The shocking truth about owning a bed and breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the list is from this forum. Pretty accurate too! haha

I can add to that one...people who show up with babies they never mentioned in the rez. And act like it's no big deal.

Sounds like the list is from this forum. Pretty accurate too! haha.
Joey Bloggs said:
that's what I thought!
As the author of the blog post and a B&B owner for more than seven years now, I really don't feel like I'm a "newcomer" to the industry - or this forum. For those of you who are wondering, I have been registered for a few years now; just don't have lots of spare time to spend adding my 2 cents on every forum I read. However, I do retweet some of the really good stuff from innspiring.com...
As for the list I provided, it is a compilation from Linked In, PAII, here and our local B&B Association - I guess we all face the same issues, no matter our location!
The funniest thing I found with that post was the incensed innkeepers who claimed never to have had a disgustingly dirty room to clean, or incredibly inconsiderate guest at their B&B. I'm not sure whether they didn't read the post, or perhaps they didn't like the fact that I was "airing dirty laundry"? :)

Joey Bloggs said:
that's what I thought!
As the author of the blog post and a B&B owner for more than seven years now, I really don't feel like I'm a "newcomer" to the industry - or this forum. For those of you who are wondering, I have been registered for a few years now; just don't have lots of spare time to spend adding my 2 cents on every forum I read. However, I do retweet some of the really good stuff from innspiring.com...
As for the list I provided, it is a compilation from Linked In, PAII, here and our local B&B Association - I guess we all face the same issues, no matter our location!
The funniest thing I found with that post was the incensed innkeepers who claimed never to have had a disgustingly dirty room to clean, or incredibly inconsiderate guest at their B&B. I'm not sure whether they didn't read the post, or perhaps they didn't like the fact that I was "airing dirty laundry"? :)
If I had to clean guest rooms every day I would have quit long ago. NOT having to see the messes that guests absolutely do leave behind is what makes it possible for me to smile at check-in and check-out and breakfast and while chatting with guests in the evening.
The other morning as the housekeeper headed to one of the rooms the wife pulled her aside and said, 'That mess is NOT mine!' At first I thought she meant something was wrong with the room and then I realized she meant the mess her husband had left in the room.

Joey Bloggs said:
that's what I thought!
I do not think I commented ON that post (as opposed to here) however I honestly, in 17 years, have never had to clean a disgustingly dirty room from guests nor had inconsiderate guests. My DH is inconsiderate enough with his requests for chocolate pudding to replace 3 inconsiderate guests. If you have been here a while you know we have a running deal with his %$^&* requests for pudding.
Raw wound today. Last night old friends came and we talked until almost midnight. They requested 7:30 breakfast and his royal self wanted chocolate pudding last night!

Joey Bloggs said:
that's what I thought!
I do not think I commented ON that post (as opposed to here) however I honestly, in 17 years, have never had to clean a disgustingly dirty room from guests nor had inconsiderate guests. My DH is inconsiderate enough with his requests for chocolate pudding to replace 3 inconsiderate guests. If you have been here a while you know we have a running deal with his %$^&* requests for pudding.
Raw wound today. Last night old friends came and we talked until almost midnight. They requested 7:30 breakfast and his royal self wanted chocolate pudding last night!
I've cleaned up after enough slobs here to know I have to have a housekeeper to get thru the season.

Joey Bloggs said:
that's what I thought!
stayparrysound said:
I have never had a disgustingly dirty room to clean, I HAVE BEEN IN IT where you couldn't walk an inch with their clothes and crap everywhere (to freshen the room). I have also doubled over when I opened a closet where I am assuming the mens socks lying there were registered deadly weapons. I cannot open that same closet to date without having a flash back and bile rising in my throat!
Edited to add: Yes, there was the time the person sprayed outside the toilet (floor and wall) with obv the green apple trot.

The point I was trying to make was the fact that cleaning up after others (as opposed to cleaning up after family) is that the same issues seem to be worse when it is a stranger/guest's hair...hence the diaper analogy. As for inconsiderate guests, again a lot of it is just lack of knowledge of what life is like for a B&B owner - they are not deliberately going out of their way to cause B&B owners problems.
PS Guillim House - could you pass off those little pre-made cups to DH?

