The Straight Dope on Facebook, Twitter, and SEO

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decide if you want to share everything with everybody or not. Instant personalization on FB..
I am big on my privacy, and even tho I know I need to do it, haven't done FB yet. This is the kind of stuff that makes it worse. I hate having to OPT OUT of things. What happens when I am to busy to monitor it, and I don't notice that something new has been done, and I didn't OPT OUT?

Ike, I am really flabbergasted about FB. It is not a love/hate relationship at all, it is a hate hate.
People ask concerned today, like my sister in Ireland "How is DH's sister in Queensland with that Cyclone!?" Me "Don't know." Finally reach them and get the reply "I posted it on facebook!" Oh gee, sorry for asking.
Then there are some good friends who ONLY post Bible Verses. Only. Every day all day. I guess they are trying to save the world via facebook.
I never wanted this much interaction with certain people now they air their "dirty laundry" on FB. "My father died today" what the! People what is wrong with this picture.
Then the policitical crap. Okay, so find a forum where everyone can dialogue? Not sure what people expect to come from that.
I only want it for the biz page, really, that is all. I might have to bite the bullet and leave FB. It wouldn't let me last time. It kept saying there was an error...yeah right.
So...what to do. Every link, everything everywhere is connected to FB. It is a cult aiming for world dominance.
PS My privacy settings are basically only ME now on every item on the list.

Apparently my grandson in Afghanistan only does fb. If I want to communicate I have to go to fb. I gave him a flip comment one time - and almost lost my head in the barrage of backlash from both him AND his mother - and it was a nothing comment. So I rarely say anything. His mother is the one i have as my alternate on my Living Will. I can guarantee if anyone is stupid enough to plug me in, she will have NO problem pulling the plug. I know who to choose for what.

Decide if you want to share everything with everybody or not. Instant personalization on FB..
I am big on my privacy, and even tho I know I need to do it, haven't done FB yet. This is the kind of stuff that makes it worse. I hate having to OPT OUT of things. What happens when I am to busy to monitor it, and I don't notice that something new has been done, and I didn't OPT OUT?
white pine said:
Oddly, I got the link off FB.
You can open a business account on FB and not a personal one. That way you can have a fan page for the lodge but not deal with all the personal info being leaked all over. The latest one I think is that if you, as a person, 'like' something, your name can now be taken and used by that company in their FB ads. 'White Pine likes this product! You should too.'
If the business only acct had been available years ago, I would have done it that way as I really only use the account for the business (and those grandchild videos).

Ike, I am really flabbergasted about FB. It is not a love/hate relationship at all, it is a hate hate.
People ask concerned today, like my sister in Ireland "How is DH's sister in Queensland with that Cyclone!?" Me "Don't know." Finally reach them and get the reply "I posted it on facebook!" Oh gee, sorry for asking.
Then there are some good friends who ONLY post Bible Verses. Only. Every day all day. I guess they are trying to save the world via facebook.
I never wanted this much interaction with certain people now they air their "dirty laundry" on FB. "My father died today" what the! People what is wrong with this picture.
Then the policitical crap. Okay, so find a forum where everyone can dialogue? Not sure what people expect to come from that.
I only want it for the biz page, really, that is all. I might have to bite the bullet and leave FB. It wouldn't let me last time. It kept saying there was an error...yeah right.
So...what to do. Every link, everything everywhere is connected to FB. It is a cult aiming for world dominance.
PS My privacy settings are basically only ME now on every item on the list..
I have my privacy set so high my kids have told me they can't post on my wall.
wink_smile.gif

white pine said:
You can open a business account on FB and not a personal one. That way you can have a fan page for the lodge but not deal with all the personal info being leaked all over. The latest one I think is that if you, as a person, 'like' something, your name can now be taken and used by that company in their FB ads. 'White Pine likes this product! You should too.'
If the business only acct had been available years ago, I would have done it that way as I really only use the account for the business (and those grandchild videos).
I am still confused, my understanding is that I do have to have a personal page before I can have a business page. Is this no longer correct? (I attended a webinar a couple of weeks ago where this was still stated.)

white pine said:
I am still confused, my understanding is that I do have to have a personal page before I can have a business page. Is this no longer correct? (I attended a webinar a couple of weeks ago where this was still stated.)
I can't believe that is true. I have set up several facebook pages for clients who don't have personal pages.

