The Top 10- A Year-end List of Peeves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I'm doing a Top-10 list for my website (not about peeves) but it got me thinking...so, in no particular order, here's my list of peeves from this year:
  1. Strewing dirty underwear all over the bed, floor and bathroom. There are only TWO of you, where did all those unmentionables come from???
  2. Opening suitcase and dumping contents on floor so no one but guest would want to enter room.
  3. Not reading (doesn't matter what) and then willfully believing it is my fault that I won't do whatever it is the guest didn't read properly (mostly check-in time).
  4. Not listening when I carefully explain how to open the door and then spending the next 3 days thinking I'm the butler and ringing the bell at all hours to come in the house.
  5. Throwing or dropping money on the floor and leaving it there for me to, what, pick it up and take it away, move it and vacuum, don't move it and suck it into the vacuum? (Dollars, not change. At this moment there is at least $30 on the floor in 1 guest room.)
  6. Placing the wet soda bottle, wet glass, wet coffee cup right NEXT to the coaster, thus peeling up the finish on the antique furniture.
  7. Leaving heat or A/C or both on when leaving the room for the day. Ditto doing this in the common areas and then going to bed.
  8. Blasting the TV in the room. If you are deaf, you know it, your family has told you, put on the closed captioning for the love of Mike.
  9. Saying there is a food issue which turns out to be only when it's convenient for the guest to have the issue.
  10. Cancelling and expecting me to eat the money loss.
Feel free to chime in with additions! And, Happy New Year!

I love you Mort
teeth_smile.gif

Working on my top 10 (many of which mirror your list) and will post it later. But know that you always make my day.

Guests sitting in the living room in their pajamas at 10:30 asking each other who wants to shower first when they are supposed to be checking out in 30 minutes. Along the same lines, guests who split up, leaving 2-3 members of their party behind while they go out 'to see the sights', again at 10:30.
None of them will check-out on time.

this is not just a one year peeve.......
folks scaming to pay less.........the lies, stories, whining, complaining.....

Interesting how different Don and Mort's lists are.
Mort yours seem to be primarily IN THE ROOM peeves. While Don's are more-so of the check-in and showing up variety. I think I know why too. Interesting tho.
Wonder what my list would be? Mostly when they disturb me? Ie smokers going up and down the stairs in and out the door 10 times per night? Lack of sleep is a huge peeve for me... Could be, today, that is the #1. Nice guests, don't get me wrong, it is not the guest, it is the behavior. (Do I sound like a Mum or what? I wish I was that nice to the kids when they get into strive!)

Ok, Top 10 Biggest Peeves for 2010:
1) Folks buying into the media garbage that you should try to get a discount on everything. We do not discount, our prices are an incredible value and if you are booking based on price alone then you frankly deserve whatever you get.
2) People asking "If we can just drop our bags off at noon and come back later to check in". No - I am not dealing with you twice and we have no place to store your luggage. You can wait 'til 2 pm check-in time like everyone else.
3) People who ask you 100 rapid-fire questions as you are trying to check them in and who are clearly not listening to one word of your answers, who will then ring the bell 600 times later to re-ask you the same questions.
4) When a couple checks-in and one of them is wandering around the common areas and helping themselves to cookies as you are trying to finish your spiel
5) Guests who cannot find the time to write a note in your guest room journal but still manage to take your pen.
6) GROUPS, all of them. Just so many issues. Stay away please.
7) Not calling when you are going to be late for check-in, waiting all afternoon for one check-in, leaving a note for self-check-in and then worrying whether they got here.
8) When there is only one couple or group of people in the house and you let them choose a specific time for breakfast and they are late. HOW RUDE!
9) Redeeming gift certificates when the guest thinks they shouldn't have to spend one dime out of pocket...if you want to cram your 70 year old selves into a TINY double room with a TINY bathroom, don't complain to me when you're not happy. Cheapskates in general really get my goat.
10) Probably my all-time biggest peeve: Someone asking "So what do you do all day after you're finished with breakfast?"

