Heck, you get those hot & cold breakfast buffets now at most places with your room.

I once stayed at a place calling itself a bed and breakfast that provided food and a kitchen to cook it in because the county would not allow the owners to cook meals without a commercial kitchen, but the guests could cook for themselves in a non commercial kitchen. I will say that refridgerator was stuffed with every type of breakfast item you could dream up.

Back