The Top 10- A Year-end List of Peeves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Top 10 Peeves for 2010
  1. If they want to get theyt freak on, put the sex toys away when leaving the room. I don't need to see them strewn all over when freshening up. Oh yeah, and leave the pink stripper pole at home!
  2. Don't threaten me with a bad online review. It's a sure way to NOT get what you want.
  3. Don't book a say with us, then be surprised when you can't walk to a restaurant or shopping. I know nobody reads, but come on, the name of our place is XXXXX Country Inn.
  4. Guests who call and say they really want to stay with us, but we're out of their budget...what can we do for them OR They want the bigger rooms for the price of our smaller room. THEN STAY IN THE ROOM YOU CAN AFFORD!!
  5. Don't tell me you're a vegan then order one of our food packages that obviously isn't vegan. Or the guests who just booked, saying "no red meat/pork", but will then splurge and ask for bacon, but oh nooooooo, no other pork product.
  6. Guests who don't read our website, get here and are surprised about our location, property, etc, then make up horrible lies to get a chargeback (1 worked, 1 didn't this year).
  7. Guests who are uppity when checking in, treat you dismissively, then later after reading in the room binder about your background, buddy up to you and want to be your best friend.
  8. Disgusting slobs who don't respect their room and furnishings.
  9. Guests who want to tell you how to run your business.
  10. Family and friends who really don't "get" this lifestyle and can't understand why you can't commit to a lot of things in advance.
Number 7 in spades. We've had some engineers here who have had the worst attitude toward Gomez. After all, he's JUST a cook and housekeeper, right? Was probably born with a broom in his hand.
That's their problem. I used to hit them with the 10 US patents Gomez has, the book & papers he's written and presented all over the worls, etc. But I realize it's not my problem, it's the guest's 'little man' problem.
There have only been a couple of women who have been like that, it's mostly guys.
That is sort of not the point whatever people are or have done or are doing they should be respected as I guarantee that if most people had a clue how complicated our businesses are to run would shut up very quickly! Ie people who say oh what do you do after breakfast? We have had a friend of my mums staying and I said I am sorry I have to excuse myself as I have a lot of work to do on the computer and she acted like I was bonkers! people like that drive me mad! who think you have all day just to hang out with them.
Early on we had a guest who had life in total perspective. She cleaned houses and offices for her living and told me she used this as her rule of thumb to decide if something was worth buying or doing. She asked herself - How many toilits do I have to clean to get/do this? She was a delight.

#11) People who book your NYE package after likely looking at a dozen other packages, read nothing, and ask you at check-in if they get their free champagne now or at midnight? At our dumbfounded looks and answer of "Champagne is included with the meal at the restaurant that is part of OUR package", they responded "But it said so on your website". Um, nope it sure didn't. We cannot do anything with alcohol as we do not have a liquor license. Cue peeved looks on the guests' faces.
*sigh* But it's MY fault??????

#11) People who book your NYE package after likely looking at a dozen other packages, read nothing, and ask you at check-in if they get their free champagne now or at midnight? At our dumbfounded looks and answer of "Champagne is included with the meal at the restaurant that is part of OUR package", they responded "But it said so on your website". Um, nope it sure didn't. We cannot do anything with alcohol as we do not have a liquor license. Cue peeved looks on the guests' faces.
*sigh* But it's MY fault??????.
Remember, they probably looked at a dozen other places...and that is probably where they saw that! And once they realize it they will (hopefully) be embarassed! Don't you hate when you realize you are wrong in the middle of an arguement?

1. If they want to get theyt freak on, put the sex toys away when leaving the room. I don't need to see them strewn all over when freshening up. Oh yeah, and leave the pink stripper pole at home!
  2. Don't threaten me with a bad online review. It's a sure way to NOT get what you want.
  3. Don't book a say with us, then be surprised when you can't walk to a restaurant or shopping. I know nobody reads, but come on, the name of our place is XXXXX Country Inn.
  4. Guests who call and say they really want to stay with us, but we're out of their budget...what can we do for them OR They want the bigger rooms for the price of our smaller room. THEN STAY IN THE ROOM YOU CAN AFFORD!!
  5. Don't tell me you're a vegan then order one of our food packages that obviously isn't vegan. Or the guests who just booked, saying "no red meat/pork", but will then splurge and ask for bacon, but oh nooooooo, no other pork product.
  6. Guests who don't read our website, get here and are surprised about our location, property, etc, then make up horrible lies to get a chargeback (1 worked, 1 didn't this year).
  7. Guests who are uppity when checking in, treat you dismissively, then later after reading in the room binder about your background, buddy up to you and want to be your best friend.
  10. Family and friends who really don't "get" this lifestyle and can't understand why you can't commit to a lot of things in advance.
Number 7 in spades. We've had some engineers here who have had the worst attitude toward Gomez. After all, he's JUST a cook and housekeeper, right? Was probably born with a broom in his hand.
That's their problem. I used to hit them with the 10 US patents Gomez has, the book & papers he's written and presented all over the worls, etc. But I realize it's not my problem, it's the guest's 'little man' problem.
There have only been a couple of women who have been like that, it's mostly guys.
Only get a little of that. I do leave the alumni magazine around, so some notice the "Dr. and Mr." addess. Want them to know it is good to have a PhD if you are turning guest rooms.
And as for many of Morticia's gripes, we will not tidy or freshen messy rooms, and guests don't expect it. Trash, check TP and towels, clear used glasses. The rest is theirs.

*sigh* But it's MY fault??????.
Remember, they probably looked at a dozen other places...and that is probably where they saw that! And once they realize it they will (hopefully) be embarassed! Don't you hate when you realize you are wrong in the middle of an arguement?
suellen222 said:
I hate it, no one who stays here seems to have the where-with-all to realize their mistake, they just always assume that I am wrong.
sad_smile.gif

I have to just shake my head, the guy then said "I really don't like champagne anyway". But if it's free it's for me, right??? I do not love our cheapola winter guests. I am SO GLAD the holidays are over!!!!!!

Only get a little of that. I do leave the alumni magazine around, so some notice the "Dr. and Mr." addess. Want them to know it is good to have a PhD if you are turning guest rooms.
And as for many of Morticia's gripes, we will not tidy or freshen messy rooms, and guests don't expect it. Trash, check TP and towels, clear used glasses. The rest is theirs.
I am the same went into a room the other day and clothes all over the bed. Well I am not moving their things you get drinks stuff topped up and fresh towels if you put them in the shower for changing. I think most people who leave their rooms dont realise that someone will be comming to do the room and see it as theirs for the duration. saves my time in a way lol.

Back