The point I was trying to make was the fact that cleaning up after others (as opposed to cleaning up after family) is that the same issues seem to be worse when it is a stranger/guest's hair...hence the diaper analogy. As for inconsiderate guests, again a lot of it is just lack of knowledge of what life is like for a B&B owner - they are not deliberately going out of their way to cause B&B owners problems.
PS Guillim House - could you pass off those little pre-made cups to DH?.
PS Guillim House - could you pass off those little pre-made cups to DH?
I wish! He wants homemade and hot. Funny thing is that used to be my comfort food and he ragged me "how can you eat that hot?" Then one day he tried it and now I am doomed. I KNOW if I have had a long and busy day with an early start then next morning, HE is going to want pudding. No one has told him NO since he was 12 years old and had polio. He would be like the witch of the west when she got the bucket of water if someone actually told him NO.

I love hot homemade chocolate pudding too, but are you saying DH cannot possibly learn to make his own pudding? I mean, I know he has the physical limitations, but is it THAT hard to make pudding?
I think it would be healthy for him to make his own. Tell him I said so. That will no doubt solve your problem. ;-)

I love hot homemade chocolate pudding too, but are you saying DH cannot possibly learn to make his own pudding? I mean, I know he has the physical limitations, but is it THAT hard to make pudding?
I think it would be healthy for him to make his own. Tell him I said so. That will no doubt solve your problem. ;-).
You forget that he is on a no-fat diet. There is BUTTER in the pudding (he does not know that) and the more pissed off I am the more BUTTER goes into the pudding. He has offered to learn how to make it - but if he knew it had butter would not eat it any longer. It is one of his few pleasures food-wise and I would not mind making it if he would be kinder in his timing to ask for it. Arsenic is illegal - butter is TOTALLY legal!

I understand. Butter is worth the risks!.
After one very trying day and a rant to my daughter the cop, I said I knew some phone numbers who knew where the hefty bags and tide were and never saw a thing. She responded with - cement Mom, you need cement in that equation or it will be found.

I think i may be were you are Madeline-I think that I am underpaid for the job I provide and to boot the boss is being a lilttle nutty lately and I am thinking its time to hang the inkkeeping hat cause i can tell when i see a guest I just want to punch the living daylights out of them if they ask me one more damn question! So, I've decided that I will not be here at this Inn next year and that 7 years is enough for me-if I NEVER EVER EVER clean another toillette other than my own I will be a happy camper, If I NEVER EVER EVER have to get up at 5 in the morning to just be left waiting for a guest that said they wanted breakfast at 7 I would be a happy camper-I could go on but I think you all know how I feel.
Kath-you are a saint to do what you do for "his royal highness", I would buy cozy pudding and microwave it and put it in front of him...but im mean like that Ha Ha
Im seriously thinking going to college-I know im in my early 50s but kids are grown i have no ties anywere and why the hell not? You only have one life right?

I think i may be were you are Madeline-I think that I am underpaid for the job I provide and to boot the boss is being a lilttle nutty lately and I am thinking its time to hang the inkkeeping hat cause i can tell when i see a guest I just want to punch the living daylights out of them if they ask me one more damn question! So, I've decided that I will not be here at this Inn next year and that 7 years is enough for me-if I NEVER EVER EVER clean another toillette other than my own I will be a happy camper, If I NEVER EVER EVER have to get up at 5 in the morning to just be left waiting for a guest that said they wanted breakfast at 7 I would be a happy camper-I could go on but I think you all know how I feel.
Kath-you are a saint to do what you do for "his royal highness", I would buy cozy pudding and microwave it and put it in front of him...but im mean like that Ha Ha
Im seriously thinking going to college-I know im in my early 50s but kids are grown i have no ties anywere and why the hell not? You only have one life right?.
Definitely go back to school! At this point you know what you don't want!

Back