The traveler. What trends can we expect?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Several parts of this article peaked my attention:
#8 - room/private home/condo rentals are on the rise....From a survey done in 2010, 8% said they rented out a room/condo/appt; the # has increased to 14% as of the 2014 survey.
#9 - in 2013 17% of U.S. leisure travelers rented them - that is 22 million renters....
- 46% of leisure travelers did not consider hotels
#10 Next Gen travelers.... there is a list of their travel characteristics which I found interesting!

Smaller market with more money
The growing gulf between the lower and middle middle class and the upper middle class. Our area's prices seem to go up and then they go up some more. Budget travelers will be choosing us less and a certain level of exclusivity is returning to our destination. OF course, this may be trouble if we end up pricing out the splurgers and fail to attract enough of the comfort zoners. So we have to stay close enough to the rising rates at the high end joints but not so far that our market falls away below us. I hope enough next gens have enough disposable income to make it work.

Some of the important parts of this article are: "Price buyers are consistently the least-satisfied guest,.... The most-satisfied people are the scrutinizers (those who do their research). I believe that that’s a major influence as to why we've seen major satisfaction improvements.”
Which answers the questions of why I don't appeal to an older crowd, they are price buyers and I won't cut price for them.
And where I don't totally agree... "they’re spontaneous with their travel plans". I think this depend on culture and those who are scrutinizers often book further ahead realizing that the best of places book up quickly. But culturally, I have to tell you that we see the most "last minute" reservations from two places, one is a country and the other is a particular city. And throughout the last month... they have been sorely disappointed with me. I haven't book a single room with any of them who called on the day of arrival... I've been prebooked.
In fact, we have seem more last-minute calls this year than ever before, paying higher prices and ending up staying at worse and worse places. The worst hotel in the city... a place that only wishes that ladies of the night would go there, as an improvement from their current clientele, was selling for over $250 a night this labour day weekend. (And you would have to pay me at least 10x that to get me to sleep there on a bet and I would need to be really desperate for money to agree.)

Hi! This is timely- thank you for sharing. I've been on the forums for a bit, but haven't introduced myself yet because "my band is in still in the garage phase," so to speak. I dreamt of my someday inn for the past 20 years... and oh so wisely worked on my furniture collection instead of my innkeeping education.
Several months ago, I accidentally found a property that's a near perfect fit, so I've been devouring every relevant word I can get my hands on, including combing through the forums. BTW, not in a creepy way, it feels like I know you guys a teeny bit already.
wink_smile.gif

So I'm sweating blood laboring over my business plan, wondering where in the world all the current market research is hiding...and decide to hit the forums again. So awesome, thanks for the tidbit!
I can vouch for the next gen traits in the article. The millennials I've come across are up for going just about anywhere, want to experience something out of the ordinary, and aren't bargain shoppers in general.. at least if they don't have kids yet. And digital? You mean oxygen... they can go without it, but not for long.

just feel sad today :( yet another of my good Bb chums is selling up - lovely person and really nice place - is going to retire.
Trouble is most that are currently up for sale will become houses - as just too expensive to run without a large deposit.

Hi! This is timely- thank you for sharing. I've been on the forums for a bit, but haven't introduced myself yet because "my band is in still in the garage phase," so to speak. I dreamt of my someday inn for the past 20 years... and oh so wisely worked on my furniture collection instead of my innkeeping education.
Several months ago, I accidentally found a property that's a near perfect fit, so I've been devouring every relevant word I can get my hands on, including combing through the forums. BTW, not in a creepy way, it feels like I know you guys a teeny bit already.
wink_smile.gif

So I'm sweating blood laboring over my business plan, wondering where in the world all the current market research is hiding...and decide to hit the forums again. So awesome, thanks for the tidbit!
I can vouch for the next gen traits in the article. The millennials I've come across are up for going just about anywhere, want to experience something out of the ordinary, and aren't bargain shoppers in general.. at least if they don't have kids yet. And digital? You mean oxygen... they can go without it, but not for long..
Welcome and good luck

Happy Keeper hit it right on the head. When we travel, we will always try to find a B&B, however, in some of the tourist areas,we find that we can't afford them. $200.00 + per night is not in our budget, yet you can still find a hotel for $100.00. We tend to keep our prices in a very affordable range and quantity of bookings makes up for the price differential of charging too much and getting fewer reservations. Good Luck to you Rosebud, as you will love the B&B world and will meet fine folks from the four corners of the globe. Indeed an exhilarating experience.

wink_smile.gif

I can vouch for the next gen traits in the article. The millennials I've come across are up for going just about anywhere, want to experience something out of the ordinary, and aren't bargain shoppers in general.. at least if they don't have kids yet. And digital? You mean oxygen... they can go without it, but not for long..
Welcome and may all work for you.