Mort yours seem to be primarily IN THE ROOM peeves. While Don's are more-so of the check-in and showing up variety. I think I know why too. Interesting tho.
Wonder what my list would be? Mostly when they disturb me? Ie smokers going up and down the stairs in and out the door 10 times per night? Lack of sleep is a huge peeve for me... Could be, today, that is the #1. Nice guests, don't get me wrong, it is not the guest, it is the behavior. (Do I sound like a Mum or what? I wish I was that nice to the kids when they get into strive!).
Joey Bloggs said:
You are right Joey, and it is likely because by the grace of God I do not have to do the housekeeping. This winter I AM doing it and I don't know how you all can look some of your folks in the face after seeing the horror that is the inside of their rooms. I love my helpers!!!!

Wonder what my list would be? Mostly when they disturb me? Ie smokers going up and down the stairs in and out the door 10 times per night? Lack of sleep is a huge peeve for me... Could be, today, that is the #1. Nice guests, don't get me wrong, it is not the guest, it is the behavior. (Do I sound like a Mum or what? I wish I was that nice to the kids when they get into strive!).
Joey Bloggs said:
Never even thought about it until I read what Don said. Yes, it is totally because of no help! I kept thinking that today, 'Oh if I only had help!' I almost called our summer girl to ask if she wanted to make some money during winter break.
Most of my complaints could probably be filed under 'rudeness'. I'm not your maid, butler or other paid lackey. I'm not at your beck and call 24x7 even if I do sleep lightly in case I'm needed. And you, dear guest, can just as easily bend over and pick up all that crap you dropped on the floor. Exercise those abdominals!
BTW, all that money on the floor yesterday was gone today. However, in its place was a variety of tags, receipts, crumbs, cans & bottles.
Can I add another peeve?
Guests who empty their car trash into the room. Really, you couldn't find a bin anywhere else to drop the McD's trash from 3 states away? And you had to leave, and this one really astonished me, the box your TV came in???? You don't need that in case it's broken when you get home? Imagine it, if you will, a cardboard box about 3'x3' dumped in the room and stuffed with other trash. Maybe they stole it and were getting rid of evidence. Who knows.

Joey Bloggs said:
You are right Joey, and it is likely because by the grace of God I do not have to do the housekeeping. This winter I AM doing it and I don't know how you all can look some of your folks in the face after seeing the horror that is the inside of their rooms. I love my helpers!!!!
Don Draper said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Slobs. I don't mind cleaning up after regular people. But we get a 'type' here that can best be described as 'entitled'. Drop it on the floor, kick it under the bed, the 'maid' will get it. Once it hits the floor, it's trash and I, the guest, don't 'do' trash. That's for the 'little' people.
Spare change on the floor or nightstand. Really? I don't need yer stinkin' pennies pal. I think some of you know Number One Son lives in Vegas. He told me that out there 'change' left in a room is an insult. I think I'll blog about that. If it's 'too little' for the guest to pick up, what makes them think I want it? Maybe I should upgrade my wardrobe. Maybe I look poor.
wink_smile.gif

Right now ...
  1. Tank less water heaters that give out for no apparent reason.
  2. Tank less water heaters that give out for no apparent reason - on New Year's Eve Eve
  3. Tank less water heaters that give out for no apparent reason.
  4. Tank less water heaters that give out for no apparent reason.
  5. Not one single repair man returning calls
  6. Tank less water heaters that give out for no apparent reason.
  7. Spending 5 hours trying to adjust water pressure etc but still - Tank less water heaters that give out for no apparent reason.
  8. .......
OK - you get the idea.
Things that are wonderful:
  1. Guests that do their very best to help you track down the source of the problem.
  2. Kids' of guests that tell you - even though your shower is cold it's better than Grandma's because her shower smells of fart (right now - I'll take it).
Thank goodness we have a plethora of kid friendly channels and movies and very cool parents.
Yup - a wee bit frazzled right now - but I need to make it work.

