The Straight Dope on Facebook, Twitter, and SEO

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decide if you want to share everything with everybody or not. Instant personalization on FB..
I am big on my privacy, and even tho I know I need to do it, haven't done FB yet. This is the kind of stuff that makes it worse. I hate having to OPT OUT of things. What happens when I am to busy to monitor it, and I don't notice that something new has been done, and I didn't OPT OUT?
white pine said:
I am big on my privacy, and even tho I know I need to do it, haven't done FB yet. This is the kind of stuff that makes it worse. I hate having to OPT OUT of things. What happens when I am to busy to monitor it, and I don't notice that something new has been done, and I didn't OPT OUT?
Oddly, I got the link off FB.
You can open a business account on FB and not a personal one. That way you can have a fan page for the lodge but not deal with all the personal info being leaked all over. The latest one I think is that if you, as a person, 'like' something, your name can now be taken and used by that company in their FB ads. 'White Pine likes this product! You should too.'
If the business only acct had been available years ago, I would have done it that way as I really only use the account for the business (and those grandchild videos).
I am still confused, my understanding is that I do have to have a personal page before I can have a business page. Is this no longer correct? (I attended a webinar a couple of weeks ago where this was still stated.)
white pine said:
I am still confused, my understanding is that I do have to have a personal page before I can have a business page. Is this no longer correct? (I attended a webinar a couple of weeks ago where this was still stated.)
I was not able to just have a biz page and that was/is all I want. You aren't allowed two pages, so the biz page is spawned from your personal page. If someone can show us otherwise, PLEASE DO! I will jump at it!
Joey Bloggs said:
white pine said:
I was not able to just have a biz page and that was/is all I want. You aren't allowed two pages, so the biz page is spawned from your personal page. If someone can show us otherwise, PLEASE DO! I will jump at it!
I can't find the info. I thought I read it from one of the links on here, but I may have clicked off this link to another page. There was specific info that the 'business' page was different from the 'personal' page but you needed either of them to start a fan page. If I find it I'll post it here. (Right from the horse's mouth.)
The way I read the FAQ is that you can have a business page only, but that it doesn't allow you to do some of the stuff that you might want to do ... Business accounts cannot be found in search & can't do that friend stuff?
Business accounts have limited access to information on the site. An individual with a business account can view all the Pages and Social Ads that they have created, however they will not be able to view the profiles of users on the site or other content on the site that does not live on the Pages they administer. In addition, business accounts cannot be found in search and cannot send or receive friend requests.
If/when I do Facebook for my business purposes don't I want to jump in the lake instead of just sticking my toe in the water?

Decide if you want to share everything with everybody or not. Instant personalization on FB..
white pine said:
You can open a business account on FB and not a personal one. That way you can have a fan page for the lodge but not deal with all the personal info being leaked all over. The latest one I think is that if you, as a person, 'like' something, your name can now be taken and used by that company in their FB ads. 'White Pine likes this product! You should too.'
If the business only acct had been available years ago, I would have done it that way as I really only use the account for the business (and those grandchild videos).
white pine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
white pine said:
I can't find the info. I thought I read it from one of the links on here, but I may have clicked off this link to another page. There was specific info that the 'business' page was different from the 'personal' page but you needed either of them to start a fan page. If I find it I'll post it here. (Right from the horse's mouth.)
The way I read the FAQ is that you can have a business page only, but that it doesn't allow you to do some of the stuff that you might want to do ... Business accounts cannot be found in search & can't do that friend stuff?
Business accounts have limited access to information on the site. An individual with a business account can view all the Pages and Social Ads that they have created, however they will not be able to view the profiles of users on the site or other content on the site that does not live on the Pages they administer. In addition, business accounts cannot be found in search and cannot send or receive friend requests.
If/when I do Facebook for my business purposes don't I want to jump in the lake instead of just sticking my toe in the water?
You can't send "friend requests" but you suggest the page to be liked.
Think of FB when you have a personal page as kind of like a cocktail party where you know various circles of people that may know each other - you can introduce your friends to others to find similar interest and hobbies. Think of the business page as a business meeting where you want people to find your business. It's electronic social networking.

white pine said:
white pine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
white pine said:
Think of FB when you have a personal page as kind of like a cocktail party where you know various circles of people that may know each other - you can introduce your friends to others to find similar interest and hobbies. Think of the business page as a business meeting where you want people to find your business. It's electronic social networking.
Just spent some time reading fb regs. I was under the impression that you can't "like" a true business page? Congested headache today, can not think.