white pine said:
white pine said:
It was in one of the articles- either the one I posted or the one JB posted that you can open a business page (which is a lower-functioning personal page) so you can then start a fan page. It was done for people who manage a lot of 'properties' like bands and the like who don't want their personal page tied to the businesses they manage. You can only use your own name once, so if you have a personal page now you can't use that name to open the business page.
You can't do a lot with the business page. It doesn't have all of the the options a personal page has for friending, etc. But, you don't want that. You want a business manager's page.
If I were going to go back and do it all over again, I'd use my name for my personal page and my initials for the biz page. You don't really want anyone finding the business page (not talking about the fan page which is the one you want everyone to find).

white pine said:
I can't believe that is true. I have set up several facebook pages for clients who don't have personal pages.
catlady said:
How?
Is their inn page just a personal page with the inn name instead of theirs? You don't want that. I absolutely hate it when a business wants to 'friend' me. They need the page with the 'like' button. If they have that, they have to have another 'owner's page' that it is connected to.

white pine said:
catlady said:
How?
Is their inn page just a personal page with the inn name instead of theirs? You don't want that. I absolutely hate it when a business wants to 'friend' me. They need the page with the 'like' button. If they have that, they have to have another 'owner's page' that it is connected to.
No...I have done it with several local organizations I am sure..but maybe I should recheck. I don't remember it being personal account.

white pine said:
white pine said:
It was in one of the articles- either the one I posted or the one JB posted that you can open a business page (which is a lower-functioning personal page) so you can then start a fan page. It was done for people who manage a lot of 'properties' like bands and the like who don't want their personal page tied to the businesses they manage. You can only use your own name once, so if you have a personal page now you can't use that name to open the business page.
You can't do a lot with the business page. It doesn't have all of the the options a personal page has for friending, etc. But, you don't want that. You want a business manager's page.
If I were going to go back and do it all over again, I'd use my name for my personal page and my initials for the biz page. You don't really want anyone finding the business page (not talking about the fan page which is the one you want everyone to find).
I was confused--still am somewhat, but the fog is lifting. I remember reading those posts, seemed like most were prefering to do a bus. page off of their fb page. I would really rather not have a personal fb page unless I have to. Just not sure what to do. More coffee, and I will go back and review things. Thanks Do you all have a Yelp listing too?

white pine said:
white pine said:
I was not able to just have a biz page and that was/is all I want. You aren't allowed two pages, so the biz page is spawned from your personal page. If someone can show us otherwise, PLEASE DO! I will jump at it!

white pine said:
white pine said:
I was not able to just have a biz page and that was/is all I want. You aren't allowed two pages, so the biz page is spawned from your personal page. If someone can show us otherwise, PLEASE DO! I will jump at it!
Feeling muddle-headed today, but when the fog clears I may wander over to FB and just see how far into a business page I get. Any warnings of what NOT to do setting up?

white pine said:
white pine said:
I was confused--still am somewhat, but the fog is lifting. I remember reading those posts, seemed like most were prefering to do a bus. page off of their fb page. I would really rather not have a personal fb page unless I have to. Just not sure what to do. More coffee, and I will go back and review things. Thanks Do you all have a Yelp listing too?
Yes to Yelp. A guest reviewed us on there, told me about it and then I went and added all my info. They send a weekly stats report that shows 7 views every week. That's me checking for reviews. So, not a lot of traffic.

white pine said:
white pine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
white pine said:
I can't find the info. I thought I read it from one of the links on here, but I may have clicked off this link to another page. There was specific info that the 'business' page was different from the 'personal' page but you needed either of them to start a fan page. If I find it I'll post it here. (Right from the horse's mouth.)

white pine said:
white pine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
white pine said:
I can't find the info. I thought I read it from one of the links on here, but I may have clicked off this link to another page. There was specific info that the 'business' page was different from the 'personal' page but you needed either of them to start a fan page. If I find it I'll post it here. (Right from the horse's mouth.)
I have a non-profit organization's page linked to my personal page.
The thing that you have to be careful of (and it's right on Ike's FB FAQs link) is that if you want to protect your personal info, you need to make sure that you do any links, shares, etc. while you are on that page and NOT when you are on your personal account page.
Also, make sure that you are careful of privacy settings for your personal page if that's important to you.
It's a violation of FB policies to have more than one account, but you may set up multiple pages under it.

Back