in no particular order:
1. people who threaten to post on TA when you won't give their money back (as per the cancellation policy that they read, understood, & agreed to when making the booking) when they cancel last minute
2. one night people who take all the spare t.p.
3. people who stain a brand new comforter (due to carelessness-i.e. throwing muddy suitcase wheels across the white quilt)
4. SLOBS. amended to add DISGUSTING SLOBS!
5. copied from above list-people who when checking in... go wandering off while you are trying to finish your spiel & of course later then ask all the questions you answered.
6. people who leave the a/c, lights, fan on & go out &/OR leave the windows/door open w/a/c on.
7. people who traipse sand all over the place without stopping at the outdoor shower &/or hose to rinse (part of that check in spiel they missed while not listening)
8. cheapskates & people who think they should get a discount (example- for staying a whopping 2 nights during a PEAK period)
9. HIPSTERS from NY (sorry!!!! we have many great NY friends!!!) who think they are low maintenance, but are actually whiney, crybabies!!!!
10. people who call & ask the exact same questions that are VERY clearly outlined in our very extensive FAQ section.
BONUS: people who call & want all kinds of info. about everything from the transportation to the local area activities, to the weather WITHOUT(you know full well they aren't) booking with you!

in no particular order:
1. people who threaten to post on TA when you won't give their money back (as per the cancellation policy that they read, understood, & agreed to when making the booking) when they cancel last minute
2. one night people who take all the spare t.p.
3. people who stain a brand new comforter (due to carelessness-i.e. throwing muddy suitcase wheels across the white quilt)
4. SLOBS. amended to add DISGUSTING SLOBS!
5. copied from above list-people who when checking in... go wandering off while you are trying to finish your spiel & of course later then ask all the questions you answered.
6. people who leave the a/c, lights, fan on & go out &/OR leave the windows/door open w/a/c on.
7. people who traipse sand all over the place without stopping at the outdoor shower &/or hose to rinse (part of that check in spiel they missed while not listening)
8. cheapskates & people who think they should get a discount (example- for staying a whopping 2 nights during a PEAK period)
9. HIPSTERS from NY (sorry!!!! we have many great NY friends!!!) who think they are low maintenance, but are actually whiney, crybabies!!!!
10. people who call & ask the exact same questions that are VERY clearly outlined in our very extensive FAQ section.
BONUS: people who call & want all kinds of info. about everything from the transportation to the local area activities, to the weather WITHOUT(you know full well they aren't) booking with you!.
As to #3- just checked in a couple whose first move on entering their room was to toss the dirty suitcase on the white coverlet before I had a chance to get the luggage rack in place.

What about checking in while ON A CELL PHONE CALL?
Then wave to you in a passive way "go ahead" I just stand there and say I will wait until you are free. Amazing how they can end it after that.

I wonder if my guest will have a NY's resolution to quit smoking? I might suggest it!
Too late for the room tho, it is a goner...another 3 full days of laundering everything down to the curtains to get the smell out.
I WILL be using the "Magic Zymes" as soon as they check out and WILL REPORT BACK TO YOU ASAP.

I wonder if my guest will have a NY's resolution to quit smoking? I might suggest it!
Too late for the room tho, it is a goner...another 3 full days of laundering everything down to the curtains to get the smell out.
I WILL be using the "Magic Zymes" as soon as they check out and WILL REPORT BACK TO YOU ASAP..
I think you can also throw MZ in the wash loads too...never tried it myself, so will be interested to see if it works for you.

My Top 10 Peeves for 2010
  1. If they want to get theyt freak on, put the sex toys away when leaving the room. I don't need to see them strewn all over when freshening up. Oh yeah, and leave the pink stripper pole at home!
  2. Don't threaten me with a bad online review. It's a sure way to NOT get what you want.
  3. Don't book a say with us, then be surprised when you can't walk to a restaurant or shopping. I know nobody reads, but come on, the name of our place is XXXXX Country Inn.
  4. Guests who call and say they really want to stay with us, but we're out of their budget...what can we do for them OR They want the bigger rooms for the price of our smaller room. THEN STAY IN THE ROOM YOU CAN AFFORD!!
  5. Don't tell me you're a vegan then order one of our food packages that obviously isn't vegan. Or the guests who just booked, saying "no red meat/pork", but will then splurge and ask for bacon, but oh nooooooo, no other pork product.
  6. Guests who don't read our website, get here and are surprised about our location, property, etc, then make up horrible lies to get a chargeback (1 worked, 1 didn't this year).
  7. Guests who are uppity when checking in, treat you dismissively, then later after reading in the room binder about your background, buddy up to you and want to be your best friend.
  8. Disgusting slobs who don't respect their room and furnishings.
  9. Guests who want to tell you how to run your business.
  10. Family and friends who really don't "get" this lifestyle and can't understand why you can't commit to a lot of things in advance.

