"the' showing..

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
Is it possible to set the bar 'too high'?
I couldn't get a handle on how the showing went this morning. I did what was suggested and modified my breakfast so it was 'nice' but not difficult or too fancy... answered questions and was just 'me'. My guests actually loved talking with the potential buyer... (they actually even helped a bit, without my prompting.... :) )
But when the realtor was talking to the potential buyer and guests about how wonderful everything is, and how beautiful and incredible the rooms are and the gardens and then she said... "she sets the bar pretty high"... and then later as the possible buyer was going through my cookbook she said... "these are some pretty big shoes to fill"...... !!!! grrrrrr.... Yes, that's a compliment BUT ... . As an Innkeeper aren't we supposed to be a higher standard? Aren't we supposed to offer the best ... everything, and cleanest rooms and wonderful surroundings etc....
Ok, so this may be my "post" showing nerves.... and yes I'm a perfectionist and wanted everything to go perfect... and who knows... maybe to everyone else it was 'perfect'... but I don't want anyone coming in and then leaving thinking... "I could never do that".
On a positive note.. potential buyer did say "this place is a gem! It's one in a million! You are not going to get this anywhere else in the Midwest" and she also thought my prices were too low!

Here's hoping that she thinks about everything and then says "yes"
lightbulb.gif

HOLD the Press... I just heard from the Realtor and she said "************** Loved every minute of it! She has attention to detail, loves to cook and garden. She is going to talk to her husband when she gets home and see what he thinks!
we'll see....

I guess the key thing is whether she thinks she can manage to do it all.....and that's exactly the right issue for her to think about. You presented a perfectly wrapped present for her to start with, and a willingness to share your expertise. Now the ball is in her court! Keeping our fingers crossed!
thumbs_up.gif

When we bought our inn, I felt a huge pressure on my shoulders. It's reputation has always been stellar and the POs had a loyal following. Especially when just getting an overview, your potential buyer was probably feeling the same thing as I was. When buying a successful b&b, the sense of responsibility to keep everything up to standards is overwhelming.
It's not until you're into the real workings of the place that you see all the problems! Remember the potential buyer has her rose colored glasses on. It's a wonderful thing she loves it so much!

When we bought our inn, I felt a huge pressure on my shoulders. It's reputation has always been stellar and the POs had a loyal following. Especially when just getting an overview, your potential buyer was probably feeling the same thing as I was. When buying a successful b&b, the sense of responsibility to keep everything up to standards is overwhelming.
It's not until you're into the real workings of the place that you see all the problems! Remember the potential buyer has her rose colored glasses on. It's a wonderful thing she loves it so much!.
The PO's here had a great rep for being super friendly and helpful. (Washing the guest's cars as an example.)
But food wise? We've got them beat by a mile even tho or meals are very straightforward and diner-like.
We did lose a lot of their repeat biz because guests didn't like our attitude. But we gained a lot of others who liked our attitude.

It's not until you're into the real workings of the place that you see all the problems! Remember the potential buyer has her rose colored glasses on. It's a wonderful thing she loves it so much!.
The PO's here had a great rep for being super friendly and helpful. (Washing the guest's cars as an example.)
But food wise? We've got them beat by a mile even tho or meals are very straightforward and diner-like.
We did lose a lot of their repeat biz because guests didn't like our attitude. But we gained a lot of others who liked our attitude.
Shoot me if I ever contemplate washing a guest's car!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
thumbs_up.gif

Here's hoping that she thinks about everything and then says "yes"
lightbulb.gif
and has a shed load of cash. = we just heard another B&B here is now going to be a house :( couldn't sell as a B&B
and has a shed load of cash. = we just heard another B&B here is now going to be a house :( couldn't sell as a B&B
I know it was 9 years ago, but..............
This house was built in 2001 specifically for B&B. When the previous owners sold it they where told by the estate agents to de-B&B the place because people would want it as a family home. They told us that everyone who came to look at it wanted it for B&B.

Back