The "Spirit" of an Innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trishany

Reaction score
First, be happy that you have the opportunity to meet so many different people, from so many different walks of life. And don't be weirded out if you have alot of things in common -- it's a VERY small world.
Second, know who you are expecting (call them if they don't show up at the time they say they will). I would give them an hour.
Third, greet them at the front door. Know their first names, and tell them they are very welcome in your home, and give them a hug, if you think they are open to a hug. In my experience, everyone loves a hug.
Fourth - Show them to their room, and watch their faces. I get such a great feeling when I see that smile come accoss their faces.
Fifth - leave them to their privacy. If they want to talk, you'll know.
Sixth - Serve an awesome breakfast. If they want seconds, they're available.

I don't believe I would include a hug upon meeting someone for the first time. I nice friendly handshake and big bright smile will do nicely. Maybe a hug...if you have really gotten to be good buddies..when they leave.
I certainly wouldn't want to be hugged by an innkeeper when I first set foot into the house.

To each his own.
A hug is not a normal thing to do at an Inn upon meeting someone. People might not appreciate it.

trishany said:
First, be happy that you have the opportunity to meet so many different people, from so many different walks of life. And don't be weirded out if you have alot of things in common -- it's a VERY small world.
Second, know who you are expecting (call them if they don't show up at the time they say they will). I would give them an hour.
Third, greet them at the front door. Know their first names, and tell them they are very welcome in your home, and give them a hug, if you think they are open to a hug. In my experience, everyone loves a hug.
Fourth - Show them to their room, and watch their faces. I get such a great feeling when I see that smile come accoss their faces.
You know what Trishany, I do owe you an apology. The bottom line is, we all do things differently and you do what makes you happy and works for you and your guests and so do the rest of us. This does not make any of us wrong. I'm sorry for 'goin' off" -you did not deserve it and the fact of the matter is, yes, I do appreciate this gift I have been given as an innkeeper, but I use a different kind of "sense" than you when it comes to doing my job and interacting with guests. You put it all out there and I read the cue's. I don't think my guests feel any less welcome in my place because I don't give them a hug a check-in and many are probably thankful that I don't! But MANY get hugs at check-out and definitely on return visits.
You are gifted (Not only in knowing names
wink_smile.gif
) but in exuding love and compassion to all that you meet and that truly is a gift and we are lucky that you share it. Some of us just can't do this with everyone, because we do get guests that make us triple lock our doors at night and put a chair under the handle and pray there isn't an ax sticking out of our head in the morning (oh, that would have been dh, not the guest anyway!)...it just depends on where you are. And yes, in the last two days, I have had ALL of my guests show up on my doorstep at the SAME time -all different parties with in-state plates, coming for a festival, even my dh agrees, there's no WAY we could know which was which without asking!
So, my apologies and peace to you and to quote the B52's-"keep doin' what you're doing, 'cuz you're doing it right!"

trishany said:
You know what Trishany, I do owe you an apology. The bottom line is, we all do things differently and you do what makes you happy and works for you and your guests and so do the rest of us. This does not make any of us wrong. I'm sorry for 'goin' off" -you did not deserve it and the fact of the matter is, yes, I do appreciate this gift I have been given as an innkeeper, but I use a different kind of "sense" than you when it comes to doing my job and interacting with guests. You put it all out there and I read the cue's. I don't think my guests feel any less welcome in my place because I don't give them a hug a check-in and many are probably thankful that I don't! But MANY get hugs at check-out and definitely on return visits.
wink_smile.gif
) but in exuding love and compassion to all that you meet and that truly is a gift and we are lucky that you share it. Some of us just can't do this with everyone, because we do get guests that make us triple lock our doors at night and put a chair under the handle and pray there isn't an ax sticking out of our head in the morning (oh, that would have been dh, not the guest anyway!)...it just depends on where you are. And yes, in the last two days, I have had ALL of my guests show up on my doorstep at the SAME time -all different parties with in-state plates, coming for a festival, even my dh agrees, there's no WAY we could know which was which without asking!
So, my apologies and peace to you and to quote the B52's-"keep doin' what you're doing, 'cuz you're doing it right!".
Willow .... I think you've hit the nail on the head. B&Bs by definition are very very personal and to a large extent (for good or bad) the experience is dictated by the personality of the owner. No B&B, therefore, will ever please everybody, everytime HOWEVER, if you do what makes you happy and it shows, people will generally cut you some slack.

I don't believe I would include a hug upon meeting someone for the first time. I nice friendly handshake and big bright smile will do nicely. Maybe a hug...if you have really gotten to be good buddies..when they leave.
I certainly wouldn't want to be hugged by an innkeeper when I first set foot into the house..
I agree....Different strokes for different folks. We do what works for us. We can offer each other handy tips & lots of great advice but no one innkeeper can know what will work for all of us except perhaps some basics.

Amen Sisthah. Every B&B is different because of the personality(ies) of the innkeeper. This is the reason people go to B&B's - to experience something unique. If we all did everything a certain way, B&B guests would become disenchanted and we would be out of business.