Doesn't it all really fall under one word? "Disrespect" it seems to.
Stupidity, airheads, not reading, all of that is understandable, but the others on the list fall under disrespect.
What things can we do to correct this, or prevent this?
One thing we do, is as we want this to be a romantic getaway, and no we don't want it to be a place where kids toys are strewn all over the yard...but we do let people know in a few different subtle ways that this is INDEED OUR HOME as well. So for that, we have fewer hook ups and disrespectful or disgusting behaviors. That may not actually work, because people may assume that there is a lack of privacy and toys strewn around the yard. So it is a rock and a hard place really, to get the point across just right.
Another case in point. Pets.
Guests checked in yesterday and asked about our pets. Hm, asking because they LOVE pets or because they HATE pets?
Like the gal who after quizzing me on the phone and me telling her "I cannot control the outside cats, you may see one from a neighbors house" and then left in a huff and said "I CANNOT STAY HERE!" she left and good riddance.
So the fine line is telling them we have them in more places than one and hoping to attract people who love pets vs hate pets.
First morning of honeymoon, our full figured fella Emmett Bernard walks past a closed door (that has glass) the female guest shrieks bloody murder and races up the stairs! Her husband trailing after her in her wake... WHAT THE?
(You all may recall this episode in chapter 2 of our B&B life)
He apologizes, but they must leave, she is deathly afraid of cats. Emmett is offended, "Who me?" with his big saucer eyes and rotund exterior. No he was never in the guest areas, ever, in his whole life here at this B&B. But we are a family. Respect OUR family.
PS Theses guests love our dog, so that worked out! She is stand-in for theirs who is at a kennel this weekend. :)

1. If they want to get theyt freak on, put the sex toys away when leaving the room. I don't need to see them strewn all over when freshening up. Oh yeah, and leave the pink stripper pole at home!
  2. Don't threaten me with a bad online review. It's a sure way to NOT get what you want.
  3. Don't book a say with us, then be surprised when you can't walk to a restaurant or shopping. I know nobody reads, but come on, the name of our place is XXXXX Country Inn.
  4. Guests who call and say they really want to stay with us, but we're out of their budget...what can we do for them OR They want the bigger rooms for the price of our smaller room. THEN STAY IN THE ROOM YOU CAN AFFORD!!
  5. Don't tell me you're a vegan then order one of our food packages that obviously isn't vegan. Or the guests who just booked, saying "no red meat/pork", but will then splurge and ask for bacon, but oh nooooooo, no other pork product.
  6. Guests who don't read our website, get here and are surprised about our location, property, etc, then make up horrible lies to get a chargeback (1 worked, 1 didn't this year).
  7. Guests who are uppity when checking in, treat you dismissively, then later after reading in the room binder about your background, buddy up to you and want to be your best friend.
  10. Family and friends who really don't "get" this lifestyle and can't understand why you can't commit to a lot of things in advance.
Number 7 in spades. We've had some engineers here who have had the worst attitude toward Gomez. After all, he's JUST a cook and housekeeper, right? Was probably born with a broom in his hand.
That's their problem. I used to hit them with the 10 US patents Gomez has, the book & papers he's written and presented all over the worls, etc. But I realize it's not my problem, it's the guest's 'little man' problem.
There have only been a couple of women who have been like that, it's mostly guys.

Number 7 in spades. We've had some engineers here who have had the worst attitude toward Gomez. After all, he's JUST a cook and housekeeper, right? Was probably born with a broom in his hand.
That's their problem. I used to hit them with the 10 US patents Gomez has, the book & papers he's written and presented all over the worls, etc. But I realize it's not my problem, it's the guest's 'little man' problem.
There have only been a couple of women who have been like that, it's mostly guys.
That is sort of not the point whatever people are or have done or are doing they should be respected as I guarantee that if most people had a clue how complicated our businesses are to run would shut up very quickly! Ie people who say oh what do you do after breakfast? We have had a friend of my mums staying and I said I am sorry I have to excuse myself as I have a lot of work to do on the computer and she acted like I was bonkers! people like that drive me mad! who think you have all day just to hang out with them.

Back