Thanks, clearer, wish my head were. Reading the info on the fb set-up, it sounds like they WANT you to do a personal page, so much so that they even have and area to fill out a personal profile while setting up the BUSINESS page, which if you fill it out, changes the thing into a personal page, which can not be reversed. So essentially, it is the FAN page that I would build out about the business. Thanks for taking so much time on this, the muddle-head appreciates it.

Thanks, clearer, wish my head were. Reading the info on the fb set-up, it sounds like they WANT you to do a personal page, so much so that they even have and area to fill out a personal profile while setting up the BUSINESS page, which if you fill it out, changes the thing into a personal page, which can not be reversed. So essentially, it is the FAN page that I would build out about the business. Thanks for taking so much time on this, the muddle-head appreciates it..
Yes, they want you sucked in hook, line & sinker. The more people with personal pages the more other people that will join, the more ad revenue, etc.

white pine said:
That's what I just learned in this class: you have to have a personal profile to open a fan/business page.
Jutst find a 20-year old and ask them....they know everything about it.

white pine said:
That's what I just learned in this class: you have to have a personal profile to open a fan/business page.
karilyn said:
20 year olds with business pages?

Here's the deal: anything you post on the internet--forget the venue and their privacy concerns--can/may/will become public. No matter what FB promises, don't ever ever post anything on the Internet that you don't want a stranger to read.
Think of the Internet as the ultimate party line (if you're old enough to remember what that was). Only difference is, you don't hear a *click* when your neighbor picks up the phone and starts taking notes.

Here's the deal: anything you post on the internet--forget the venue and their privacy concerns--can/may/will become public. No matter what FB promises, don't ever ever post anything on the Internet that you don't want a stranger to read.
Think of the Internet as the ultimate party line (if you're old enough to remember what that was). Only difference is, you don't hear a *click* when your neighbor picks up the phone and starts taking notes.

Good analogy with the fishing lines and the dock! You can also customize the fan pages with different tabs.

Mea culpa all. I just found on Facebook where you do NOT have to have a personal page or a business page before you can create a fan page. And Catlady sent me a link to one she just set up without any of the above. Sorry for the confusion.

white pine said:
white pine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
white pine said:
Just spent some time reading fb regs. I was under the impression that you can't "like" a true business page? Congested headache today, can not think.
white pine said:
I think there are 3 different types of pages:
Personal page- the one with your own name on it where you tell everyone what's happening in your personal daily life. Ad nauseum.
Business page- a page you set up as the owner of a business, again using your own name, with the express purpose of creating a fan page without attaching it to your personal page. Essentially, FB wants to know that you're a real person, not some flaming spammer. How they prove that, I don't know. They will only accept email addies that they recognize like Yahoo & gmail because no spammers come from there. (Tongue firmly in cheek.) It isn't necessary to have this to have a Fan page. Similar to a personal page except missing a lot of the 'fun' stuff. (Possibly missing all of the annoying stuff as well.) Behind-the-scenes of the Fan page. Go here for setup info. (Thx Catlady!)
Fan page- the one that you name 'White Pine Lodge' to tell all your guests about what's happening. The 'fan' page. The one everyone 'likes'.
If you ever want a personal page where you share with friends and family, you can't have the same name on it as the business page. Because you're only supposed to create one non-fan page, you're kind of sunk. Again, how they tell, I don't know, but people have been booted for violating TOS.
You can have multiple fan pages on your business or personal 'account'. If you wanted separate fan pages for the lodge for 'water sports' or 'hunting' or 'whatever' you could do that.
  • White Pine Lodge (generic fan page that covers everything)
  • White Pine Lodge Hunt Club (Specific fan page for hunters of all sorts)
  • White Pine Lodge Kayak Club (Specific fan page for the water sports crowd)
Is it getting clearer or more confusing? I'll stop if I'm confusing anyone.
Think of the business page as the dock. Think of the fan pages as the fishing lines strung out from the person sitting on the dock. One person on the dock (you), multiple lines in the water (if you want, this isn't necessary) and each of those lines is fishing for a different guest type.
As usual, I am probably missing something. But this is what I've gleaned from reading various blogs.
Also, while I'm at the editing of this comment- there is another kind of page- a FB Place page. This one has a map of your location and allows visitors to 'check-in' similar to Foursquare.

Back