This is odd: In my experience here, yes, they want a boutique property, but that is NOT a B&B. It's a boutique hotel. Or a VERY upscale B&B. They don't talk to each other at all, so not sure why they care how many other people are with them. They certainly don't share experiences with strangers, at all. I think the 'authentic' experience might involve hooking up with a local in an exotic locale, but not the unique experience offered by staying with people who look like their parents. Spontaneous, yes. They arrive when they feel like it, depart when they feel like it and show up for breakfast if they feel like it.
But, the ones who understand what they're getting into staying at a B&B seem to enjoy the experience and like the suggestions of where to go and what to see. They appreciate the insider tips on local joints they should try. And what's a waste of time.
they’re seeking a unique, authentic experience;
they prefer to stay at smaller, boutique properties versus the larger hotels;
they’re spontaneous with their travel plans;
they believe in the old adage of “the more the merrier” and they look forward to meeting new people and sharing experiences;
but they’re happy to travel solo as well; and
they’re big on digital.

Before we were B&B owners, we looked for B&Bs to stay in. Early into our innkeeping career, we'd sneak away and choose a B&B. Then two things happened -- (1) we had kids who we wanted to start taking with us and found that a vacation rental condo was so much better for our family as we could have a private room and so could our kids and it was less expensive than two adjoining rooms; and (2) we found that we were thinking too much about the business when we were on vacation either finding stuff we should be doing like the B&B or how they weren't doing stuff up to our liking. We couldn't turn the innkeeping off when we were in a B&B or inn - we don't have that problem when in a condo as there's no comparison. I now realize that our guests who have gotten married here in the last several years are now going elsewhere because we don't take kids and once they get families that they want to start taking on trips they tend to go to a hotel because the kids want a pool, more amenities, etc.
So this explains why we have younger guests and then older guests and fewer that are in the 30s and 40s because they have kids that they are traveling with and the B&B doesn't fit anymore. My new website video is going to focus on the younger crowd with all of the outdoor activities because I find them much less needy, they never ask for a discount by throwing out AAA, AARP, I was a veteran 40 years ago, etc. and the only negative reviews we've ever gotten were from retired guests.

Before we were B&B owners, we looked for B&Bs to stay in. Early into our innkeeping career, we'd sneak away and choose a B&B. Then two things happened -- (1) we had kids who we wanted to start taking with us and found that a vacation rental condo was so much better for our family as we could have a private room and so could our kids and it was less expensive than two adjoining rooms; and (2) we found that we were thinking too much about the business when we were on vacation either finding stuff we should be doing like the B&B or how they weren't doing stuff up to our liking. We couldn't turn the innkeeping off when we were in a B&B or inn - we don't have that problem when in a condo as there's no comparison. I now realize that our guests who have gotten married here in the last several years are now going elsewhere because we don't take kids and once they get families that they want to start taking on trips they tend to go to a hotel because the kids want a pool, more amenities, etc.
So this explains why we have younger guests and then older guests and fewer that are in the 30s and 40s because they have kids that they are traveling with and the B&B doesn't fit anymore. My new website video is going to focus on the younger crowd with all of the outdoor activities because I find them much less needy, they never ask for a discount by throwing out AAA, AARP, I was a veteran 40 years ago, etc. and the only negative reviews we've ever gotten were from retired guests..
Not here. You just shared why we don't accept kids, as our "in between" guests and why they ARE HERE for special occasions like anniversaries/birthdays and leave the kids with someone to care for while gone.
As a parent I go elsewhere because I want amenities that B&B's don't typically avg. Here come my guests, I need to say more later...

So this explains why we have younger guests and then older guests and fewer that are in the 30s and 40s because they have kids that they are traveling with and the B&B doesn't fit anymore. My new website video is going to focus on the younger crowd with all of the outdoor activities because I find them much less needy, they never ask for a discount by throwing out AAA, AARP, I was a veteran 40 years ago, etc. and the only negative reviews we've ever gotten were from retired guests..
One thing I have to remind myself when I read our comments here is that each B&B is so different. Whereas you may be a destination you would have more vacationers Mtnkeeper, as an end destination, vs our place.
So for that, we do have more shorter stays that are celebratory.
As a family, we would prefer what you mentioned as a cost saver so we can cook all of our own meals and store all of our own food. That is important to us. The last thing we want, not just cost wise but health wise is to eat out every meal.
As for a hotel, we don't love those at all, but they are flexible. So whilst traveling that is important to us, as plans change. I am not fond of the prepay deals either, again, plans change. I have seen some killer deals for Savannah and Charleston lately which I have an urge to grab, but have already had to lose out on one this year, so will hold back.

With the number of kids we had - and we traveled all over the country with them - I had no qualms about accepting kids. The key point here is that we are SMALL. For me, it was a way to in addition to luring guests, was an opportunity to educate the kids in the joys of traveling B & B. If they never experience it, they have no clue what it is all about. We truly enjoy patronizing businesses while they are in their infancy and training the next generation of B & B guests in the knowledge of how nice a B & B is and how they were treated at that B & B when they were young.
I do have breakables all over the place. I also set the table for the kids (toddlers and above) the same way I set it for the adults. I have a setting of child's silverware in my silverplate. They get the Fostoria wine/juice goblet - they can handle the stem easier than a glass. So far, no disasters. The few times we had cranky babies, they were the only ones in the house. We rarely get families, BTW, but it is a possible. I do not think it has hurt us much as we still get a majority of couples.

Back