The tom tom debacle

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
So what should we do, anything? Is there a simple way to let people know that following a GPS over curving twisting winding backroads in the ice and snow is the HARD WAY and we have highways/interstates and regular driveable roads to get here via?
I have maps, directions, and innformation but we can't make people read, we can't force their hand. We can't get them to consider looking at a map and/or directions instead of trusting tom tom.
As guests arrive later and later, I am just not sure what to do about this, not worry about it at all, let them waste their time adding extra time (possibly hours) to their trip? Should I have a line saying again "PRINT MY DIRECTIONS TOO!!"
PS I forgot what we decided GPS stood for "G-oofy P-athetic and S-illy to not bring a map"

PS When they say they nearly turned back (and then we have the whole cancellation issue since your roads are not driveable, and they have been completely driveable ever since our Christmas day snow, the roads are fine, have been! The off roads are not)
Then we argue with a charge-back trying to convince the bank that YES OUR ROADS WERE FINE, as the weather channel makes it out to be the end of the world (for our 3 inches of snow last Saturday.)

Here's how I look at it (although I am in a different situation in re roads, but similar in re where GPS lands guests)- I gave them the directions. I have a full page on my website devoted to directions, maps, written directions, landmarks, printable maps w/directions. I tell them the directions are in the email if I talk with them.
If they continue to rely on SatNav and end up in another town and have to call, so be it.
We know no one reads the confirmation, but would it help to state in the opening lines of yours that:
  • 'The safest, fastest, easiest route to our B&B is listed below.'
  • 'We are located on a main thoroughfare. You should NOT find yourself on a dark, twisty back road to get here. To avoid that dark, twisty road, please follow the directions listed below.'
  • 'If you are the adventurous sort, please use a GPS to find our B&B. If you'd prefer to arrive quickly and with all your wits about you, please use our directions, listed below.'
  • 'Always wanted to run moonshine? Use your GPS for directions and you'll have a scenic, backwoods, whiskey-running ride! Prefer to stay on the right side of the law? Use our directions instead!'
All that implies anyone will even look at the confirmation. But, with a bit of humor, it might get fewer complaints about the backroads.

Here's how I look at it (although I am in a different situation in re roads, but similar in re where GPS lands guests)- I gave them the directions. I have a full page on my website devoted to directions, maps, written directions, landmarks, printable maps w/directions. I tell them the directions are in the email if I talk with them.
If they continue to rely on SatNav and end up in another town and have to call, so be it.
We know no one reads the confirmation, but would it help to state in the opening lines of yours that:
  • 'The safest, fastest, easiest route to our B&B is listed below.'
  • 'We are located on a main thoroughfare. You should NOT find yourself on a dark, twisty back road to get here. To avoid that dark, twisty road, please follow the directions listed below.'
  • 'If you are the adventurous sort, please use a GPS to find our B&B. If you'd prefer to arrive quickly and with all your wits about you, please use our directions, listed below.'
  • 'Always wanted to run moonshine? Use your GPS for directions and you'll have a scenic, backwoods, whiskey-running ride! Prefer to stay on the right side of the law? Use our directions instead!'
All that implies anyone will even look at the confirmation. But, with a bit of humor, it might get fewer complaints about the backroads..
Alibi Ike said:
I LOVE this one.
I always tell guests that "we know where we are located". And if they choose not to follow our directions, be prepared for a scenic, time-consuming, off-the-beaten path, trip.
And I really do emphasize the word "choose"

Ya know I never posted my blog article titled:
And the GPS said "Pull over you're making me sick!"
It is still there though, in my mind, with more and more people using them...I can only guess this Christmas brought a whole new slew of "why do we need a map/atlas we have a GPS!" crowd into the mix.

Above your directions you need to put GPS will NOT get you here! Please use our directions.

Above your directions you need to put GPS will NOT get you here! Please use our directions..
Don Draper said:
Above your directions you need to put GPS will NOT get you here! Please use our directions.
but in our case they will definitely get them here. eventually.
I have to explain to people but they don't get it. A GPS will tell you to exit at the very first exit that can cut across anywhere to reach your destination. Even though a highway or main road will take you there in two more exits.