We are all here to share and glean. Sometimes we think our way is best, and perhaps it is in OUR situation in OUR B&B. We all strive to be the best we can. So from that we share what we can with others.
Fortunately for those viewing the forum about now the majority of innkeepers are on meltdown from too many guests in a row. We are delirious.
I like to express it this way - and btw we do miss the guests when they are not around - fish for dinner - sounds great! How abotu halibut and chips! Tomorrow night blackened salmon. The next night let's do some orange roughy in drawn butter. The next night some pan fried trout. The next night some mahi mahi with lemon capers. The next night some grilled swordfish in butter.
All of those are wonderful beautifully cooked and served fish dinners - but havign fish every night for 2 months get old.
That is what it is like being an innkeeper. Fish for two months, every meal, breakfast lunch and dinner, and oh throw in some kippers for snack time.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

We are all here to share and glean. Sometimes we think our way is best, and perhaps it is in OUR situation in OUR B&B. We all strive to be the best we can. So from that we share what we can with others.
Fortunately for those viewing the forum about now the majority of innkeepers are on meltdown from too many guests in a row. We are delirious.
I like to express it this way - and btw we do miss the guests when they are not around - fish for dinner - sounds great! How abotu halibut and chips! Tomorrow night blackened salmon. The next night let's do some orange roughy in drawn butter. The next night some pan fried trout. The next night some mahi mahi with lemon capers. The next night some grilled swordfish in butter.
All of those are wonderful beautifully cooked and served fish dinners - but havign fish every night for 2 months get old.
That is what it is like being an innkeeper. Fish for two months, every meal, breakfast lunch and dinner, and oh throw in some kippers for snack time.
98 room nights since Aug 1. 1 room has not had a 'day off' in 2 weeks. I'm beat. And yet, with all that, unless I book an additional 15 room nights from now until Sept 1, I don't even come close to last year's or the previous year's occ. Ugh.

I certainly wouldn't want to be hugged by an innkeeper when I first set foot into the house..
I THINK I said "IF, they are open to a hug".

I THINK I said "IF, they are open to a hug".
I'm a lousy judge of character (just look at some of the guests I've let in here in the past 2 weeks!) so I doubt I could judge in a minute or so if someone was open to a hug! NOT open to a hug might be easier! Some of them are not even open to 'hello'. It's more, 'Gimme my key, where's my room' slam the door in my face. And then bitch in the morning that they didn't know where anything was because no one told them.

98 room nights since Aug 1. 1 room has not had a 'day off' in 2 weeks. I'm beat. And yet, with all that, unless I book an additional 15 room nights from now until Sept 1, I don't even come close to last year's or the previous year's occ. Ugh.
Bree, You just go and go. girl. I f you need help, I will be out there in a second. All you have to do is ask

Bree, You just go and go. girl. I f you need help, I will be out there in a second. All you have to do is ask
Naw, the worst of it is over now. Now we start getting the retirees. All they want is a discount. And they usually stay a couple of nights so no constant turnover every night but no 'they've stayed too long' situations either. And it didn't kill me, so it made me stronger...

Naw, the worst of it is over now. Now we start getting the retirees. All they want is a discount. And they usually stay a couple of nights so no constant turnover every night but no 'they've stayed too long' situations either. And it didn't kill me, so it made me stronger...
okay, you seem like you are good. Yup, but I'm here for you and just let me know if you need help in anyway. okeydokey??

okay, you seem like you are good. Yup, but I'm here for you and just let me know if you need help in anyway. okeydokey??
What would you do with all your own guests since you are full every weekend?

What would you do with all your own guests since you are full every weekend?
Samster, well, you asked me --What!!! I swear, I really didn't understand the question. I tried,and read it three times.
Please post your questioh /comment again.

trishany said:
wink_smile.gif
So, my apologies and peace to you and to quote the B52's-"keep doin' what you're doing, 'cuz you're doing it right!".
hmm a hug, that is simple. Here if we have Mexican guests it is not only a hug, but a kiss on the cheek. Hand shake, hug, kiss. Yes, all three. The same on leaving ... oh, and in the morning when you greet someone. In fact, everytime you greet someone ... good morning, kiss on cheek.
Try getting used to that. Strangers you meet for the first time any where. Not people who work in a store, but someone you meet/introduced to.
When our guests leave, it is a handshake, it was nice meeting you, kiss on cheek. This is Mexico. Beware!!

trishany said:
wink_smile.gif
hmm a hug, that is simple. Here if we have Mexican guests it is not only a hug, but a kiss on the cheek. Hand shake, hug, kiss. Yes, all three. The same on leaving ... oh, and in the morning when you greet someone. In fact, everytime you greet someone ... good morning, kiss on cheek.
Try getting used to that. Strangers you meet for the first time any where. Not people who work in a store, but someone you meet/introduced to.
When our guests leave, it is a handshake, it was nice meeting you, kiss on cheek. This is Mexico. Beware!!
Well, my family is from Sonora, we don't hug or kiss strangers, even if we are introduced, it's hard enough to get any public displays of affection out of anyone in this family, you kiss your Abuela and Tia and that's it! Must depend on the family...
tounge_smile.gif

trishany said:
wink_smile.gif
Well, my family is from Sonora, we don't hug or kiss strangers, even if we are introduced, it's hard enough to get any public displays of affection out of anyone in this family, you kiss your Abuela and Tia and that's it! Must depend on the family...
tounge_smile.gif

I am usually the last one, I am good on the hand shake and wait to recipricate the rest. Business contacts is only hand shakes, but every one else so far is the kiss on cheek. If not on arrival (which would be rare as people are actually coming into your home), it is always on departure.
Maybe it depends on the part of the country. We learn something new about the culture here all the time. Every state is different from the others in culture, food and crafts.

trishany said:
wink_smile.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
I found that odd too, must be the area she is in. All the Mexicans I know and have know are more reserved if anything, not the other way round. Sure once they know you or are kin, then a peck on the cheek is in order.

Back