I have a turn-by-turn routing to take people to the winery via covered bridges & craft shops. One guest comes back and tells me he thought the directions had to be wrong looking at the area but they stuck with the directions and there it was. My mental retort was why in the heck would I give people directions to something that were wrong? Don't you think I know where things are?
I get people from the DC area who will look at a map and say - look, US Rt 50 looks like a straight shot and a lot shorter! Even in summer, leaving after work, they will arrive after dark. They arrive bug-eyed and white-knuckled. US Rt 50 has more than a few "kiss-your-ass" turns (you kiss you own as you go around it). Great road for a motorcycle or a sports car but in daylight! (provided you do not find yourself behind a coal truck or a logging truck). But if they DO come the way I tell them AND insist on using the GPS, they are told to exit south of the Big City north of me and are treated to a narrow 2-lane (barely) country road with NO shoulders - on the road or in a ditch) that is a commuter route for locals who know the road but even locals avoid it at night - curves, ditches, hill with no white stripe along the edge, DEER, take your pick for the reason we avoid it at night. 2 exits farther down the Interstate it is still twisty but the lanes are marked and it is wide enough for that 18-wheeler to pass you in his lane with his wheels on your side of the center - even on a curve if you hug the outside edge. I let Brunehilda take me from the homestead to JB's!
whattha.gif
That is why Brunehilda resides in the drawer in the kitchen instead of in the car.

Above your directions you need to put GPS will NOT get you here! Please use our directions..
Don Draper said:
I have to explain to people but they don't get it. A GPS will tell you to exit at the very first exit that can cut across anywhere to reach your destination. Even though a highway or main road will take you there in two more exits.
Then they should know their own GPS well enough to know it will do that. I would still tell them it WOULDN'T get them to you, that way you're covered. It's not worth explaining, just threaten them with the worst case scenario, it's the only thing they will hear/read.

Don Draper said:
Then they should know their own GPS well enough to know it will do that. I would still tell them it WOULDN'T get them to you, that way you're covered. It's not worth explaining, just threaten them with the worst case scenario, it's the only thing they will hear/read.
Don Draper said:
We have really had to crack down on the later check ins, I know in the past people poo poo'd that on this forum saying what kind of customer service is that, but as we all know, we are up early with guests and work all day and then they don't plan accordingly and go the hard way to get here (as opposed to the scenic route on purpose) and arrive at 8 or 9pm. So we are really sticking to our self check-in after check-in time policy and it is working. They know it up front, so it workd. People are relieved to be able to get here when they can and know we are not waiting around for them. 99%.
After the 4am check in this year, it now states check in must be the same day you have reserved! That was not someone getting lost, well maybe enroute to a pub!

Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
We have really had to crack down on the later check ins, I know in the past people poo poo'd that on this forum saying what kind of customer service is that, but as we all know, we are up early with guests and work all day and then they don't plan accordingly and go the hard way to get here (as opposed to the scenic route on purpose) and arrive at 8 or 9pm. So we are really sticking to our self check-in after check-in time policy and it is working. They know it up front, so it workd. People are relieved to be able to get here when they can and know we are not waiting around for them. 99%.
After the 4am check in this year, it now states check in must be the same day you have reserved! That was not someone getting lost, well maybe enroute to a pub!
I am SO PROUD of you for sticking to your guns on this policy, and happy to hear it is working out well with the majority of your guests. We're only human, we need down time and to have lives too, if someone is expecting you to wait around 'til 10 pm for them then it's their problem, and they can learn something from it. This isn't an issue we should need to defend ourselves on, draw the line in the sand and stick to it. And any of us, all of us here, would be more than happy to wait for someone if they would CALL and tell us definitively WHEN they will arrive!

Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
I am SO PROUD of you for sticking to your guns on this policy, and happy to hear it is working out well with the majority of your guests. We're only human, we need down time and to have lives too, if someone is expecting you to wait around 'til 10 pm for them then it's their problem, and they can learn something from it. This isn't an issue we should need to defend ourselves on, draw the line in the sand and stick to it. And any of us, all of us here, would be more than happy to wait for someone if they would CALL and tell us definitively WHEN they will arrive!
Don Draper said:
Hear hear! I totally agree! If they aren't here on Friday by 7pm I CALL THEM. I tell them we're popping out for a bite and can they give our toll free number a ring when they are near so we can be sure to be back to check them in. Lets them know we have a LIFE. We also don't bring out the cheese and wine when they come late. THat's for check in from 4 - 7pm Period.
RIki
RIki

I've resorted to highlighting in red on their confirmation letter "GPS & online map programs do not do well in our area. It is highly suggested that you print driving directions and map from our webpage at:"
It seems to help. If I do get a couple that mentions something about having trouble getting to us, I just comment, "OH? You didn't use our directions?!" I no longer feel bad because I've done everything I can do to steer them in the right direction.
[/h3]

yup- when we had the B & B we would always send directions cause as K said-we have the route that we tell guest NOT TO TRAVEL on specially at night. But lo and behold they arrive as if they just got off a roller-coaster- which they actually did with the kiss my ass turns...ha ha. So when they leave we ask them would they want the scenic route or the easy route most tend to take the easy route unless they have a bike.
Cant tell people what to do.

We also place a notice on our site mainly for the online mapping tools as they always lead people the long way, or the wording of the directions causes miss reading and turning the wrong direction. GPS devises have different setups, you can set them to take you the fastest route (i.e. interstate) or the closest route and I believe there is a third. If people do not change the setup, they will be directed to any location in that manor.
We have followed directions to our place using our Garman and the different setups. Each setup takes us a different route... We no longer question why they went a certain way using their GPS to get here. The problem is as always, no one reads...

we are lucky as in the middle of a town and therefore GPS friendly but when I send the email confirmation I send a map attachment and a how to get round the back into the car park attachment. I often see people in their cars in the car park clutching the print outs so feel I must be doing something right. I started this after an incident at a 4 star hotel no less when DH and I went away. We pulled up at the front and there was no decernable parking but I knew from the web site there was car parking so nipped in (it was pouring with rain by the way) and was told there was parking round the corner and you needed a pass. got pass (no help with luggage offered) from map given found parking dragged large bags in rain round to the hotel and checked in very cross. Also when got back to car there was 5 cars in the same situation stacked up behind me. In a 4 star they should have allocated some member of the front desk team keeping an eye out with a brolly nipping out with the map as people pulled up and taking in the luggage so guests didn't get wet twice and sending the car park information with the confirmation would be helpful as it just said on site parking avaliable that was it. That day I said that aint going to be me.

In its infinite wisdom, our county created their own grid system for designating 911 addresses. This grid in no way shape or form aligns with mapping coordinates set down by the U.S. Geodetic Survey.
Subsequently, if you plug an address into a GPS, it will NOT get you where you are going. What I have done, besides providing detailed instructions to our guests on the website and in their confirmation is provide the actual GPS coordinates and if their too damn lazy for that, a bogus address that will bring you right to our front gate.
Since doing this, no one has gotten lost.
We are set back in the woods about a quarter of a mile from our front gate. It amuses us how many people call from the front gate to make sure they're supposed to drive down this small road that seemingly disappears into the woods. We actually had one set of guests turn around and then call. Their comment was "Well, we just kept getting deeper and deeper into the woods!" I replied, "Wasn't that the point?"

In its infinite wisdom, our county created their own grid system for designating 911 addresses. This grid in no way shape or form aligns with mapping coordinates set down by the U.S. Geodetic Survey.
Subsequently, if you plug an address into a GPS, it will NOT get you where you are going. What I have done, besides providing detailed instructions to our guests on the website and in their confirmation is provide the actual GPS coordinates and if their too damn lazy for that, a bogus address that will bring you right to our front gate.
Since doing this, no one has gotten lost.
We are set back in the woods about a quarter of a mile from our front gate. It amuses us how many people call from the front gate to make sure they're supposed to drive down this small road that seemingly disappears into the woods. We actually had one set of guests turn around and then call. Their comment was "Well, we just kept getting deeper and deeper into the woods!" I replied, "Wasn't that the point?".
I'm glad the coordinates are working for you! I tried that and my quests have no idea how to input the coordinates. Doh!

Back